GlockTalk.com
Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 05-14-2010, 15:24   #1
BRabbit

Anyone familiar with the New CQC-7 vs the old (1990s) Benchmade model?

I have a mid-90s CQC-7 collaboration between Mr. Emerson and Benchmade (It's a good knife, no problems, and I'm very impressed with it.), however I was thinking of picking up a newer model after so many years.

I like the knife quite a bit and the specs (IIRC from the mid-90s when I bought it) are ATS-34 or 154CM steel, tanto style non-combo blade, chisel ground on one side, 50,000lbs tensile tested blade strength, zytel (or G-10?) handles/grips, hex-screws with allen wrench needed on blade and clip to adjust either one, and a titanium liner lock).

As I said, I am thinking of purchasing a newer Emerson version of the knife (EMERSON CQC-7 TANTO 3.3" B-T COMBO) and know that some changes have been done to the knife and that Mr. Emerson produces it himself with "a wave" feature now versus the model I have which was a collaboration with Benchmade in the 1990s.

I was wondering if anyone has had experience with the old model versus the newer one and more specifically:
(1) What specific changes have been made to the new knife from the one I now own in addition to "the wave" feature?
(2) What were the reasons for these changes, i.e.: What improvements were gained by the changes or were they primarily proprietary changes to possibly remove it as a Benchmade product and establish it as Mr. Emerson's unique design so it could be sold by his company?...and/or is the knife essentially the same as the mid-1990s model which also goes by the CQC-7 name, and one that I like so well?

Thanks - and any info you have will be appreciated.

BTW: I have already submitted this question in the "GATE Knives and Knife Fighting" forum and am waiting to see if Mr. Emerson approves it and has any input for me, but I also wanted to ask here to see if any "end-users" have experience with both versions.

Last edited by BRabbit; 08-16-2010 at 15:59..
BRabbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2010, 14:48   #2
DBZ220

The CQC-7 is basically a production version of his handmade only CQC-6. Demand for the 6 was high, so Ernie did the collab with Benchmade to provide a production and cost effective piece, hence the CQC-7 in the BM970 and BM975SBT configurations. This was back in the days before Ernie had his own production knife company. He parted ways with Benchmade and started his own production company to offer his own lineup of knives.
Materials are very similar, 154CM steel, Ti liners, G-10 scales. The Wave is a big difference, as is the tip-up carry on EKI knives compared to the older Benchmade being tip-down only.
I have several of each one, and the newest production EKI CQC7 has a little thicker liner lock than the previous generations, and the BM97xxx series. Other minor differences are the screws, going from torx on the BM to philips and straight on the EKI model. I you love the Benchmade one, you'll likely be very happy with the EKI model too. Only downside, some EKI models tend to have a bit rougher opening action than the BM's did. This goes away after a couple weeks of opening/closing though. Not a big deal in my opinion.
DBZ220 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2010, 15:01   #3
BRabbit

Thanks DBZ220 - That's the kind of info I was looking for...so in a nutshell, it's basically the same knife with improvements.

I'll definitely think hard about picking one up. I am currently working on getting a 2nd original BM AFCK so I can give one to each of my sons one day, providing I don't lose or break one, and I have a EMERSON CQC-7 TANTO 3.3" B-T COMBO on an email notification list with a distibutor where I found it for a very good price when they get back in stock.

ETA: Can you help better explain "the wave" feature to me? If I understand correctly, it helps deploy the blade when the knife is drawn from the pocket? I've never used it and ask - is this truly helpful?

Last edited by BRabbit; 05-16-2010 at 17:46..
Old 05-17-2010, 08:45   #4
irontexan27

the wave feature catches your pocket when you draw it out causing the blade to open when you pull it out of your pocket. Its kind of addictive. Its kind of hard to explain but for an example you can check you tube and find some demos.

As far as the current cqc-7 vs the benchmade 970s, dbz220 pretty much summed it up. The big things that put the Emerson ahead in my book are the thicker liner lock bar, the wave, and the Emerson warranty.

definatly worth looking into, but then again if you already have a good working 970, I would take a good look at the rest of the Emerson lineup. The in hand Ergonomics have come along way IMO.
irontexan27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2010, 11:20   #5
BRabbit

Thanks - I'll look on youtube for some demos...the reason for another similar style knife is - 2 boys & a desire to be roughly equal in what I give them. For instance - I picked up a 2nd AFCK on ebay last night, to leave one to each of them.
Old 05-17-2010, 17:40   #6
irontexan27

That makes sense, and congrats on picking up a 2nd AFCK, they are great knives.
irontexan27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2010, 19:50   #7
BRabbit

Thanks - I notice Benchmade is making them again in a limited run I believe, at a higher than original price, so I don't mind buying a slightly used one to accompany the one I already have.
Old 05-18-2010, 11:48   #8
DBZ220

