Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 03-04-2010, 21:21   #1
olympicmotors

ruger hawkeye

I have a question about my new Ruger Hawkeye 300 winchester magnum. I bought this gun new about 6 months ago after selling my 7mm magnum. the first time out I was able to get about 3 inch groups at 100 yards from a bench rest. I waited about 2 minutes between shots and the shots seemed to be stringing vertically more than horizontally. I took it back to my shop and cleaned it thoroughly, re tightened all the screws and free floated the barrel. The next time out I was able to get just over 2 inch groups . Both time I was using cheap wal-mart ammo first Remington core locked, then winchester silvertips. My son-in-law bought me some Winchester supreme ammo for Christmas, but I have not been able to try it out yet. How much difference does quality ammo make? Have you heard any bad things about the new Ruger Hawkeyes in terms of accuracy? I do not expect a tack driver but I would sure like to get about a 1.5 inch group out of it. Any other suggestions?
olympicmotors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2010, 11:15   #2
Zak Smith
3Gunner

Ammunition can make a huge difference. Most factory rifles - especially hunting rifles - will be finicky in which ammunition they "like", while most match guns will shoot most match-grade ammunition with good accuracy. Unless you want to embark on a long and possibly expensive task of getting the maximum accuracy from a factory hunting rifle, your best bet is to try several types of ammunition (or several reloads) and simply settle on the one that shoots to a sufficient level of accuracy for your needs.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
Zak Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2010, 16:37   #3
olympicmotors

After a few more sessions , my hawkeye seems to be shooting loose after a few rounds. My bedding screws are noticeably looser than they were after I re tightened them from the previous cleaning and check. What do I need to do? A little locktight? I am afraid this may lead to me not being able to get it apart again. where can I buy a true gunsmith screwdriver that fits the single slot screw tightly? The one I have been using fits pretty well but could be better. Can you buy something like an allen head, or even better a torx head screw so you can really tighten it up well without fear of messing up the screw?

I think with a little more experimentation with ammo and solving this screw problem may get the rifle shooting acceptably to me.
olympicmotors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2010, 22:07   #4
Zak Smith
3Gunner

Buy a set of gunsmithing screwdrivers from Brownells. They sell sets with one driver and a whole bunch of bits. Use the right one for the job.

Try the medium strength loctite. Do not use the high-strength/permanent loctite!

Zak Smith is offline   Reply With Quote