Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 10-14-2010, 10:54   #21
emt1581
Curious Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwrjr View Post
They can double as pre-cut toilet paper in your scenario. Although I'd run them through the washing machine first. No telling what creepy crawlies are on them.
In MY scenario? I get the joke but were you denying what we're seeing as far as the USD losing value rapidly?

-Emt1581
emt1581 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2010, 10:58   #22
Big Bird
NRA Life Member

Does the Federal Reserve do its trading online through Scwab or Ameritrade or do they use a broker?

Where are the securities held?

“Est Nulla Via Invia Virute”
Big Bird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2010, 11:03   #23
rwrjr

Quote:
Originally Posted by emt1581 View Post
In MY scenario? I get the joke but were you denying what we're seeing as far as the USD losing value rapidly?

-Emt1581
Nope, I agree that the greenback is dropping like a rock. Me thinks something is afoot. I'll know for sure in about three weeks.

Tangibles are king. The priority you assign to different classes of tangibles is up to you. Hopefully you guess right and if not you'll have plenty of time to brush up on the age old skill of bartering.

A man is none the less a slave because he is allowed to choose a new master once in a term of years. --Lysander Spooner
rwrjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2010, 11:07   #24
emt1581
Curious Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwrjr View Post
Nope, I agree that the greenback is dropping like a rock. Me thinks something is afoot. I'll know for sure in about three weeks.

Tangibles are king. The priority you assign to different classes of tangibles is up to you. Hopefully you guess right and if not you'll have plenty of time to brush up on the age old skill of bartering.
Personally, I'm pouring a ton of money into home repairs. That way, other than needing electricity and water, I'm as independent as possible.

But aside from that, there are several tangibles which have proven themselves in bad times, some we've been talking about for a long time.

-Emt1581
Old 10-14-2010, 16:15   #25
wjv

Quote:
Stacks of bills just in case of a SHTF. However, given that the SHTF seems likely to be those bills becoming worthless...I'm not sure that is the best idea any more.

-Emt1581
Didn't say "stacks" of bills. In any currency crisis there will likely be a time when you will have zero access to your money in the bank (bank holiday / bank closings). Odds are that debit can credit cards will also be frozen. During the early days no one will take PMs. You will need to go to a dealer, cash in you PMs, then spend the money.

It is much easier if you have $500 or so stashed away in the safe that you can quickly access so that you can buy a tank full of gas and a trunk full of food. Despite the dollar crashing, there will always be people willing to take worthless pieces of paper, just as they have been trained to do all their lives.

The urge to save humanity is almost always a false-face for the urge to rule it.
- H. L. Mencken -
wjv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2010, 16:21   #26
emt1581
Curious Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcvojak View Post
Didn't say "stacks" of bills. In any currency crisis there will likely be a time when you will have zero access to your money in the bank (bank holiday / bank closings). Odds are that debit can credit cards will also be frozen. During the early days no one will take PMs. You will need to go to a dealer, cash in you PMs, then spend the money.

It is much easier if you have $500 or so stashed away in the safe that you can quickly access so that you can buy a tank full of gas and a trunk full of food. Despite the dollar crashing, there will always be people willing to take worthless pieces of paper, just as they have been trained to do all their lives.
Ohhhh ok...I was thinking like stacks of $20's and maybe 5-10 grand worth.

-Emt1581
Old 10-14-2010, 19:07   #27
Dennis in MA
Get off my lawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Bird View Post
Does the Federal Reserve do its trading online through Scwab or Ameritrade or do they use a broker?

Where are the securities held?
Now yer just poking them with a sharp stick.

Question for the masses: If the government controls the stock market, why did it go from 1525 to 677 in less than 2 years???? Or is it like the DMV - they are only in control when it's for evil. When they are inept, it doesn't count?

It's puff puff PASS, dewds.

And boy do I wish I had bot some silver at $9 - just to sell it to people now. Making near a triple on my $ would have been cool. I'm only up 35% or so on my BP.
Old 10-14-2010, 19:08   #28
Dennis in MA
Get off my lawn

Oh, and one more thing: Is it better to have a strong dollar or a weak one?

Who wants to answer that. Seems the same people that rail against a falling dollar rail against the rising dollar, too. You can't have it both ways.

Dangit - I'm poking with my own sharp stick!
Old 10-14-2010, 19:37   #29
emt1581
Curious Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis in MA View Post
And boy do I wish I had bot some silver at $9 - just to sell it to people now. Making near a triple on my $ would have been cool. I'm only up 35% or so on my BP.
Tell me about it! I wanted to buy Silver when it was just over $10. My broker told me it was a bad idea. I'm just glad I went against what he said and bought when it was at $16-$18! It's not like I'm going to retire on the money I made...but at least if/when our USD becomes worthless, I'll have enough to buy some stuff.

