Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 11-05-2008, 08:50   #1
EL COLONEL

6.8 spc

.............anybody got one, How do you like it? Is it expensive to shoot if you don't reload ? Is it better to just get a 308 ? ( both in ar platform for self defense ). Thanx all
Old 11-05-2008, 12:22   #2
remat

I have an RRA. It is a FUN rifle to shoot, I highly recommend you try one. I always felt that the AR should have a little more kick and blast

Ammo is about $1/shot. Now, that does get you premium Hornady VMAX 110gr suitable for defense and hunting, but price-wise it is like shooting 223 TAP. I am still building up a brass supply but will be loading shortly. Not bad if you compare it to hunting ammo (since the VMAX is premium ammo), but poor when compared to surplus rounds...

I thought about going 308, but going with 6.8 allowed me to have a deer class round and remain completely interchangeable with my other AR lowers and all of the accessories and gear I already have. I also retain the exact same size and weight I am used to. Rifle was also about half the price (I big plus for me).

It is also my understanding that the 308 AR uppers are not even interchangeable outside of brand. I thought for deer a 243 upper would be slick. But, I am not sold on one particular brand's AR10 platform yet...
remat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2008, 16:05   #3
EL COLONEL

Re_matt

.....Thank you for your response. Any one else that has one that perhaps wiches he would have gone with a 308??
Old 11-05-2008, 16:26   #4
Iowa Hick
Senior Redneck

Quote:
Originally Posted by EL COLONEL View Post
.....Thank you for your response. Any one else that has one that perhaps wiches he would have gone with a 308??
I'll go you one better, I've got both. I bought the .308 for deer when I first got into Black Rifles, then when I was building my second AR, I started hearing about 6.8 and decided to go with it. Now that I have them both, I prefer shooting the 6.8. I killed a decent doe with it last year (in Iowa the southern counties are allowed to use rifles for antlerless only). The 6.8 has enough knockdown for deer, is lighter to pack, and has much more manageable recoil. I highly advise it, with the only drawback being the afore mentioned ammo prices. You should definitely consider reloading, I can reload 6.8 for $0.37 per round.
Iowa Hick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2008, 18:03   #5
2006HighSierra

I'm a very proud 6.8 owner. If this target don't speak for its potential I don't know what will. that target is a 5-shot 100 yard group with 110gr Hornady V-Max. Weapon is a DPMS lower, Armalite 2 stage tactical trigger, and Ko-Tonics(now Cardinal Armory) custom built package. So far I've shot the 110gr Sierra Prohunter loads from SSA which is my primary loads, the V-max, and Hornadys BTHP all 110gr and it will play connect the dots at 100 yards with any of the loads. Hopefully it'll have a date with a nice 8pnt this season.
Attached Thumbnails
Black Rifle Forum - Click for larger version   Black Rifle Forum - Click for larger version  
2006HighSierra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2010, 14:00   #6
Beware Owner
NOT a victim.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iowa Hick View Post
I'll go you one better, I've got both. I bought the .308 for deer when I first got into Black Rifles, then when I was building my second AR, I started hearing about 6.8 and decided to go with it. Now that I have them both, I prefer shooting the 6.8. I killed a decent doe with it last year (in Iowa the southern counties are allowed to use rifles for antlerless only). The 6.8 has enough knockdown for deer, is lighter to pack, and has much more manageable recoil. I highly advise it, with the only drawback being the afore mentioned ammo prices. You should definitely consider reloading, I can reload 6.8 for $0.37 per round.
What's your recipe for the load?
Homegrown Terrorism
Beware Owner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2010, 17:10   #7
ILikeFtLbs

Magazines are expensive too. Barret 30 rd mags will cost about $40, PRI mags a little less, and C product mags are about $20. The C product mags work very well for me. The PRI mags are a tight fit (I hear they are longer for handloaders) and they don't reliably lock the bolt on the last round for me in a Rock River. The Barrets are great and they are very strong steel, but they are expensive.

Ammo is about $20 per box of 20 while 5.56/.223 is $7 or $8 for 20. .308/7.62 is about $15-20 per 20 for fmj ammo.
ILikeFtLbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2010, 19:02   #8
remat

Quote:
Originally Posted by remat View Post
I have an RRA. It is a FUN rifle to shoot, I highly recommend you try one. I always felt that the AR should have a little more kick and blast
Well, this is a blast from the past! Since this thread I have been extremely impressed with the 6.8 round and have no regrets about getting it. Since then I have sold my RRA and built another rifle to replace it.

Silver State Armory (SSA) loads the best ammo for it.
remat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2010, 22:07   #9
Constructor
GT Sponsor

check out www.68forums.com for the latest on the 6.8

This is a little comparison between cartridges since some assume the 5.56 77gr SMK has a great BC and leaves the 6.8 in the dust.
Drops at 1000yds using a 300 zero. the 5.56 load is a typical match load from 6mmBR and one I have used for several years, it hits 2600 from a 26" barrel.
These are all handloads and what I believe anyone shooting a HP match might shoot, I don't think anyone competing would use factory loads.

