SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 07-26-2010, 20:01   #1
RussP

Open Carry Stories and Experiences, Vol. II

Lets try this again.

Just post about your open carry experiences, any problems you had, and positive encounters with others.

If you want, describe your carry rig, how you dressed, time of day, frequency of carry in that location...any details that will help others decide whether open carry is for them.

Remember, Open Carry is NOT for everyone.

Laws restrict open carrying in certain jurisdictions.

If you disagree with open carry, that's fine, but this thread is NOT for arguing pro/con open carry. Any posts in that vein will be deleted and the author will receive an infraction for trolling.

If you want to debate Open Carry, express your negative views, please, we encourage you to start a new thread.

Also, if you want to discuss a post, to ask questions, quote the post and start a new thread in the main Carry Issues Forum.

Last, no bashing law enforcement.

RussP

"Comment is free, but facts are sacred." C.P. Scott, 1921

Last edited by RussP; 07-26-2010 at 20:03..
RussP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2010, 20:36   #2
Mingus Jim

My most recent open carry experience was Monday when I openly carried to my fitness club and then to the local grocery store. As is normal, I had no comments and it didn't seem like anyone noticed. I've never had a negative comment when carrying openly, but have had some positive ones.

I usually carry semi-openly to my fitness club three times a week. I carry my G19 in my Sidearmor IWB holster. When I have my motorcycle jacket on, it is concealed, but when I take it off, it is visible. Only comments I've had at the fitness club have been positive. Several of us older folks that go to the fitness club own firearms and several, including women, pack. So, it seems it is not unusual for them to see a firearm. Even one retired USPS letter carrier from NYC has his CCW permit and has taken several firearms classes. When I first met him last fall on one of our monthly hikes, when I and one or two others carry openly, he said he was not yet used to seeing someone without a uniform carrying a firearm.
Niner's #1799 [G19]
-------
"Gun control means using both hands."
Mingus Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2010, 21:48   #3
Warp
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

I've been carrying openly now and again this summer. I only posted the one time in the now closed thread. Other than that I have had nothing whatsoever to share, not even a crooked look as far as I could tell. Movie theater, grocery store, mall, a restaraunt, walking the dog....

I HIGHLY recommend Google Chrome and Adblock to all world wide web users. (I would have left GT a long time ago without these extensions!)
Warp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2010, 22:36   #4
packsaddle

I live in Texas and open carried for a little while yesterday, mainly from the kitchen to the living room.

I did receive one disapproving stare from a woman sitting on the couch, but I just ignored her (until she called me into the dining room for supper).

Last edited by packsaddle; 07-26-2010 at 22:37..
packsaddle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2010, 23:16   #5
dwalker84

About 25 minutes ago I was in the laundry room at my apartment, and a guy walks in and puts his basket down. I could see him staring at me through the corner of my eye. After about a minute he says in a very feminine voice "Hey I like that rig, what kinda gun is that sweetie?" and then "I just got my CCW last week in the mail, I didn't know you could carry all out-in-the-open like that, but I'll carry 'in the closet' until I get used to it." He pulled up his shirt to show me a fullsize 1911 in an IWB. I was actually shocked that such a feminine guy was carrying such a "manly" pistol. I was so hoping he wasn't going to flash me or something, really relieved it was a firearm... ;x

Last edited by dwalker84; 07-28-2010 at 02:39..
dwalker84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2010, 18:09   #6
dwalker84

I walked past an LEO today, he said "Hey, wait up." I kinda thought "awww, damn...." and turned around.

He asked, "what model glock is that?"
Me - "23 .40cal, I love it"
Him - "Hows the recoil with the compacts? I heard it's snappy"
Me - "I personally can't tell the difference, I don't like the subcompacts though.. don't like my pinky hanging off the grip"
Him - "Yeah, same. I love my 22, but I have a 19 for off-duty, I was thinking about getting the 23, and MAYBE the 27, I'd have to get those special mags for the grip"
Me - "I used to have a 22, it was hard to conceal though, otherwise I would have kept it, I loved that gun."
Him - "I've got pretty big hands, hows the grip, are the finger grooves spaced the same as the full size?"
Me - "Not sure, I can't tell the difference though"

etc.. etc.. etc.

He said that hes proud to see citizens carry, especially open. He said it makes his job easier and safer. He also said it keeps the 2A alive and strong.

