Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 06-16-2010, 09:49   #1
aztnb

no firearms allowed

Ruths Chris in Scottsdale is posted no firearms allowed.
aztnb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2010, 10:22   #2
Thunderbolt56

If the laws there work similarly to the ones here in Florida, their "rules" do NOT supercede the law. Accordingly, if you are carrying in accordance with the state laws (even in a posted "gun-free" zone), you can't be held criminally liable.

They can, however, ask you to leave immediately and, if they do, it would be in your best interest to do so without delay, sarcasm or confrontation. Under such circumstances it would also be prudent to carry concealed...even if your state allows open carry.

My local range
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

Thunderbolt56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2010, 20:36   #3
El_Ron1
AAAAAAAAGHHH!!!

Quote:
If the laws there work similarly to the ones here in Florida, their "rules" do NOT supercede the law. Accordingly, if you are carrying in accordance with the state laws (even in a posted "gun-free" zone), you can't be held criminally liable.
They are exercising their choice as specified by the law.

http://www.azliquor.gov/assets/docum...rearms_faq.pdf

http://www.azliquor.gov/assets/docum...rearms_eng.pdf
Old 06-16-2010, 21:05   #4
Havasu

Under Arizona law, the sign carries legal weight. You can be prosecuted if you enter a posted business.
Old 06-17-2010, 00:53   #5
rixtrix1

I carry personal items, wallet, phone, keys, knife, etc., in a fanny pack( no gun) due to a partially disabled left hand. I've been told upon entering Ruth Chris, Costco, among others: "No firearms allowed." But, I have never been asked to open the pack. Easiest thing is to just not go to those places if you choose to carry.
rixtrix1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2010, 01:18   #6
mitchshrader
Deceased

Easiest thing is never go there again.
Old 06-18-2010, 11:09   #7
Sam Spade
Lifetime Membership

Quote:
Originally Posted by Havasu View Post
Under Arizona law, the sign carries legal weight. You can be prosecuted if you enter a posted business.
This.
"To spit on your hands and lower the pike; to stand fast over the body of Leonidas the King; to be rear guard at Kunu-Ri; to stand and be still to the Birkenhead Drill; these are not rational acts. They are often merely necessary." Pournelle
Sam Spade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2010, 11:14   #8
Ryobi
SummertimeRules

Carrying where prohibited, to include carrying where posted, is a loser move. Pretending not to understand the proprietor's wishes is something to be expected of a kid, not an adult with a permit.
Ryobi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2010, 12:43   #9
DrMark
Dr Dew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Havasu View Post
...unless you are not an Arizona resident, as I understand it.

Please someone correct me if I am mistaken.
Old 06-18-2010, 13:21   #10
Havasu

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrMark View Post

I am not a lawyer. That being said, my understanding is that the sign makes the business premises off limits to firearms. The only exceptions would be to the business owner and other employees.
Old 06-19-2010, 06:44   #11
hikerpaddler

Send a message via AIM to hikerpaddler
Carrying where posted or looking for loopholes to support an excuse for doing something you shouldn't is a poor primary pln.
Old 06-19-2010, 07:56   #12
Sam Spade
Lifetime Membership

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrMark View Post

You're mistaken. AZ law applies when you're in AZ, just as VA law applies to me should I visit there. Serious question: How could you think that you have criminal immunity just because you're passing through?

There are two sections of laws in play. One set applies to businesses that have a liquor license. 4-244.29 states that it's illegal to carry into a licensed establishment, unless you have a CCW. 4-229 allows the establishment to opt out of that and prohibit essentially all weapons with signage.

13-1502 is the trespass law, and applies to any person who enters property after reasonable notice prohibiting entry. Yes, this applies to conditional things, too. If the sign says "Employees Only" and you go there, it's trespass. If the sign says "No guns" and you take one there, it's trespass.

At the root of things is respect for property rights. I've read plenty of posts where people say, "Well, those signs carry no legal weight in my state" or "The sign has to conform to this wording or that dimension". That strikes me as childish and disrespectful; the guy who runs the place doesn't want you in it, or doesn't want you in it while armed. Don't go. Don't be looking for a weasle escape, just don't go.

