GlockTalk.com
Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 05-04-2010, 12:15   #681
Proxstud

I am a former US ARMY M1A1 Tank Gunner. I have used many different type of weapons and had the privilege of shooting the 120mm Smooth Bore Sabot round as a Gunner.

When I left the Army and became a citizen, I was focused on my future, my schooling and career. Several years had past and I eventually married but never got my CHL as we call it in Texas. (Concealed Handgun License).

When I purchased our new home and was expecting my first child, I realized that I could not protect my family if someone broke into the house. I got a Shotgun and a Rifle and moved on.

3 Years later, I realized that as I take my family out around town that I may not be able to protect them away from the home and decided it was time for me to WAKE UP and get my CHL.

I could not believe it took me that long but life has a funny way of getting in the way. Once I started thinking straight, I realized it was my responsibility to protect my family and my neighbor if I ever had to do so.
Proxstud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2010, 13:14   #682
betes

Send a message via AIM to betes Send a message via Yahoo to betes
There are 3 recent events which have weighed heavily on my mind and definitely influenced me to finally sign up for a CCW class. First is that I had a guy pull a gun out and point it at me in traffic because he thought I cut him off. Second is the shooting death of a robbery victim after he complied with all of the requests of the assailants. Third is when I was sitting on the OB floor at the hospital where I work when a thuggish looking guy ran straight into the nursing station, unzipped a pocket, and pulled out a small bag of drugs that he then shoved into his butt right before being caught up with by security. It was a huge surprise and I remember thinking that he could just as easily have pulled a knife or gun.

Last edited by betes; 05-28-2010 at 09:32..
betes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2010, 23:09   #683
Dream to Dream

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrimitiveBeasty View Post
My defining moment didn't happen to me, so to speak. I managed to run across the video of the death of Deputy Kyle Dinkheller. The video image itself isn't so disturbing or upsetting, I would say - it's the sound. I've never heard anyone scream like that man did as he was killed, and hope I never hear anyone else scream like that again. I resolved to never die in such an unfortunate manner as Kyle Dinkheller, nor let any of those around me suffer the same fate. I think what happened to him was horrible, and wish it hadn't happened (as we might feel about all such crimes), but it is certainly something for us to learn from.
This is the first time I've actually seen the video. It's horrifying, it's profoundly disturbing, and I cried afterward (quietly... the family is asleep), but I'm glad that I watched it. I'm fortunate enough to spend my days with good people, and sometimes I forget why my gun is on me whenever I leave my home.

Thanks for posting this. It was harsh, but I needed a reminder.
Dream to Dream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2010, 00:47   #684
VitruvianDoc

My father is a retired LEO, served 30 years before retiring due to PTSD after a severe incident in which his Glock 17 took 4 lives in order to save his own including a bullet to the slide which saved his.

My father raised me around guns, always teaching me the safety and how to handle them from the earliest age that I can remember. Fast forward to June 2008, my dad retired and gave me his Gen 1 glock 17 service weapon. I was 20 at the time and so kept the weapon at home. Turned 21 a few months later, put off the idea of CCW.

Come Feb 2010, My fiance and I were out of town and got lost in a new town during an interview for medical school, experienced an attempted car jacking at multiple gun point, luckily escaped with life and hide in tact. Took the CCW course and submitted app the next day (literally) and received license in the mail a few weeks ago.

Glock 17 proved bulky to CCW, invested in new 26 for $510 after tax. Got the basic with regular sights and three clips and a free tauga leather holster thrown in. I CCW daily now with Gold dot LE 147 HP ammo.

1st year Medical Student

Last edited by VitruvianDoc; 05-23-2010 at 00:51..
VitruvianDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2010, 12:34   #685
VitruvianDoc

Edit - Starting new post see "Attempted Carjacking"

1st year Medical Student

Last edited by VitruvianDoc; 05-23-2010 at 12:37..
VitruvianDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2010, 12:43   #686
HoldHard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patronus View Post
Glad you're OK.

Could you give us more details of the incident? We could probably learn something from it.

Let's start a new thread to discuss this, please...