(We continued talking guns for like 5-10 minutes)

We were standing out in the sun, at this point I was getting soaked in sweat, as it was atleast 105F today. I don't know how officers stand it in Tucson, wearing those dark blue/black uniforms. The motorcycle/bike cops get to atleast wear white. I was in a white T-shirt and I was frying.... I felt bad for the dude.

Told him it was nice chatting with him, and we went our separate ways. Super nice guy.

Last edited by dwalker84; 07-27-2010 at 18:11..
dwalker84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2010, 06:15   #7
SouthernBoyVA

I have been carrying openly everyday for the past three years now. As I mentioned in the closed thread, I do this primarily because of my knees. I have osteoarthritis in both of them and will require a knee replacement sometime down the road. For now, my knees do not allow me to run from a situation or to stay and fight someone as I was once capable of doing. And even though I do CC from time to time, OC'ing sends a message to anyone who might be of a mind to do me harm, that perhaps it is in his best interests to leave me alone.

Two weeks ago today, I was grocery shopping and our county sheriff came right by me, turned around, then went back in the direction from which he had come. My guess is that someone may have said something to him and he just wanted to check things out. As those members on this site are fully aware, Virginia is VERY gun-lenient and gun-friendly which makes OC'ing a non-issue. The area in which I live is loaded with non-natives, many from northern states and some from foreign countries. It is also very affluent. One might think this combination would create problems for OC'ers but somehow it doesn't. It's weird, but they seem to learn quickly that guns are part of the culture of Virginians and they know we carry them at our pleasure.

P.S. Thanks Russ for staring this back up with your admonishment. It never ceases to both amaze and irritate me that there are people who carry concealed firearms that are so biased against those who carry openly. Discussions are fine... arguments and name calling only serve those who would see our rights go in the trash.

Last edited by SouthernBoyVA; 07-28-2010 at 06:18..
SouthernBoyVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2010, 18:15   #8
1911austin

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernBoyVA View Post
P.S. Thanks Russ for staring this back up with your admonishment. It never ceases to both amaze and irritate me that there are people who carry concealed firearms that are so biased against those who carry openly. Discussions are fine... arguments and name calling only serve those who would see our rights go in the trash.
I agree and wish OC was an option in Texas
Old 07-28-2010, 20:31   #9
RussP

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1911austin View Post
I agree and wish OC was an option in Texas
Oh, it is...
Quote:
Originally Posted by packsaddle View Post
I live in Texas and open carried for a little while yesterday, mainly from the kitchen to the living room.

I did receive one disapproving stare from a woman sitting on the couch, but I just ignored her (until she called me into the dining room for supper).

I was in Lewisville a couple of years ago. Went shopping for a lightweight jacket at a small men's store in one of shopping centers.

The lady there asked if she could help. We found a couple of jackets I liked. I asked her if I could use a changing room to try them on.

She looked me in the eyes and said, "You're carrying, aren't you. Don't worry, I'm part-owner of the store. There's no need to use a changing room."

So, I removed my suit coat and tried on the jackets.

She told me both she and her husband (other owner) both had CHL's as did many of their customers. She said they had sold the store and did not know how the new owners were going to treat their carriers.

Anyway, it was another good Texas experience for me.

"Comment is free, but facts are sacred." C.P. Scott, 1921
RussP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2010, 17:18   #10
leif_g23

Quote:
Originally Posted by packsaddle View Post

Ahh... this sounds just like my house:(
leif_g23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2010, 14:52   #11
handgun1

UOC California

I have only had my Sig 226 for about 1 1/2 months now and I live in southern California. We all know that California is probably one of the least gun friendly states of them all. I have been "easing" into OCing and haven't really gone too far from my house. I was out walking my dog one night and passed a couple of 20-somethings tossing a football in the street and one said, "nice gat!" and then pointed it out to his friend. That has been the only interaction that I've experienced thus far. California restricts OCing to at least 1000' from any K-12 school and there are tons around where I live. If I pass through a school zone, the gun must be in a locked box or the trunk of a car. California makes it as difficult as possible to OC. I would apply for my CCW, but that is nearly impossible to get unless you have a threat against your life or you have some other extenuating circumstance.
handgun1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2010, 19:11   #12
xenophon

open carried at a local walmart. In WI, open carry is our only option. It's constitutional open carry, no permit required Just can't have it loaded inside the car though, I have to put it into my holster when I got out of the car, and put it back in the trunk when I got back. Stupid eh?

No one really noticed/cared, went without a hitch.

