SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 10-07-2010, 17:07   #1
CA_DUDE
Dude here.

Future of the USP

So with the P30 and HK45's now, is there any definitive word on the future of the USP/c line?
CA_DUDE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2010, 17:33   #2
JBnTX
None

As long as people keep buying them, HK will keep making them?
JBnTX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2010, 19:09   #3
HAMMERHEAD

I think the variety of USP's will dwindle down to a few like the Expert, Tactical and maybe the USPf. Caliber choices will probably drop to .45acp only eventually.

I'm hoping to pick up a USP Expert in .45acp this weekend before they disappear.
HAMMERHEAD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2010, 21:46   #4
rsxr22

i agree with hammerhead. They are still a good gun, but have been surpassed by better options in just about every category imo
rsxr22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2010, 08:04   #5
H&K 4 LIFE
Leonum A Ignis

Quote:
Originally Posted by HAMMERHEAD View Post
I think the variety of USP's will dwindle down to a few like the Expert, Tactical and maybe the USPf. Caliber choices will probably drop to .45acp only eventually.

I'm hoping to pick up a USP Expert in .45acp this weekend before they disappear.
What leads you to speculate this?

If anything I would think HK would stop importing the more specialized models (Elite and Expert) before they would scrap the USP and USPc.

The only pistol HK has "discontinued" recently has been the Mk23, and with HK "discontinued" usually only means "made in limited runs".

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsxr22 View Post
i agree with hammerhead. They are still a good gun, but have been surpassed by better options in just about every category imo
How so?

You'd be hard pressed to find a more reliable pistol or better out of the box host pistol for a suppressor.
Old 10-08-2010, 16:16   #6
HAMMERHEAD

Quote:

If anything I would think HK would stop importing the more specialized models (Elite and Expert) before they would scrap the USP and USPc.
I think the HK45, P-30, P-2000/SK will take the lion's share of the HK market with the average shooter who is looking for a quality 9mm or .40 with good ergonomics and better CCW potential. The USP's have established HK's reputation for ruggedness and reliability, but size and ergonomics of the USP's drive away some sales. The newer models should sell better.

I'm guessing the Tactical, Expert and maybe the Elite will remain popular with shooters like me who want a no compromise German pistol with the O ring barrel and dual recoil springs. I think .45acp is the most popular caliber in those models, so the 9mm and .40 models may drop by the wayside.
The Elite would probably be the first of the longslides to go, with the Expert hanging on in .45acp. And like you say, there's no better platform for a suppressed pistol, which is why the Tactical will probably be around a long time.

Just my guess.

Last edited by HAMMERHEAD; 10-08-2010 at 16:19..
HAMMERHEAD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2010, 20:14   #7
rsxr22

Quote:
Originally Posted by H&K 4 LIFE View Post

The only pistol HK has "discontinued" recently has been the Mk23, and with HK "discontinued" usually only means "made in limited runs".

How so?

You'd be hard pressed to find a more reliable pistol or better out of the box host pistol for a suppressor.
I cannot comment on the suppressor comment because i have no experience besides shooting a suppressed usp45 a few times. What makes them a better setup then say the FN TAC, SW M&P Spec Ops, or even a Glock with threaded barrel?

I feel that they have been surpassed by the p30, hk45, and p2000 series because they are of equal reliability and accuracy, but the ergos on the previously named pistols blow the usp out of the water, obviously this is just my opinion, but i dont see how anyone could disagree especially with the newer models having replaceable backstraps and side panels
Old 10-08-2010, 20:24   #8
Aceman

Quote:
I cannot comment on the suppressor comment because i have no experience besides shooting a suppressed usp45 a few times. What makes them a better setup then say the FN TAC, SW M&P Spec Ops, or even a Glock with threaded barrel?