Something I realized today. I've seen people over on a silver forum getting all tickled pink that their silver is shooting up in price. And I suppose if you have a few hundred pounds of it you can live quite comfortably. But the more USD's an ounce costs, the less the USD is worth. The value of PM's pretty much remain constant. But in the grand scheme of things, screw the few extra bucks silver holders are making, I'm thinking things are about to get UGLY!

-Emt1581
Old 10-14-2010, 21:35   #30
VBG23

Quote:
Question for the masses: If the government controls the stock market, why did it go from 1525 to 677 in less than 2 years???? Or is it like the DMV - they are only in control when it's for evil. When they are inept, it doesn't count?
Who said specifically the government controls the stock market? I believe what I said was that it was manipulated. Now I will admit we are approaching a collusion between corporate and government that approaches the definition of facism, so yea they do have a hand in it but once again you paraphrase incorrectly to deflect from the fact that you have no facts.

To actually answer a question you posed: because bubbles must burst; period. The housing market was an artifical bubble inflated by government intrusion into the free market (Community Reinvestment Act) and banks (private) using creative and down right dishonest methods of qualifying people for loans they shouldn't get but the government believes they should. Keeping interest rates far too low for far too long by the Fed (public/private entity) kept the easy money flowing into homes. Banks then take advantage of the bubble and package all sorts of mortgage backed securities that are billed by the rating agencies (private) as being iron-clad AAA investments. So the artifical bubble was created by a collection of private and government entities.

There are all sorts of factors that lead to manipulation, and to answer your other smart-***** question: even the highs are due to government ineptitude. They try to directly intervene into earn votes and keep their jobs, and in doing so they push things way too high way too fast and screw with the freemarket system to the point of no return.

Everything that occurs naturally finds a natural equilibrium on its own without outside influence. There are way, WAY too many factors and systems and individuals to effectively control an entire eco-system. The same goes for the free market system as it is intended to exist.

You liberals love to scream about how we are damaging the environment with our pollution and even a small amount of pollution will eventually build up and destroy the eco-system. Well the free market is the exact same way. It is a delicate eco-system that even a small amount of artifical interference will damage. We have screwed with the free market for so long and so thoroughly we have polluted it beyond repair.
"Respect for religion must be reestablished. Public debt should be reduced. The arrogance of public officials must be curtailed. Assistance to foreign lands must be stopped or we shall bankrupt ourselves. The people should be forced to work and not depend on government for subsistence." - Cicero, 60 B.C.
VBG23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2010, 21:41   #31
VBG23

So are you just gonna mock or are you going to answer an actual question?

Quote:
If you don't buy the "manipulation" theory, why is it that insider trading shows over 1000-1 are withdrawing money and mutual funds have been hemoraging cash as everyday people are pulling their money out as well.
http://www.zerohedge.com/article/pag...ate-hit-80-bil
So if everyone is pulling money out of the market so fast, how is it still going up?
How can more people be withdrawing money from the market than putting into it for 23 consecutive months at the same time the market continues to rise?

Does supply and demand no longer apply?
"Respect for religion must be reestablished. Public debt should be reduced. The arrogance of public officials must be curtailed. Assistance to foreign lands must be stopped or we shall bankrupt ourselves. The people should be forced to work and not depend on government for subsistence." - Cicero, 60 B.C.
Old 10-15-2010, 16:05   #32
Big Bird
NRA Life Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverCity View Post
Pay attention, Dennis.

Don't believe the markets are rigged by our own government?

Executive Order 12631 signed by Ronald Reagan in 1988. The "President's Working Group On Financial Markets". We know them as the "Plunge Protection Team". Guess who is on that team: The Secretary of the Treasury, the Chairman of the Federal Reserve, The Chairman of the Security and Exchange Commission, and the Chairman of the Commodity Futures Trading Commission.

And what do you think it is they do?

In this crucial upcoming election, TPTB can see the writing on the wall and I bet they are pulling out all the stops to keep this market solvent...at least until after the elections.

SC
You used a chart that election Years outperform average years since 1900 as proof that the "Plunge Protection Team" started by President Reagan's Executive Order in 1988 manipulates markets?

Can I give you a hint? 1988 was the last year of Reagan's second term. Even if he could have maipulated markets with his working group he couldn't run for a third term... So what was his motive?