Back to the post. If you come to AZ, we'll treat you like an adult and expect you to act like one. Play nice with others and respect their property.
"To spit on your hands and lower the pike; to stand fast over the body of Leonidas the King; to be rear guard at Kunu-Ri; to stand and be still to the Birkenhead Drill; these are not rational acts. They are often merely necessary." Pournelle
Old 06-19-2010, 13:42   #13
El_Ron1
AAAAAAAAGHHH!!!

Quit making sense, Sam.
Old 06-30-2010, 09:53   #14
Doc Holliday
CLM Number 24
Charter Lifetime Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Spade View Post
You're mistaken. AZ law applies when you're in AZ, just as VA law applies to me should I visit there. Serious question: How could you think that you have criminal immunity just because you're passing through?
Because that's what the law says...

4-229. Licenses; handguns; posting of notice

A. A person with a permit issued pursuant to section 13-3112 or who meets the criteria specified in section 13-3102, subsection D, paragraph 1 or 2 may carry a concealed handgun on the premises of a licensee who is an on-sale retailer unless the licensee posts a sign that clearly prohibits the possession of weapons on the licensed premises. The sign shall conform to the following requirements:

1. Be posted in a conspicuous location accessible to the general public and immediately adjacent to the liquor license posted on the licensed premises.

2. Contain a pictogram that shows a firearm within a red circle and a diagonal red line across the firearm.

3. Contain the words, "no firearms allowed pursuant to A.R.S. section 4-229".

B. A person shall not carry a firearm on the licensed premises of an on-sale retailer if the licensee has posted the notice prescribed in subsection A of this section.

C. It is an affirmative defense to a violation of subsection B of this section if:

1. The person was not informed of the notice prescribed in subsection A of this section prior to the violation.

2. Any one or more of the following applies:

(a) At the time of the violation the notice prescribed in subsection A of this section had fallen down.

(b) At the time of the violation the person was not a resident of this state.

(c) The licensee had posted the notice prescribed in subsection A of this section not more than thirty days prior to the violation.

D. The department of liquor licenses and control shall prepare the signs required by this section and make them available at no cost to licensees.

E. The signs required by this section shall be composed of block, capital letters printed in black on white laminated paper at a minimum weight of one hundred ten pound index. The lettering and pictogram shall consume a space at least six inches by nine inches. The letters comprising the words "no firearms allowed" shall be at least three-fourths of a vertical inch and all other letters shall be at least one-half of a vertical inch.

F. This section does not prohibit a person who possesses a handgun from entering the licensed premises for a limited time for the specific purpose of either:

1. Seeking emergency aid.

2. Determining whether a sign has been posted pursuant to subsection A of this section.

"As for me and my house, we will continue to use the 2nd Gen Glocks"

This invisible text is also brought to you by SKYY Vodka.

Last edited by Doc Holliday; 06-30-2010 at 09:54..
Doc Holliday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2010, 10:03   #15
Doc Holliday
CLM Number 24
Charter Lifetime Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by aztnb View Post
Overpriced, uppity steakhouse anyhow...

"As for me and my house, we will continue to use the 2nd Gen Glocks"

This invisible text is also brought to you by SKYY Vodka.
Doc Holliday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2010, 17:37   #16
DrMark
Dr Dew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc Holliday View Post
Ah, yes, that's the part that I was told about.

Thanks for finding that, Doc H.
Old 06-30-2010, 17:40   #17
DrMark
Dr Dew

Quote:
Originally Posted by aztnb View Post
BTW, aztnb, if you're like me and prefer to spend your money where you're welcomed, a site to find pro-gun restaurants is here: www.gunburger.com
Old 06-30-2010, 17:47   #18
Sam Spade
Lifetime Membership

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc Holliday View Post

C. It is an affirmative defense to a violation of subsection B of this section if:[/B]

(b) At the time of the violation the person was not a resident of this state.
Affirmative defensives are issues raised at trial for the consideration of the judge. They do not provide immunity from arrest.

If there was confusion in talking about two different aspects of the legal system, I apologize for contributing to it.