Thanks

RussP
"Attempted Carjacking" Link to new thread from VitruvianDoc

HH

Last edited by HoldHard; 05-24-2010 at 12:44..
HoldHard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2010, 22:01   #687
glockfan9
1911Fan9 :)

well i turn 20 in a few months but already on my second gun, i assure you the day i turn 21 i will have my ccw permit. but there were a few defining moments for me even as a youngin lol.
-First, was only about 10 at home and large male tried to get into the house, luckily my grandfather (FDLE) was in town and ran him off and arrested him
-second, about 2 years ago my mom was picking up my little sister from her elementary school bus stop appx 200yds away from my house and a 23yo male decided he didnt want her parked out front of his house and he pulled an old revolver out and pointed it at my mother and 9yo sister. i wasnt there but watching cops fly past my house w/ guns drawn and the thoucht of loosing my mom and sister hit my hard ( even scary to think about now).
-third was me personally, family was out at the movies i came home about 9pm after work, walked in the house and dogs were barking and sprinting around the house very angry ( 3 rottweilers) i walk past a hall and glance over to see a window open and i dont realize it until im half way upstairs.. i sprint up the remaining stairs and lock myself in my room. the dogs continued to bark then they were fine.i sat in my room with a loaded walther p22 ready to fire. very scary moment for a 18yo. i called 911 and they said they would send someone over and i called my mom to come home, mom was home in 3 min and local PD... 3 HOURS! they thought i said there "was someone in my house" and they send a dept over to fill out a report. they didnt take anything and idk if any one actually made it through the house or the dogs scared them away.
- overall, i kno im young but have been raised around firearms and a family and friends in law enforcement. i have been properly trained on how to handle a firearm and i am a very responsible young adult. so with that i say that i will very surely take advantage of the 2nd amendment and my states laws allowing me to carry my ever so wonderfull G19RTF2 thanks for listening everybody
glockfan9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2010, 09:10   #688
FireForged
Millenium #3936

NO defining moment... I began to vote when I was old enough.. I bought beer, when I was old enough and I got a ccw when I was old enough. It was just something I felt like doing and was allowed to do so at a certain age, so I did.
Old 05-28-2010, 09:24   #689
combatmedic78
SempreEnHostes

My two tours in Iraq made me see that I never wanted to be a disarmed civilian with no way to protect myself or my family(future). I hate the feeling for being unready or unprepared for when certain things happen.

BTW, Patronus, I dig your picture of Porter Rockwell. I did a book report on him when I was in the 8th grade.
combatmedic78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2010, 19:29   #690
Wasatch
was "Patronus"

Quote:
Originally Posted by combatmedic78 View Post
My two tours in Iraq made me see that I never wanted to be a disarmed civilian with no way to protect myself or my family(future). I hate the feeling for being unready or unprepared for when certain things happen.

BTW, Patronus, I dig your picture of Porter Rockwell. I did a book report on him when I was in the 8th grade.
Thanks, combatmedic78. I dig Ol' Port as well.

And thanks for your military service. Here's to your fallen brothers and sisters in arms this Memorial Day weekend.
Wasatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2010, 19:56   #691
Jeepnik

Wow, it was so long ago, almost thirty years, I really don't have a "defining" moment. It was more like I could so I did. Funny thing, the potential need for it was, at least in my opinion, really not there back then. And, I'll admit that there have been periods when I just didn't even though I could. Today, I actually, think there is a demonstrable need. So, there's my story, short and boring as it is.
Old 05-28-2010, 20:16   #692
Wasatch
was "Patronus"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeepnik View Post
Wow, it was so long ago, almost thirty years, I really don't have a "defining" moment. It was more like I could so I did. Funny thing, the potential need for it was, at least in my opinion, really not there back then. And, I'll admit that there have been periods when I just didn't even though I could. Today, I actually, think there is a demonstrable need. So, there's my story, short and boring as it is.
Not boring. That's just how it goes for many.

When I was in high school, I knew that CCW was an option (as an adult) but never considered carrying. When Damn Yankees came to Salt Lake City in '92, I listened to Ted Nugent talk at length about the RKBA during a radio interview that morning, and then at the concert, but the concept still didn't sink in.