“Est Nulla Via Invia Virute”
Big Bird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2010, 16:38   #33
SilverCity

Quote:
You used a chart that election Years outperform average years since 1900 as proof that the "Plunge Protection Team" started by President Reagan's Executive Order in 1988 manipulates markets?

Can I give you a hint? 1988 was the last year of Reagan's second term. Even if he could have maipulated markets with his working group he couldn't run for a third term... So what was his motive?
His handlers made him sign it. They knew his judgement was affected by his Alzheimers disease, and simply waited for an opportune moment.

Source: Bob Chapman

http://theinternationalforecaster.com/

http://bobchapman.blogspot.com/

Bob was his neighbor in Malibu, and was a close, personal friend. When Bob asked Ron why he appointed all those CFR folks to key cabinet positions, his response was, "They'd kill me if I didn't. They are the ones who got me elected".

What were his handlers motives? Your guess is as good as any...

Control of the markets, maybe?

By the way, this behind-the-scenes control of US presidents has been going on for at least 100 years. Research the Banking Act of 1913, which established the Federal Reserve. What did they have on "Woody" Wilson to make him sign that bill? A dalliance with a young coed when he was President of Princeton University.

When asked by a reporter why he signed the Emergency Banking Act of 1933, which closed banks and outlawed gold ownership, FDR said candidly, "That's what I was told to do."

Read "The Creature from Jekyll Island" by G. Edward Griffin; watch "The Money Masters" DVD and get an education about the international banking cartel's role in geopolitics over the last 200 years, for starters.

Then, maybe we can talk.

“It is well enough that people of the nation do not understand our banking and monetary system, for if they did, I believe there would be a revolution before tomorrow morning.”
- Henry Ford

SC

Last edited by SilverCity; 10-15-2010 at 21:08..
SilverCity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2010, 16:43   #34
1 old 0311

I am glad as heck I have 387 ounces sitting in a safe deposit box. When it hits $30 I MAY dump it.
1 old 0311 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2010, 16:48   #35
1 old 0311

Quote:

. . . fed pumps up the market before an election. That's a new one on me.

Don't know about the Fed but the Saudi's have dropped oil prices prior to every Presidential election since Nixon.
1 old 0311 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2010, 17:00   #36
VBG23

Quote:
Is this a serious question given the current midterms? If the markets tank during an election year, whatever party is in power has a tendency to lose. It isn't Reagan or Carter or Obama or Bush, it is the Democratic party or the Republican party and whichever party the buisness world thinks will be beneficial.

A rising market is not a guaranteed win, but a sinking market is a huge weight around the neck of whatever political party lays claim to the guy in office.
Old 10-15-2010, 17:31   #37
emt1581
Curious Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1 old 0311 View Post
I am glad as heck I have 387 ounces sitting in a safe deposit box. When it hits $30 I MAY dump it.
When it hits $30 that's probably an indication you want to HOLD it...not dump it.

As I said before, once it gets higher and higher in relation to the dollar, that's not a good thing. I means were are about to be or are already in some serious s***.

-Emt1581
Old 10-15-2010, 17:40   #38
Dennis in MA
Get off my lawn

Quote:
Tell me about it! I wanted to buy Silver when it was just over $10. My broker told me it was a bad idea. I'm just glad I went against what he said and bought when it was at $16-$18! It's not like I'm going to retire on the money I made...but at least if/when our USD becomes worthless, I'll have enough to buy some stuff.

Something I realized today. I've seen people over on a silver forum getting all tickled pink that their silver is shooting up in price. And I suppose if you have a few hundred pounds of it you can live quite comfortably. But the more USD's an ounce costs, the less the USD is worth. The value of PM's pretty much remain constant. But in the grand scheme of things, screw the few extra bucks silver holders are making, I'm thinking things are about to get UGLY!

-Emt1581
Assuming you are buying stuff with silver.

Wheat - not going up in price.

TV's - not going up in price.

Automobiles - not going up in price.

If there was this crazy "inflation" thing going on, then you'd be all set.
Old 10-15-2010, 17:44   #39
Dennis in MA
Get off my lawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by VBG23 View Post
So are you just gonna mock or are you going to answer an actual question?

How can more people be withdrawing money from the market than putting into it for 23 consecutive months at the same time the market continues to rise?

Does supply and demand no longer apply?
You really don't understand how the stock market works, do you?

I'm not being sarcastic. You just don't. Take a search on Morningstar surveys of average investor returns and you might find an answer.
Old 10-15-2010, 17:45   #40
Dennis in MA
Get off my lawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by VBG23 View Post
Who said specifically the government controls the stock market?
THIS GUY!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverCity View Post
Pay attention, Dennis.

Don't believe the markets are rigged by our own government?