Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 05-29-2010, 21:02   #1
marsan

P9 and Gold Dots

Can anyone tell me if a P9 will reliably cycle Speer Gold Dot 124 Gr +P rounds? I fire these in my G19 but have always fired std load 9mm in my Kahr. I would rather just have to buy 1 type of ammo for carry (P9) and HD (G19). I just use 115 Gr FMJ on the range. Seems to me that I read that the 124 Gr +P rounds were not reliable in the P9, yet it seems that many P9 owners fire them with no problem.
Old 05-29-2010, 21:38   #2
detroit9mm

I run them in my CW9 and G19 flawlessly. The 125gr. .357sigs run without a hitch in my P226 as well. Never heard of someone having a problem with these rounds in any gun personally.
detroit9mm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2010, 08:26   #3
CameraMan

They work great in my MK9. Can't imagine a P9 having a problem with them.
CameraMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2010, 14:57   #4
Gary1911A1

My Covert doesn't seem to like them. I've never measured the Gold Dots 124gr. JHPs', but they look like they're on the long side compared to other 9MM ammo. With other 115gr. JHPs' it feeds fine.
Gary1911A1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2010, 16:22   #5
Patchman
Florist

Let's look at someone who uses a lot of Gold Dot 124 gr +P, like the NYPD. Their older officers who have K9s for off-duty can continue to carry them, but after 2005 (?) K9s were no longer authorized off-duty guns. Yes, K9s are NOT P9s, and so maybe this is not compatable. From what I heard (rumors, rumors), the K9s functioned acceptably with the 124 +Ps, but were de-authorized because over the long term, the +P ammo placed just too much stresses on the parts, causing them to wear out prematurely. Basically, the K9's thinner size means smaller/thinner parts.

Again, must emphasize this is what I heard. No personal experience.

In a gunfight, even if you do everything right, you can still get killed.

Last edited by Patchman; 05-30-2010 at 16:26..
Patchman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2010, 02:00   #6
Captnjerry747

I have a P9 that I have carried the last 9 years. Gold Dot is my duty ammo for a H&K .40 and I wanted to have the same in 9mm for the P9. It just wasn't reliable enough. I would get a failure to feed every 30-40 rounds. Kahr sent a new recoil spring and that didn't help much either. I have gone to Winchester Ranger and have not had the problems. YMMV
Old 05-31-2010, 08:52   #7
Nuclear

I've run both 124 and 147 grain Gold Dots in my P9, never had a problem. As a matter of fact, they are the most accurate rounds of any (JHP or FMJ) that I have shot through it.
Old 05-31-2010, 09:22   #8
marsan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patchman View Post
Let's look at someone who uses a lot of Gold Dot 124 gr +P, like the NYPD. Their older officers who have K9s for off-duty can continue to carry them, but after 2005 (?) K9s were no longer authorized off-duty guns. Yes, K9s are NOT P9s, and so maybe this is not compatable. From what I heard (rumors, rumors), the K9s functioned acceptably with the 124 +Ps, but were de-authorized because over the long term, the +P ammo placed just too much stresses on the parts, causing them to wear out prematurely. Basically, the K9's thinner size means smaller/thinner parts.

Again, must emphasize this is what I heard. No personal experience.

This is the reason I submitted this question. I'm from NYC Metro area and meet many NYPD LEOs on the range. The Gold Dot 124 Gr +P functions beautifully on their Duty Glock 19 pistols. There have been many issues with reliability for the same ammo with Kahr pistols causing the Kahr to be extracted from the authorized list. I've only had 1 FTF with my Kahr in over 5000 rounds, but only with std load. I'm just trying to limit the types of ammo I have to buy. If I was limited to 1 pistol, it would be the G19 which IMHO covers all bases, but the Kahr is really effortless to carry in the hot weather.
Old 05-31-2010, 18:34   #9
josp

But it works fine in my CW9. Go figure.

This is why YOU should always try YOUR carry ammo in YOUR gun.
josp is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2010, 20:17   #10
NoComp
The Shootist

They work great in both my PM9 and P9.
Old 06-01-2010, 08:15   #11
Patchman
Florist

Quote:
Originally Posted by marsan View Post
This is the reason I submitted this question. I'm from NYC Metro area and meet many NYPD LEOs on the range. The Gold Dot 124 Gr +P functions beautifully on their Duty Glock 19 pistols. There have been many issues with reliability for the same ammo with Kahr pistols causing the Kahr to be extracted from the authorized list. I've only had 1 FTF with my Kahr in over 5000 rounds, but only with std load. I'm just trying to limit the types of ammo I have to buy.
I do not have any personal knowledge that the 124 gr +P was causing reliability issues (FTF, FTE, stovepiping, etc...) in K9s. What I heard (rumors) was that due to the thinner size of the K9 (thus smaller/slimmer parts), the NYPD de-authorized future purchases of the K9 as off-duties.

Unless you're getting the Gold Dot +P for free, they're pretty expensive to shoot as range ammo. Do like in the old days of .357 Mags. Shoot the standard .38s for practice and carry .357s for real. Same-same for standard 9mm and the Gold Dot +Ps.

In a gunfight, even if you do everything right, you can still get killed.
Patchman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2010, 00:22   #12
GlockNewbie1234

Quote:
Originally Posted by marsan View Post
Can anyone tell me if a P9 will reliably cycle Speer Gold Dot 124 Gr +P rounds? I fire these in my G19 but have always fired std load 9mm in my Kahr. I would rather just have to buy 1 type of ammo for carry (P9) and HD (G19). I just use 115 Gr FMJ on the range. Seems to me that I read that the 124 Gr +P rounds were not reliable in the P9, yet it seems that many P9 owners fire them with no problem.

I've sent several of those Speer GD down the tube of my P9 without a hiccup. Probably you're limpwristing or you've just had a bad egg?

Last edited by GlockNewbie1234; 06-02-2010 at 00:24..
GlockNewbie1234 is offline   Reply With Quote