5.56 -77gr SMk -BC .356-at 2600fps Z'd at 300 drops 507" and drifts 158" in a 10mph 9 O'clock cross末末末末26" barrel
6.8-110 Nosler-BC.370- at 2900fps Z'd at 300 drops 372" and drifts 129" " " 末末will hit 2800 from a 16", 2900 from a 20" barrel, maybe 3000 from a 26"- note this is a hunting bullet all others are match bullets
6.5 G-123 Lapua- BC.547- at 2620fps Z'd at 300 drops 327" and drifts 88" " " 末末末Bills max suggested load from pdf grendel forum -24" barrel. maybe 2670 from a 26" barrel
6BRX-107 SMK-BC.518- at 3050fps Z'd at 300 drops 239" and drifts 76" " " 末末末-22" barrel, maybe 3150 from a 26"
Old 05-29-2010, 15:29   #10
GPalmer
CLM Number 49
Charter Lifetime Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by EL COLONEL View Post
Nope, I have several of them. It's a great caliber, which does exactly what it's advertised to do. It's more expensive to shoot than the 5.56. You can offset that by having matching uppers in 5.56 and 6.8 SPC and/or reloading. Terminal ballistics are in another league than the 5.56. Recoil is not really noticeably worse than the 5.56 and much lighter than the .308 or 30-06 I have. On a pure visceral level, I enjoy shooting the 6.8 much more than the 5.56.
GPalmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2010, 08:24   #11
Beware Owner
NOT a victim.

I think the 6.8 is a reloaders dream.
Homegrown Terrorism
Old 06-01-2010, 21:31   #12
majette

so far mine has just been on the range playing music, hope to hunt with it this year:

Black Rifle Forum
majette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2010, 08:20   #13
Beware Owner
NOT a victim.

Quote:
Originally Posted by majette View Post
so far mine has just been on the range playing music, hope to hunt with it this year:

Black Rifle Forum
What's your experience with it?
Homegrown Terrorism
Old 06-02-2010, 19:12   #14
ElevatedThreat
NRA Member

My Stag Model 7 has proven to be an excellent game-getter of whitetails (Silver State 115 Grain Accu-Bonds), and it is utter devastation on the feral dog packs that would otherwise mass-murder the deer on my deer lands when the snow gets deep. (The dogs were unimpressed by 5.56mm NATO, when stands of dried grass, twigs, snow, or evergreen boughs were in the way. But the 6.8mm SPC punches right through such light cover.)

Barrett mags are the best mags I've seen in any caliber, and are worth every penny. I also love my discontinued PRI 20-round pre-waffle mags. C-Products mags are OK, but nothing to get excited over, especially in terms of look and feel.

I'd only go .308 in an EBR if I were vehicle-borne and shooting my FAL....

-ET
Old 06-02-2010, 19:22   #15
majette

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beware Owner View Post
What's your experience with it?
accurate on the range. more powerful than 5.56, have not had a chance to hunt with it yet. 68forums.com has a lot of info.
majette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2010, 21:45   #16
UneasyRider
C.D.B.

My Bushmaster 6.8 has a nice bark that my 5.56 does not. When somebody hears it fire for the first time they are surprised by the bark that it makes. Over all I like it much better in every except one, you can get cheap 5.56 anywhere by the case and 6.8 is rarer to find in quantity and at twice the price.

"Both oligarch and tyrant mistrust the people, and therefore deprive them of arms." - Aristotle,
UneasyRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2010, 07:39   #17
Beware Owner
NOT a victim.

Somehow I see the 6.8 SPC as the .357 Sig was, mostly unknown, however a great all around cartridge.
Homegrown Terrorism
Old 06-06-2010, 21:42   #18
GPalmer
CLM Number 49
Charter Lifetime Member

Here's the latest one. 7.5" Noveske barrel. Interestingly enough, with the 95 gr TTSX and hand loads this should expand them out to 250-300 yards....

Black Rifle Forum
GPalmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2010, 21:47   #19
GeorgiaGlockMan
Aggie in Exile.

I have a few ar10s and have absolutely no desire to get a 6.8
Old 06-07-2010, 07:43   #20
Beware Owner
NOT a victim.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GPalmer View Post
Here's the latest one. 7.5" Noveske barrel. Interestingly enough, with the 95 gr TTSX and hand loads this should expand them out to 250-300 yards....

Black Rifle Forum
That's insane. I love it.
Homegrown Terrorism
Old 06-09-2010, 21:12   #21
dc2integra

wow that s nice ^^^
dc2integra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2010, 07:33   #22
Beware Owner
NOT a victim.

Quote:
Originally Posted by majette View Post
accurate on the range. more powerful than 5.56, have not had a chance to hunt with it yet. 68forums.com has a lot of info.
Did you perceive the recoil to be more?
Homegrown Terrorism
Old 06-10-2010, 12:56   #23
UneasyRider
C.D.B.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beware Owner View Post
Did you perceive the recoil to be more?
You are not asking me but I don't notice any recoil on either... but I am 6'3" and weigh 250.

"Both oligarch and tyrant mistrust the people, and therefore deprive them of arms." - Aristotle,
UneasyRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2010, 13:10   #24
Beware Owner
NOT a victim.

Quote:
Originally Posted by UneasyRider View Post
You are not asking me but I don't notice any recoil on either... but I am 6'3" and weigh 250.
That's great! The 5.56 has no recoil, if you ask me.
Homegrown Terrorism
Old 06-10-2010, 17:57   #25
ElevatedThreat
NRA Member

The 6.8mm SPC has no noticeable recoil in a semi-auto rifle as heavy as an AR.

I did find that installing a beefier aftermarket square-wire chrome-silicon recoil spring took some of the annoying characteristic AR-15 "sprooooing!" out of firing my Stag, however.

-ET