Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 05-03-2010, 19:05   #1
B.Reid

Eaa 10 mm?

Anyone have one of these? The prices are right but do they hold up? Tell me about it.

Earth has always been a dangerous place to live. Be prepared!
B.Reid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2010, 19:12   #2
TACC GLOCK
SEMPER FIDELIS

For about $400 I was looking to try one also.
Old 05-04-2010, 07:12   #3
HOV

$400 is most of the way to a new G20 or G29. I'd rather get two of the same Glock 10mm pistol than one Glock and one EAA.

Two is one, one is none.

Glocks share mags, barrels, other parts, EAA shares nothing...
HOV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2010, 07:33   #4
B.Reid

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOV View Post
$400 is most of the way to a new G20 or G29. I'd rather get two of the same Glock 10mm pistol than one Glock and one EAA.

Two is one, one is none.

Glocks share mags, barrels, other parts, EAA shares nothing...
I already have a G20, no interest in a G29.

Old 05-07-2010, 14:23   #5
why

I have a fullsize metal in 10mm and love it. Also bought the factory 40 bbl for it too. I plan on buying a compact metal Tanfoglio for carry if it is as reliable as my fullsize.
fwiw, I've read that the polymers may be finicky but have no firsthand experience.
why is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2010, 14:42   #6
Retired Squid

The problem with these guns is if you do need warranty service EAA the importer for Tanfoglio has a very poor reputation. Like many others, been there done that. If not for the importer I would still own one.
Old 05-09-2010, 09:44   #7
preventec47

I too am drawn by the siren song of EAA. To be able to have 15 plus 1 in a full size steel frame attractive pistol manufactured by the Italians that have a good reputation for less than $450 is very very tempting.

My computer screen wall paper has been of a huge closeup of the EAA pistol for quite a while now. Just like pinups of girls when I was a teenager.

Last edited by preventec47; 03-04-2012 at 01:02..
preventec47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2010, 10:48   #8
B.Reid

So how is the quality of these guns?

Old 05-09-2010, 11:36   #9
Retired Squid

Quote:
Originally Posted by B.Reid View Post
Mine was very good, fit and finish was excellent. Accuracy was better them my Para 45ACP, 1006 S&W, Colt 1911 45ACP at 7 yards. Bench rested, at 25 yards the difference was even more apparent, the G-20/29 was not directly compared with my Witness. That said I think the Glock would win out, at least with me. The 1911 45ACP Colt was close enough to really be tie unless competition shooting.

The Witness is built very strong, maybe stronger then the S&W 1006, but they come with very light springs. I was to be honest leary of the factory spring for any US commercial ammo, even some of the target ammo. The reason being it was throwing brass 20 feet or more, which is a very good clue of too light a recoil spring.

Last edited by Retired Squid; 05-13-2010 at 05:26.. Reason: Had things backwards
Retired Squid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2010, 21:42   #10
bac1023

I have a Limited model in 38Super.

I like it quite a bit.
bac1023 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2010, 22:40   #11
_The_Shadow
Ret. Fireman

One of the members at 10mmTalk had the frame break within 30 rounds of factory ammo. He had the damnest time dealing with EAA(one individual inparticular) for replacement pistol. He finally did get the replacement the other day, but they offered him some extra stuff for is troubles but they didn't provide them yet. You can read the story here...http://www.ar15armory.com/forums/Wit...nd-t78399.html

Some have had great luck with theirs, I have been skeptical and never purchased one but looked very hard at them.
_The_Shadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2010, 09:48   #12
Gary1911A1

I think you want one of the older ones with the square slide instead of the newer rounded slides that don't have as much metal and seem prone to cracking. Some people have good luck with their customer service, but I didn't. Good luck.
Gary1911A1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2010, 10:00   #13
Retired Squid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary1911A1 View Post
I think you want one of the older ones with the square slide instead of the newer rounded slides that don't have as much metal and seem prone to cracking. Some people have good luck with their customer service, but I didn't. Good luck.
The earlier models were smaller and had the rounded slides that seemed to be more problematic, I think it was only the big calibers 40, 10, and 45ACP that had the problems.

I have a friend that bought a pair of 38 Supers about 10 years ago with consecutive serial numbers that are the old style smaller gun with more rounded slide. Says he's never had a problem with the gun's, but he hasn't shot them much. His are blued models.

The heavy square slide has come and gone on the Witness model, but I don't think they have yet replaced the squared slides on the models. I remember when they came out with the big squared heavy slides and bought a new one, really liked the gun for fit and finish, but ugly as hell with clunky looking square slide, but felt great in the hand. The price was the buying point at $450 out the door. The last Match model was the inbetween model with straight unrounded slide and was really nice looking in two tone.

Last edited by Retired Squid; 05-13-2010 at 10:16.. Reason: Finsh up what grandson interupted.
Old 05-22-2010, 08:20   #14
bush pilot

I've only fired a few hundred rounds of reloads (mild) through my Witness and really like the gun so far. It compares well in terms of accuracy with my 20 and 29. From the horror stories I hear I hope like hell it never needs any warranty work. It's too bad they can't be a little more proactive toward the consumer.