I feel that they have been surpassed by the p30, hk45, and p2000 series because they are of equal reliability and accuracy, but the ergos on the previously named pistols blow the usp out of the water, obviously this is just my opinion, but i dont see how anyone could disagree especially with the newer models having replaceable backstraps and side panels
I notice the only pistols surpassing the USP are other HKs. As would be expected.
Aceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2010, 21:14   #9
H&K 4 LIFE
Leonum A Ignis

Quote:

I've shot/own a good deal of the other HK models. I would still pick the USP over them everytime.

Heckler & Koch Forum
Old 10-09-2010, 06:47   #10
Hokie1911
><><><><><

Quote:
I've shot/own a good deal of the other HK models. I would still pick the USP over them everytime.

Heckler & Koch Forum
Great pic man.

I had a USP9c years ago that I sold. Always miss that one and regretted selling it, but I was cash strapped at the time. Been wanting another HK for a while. Picked up a new P2000 this week. Almost got a P30, but like the shorter grip as I plan in carrying it. Would have probably been just as happy with another USPc.
Hokie1911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2010, 09:40   #11
rsxr22

Quote:

Heckler & Koch Forum
What would your reasoning for this be? The USP fits my hand good enough and dont get me wrong, i love mine, but the others feel much better in the hand. This is my opinion, but also has been the opinion of every other person that has handled them in my shop. Some people end uip going with the usp anyway because of cost, but i havent heard anyone say that the grip on the usp is more comfortable then say the p30
Old 10-09-2010, 09:46   #12
Gary1911A1

When you see HK make the HK45 in a Tactical version and start to modify the HK45 frame and slide to work with the 9MM and .40 I'd say the USP's days are numbered, but that's not going to happen anytime soon.
Gary1911A1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2010, 11:29   #13
zackwatt
Lifetime Membership
SCCC Supporter

I doubt its going anywhere soon...

Remember: "Heavy is Good, Heavy is Reliable. Plus, If It Doesn't Work You Can Always Hit Them with It."
zackwatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2010, 18:54   #14
H&K 4 LIFE
Leonum A Ignis

Quote:
What would your reasoning for this be?...
In my experience, the USP has a noticeably shorter reset then the P-Series pistols. This applies to both DA/SA variants as well as LEM. I have a good deal of appreciation for the P30 in V3, but the USP's SA reset is still shorter.

Match triggers are also available for the USP, however they are not available for any of the P-Series.

I prefer the external control lever of the USP and it's easily obtained and user installed detent plates to customize it's function. In addition, the USP has the ability to retain or discard the control lever as a manual safety when using LEM. Compared to the P2000/SK which cannot do any of this.

As I said, I own/shoot many HK pistols and they are all excellent. Overall I personally just prefer the USP.
Old 10-09-2010, 18:54   #15
BORELLAR

I have a question about my HK I just bought used. I bought a HK USP compact .40 S&W and it seems to have a little bit of wear on the inside of the frame. The rails on it seem to have a little wear where the plastic and the metal connect with each other. It seems like the rails were meant to be all plastic but the plastic pealed off and now there is just metal there. Anyone know if this is normal? It doesnt seem to have affected the cycling of the slide, but I jst want to know if anyone else has seen anything that looks like that. I will post pics if nobody knows what I am talking about. Its kinda underneath the locking block on the frame, and on the rails. Basically anywhere there is metal coated with plastic on the rails that go in the grooves of the slide, the plastic looks to have came off and just show metal. Any help would be great. I am completely new to HK
Old 10-09-2010, 18:56   #16
H&K 4 LIFE
Leonum A Ignis

Quote:
Originally Posted by BORELLAR View Post
I have a question about my HK I just bought used. I bought a HK USP compact .40 S&W and it seems to have a little bit of wear on the inside of the frame. The rails on it seem to have a little wear where the plastic and the metal connect with each other. It seems like the rails were meant to be all plastic but the plastic pealed off and now there is just metal there. Anyone know if this is normal? It doesnt seem to have affected the cycling of the slide, but I jst want to know if anyone else has seen anything that looks like that. I will post pics if nobody knows what I am talking about. Its kinda underneath the locking block on the frame, and on the rails. Basically anywhere there is metal coated with plastic on the rails that go in the grooves of the slide, the plastic looks to have came off and just show metal. Any help would be great. I am completely new to HK
100% normal. Excess flashing that will wear off naturally. Carry on.
Old 10-09-2010, 20:28   #17
JNKIRK1974