Last edited by xenophon; 09-12-2010 at 19:13..
xenophon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2010, 17:23   #13
filthy infidel
100% Infidel

I have carried concealed for years. For kicks during short trips to the gas station, etc, I carried openly. I am a creature of habit so I OC'd in different locations that those that I frequent.
No odd stares, no police called. I still don't like it. Even instances where my concealment has been poor, such as while hiking and drenched with sweat, I feel 'better'.
Old 09-19-2010, 11:34   #14
Daryl in Az
Enjoying life!

I've been open carrying off-and-on since the early 1980's. Concealed carry wasn't even a consideration here in Az 'till the mid-1990's.

I tried concealed carry for a while, and still do conceal in some places, but mostly I open carry.

Honestly, I see no reactional difference in others no matter how I carry. Few if any even seem to notice.

I usually wear blue jeans, a western shirt, and a straw or felt stetson (see my avatar). For the last few months, I've mostly been carrying a G23 in a paddle type leather holster just behind my strong side hip. Before that, I carried a J-frame the same way, and before that it was a G27. I've also carried a S&W 686, Ruger GP-100, Blackhawk, Vaquero, or Single Six, and for a couple of years a Star Firestar in .40 S&W.

Seriously, I don't completely understand what all the concern is about. If a person is armed, then they're armed. Any danger they may or may not present should not be determined by whether one can see the gun or not. In fact, I usually figure an OC'er is legal, since a prohibited possessor would hide it.

I've open carried since I was in my mid-teen's, and I'm 44 years old. I've OC's at grocery stores, gas stations, hardware stores, on public streets, while riding a motorcycle, in the hills, in my yard, in my house, in restaurants, and about anywhere else one can imagine.

I've never, not even once had an LEO question me about it unless there was some other reason for the encounter. In that case, they usually (not always) ask to remove the firearm until the enounter is finished. That said, I haven't been stopped for a traffic violation in 15+ years, so encounters are very few other then friends/relatives who are LEO's. The last LEO I remember asking me about it was just after the LA Riots in the 1990's. An Az DPS officer stopped me for not having a mirror on the passenger side of my truck, and said it was required with tinted windows. He'd just moved to Arizona from LA, and had been involved in the riots from what I've heard of him. He set the pistol on the roof of my vehicle until he finished writing a repair order, and then handed it back.

Open carry isn't the great bru-ha-ha some would make it out to be, IMO. After all these years, it's not something I do to make a statement, and I'm not trying to get noticed. It's simply a matter of comfort and carry options.

Daryl

Molon Labe!
Daryl in Az is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2010, 21:55   #15
LEOINTRAINING

I open carry as well

I served in the USMC and now am going to E.K.U. for a degree in Police Studies. I have been open carrying for a few months now, and have had no negative encounters, except for some staring from some soccer moms. I carry a Glock 35 Gen 3 tactical tupperware, in a Blackhawk CQB holster, with it topped off at 16 rounds and two loaded spare mags on my weak side in a double mag open mouthed mag pouch. I live in KY. so one can conceal or open carry here. To conceal you have the Concealed Carry Deadly Weapons License, which I got due to getting reciprocity with 33 other states to carry by having one. My wife and I go to Tennessee a lot to Pigeon Forge or Gatlinburg and Dallas TX to visit friends, so it is a must.

Open carry is being on the tip of the spear of supporting gun rights. When people see normal law abiding citizens carrying it sends a good message to everyone who might have stereotyped us the wrong way.

I applaud everyone who joins me in this practice.
LEOINTRAINING is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2010, 16:52   #16
Diesel_Bomber

OC'D out to breakfast and then to Bimart this morning with my wife. A few strange looks. The waitress at the diner asked if I was carrying a 26 or a 27, and then made fun of me when I told her it was a 26. No issues, hell no one noticed. You could probably OC a 12gauge pump pistol and no one would care.
Old 09-25-2010, 20:00   #17
Warp
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diesel_Bomber View Post
OC'D out to breakfast and then to Bimart this morning with my wife. A few strange looks. The waitress at the diner asked if I was carrying a 26 or a 27, and then made fun of me when I told her it was a 26. No issues, hell no one noticed. You could probably OC a 12gauge pump pistol and no one would care.
The strange looks were probably people wondering why you open carried such a small pistol. Doesn't it just look funny?

I used to do it with a G26 but quickly swithed to an A&G grip extension with a G17 mag.

