SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 10-02-2010, 18:29   #1
Caine

Kahr CW9 safety question

Mas:

I know you recently answered a Kahr 9mm question, but mine is on a different topic. I recently acquired a CW9, the entry-level model, and I want to pocket carry it in a DeSantis Nemesis pocket holster. I don't feel entirely comfortable carrying an auto with a round in the chamber, but, as you know, the Kahr is designed to load rounds from the slide release and not by racking the slide. This requires a person to carry with one in the pipe. Assuming that the gun is in proper working condition and the trigger is covered by the Nemesis holster, is there any unique risk to pocket carrying a Kahr in this manner versus a fully loaded revolver? Are there any known safety issues with the budget Kahrs in condition one versus other pistols?

Many thanks for all that you do for shooters. I am a fan.
Caine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2010, 18:45   #2
Mas Ayoob
KoolAidAntidote

Caine, ain't no problem taking more Kahr questions. I've been talking with the manufacturers/designers and shooting their guns since they came out, and Kahr pistols have won my respect by and large.

The Kahr is essentially "double action only," with a relatively long pull required to fire each shot, including the first. I have always carried mine with a round in the chamber, whether they were in the pocket or on the hip.

The Kahr can't be carried "condition one" per se; that describes a cocked hammer with a manual safety in the "on safe" position. The Kahr doesn't have those features. It's more like "condition two" with a hammer fired pistol: hammer down on a live round, and in this case requiring long pull of the trigger to fire the first shot. (The recently introduced manual safety version of the Kahr does muddy the waters on this particular definition, admittedly.)

Some respectfully offered suggestions:

--Make certain that you're using a good pocket holster like the one you describe, which covers the trigger guard area.

--You'll want a roomy pocket with an auto pistol of this size.

-- Don't allow anything ELSE in the pocket with the pocket-holstered pistol.

-- Avoid keychains, karabiners on belt loops near the pocket, or anything else that could snag in the trigger guard when you holster the pistol one-handed by feel.

-- Practice like hell dry-fire before you go live, and practice intensively live-fire before you trust this or any other carry system to protect you on the street.

Good luck and stay safe,
Mas
Mas Ayoob is offline   Reply With Quote