Send me your wheel weights, do it for the children.
bush pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2010, 10:40   #15
agtman
10mm Spartiate

Quote:
Originally Posted by B.Reid View Post
Not winning any Industry Awards for high metallurgy standards or Quality Control

Another Witness slide bit the dust here:

http://www.ar15armory.com/forums/10m...sh-t81791.html

All of 150-rds, according to the poster.

Remember, the Witness pistols, regardless of caliber, are Tanfoglio-built CZ knock-offs. But, for warrantry repair work and any other problem, you'll have to deal with Tanfoglio's U.S. importer, EAA, and the personalities there who run it.

EAA's reputation for taking case of customers with problem Witnesses is, at best, sucky.

Googling for the various complaints about, and bad experiences with, EAA might be worth your while BEFORE investing in a particular Witness.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

Last edited by agtman; 05-22-2010 at 18:59..
agtman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2010, 17:01   #16
B.Reid

Quote:
Originally Posted by agtman View Post
Not winning any Industry Awards for high metallurgy standards or Quality Control

Another Witness slide bit the dust here:

All of 150-rds, according to the poster.

Remember, the Witness pistols, regardless of caliber, are Tanfoglio-built CZ knock-offs. But for warrantry repair work and any other problem, you'll have to deal with Tanfoglio's U.S. importer, EAA, and the personalities there who run it.

EAA's reputation for taking case of customers with problem Witnesses is, at best, sucky.

Googling for the various complaints about, and bad experiences with, EAA might be worth your while BEFORE investing in a particular Witness.

I guess you get what you pay for.

Old 05-22-2010, 17:59   #17
Ebb27

I had one of the older square slide 10mm's.

The 10 Ring

I never heard of any problems with these ones.

In the last few years they've been offering them with a new "streamlined" type slide that's rounded off.

As the pics from the AR15 thread show they took off quite a bit of metal.

The 10 Ring

The 10 Ring

It appears that this change has severly weakened the slides and caused cracking issues.

I had seriously been considering getting another one in the Wonder-Finish because I liked the look of the new contoured slide, until I heard of the cracking issues with them. Now I kinda wish I had kept the old square one.

Oh well I think I'm all done with EEA and the Witness pistols.

Last edited by Ebb27; 05-22-2010 at 18:12..
Ebb27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2010, 19:30   #18
Retired Squid

The top one is the latest model with improved slide like the one I had about two years ago, and the lower one looks like the 8 or 10 year old gun a buddy has two of with sequential serial numbers in 38 Super also blued.

Friend told me and I will have to find out for sure, but that these slides like this cracked one was a in between version that was tried and discontinued due to slide failure about 5 to 6 years ago and where not used across all calibers. He said the only guns he saw these on were 10mm & 38 Super and he only ever saw one in 38 Super and it was a blued gun, all the rest were Wonder finish and 10 mm guns. I have seen a lot of these guns over the last 5 years and never seen one of the milled down models that were cracking slides.

Last edited by Retired Squid; 05-22-2010 at 21:33.. Reason: Correction????
Old 05-22-2010, 19:40   #19
Ebb27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retired Squid View Post
The top one is the latest model with improved slide like the one I had about two years ago, and the lower one looks like the 8 or 10 year old gun a buddy has two of with sequential serial numbers in 38 Super also blued.

No, the top one is a gun I bought used 6 years ago.

The bottom is from a thread that was posted on another forum a few days ago.

Not sure what it was you owned but the older full-size Witness's had square slides and at some point in the last couple of years they've switched to a thinner "contoured" slide which has been having cracking issues.

Perhaps they were using contoured slides 8 or 10 years ago and went to square slides, but whatever the case they're back to using contoured slides on their latest models and are having problems at least with the 10mm's anyway.

Last edited by Ebb27; 05-22-2010 at 19:51..
Ebb27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2010, 21:46   #20
Retired Squid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ebb27 View Post
No, the top one is a gun I bought used 6 years ago.

The bottom is from a thread that was posted on another forum a few days ago.

Not sure what it was you owned but the older full-size Witness's had square slides and at some point in the last couple of years they've switched to a thinner "contoured" slide which has been having cracking issues.

Perhaps they were using contoured slides 8 or 10 years ago and went to square slides, but whatever the case they're back to using contoured slides on their latest models and are having problems at least with the 10mm's anyway.
See my correction edit above, I just went to EAA and they show the big square slide for Witness and Hunter both as they were only two I checked.

http://www.eaacorp.com/images/Witnes...izeCropped.png

I think my friend is correct and they just tried a new design or something and it failed a few years ago. I remember on the old CZ forum (4 -5 yrs ago) before it died or I lost link or whatever that in the clone section they was a lot of talk about a new variation EAA that failed and they were to be avoided and EAA was bawking on warranty on the guns.