I HIGHLY recommend Google Chrome and Adblock to all world wide web users. (I would have left GT a long time ago without these extensions!)
Warp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2010, 20:06   #18
Brian Lee
Drop those nuts

I don't know of a single entertaining story of OC here in AZ because if you do it, most people will just act like they don't even notice.
Brian Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2010, 20:10   #19
JuneyBooney

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwalker84 View Post
About 25 minutes ago I was in the laundry room at my apartment, and a guy walks in and puts his basket down. I could see him staring at me through the corner of my eye. After about a minute he says in a very feminine voice "Hey I like that rig, what kinda gun is that sweetie?" and then "I just got my CCW last week in the mail, I didn't know you could carry all out-in-the-open like that, but I'll carry 'in the closet' until I get used to it." He pulled up his shirt to show me a fullsize 1911 in an IWB. I was actually shocked that such a feminine guy was carrying such a "manly" pistol. I was so hoping he wasn't going to flash me or something, really relieved it was a firearm... ;x
Great post...
JuneyBooney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2010, 10:16   #20
Daryl in Az
Enjoying life!

My wife and I went to town yesterday to pick up a few things. Along the way, we stopped at Fry's (grocery store) for a few items she needed to fix supper.

On the way out to the truck, a Sierra Vista PD officer was stopped, waiting for traffic to clear before moving on. He waved for us to go ahead and cross in front of him, so we did.

I'm pretty sure he saw my OC'd G23 on my right hip, but he didn't seem to. No comments, no looks, and he moved on after we passed.

Just another day.

Daryl

Molon Labe!
Daryl in Az is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2010, 15:26   #21
Diesel_Bomber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warp View Post
The strange looks were probably people wondering why you open carried such a small pistol. Doesn't it just look funny?

I used to do it with a G26 but quickly swithed to an A&G grip extension with a G17 mag.
No one has said it looks funny, and I don't think it does. I do have a Glock factory +2 extension on the mag so I can get my pinky on the grip, and of course for the extra rounds. The G26 is my preferred carry gun. If I'm wearing an overshirt, it's CC. If I'm not, it's OC. I'd agree that OC'ing an LCP or something that size would be odd, though.

OC'd again today, same setup, G26/Blackhawk Serpa. If the clerk at the convenience store noticed or cared, he didn't mention it. The bum outside didn't ask me for change, but had asked the two people who walked by ahead of me. I continued on to my woodlot to drop off some building materials for the cabin and ran into my neighbor who was tending the cattle he runs on my property. He was OC'ing too.
Old 09-29-2010, 17:15   #22
Diesel_Bomber

OC'd on my woodlot again today, nobody there to care. Only interaction with the public was when I stopped in town to buy a burrito from a taco truck. The lady taking my order asked if I was a cop, when I said no, she said "Sorry no discount for you." with a smile. The other customers waiting in line didn't give any indication if they noticed or cared.

Done correctly, OC is a non issue.
Old 10-03-2010, 07:30   #23
INJoker
Simply Charming

I won't pee on this one. I promise.

The only time I open carry is when I am traveling to/from the range. Occasionally I will stop at a gas station to fill up or at a restaurant to grab lunch. In those instances, I have never had anyone say anything directly to me, but judging by their facial reactions, they almost always notice.

I don't know where you guys live, but I have NEVER gotten the "wink and nod" or "Oh, sweet, what are you carrying?" or "Is that a G19 or a G23?" comments that most of you allege are typical.

I live in one of the gun-friendliest states in the Republic, and I've never experienced the overwhelming social support that I read about in these threads.

Last edited by INJoker; 10-03-2010 at 07:30..
INJoker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2010, 13:53   #24
hempfieldninja

so many of you live in a more gun friendly area. im in PA and the few times i open carry people are weird! i just started telling people that im off duty when i see them staring at my hip. that seems to comfort them but still its an odd thing over all. thats why i mostly carry my .38 snubby CCW, although i feel more at-ease with my g22. i guess its just a different wourld around here.
Old 10-28-2010, 20:29   #25
BRoberts243

Quote:
Originally Posted by hempfieldninja View Post
so many of you live in a more gun friendly area. im in PA and the few times i open carry people are weird! i just started telling people that im off duty when i see them staring at my hip. that seems to comfort them but still its an odd thing over all. thats why i mostly carry my .38 snubby CCW, although i feel more at-ease with my g22. i guess its just a different wourld around here.

yea is there any stories from indiana, particularly in a city somewhere in indiana?
most of the posts in this one and the other thread are from AZ, or very rural areas that they know most the ppl who they see.
BRoberts243 is offline   Reply With Quote