Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 07-26-2010, 17:35   #1
cyclops24

New to reloading the 10

Hello all, I am new to GT but not new to shooting or reloading. I recently picked up a 20SF and I added a wolf guide rod and 22# spring (KKM aftermarket barrel might be down the road). I quickly realized I would need to handload and reload considering the mild Remington UMC 180grainers were around $30/box. My current load is Nickel Starline brass, WLP, 180gr Nosler JHP with 9.0grs of Power Pistol. This was a good load and I worked up to it from 8.0gr inspecting each fired case for signs of over pressure. I do realize that this is over the published max of 8.7gr but I don't see really any signs of pressure with the stock barrel. The fired cases have a very slight bulge to them which is barely noticeable. My main questions are, how many reloads can I get out of this brass safely with the stock barrel and in your opinions is this a safe loading?

I am sorry I waited so long to get a 10mm. This is such a versatile and fun cartridge.
cyclops24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2010, 20:50   #2
_The_Shadow
Ret. Fireman

Cyclops24, Welcome to Glock Talk!

Looks good so far. You could see 10+ loads from those brass although you will possible loose them before they are unreloadable.

I don't know if you know about the 10mmTalk forum located over at: http://www.ar15armory.com/forums/forums.html
Scroll down and look for the the 10mmTalk area, very good info and all things 10mm.

Best regards!
_The_Shadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2010, 17:47   #3
cyclops24

Thanks for the welcome!

Yes sir, I am aware and a member. Guess I could post this over there as well. Prior to making this post and ordering anything to make this load, I lurked on here as well as over there reading many posts by yourself as well as others. These are great sources of information. I get a kick out of the term "nuclear load". I thought 9.0gr of PP felt stout enough but I am sure there is more room there but not for the stock barrel.
cyclops24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2010, 11:50   #4
headblade
TriggerHappy

Send a message via Yahoo to headblade
My biggest problem with 10mm brass wear so far is the burring from the ejection process. I use Glock 20 and 29 and they seem to burr up the brass a good bit and around the 4th and 5th firing become impossible to slide into my Lee Hand priming tool. So, for me 5 times of reloading is max. I could and have continued loading the brass past 5 times but I have to use my Lee Press with the priming attachment. The shell holders on that give more room to slide things into them. But, I don't try to make a great habit of that because the brass is so beat up at this point I just know it can't be all that reliable. I use Starline brass. I don't know if there is anything I could do to soften the ejection process so I could double the lifespan of the brass. Heck, maybe I will just embrace it and load hot. Knowing they have a short lifespan anyway.
headblade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2010, 12:51   #5
RB98SS

Quote:
Originally Posted by headblade View Post
My biggest problem with 10mm brass wear so far is the burring from the ejection process. I use Glock 20 and 29 and they seem to burr up the brass a good bit and around the 4th and 5th firing become impossible to slide into my Lee Hand priming tool.
I just posted this very problem and didn't get many replies other than a couple acknowledgments that yep, the 20 does that. So, I took my Dremel with the small buffing wheel and smoothed out the extractor and it seems to have helped with the burr issue. FYI
RB98SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2010, 07:20   #6
FLSlim

From my experience, nickle-plated brass is more brittle and tends to crack after far fewer reloads than regular brass. If you have the same experience, next time you buy a batch get regular brass (it is cheaper, too).
Florida Glockers Club #1040
Big Dogs Club #1592
FLSlim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2010, 08:42   #7
MSgt Dotson

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyclops24 View Post
I do realize that this is over the published max of 8.7gr but I don't see really any signs of pressure with the stock barrel. The fired cases have a very slight bulge to them which is barely noticeable. .
I'd recommend a reduction, or, better barrel...
MSgt Dotson is offline   Reply With Quote