Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups



  
SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

 
  
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-15-2010, 17:56   #41
emt1581
Curious Member
 
emt1581's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Penn's Woods
Posts: 28,140
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis in MA View Post
Assuming you are buying stuff with silver.

Wheat - not going up in price.

TV's - not going up in price.

Automobiles - not going up in price.

If there was this crazy "inflation" thing going on, then you'd be all set.
I'm not sure I understand you there. I mean, my whole point is that, if silver is going up in price in relation to the dollar it's not a great thing unless you are sitting on a mountain of silver and are also able to stay away from any rioting/riff raff that might be happening as a result of the bad economic times.

But are you saying that if things aren't going up in price...but silver is...cash some in and buy stuff or what?

Thanks!

-Emt1581
emt1581 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2010, 18:04   #42
1 old 0311
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Planet Earth
Posts: 4,254
Quote:
Originally Posted by emt1581 View Post
When it hits $30 that's probably an indication you want to HOLD it...not dump it.

As I said before, once it gets higher and higher in relation to the dollar, that's not a good thing. I means were are about to be or are already in some serious s***.

-Emt1581

I have checked e-bay gold, and silver, prices at least daily for many years. Today silver sold a few times for $30 per ounce, and the 20 Franc Swiss Gold Coins were going for $290. Crazy prices but there is only about 20% of the sellers there usually is. Looks like those that have it are sitting tight, and those that want it will pay a premium.

Silver is being sold for 20%+ over spot, and gold at $1371, todays close, is getting close to those numbers.

Looks like a LOT of people are scared to death of Obama's "CHANGE" and are heading to the lifeboats.
1 old 0311 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2010, 18:04   #43
SilverCity
Senior Member
 
SilverCity's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: The Old West
Posts: 505
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis in MA View Post
Assuming you are buying stuff with silver.

Wheat - not going up in price.

TV's - not going up in price.

Automobiles - not going up in price.

If there was this crazy "inflation" thing going on, then you'd be all set.
FACTS trump opinions: http://www.bls.gov/news.release/ppi.nr0.htm

And we ALL know cost increases are passed on to the consumer.


SC
__________________
Instructor, Armorer, Firearms Enthusiast for over 55 years.

Last edited by SilverCity; 10-15-2010 at 18:32..
SilverCity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2010, 18:28   #44
JKDGabe
Senior Member
 
JKDGabe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 203
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis in MA View Post
If there was this crazy "inflation" thing going on, then you'd be all set.
http://www.economicpolicyjournal.com...g-nuclear.html
JKDGabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2010, 18:28   #45
schild
Senior Member
 
schild's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: Socialist Republic of Illinois
Posts: 3,827
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1 old 0311 View Post
I am glad as heck I have 387 ounces sitting in a safe deposit box. When it hits $30 I MAY dump it.
I wouldn't keep anything valuable in a safe deposit box, if the government seized gold one time doesn't mean they won't seize silver next time.
__________________
Schild

"You can ignore reality, but you can't ignore the consequences of ignoring reality." Ayn Rand

We are all outlaws in the eyes of America.
schild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2010, 18:30   #46
emt1581
Curious Member
 
emt1581's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Penn's Woods
Posts: 28,140
Quote:
Originally Posted by schild View Post
I wouldn't keep anything valuable in a safe deposit box, if the government seized gold one time doesn't mean they won't seize silver next time.
Excellent point and also the reason I will never pay for one.

-Emt1581
emt1581 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2010, 18:44   #47
JK-linux
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 3,655
So, the idea is to use silver as money to buy things in a SHTF scenario?
And, if there is a huge crisis and the banks slam the doors closed (ie: you can't get into the building) how do you get your silver out of the safety deposit box?
If things are so dire that currency has broken down completely, who would be willing to take silver -vs- gasoline or wheat or whatever as payment?
If things broke down to where currency didn't work anymore, how would silver trade in exchange for goods work? Someone would have to want your silver it to use for something else for it to be of value, and it would have to hold value in your particular area... correct?
You can cash in the silver at some point, but based on the above comments it would just be getting cashed in on worthless paper currency or notes.
I'm confused by the whole concept. I realize in history these things had value, but I'm not seeing how that translates into value in the future framed against a breakup of society, law and order.
JK-linux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2010, 18:59   #48
emt1581
Curious Member
 
emt1581's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Penn's Woods
Posts: 28,140
Quote:
Originally Posted by JK-linux View Post
So, the idea is to use silver as money to buy things in a SHTF scenario?
And, if there is a huge crisis and the banks slam the doors closed (ie: you can't get into the building) how do you get your silver out of the safety deposit box?
If things are so dire that currency has broken down completely, who would be willing to take silver -vs- gasoline or wheat or whatever as payment?
If things broke down to where currency didn't work anymore, how would silver trade in exchange for goods work? Someone would have to want your silver it to use for something else for it to be of value, and it would have to hold value in your particular area... correct?
You can cash in the silver at some point, but based on the above comments it would just be getting cashed in on worthless paper currency or notes.
I'm confused by the whole concept. I realize in history these things had value, but I'm not seeing how that translates into value in the future framed against a breakup of society, law and order.
I'll be honest, up until about a month or two ago, I was confused as well...and I figured usable/consumable goods would be far more desired than PM's. But really, PM's have been an agreed upon hold of value for thousands of years. So yes, I believe they will be a good currency compared to paper which just symbolizes value.