The P30 and the HK45/c IS the USP line.....just modernized. Not sure that they will need to continue making USPs for too much longer. It could be a few more years, but I can't imagine them continuing with the USP line. I fully expect them to continue building on the P30 and HK45 style guns at this point.
JNKIRK1974 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2010, 15:43   #18
BORELLAR

Quote:
100% normal. Excess flashing that will wear off naturally. Carry on.
Wooo! Thanks man. I was freakin out for a second. But I ended up makin a deal with my local dealer. I ended up tradin it in and got a brand new HK USP .40 full size. Idk why, but I just like the way the full size looks a lot better. Its somethin with the hammer and mainly the larger trigger guard, and the fact that the rail is longer. Idk I just love the full size. But thanks for your help, and info, it will be helpfull when breaking in my new fullsize.
Old 10-18-2010, 05:56   #19
mrauditor

Congrats on the new USP. I am also eyeing a like new USP 40 at my local gunshop. It has 5 mags and is on consignment for $625. Does that price seem reasonable to anyone ?

Thanks.

Last edited by mrauditor; 10-18-2010 at 05:57..
mrauditor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2010, 09:11   #20
H&K 4 LIFE
Leonum A Ignis

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrauditor View Post
Congrats on the new USP. I am also eyeing a like new USP 40 at my local gunshop. It has 5 mags and is on consignment for $625. Does that price seem reasonable to anyone ?

Thanks.
Yes, that is reasonable. What is the date code?

<table width="56%" border="0" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tbody><tr><td width="10%" align="center">A</td><td width="10%" align="center">B</td><td width="10%" align="center">C</td><td width="10%" align="center">D</td><td width="10%" align="center">E</td><td width="10%" align="center">F</td><td width="10%" align="center">G</td><td width="10%" align="center">H</td><td width="10%" align="center">I</td><td width="10%" align="center">K</td></tr><tr><td width="10%" align="center">0</td><td width="10%" align="center">1</td><td width="10%" align="center">2</td><td width="10%" align="center">3</td><td width="10%" align="center">4</td><td width="10%" align="center">5</td><td width="10%" align="center">6</td><td width="10%" align="center">7</td><td width="10%" align="center">8</td><td width="10%" align="center">9</td></tr></tbody></table>
Old 10-30-2010, 17:46   #21
thunderstrike

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrauditor View Post

Thanks.
Here's a link on used USP 40 for you to compare with...

http://www.summitgunbroker.com/USP_40.html
Springfield XD 45
thunderstrike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2010, 13:46   #22
Furyataurus

Send a message via AIM to Furyataurus
USP's have been around since 1994........don't see them going away for awhile.

I prefer the "beefy" slide stop lever/release of the USP/C over the newer HK designs.
Marlin 336C 30-30
Furyataurus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2010, 06:22   #23
skar

I had a glock 17 then xd .40 then went to a m&P .40
Sold the M&P for mag drop problem. And wanted a safer gun for the
wife and I at bedside. And carry if needed. I new H&H and sigs are the best
So I told my dealer I wanted a double / single action (I think that's what you call them)1st pull long and hard. With a safety. He showed me the UPS compact and a Beretta storm compact. I did not like the feel of the storm. So I got the UPS . Now looks like I should have looked at other H&Hs ?? But looks like the UPS is the only one with a safety.
skar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2010, 07:50   #24
thunderstrike

You would've liked HK P30S. Very ergonomic, but USP or USP Compact are just as good.

You got a great pistol; congratulations.
Springfield XD 45
thunderstrike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2010, 08:59   #25
skar

Yes it looks nice.
skar is offline   Reply With Quote