Check out the 806-901 limited AFCK run. M4 blade steel is good stuff! They made 250 plain edge and 250 part serrated ones. Can be pricey NIB, but a used one shouldn't be too bad. They have the original round hole instead of the interim oval style version.
Back to the 970 series, if you like a little larger one, check out the old BM975 model, it's one of my favorites, and to me, has a better feel than the EKI Super CQC-7.
Old 05-22-2010, 16:15   #9
sns3guppy

Mr. Emerson has recently addressed this very question in the GATE forums on this site...the differences between the Benchmade CQC-7 and the current edition.
sns3guppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2010, 19:41   #10
BRabbit

Quote:
Originally Posted by sns3guppy View Post
Mr. Emerson has recently addressed this very question in the GATE forums on this site...the differences between the Benchmade CQC-7 and the current edition.

I saw his answer to my question the other day. It sounded like nice improvements to an already good knife. - Thanks.

Last edited by BRabbit; 05-23-2010 at 19:42..
Old 05-28-2010, 15:56   #11
Snowman92D

At the risk of sounding ignorant about the knife culture, do the older Benchmade versions of the Emerson CQC have any collector value, or is it just as well to use them as a dedicated defender blade for EDC?
Snowman92D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2010, 16:06   #12
DBZ220

They tend to run $150ish for the 970SBT a little more for the 975SBT. Plain edge versions go a little higher at times. The auto version is usually $250ish these days. I say use them, they likely won't top out any higher.
Old 05-28-2010, 16:51   #13
BRabbit

I used mine for years until I found a different knife that I preferred. It is a tool to me, and I use it as such.
Old 06-03-2010, 19:07   #14
PostalGlock'n

Quote:
Originally Posted by DBZ220 View Post
Materials are very similar, 154CM steel, Ti liners, G-10 scales.
EKI uses 154CM, the Benchmade models used ATS-34. EKI has dual detents that makes for a firmer opening action (won't fling open by inersha).
PostalGlock'n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2010, 08:01   #15
BRabbit

Quote:
Originally Posted by PostalGlock'n View Post
EKI uses 154CM, the Benchmade models used ATS-34. EKI has dual detents that makes for a firmer opening action (won't fling open by inersha).
Thanks for the info. I am going to get an Emerson model eventually, but I just used my .mil/LE discount and ordered a 710SBKD2 with the Axis lock from Benchmade, so I'll wait a little bit.

From Benchmade.com: http://www.benchmade.com/products/710

710SBKD2
AXIS® locking mechanism
Modified clip-point blade with ambidextrous dual thumb-stud opener
D2 tool steel blade (60-62HRC)
Black G10 handle scales with 410 stainless steel liners and a reversible steel carry-clip

Blade Length: 3.90"
Blade Thickness: 0.115"
Handle Thickness: 0.480"
Blade Material: D2 Tool Steel
Blade Hardness: 60-62HRC
Blade Style: Modified Clip-Point; Ambidextrous Dual Thumb Studs
Weight: 4.50oz
Old 06-04-2010, 08:02   #16
BRabbit

dbl tap

Last edited by BRabbit; 06-04-2010 at 08:03..
Old 06-04-2010, 16:34   #17
PostalGlock'n

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRabbit View Post
I just used my .mil/LE discount and ordered a 710SBKD2 with the Axis lock from Benchmade, so I'll wait a little bit.
You wont be disappointed with the 710, it is one of my all time favorite Benchmades. I have 2 in ATS-34, 1 - 154CM (Kreined), and 1 D2.

Just my opinion, but if your looking at the Emerson line please look into the CQC-10. The handle is out of this world in your hand and the blade is a much more usable design.
PostalGlock'n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2010, 08:42   #18
BRabbit

I'll do that before I buy - thanks.

-----------------------------------

ETA: I just picked up the straight edge version (the 710D2 McHenry & Williams Axis Lock) on ebay for a cheaper price for the knife and shipping than what was offered by BM with the .mil/LEO discount, so I would have a second one. This one I'll probably use during deer season as a woods knife and to skin deer instead of my Buck 110.

Last edited by BRabbit; 06-05-2010 at 10:15..
Old 06-05-2010, 13:33   #19
DBZ220

Sorry for the oversight. 154CM and ATS34 are nearly identical in performance, 154CM being basically the U.S. made version of ATS34 which is produced by Hitachi in Japan. Should have mentioned that. I've noted no noticeable difference in use.
As for the double detents, I have EKI pieces with single detents, and some with double. My early CQC7's don't while my 09/10 vintage does. Same with my other EKI's, etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PostalGlock'n View Post
Old 06-12-2010, 11:19   #20
markglockman

I love mine with stonewashed plain edge shown here with my 17.
The Cutting Edge

Last edited by markglockman; 06-15-2010 at 21:34..
markglockman is offline   Reply With Quote