GlockTalk.com
Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 05-22-2010, 22:21   #21
Ebb27

Not sure what pics they're using on their website but all the new ones I've been seeing either in person or on the web have the contoured slides and these are the ones that are having all the reports of cracked slides.

I do recall some threads on the CZ forums about Witness .45s with cracked frames a few years back, but the issue with the 10mm's and cracked slides is a fairly recent one I've been seeing over the past year or so.

Last edited by Ebb27; 05-22-2010 at 22:23..
Ebb27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2010, 22:25   #22
Retired Squid

Just now thought I would look at their polymer guns and low and behold they show the cut down slide like show on the cracked slide from AR forum. My bet is EAA has been trying to get rid of some old slides from warranty repairs. I would not put anything past that bunch.

http://www.eaacorp.com/images/Witnes...WitSTD2008.png
Old 05-22-2010, 22:37   #23
Ebb27

Yeah Tanfoglio has a bad habit of constantly changing their slide design, so who knows what EAA might be sellling on any given pistol at this particular moment in time.

Whatever the case I'd advise anyone who's considering a 10mm Witness to make damn sure it doesn't have one of the contoured slides before you buy it.

Last edited by Ebb27; 05-22-2010 at 22:44..
Ebb27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2010, 22:41   #24
Retired Squid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ebb27 View Post
Not sure what pics they're using on their website but all the new ones I've been seeing either in person or on the web have the contoured slides and these are the ones that are having all the reports of cracked slides.

I do recall some threads on the CZ forums about Witness .45s with cracked frames a few years back, but the issue with the 10mm's and cracked slides is a fairly recent one I've been seeing over the past year or so.
The 10mm is the one I remember being talked about. I looked at last week that were ordered for a guy were 45ACP in Wonder Finish, with one a full sized and one compact model. Another store has a new Match in 38 Super he's had since last month that I have held a couple times and was thinking hard about buying, but will probably not because I don't want to buy another caliber dies setup for my Dillon. But it is a beauty, with about a 2-3 pound trigger and no creep or over travel. If it had been 10mm I would have bought it if it was same price.

Another factor was warranty and they screwed me twice on my other two Witness guns, not going to swing again unless the price is so good I can't refuse.

Last edited by Retired Squid; 05-22-2010 at 22:44..
Retired Squid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2010, 22:49   #25
Ebb27

They are nice looking pistols.

Even the plain Jane old square one I owned had a rugged sort of charm to it, and I as I mentioned I was quite attracted to the look of the contoured slides and really wanted one, until I heard of the cracking issues.

I still wouldn't mind getting another 10mm or a .45 with the Wonder-Finish if I came across a great deal on one, but only if it has the square slide.
Old 05-23-2010, 05:48   #26
Gary1911A1

I realize the new Bren Tens will be more money, more than twice the EAA, but I suggest saving your money that you would of spent for the EAA Witness and wait on the Bren Ten which is suppose to be introduced next month. Hopefully the new Brens will be more than twice the pistol.
Gary1911A1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2010, 05:52   #27
Gary1911A1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ebb27 View Post
I had one of the older square slide 10mm's.

The 10 Ring

I never heard of any problems with these ones.

In the last few years they've been offering them with a new "streamlined" type slide that's rounded off.

As the pics from the AR15 thread show they took off quite a bit of metal.

The 10 Ring

The 10 Ring

It appears that this change has severly weakened the slides and caused cracking issues.

I had seriously been considering getting another one in the Wonder-Finish because I liked the look of the new contoured slide, until I heard of the cracking issues with them. Now I kinda wish I had kept the old square one.

Oh well I think I'm all done with EEA and the Witness pistols.
All my Witnesses have the older square type slides and they have not shown any signs of cracking. I do replace the recoil springs with 20lbs, use a recoil buff and don't shoot real hot loads through them. Look around for another older one.
Old 05-23-2010, 21:19   #28
B.Reid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary1911A1 View Post
I realize the new Bren Tens will be more money, more than twice the EAA, but I suggest saving your money that you would of spent for the EAA Witness and wait on the Bren Ten which is suppose to be introduced next month. Hopefully the new Brens will be more than twice the pistol.
Who's making it?

Earth has always been a dangerous place to live. Be prepared!
B.Reid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2010, 21:39   #29
templetonhal

I can only comment on the Witness Elite Match in 10MM owned for a short time. Some had good luck with other Witness models but the Witness Elite Match had their share of problems. On mine the frame peened so badly it required a mallet to remove the slide. The peening as shown as circled.

At the time these guns were supposed to be ISO 9000 certified and out of the box they were tight and had great trigger pulls out the box. Accuracy was pretty good but chasing down expensive hard to find brass made the ownership experience worse and expensive over time.

You roll the dice on this one and hope you come up with a good one.

The 10 Ring
templetonhal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2010, 05:59   #30
Retired Squid

Quote:
Originally Posted by templetonhal View Post
I can only comment on the Witness Elite Match in 10MM owned for a short time. Some had good luck with other Witness models but the Witness Elite Match had their share of problems. On mine the frame peened so badly it required a mallet to remove the slide. The peening as shown as circled.

At the time these guns were supposed to be ISO 9000 certified and out of the box they were tight and had great trigger pulls out the box. Accuracy was pretty good but chasing down expensive hard to find brass made the ownership experience worse and expensive over time.

The 10 Ring
Been telling people for ever and a day that before you shoot your Witness take the recoil & FP springs and toss them in trash, because the spring quality is so poor and too light at best and sometimes no where near factory spec for some reason. Of the two guns I had, one tested to 14 lbs and other 16 lbs (10mm & 45ACP) and replaced with a 18# on 45ACP and 20# on the 10mm springs to start with and went to 22# spring on the 10mm later for shooting hot hand loads. Went from throwing brass 30 feet to about 6' and after almost 500 rounds the gun still appeared new internally. So if you buy one take care of the springs and you should be ok if no magazine problems. Those also need the springs looked at and replaced most likely, also the lips on some of mine needed tweaked and that I hate doing because it's easier to make things worse.
Old 05-24-2010, 08:47   #31
whenmonkeysfly
CLM Number 249
Charter Lifetime Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by B.Reid View Post
Who's making it?
http://vltor.wordpress.com/
Old 05-24-2010, 09:04   #32
Gary1911A1

Quote:
Originally Posted by B.Reid View Post
Who's making it?
Also check out this site: http://www.sportingproducts.com/ They are making it for Vltor. Seven days and counting until June when they are suppose to be available.
Old 05-24-2010, 09:09   #33
Gary1911A1

Quote:
Originally Posted by templetonhal View Post

The 10 Ring
I haven't tried this replacement rod, but Henning does have a good reputation and if the new Bren Tens don't come out I'm going to try this product to see if it protects the frame: http://www.henningshootsguns.com/pag..._guiderod.html