But when it eventually sank in for me, it sank deep.
Wasatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2010, 20:34   #693
ranger1444

No real defining moment, although there have been times where I would have liked to have it, before I got it.

In the past, there were times where in the line of work I'm in I see past "customers" around, and it would be nice to know that I had another tool in my toolbox.
ranger1444 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2010, 11:45   #694
hackinpeat

The short version:

I was attacked by 3 gangster wanna bes about a year ago who were high on drugs and drunk. It was a case of mistaken I.D. and they were out for my blood. Knives were pulled on me and I subdued them with pepper spray and some martial arts. I ran before they could see again. I suppose I got some minor fame with the street crowd in my town for having the guts to take them on but I have no pride in it. I just did what I needed to do and I'd do it again.

I wouldn't have been likely to even pull a gun if I'd had my permit to carry one back then, so I still carry pepper spray as a primary defense. It is effective, at least in some cases.
hackinpeat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2010, 11:56   #695
FM12
I need AMMO!

Too much of a coward not to, to tell the truth, but mostly for my families protection (pretty wife and 2 really pretty daughters)
Old 06-06-2010, 16:25   #696
Glocknut101
skeptic

Last edited by Glocknut101; 01-17-2011 at 21:24..
Glocknut101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2010, 16:30   #697
Batesmotel

I knew the legislator who co-sponsored the Shall Issue law for Utah and I did some of the statical research for him. I got my application the day the new law went to effect.
Old 06-06-2010, 22:12   #698
blackbmw

I got mine because of people like me. I was an idiot and an ass when i was 17 to 20, I would have ran ya over and wouldnt have cared less. Now, im 31, great job, first newborn son, and ill tell you what, I did some really really REALLY stupid crap when i was at that age, so im deathly afraid of people just like me. look the abercrombie and fitch, act the al capone way. thank god i leveled out and realized that i was about to be shot by some poor sap, and i have taken all my experience of being a tool to good use, as i am a successful man now. thats why i ccw, cause of *******s like me when i was 20yrs old.
blackbmw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2010, 13:15   #699
chromedomepinoyboy

I decided to CCW because I bought my first firearm last year and then realized that I could do so legally and it only seemed right.

But several things got me to the point of finally purchasing one. In 2006, a couple of events really had me pretty concerned about self protection. 1st, a friend's sister was carjacked with her boyfriend and she was subsequently sexually assaulted and murdered along with her boyfriend. A few months later, a girl I worked with was murdered by her ex-boyfriend. So I was in a pretty paranoid state which still wasn't enough to get me to purchase any kind of firearm. The budget was tight and I never really discussed it with my wife.

Fast forward to 2009. A burglar breaks into my neighbor's place while she is home. The burglar assumed that no one was home because they only have one car and the husband was out. Well, I happen to hear the commotion but didn't realize what was happening. I go to check on both front and back doors and don't see anything since luckily she was able to get away and run to a neighbor's place further down. Minutes later, I'm walking my dog and that's when the police show up. One week later I purchased my first firearm, an XD45 (and since, have added a shotgun and a Glock 23). 2 months later I have my CCW.

Doing so much research on firearms introduced me to CCW and it only seemed natural. I never planned on it but now can't imagine no CCW.
chromedomepinoyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2010, 13:28   #700
Loansharkxpin

Send a message via ICQ to Loansharkxpin
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kodiakk View Post
My defining moment to carry a gun was probally when I was born a red blooded American.
Thank you.

Agreed. Mine was when I turned 21 and was eligible to obtain a carry permit in Florida.

Since then, I attribute my ability to carry a firearm to have saved my life twice.

I'll leave it at that. Suffice it to say, things may not have turned out the way they did had I not been armed in those two instances.

I'll also say, I've had my share of backing away and leaving situations that could have escalated.

We should all take the responsibility of carrying a firearm very seriously.

It's not as cavalier as some would portray it. The bravado and talk is all balogna when you have to draw down on someone.
Loansharkxpin is offline   Reply With Quote