Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 08-29-2010, 14:06   #1
detroitdiablo

Buffalo Bore .357 sig ammo

Does anyone have any experience with Buffalo Bore .357 sig hollowpoint ammo? Specifically anyone test this stuff? Gelatin? Phone books? Chrono? Is it worth the money? All the negative stuff about doubletap ammo recently I am trying to find a new speed king, does BB live up to the hype? Any input would be good.
detroitdiablo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2010, 12:04   #2
RB98SS

Yes, I have chrono'ed the round out of a G33. I don't have my data in front of me but I believe it clocked around 1340fps. I would not plan on using them for PD as after re-chambering, the bullets set back all the way to where they were loose in the brass. It happened to several rounds. I get equal performance reloading with 800X and do not suffer the setback issues with my reloads.

I'll confirm my chrono results tonight when I get the chance.
RB98SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2010, 19:41   #3
RB98SS

Well, I looked high and low but couldn't find the chrono information on the BB's but I can tell you that they didn't surpass the 9.5gn 800X load that I had. That load was 1398fps out of the G33 stock. It may have been a bit higher than what I posted above, but as I remember, did not out perform the reloads.
Old 08-31-2010, 20:24   #4
detroitdiablo

was the ammo recent production or older stuff? Once you told me about the setback issue I went and kept racking in the bullets and got no set back, Was this happening to you with just one box? When did you purchase them?
Old 08-31-2010, 21:04   #5
RB98SS

Quote:
Originally Posted by detroitdiablo View Post
was the ammo recent production or older stuff? Once you told me about the setback issue I went and kept racking in the bullets and got no set back, Was this happening to you with just one box? When did you purchase them?
Yes, it was a recent purchase from Cabela's. I was really surprised myself at how easily the bullets collapsed into the brass. I only have 6 rounds left from the 20 purchased but do not plan to use them for the reason stated. It may have been a bad batch, I don't really know. It's the only factory 357sig ammo I've purchased....... I just grabbed the box, no date code on it. They are Item 25A-125 gr JHP @1425fps.
Old 09-01-2010, 10:02   #6
PBRLite

I experienced serious setback from both DT, and BB .357 sig ammo. I even tried pulling the bullets and re-crimping them, but they kept "falling" into the brass. I could even apply finger pressure to a few of the rounds.

Winchester White Box....not the same issue, but I wouldn't want to use it for self defense.

Will post a few pics tonight.

Last edited by PBRLite; 09-01-2010 at 10:04..
PBRLite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2010, 12:18   #7
RB98SS

Quote:
Originally Posted by PBRLite View Post
I experienced serious setback from both DT, and BB .357 sig ammo. I even tried pulling the bullets and re-crimping them, but they kept "falling" into the brass. I could even apply finger pressure to a few of the rounds.

Winchester White Box....not the same issue, but I wouldn't want to use it for self defense.

Will post a few pics tonight.
That's funny because I tried crimping them too with the same result. Last night I did try to force one of the six I have into the brass by hand and it didn't go. Didn't push the tip on a hard surface though, just used my fingers.
Old 09-02-2010, 05:33   #8
PBRLite

Here are the pics:

TOP GUNS *357 Sig* Club

TOP GUNS *357 Sig* Club

Those are the buffalo bore, will take some pics of the DT and post later.

Last edited by PBRLite; 09-02-2010 at 05:34..
Old 09-02-2010, 08:48   #9
detroitdiablo

how did this happen? were they like that right out of the box? did you push on them? were they from racking them into the barrel and then pulling them out? Did you contact Buffalo Bore about the problem? They should give you some new rounds.
Old 09-02-2010, 10:40   #10
PBRLite

I have gone two rounds of sending them back. Each batch is the same story. Like I posted above, I even tried re-crimping them myself. I've since given up on the .357 sig in a defensive carry capacity. I have lots of other options....and my G-29 has recently been getting the nod.

I know that BB, and DT both use Starline Brass. Not sure if it is a brass issue, I just don't have the time or the patience to address it anymore.
Old 09-03-2010, 13:22   #11
detroitdiablo

How did it happen? Were they like that right out of the box or did it happen by cycling them through the gun?
Old 09-04-2010, 21:30   #12
WoodenPlank
Who?

I use Winchester Ranger for my carry ammo, and have had ZERO setback issues with it, even after purposefully rechambering the same round numerous times. Sounds to me like this is an issue with the ammo youve been using, and not the cartridge design itself.
WoodenPlank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2010, 20:59   #13
blackbmw

I have never had a setback issue with this round. My carry ammo is buffalo bore, been thru hundreds of rounds, never an issue with any of them.
blackbmw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2010, 12:03   #14
Glockbuster

Must be a problem with BB or DT. Ive been using Speer Gold dots for a while with zero issues. I have however had some issue of that sort with CCI Blazer. A speer expert once told me they afix the bullets with something in the crimp to prevent setback issues. It used to be a serious issue at first--not anymore and recent ammo usage confirms this.

But Id always go with Federal or Speer premium ammo for carry in 357 Sig. No problems.
Glockbuster is offline   Reply With Quote