What still confuses me is how someone will establish an agreed upon value of the PM. The typical response is "supply and demand". But someone who's in a jam and about to die without water might pay 20oz. of gold for one bottle of water....is that even remotely a fair deal? Wouldn't the person about to die be better off just plugging the guy over charging? And wouldn't the gouger deserve what he gets? These are questions and suggestions that are often frowned upon and scoffed at by a lot of PM holders...but no one can really offer an intelligent solution around gouging.

But aside from the gouging issue PM's really are an intelligent way to do business. Think about it...it's an element. No exchange rates, no currencies to worry about losing/gaining "value", etc. It's universal.

Think about life now though...is money all you need? Hell no!! You need food/water, shelter, some money, guns/ammo, medical supplies, etc...you'll need the exact same supplies should the SHTF.

Back to your view of the future let me ask this. If something has had value for thousands of years, is valuable now, why would it be worthless in the future?

-Emt1581
emt1581 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2010, 19:33   #49
1 old 0311
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Planet Earth
Posts: 4,254
Quote:
Originally Posted by schild View Post
I wouldn't keep anything valuable in a safe deposit box, if the government seized gold one time doesn't mean they won't seize silver next time.
They did demand that AMERICAN gold coins be turned in. Coins with collector value were exempt, which is why I am hot on the 20 Franc French, Swiss, and Belgium coins. They are collectors pieces but have very little, less than 10%, over spot prices. Also the fractional coins would be easier to barter, if need be, and would slide under the radar with the new $600 limit Obama attached to his Health Care Bill.
1 old 0311 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2010, 19:36   #50
emt1581
Curious Member
 
emt1581's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Penn's Woods
Posts: 28,140
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1 old 0311 View Post
They did demand that AMERICAN gold coins be turned in. Coins with collector value were exempt, which is why I am hot on the 20 Franc French, Swiss, and Belgium coins. They are collectors pieces but have very little, less than 10%, over spot prices. Also the fractional coins would be easier to barter, if need be, and would slide under the radar with the new $600 limit Obama attached to his Health Care Bill.

So what stops them from deleting the word American in a future bill?? And at that point is the average American even following what the gov. says anymore and just handing over their life savings??

-Emt1581
emt1581 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2010, 20:25   #51
Big Bird
NRA Life Member
 
Big Bird's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Posts: 10,763
Quote:
Originally Posted by VBG23 View Post
Is this a serious question given the current midterms? If the markets tank during an election year, whatever party is in power has a tendency to lose. It isn't Reagan or Carter or Obama or Bush, it is the Democratic party or the Republican party and whichever party the buisness world thinks will be beneficial.

A rising market is not a guaranteed win, but a sinking market is a huge weight around the neck of whatever political party lays claim to the guy in office.
OK then...well I guess they Democrats really screwed the pooch this go-round because they really haven't done very well in terms of manipulating the markets.

I mean seriously? If they can do it...why not do it all the time? Why not create perpetual prosperity? Why would any political party in power EVER let something like a Recession, Market down turn, Depression EVER happen? People would gladly vote in a party that could produce perpetual prosperity. So if they control the markets it begs the question...

Exactly HOW does the government prop up the stock market? Where do all these buy orders come from? Who holds the stock? After all major shareholders in public corporations are public record?
__________________
Big Bird,

“Est Nulla Via Invia Virute”
Big Bird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2010, 20:37   #52
1 old 0311
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Planet Earth
Posts: 4,254
Quote:
Originally Posted by emt1581 View Post
So what stops them from deleting the word American in a future bill?? And at that point is the average American even following what the gov. says anymore and just handing over their life savings??

-Emt1581

Even with Bill Clinton (Ruby Ridge/Wayco/perjury) there was still a 'kind' of limit to what Presidential powers could be interpreted as. With Obama he has SAID and SHOWN there is NO limit to what he thinks his powers are limited to.

My cash, and metals, are safer in a safe deposit box, BUT if the political climate gets a bit dicy I am prepared, within minutes, to get out the shovel.
1 old 0311 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2010, 20:45   #53
emt1581
Curious Member
 
emt1581's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Penn's Woods
Posts: 28,140
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1 old 0311 View Post
Even with Bill Clinton (Ruby Ridge/Wayco/perjury) there was still a 'kind' of limit to what Presidential powers could be interpreted as. With Obama he has SAID and SHOWN there is NO limit to what he thinks his powers are limited to.

My cash, and metals, are safer in a safe deposit box, BUT if the political climate gets a bit dicy I am prepared, within minutes, to get out the shovel.
Can't the president issue executive orders for a LOT of things? I know some have time limits but in the mean time, what stops the initial order from being given?

I guess if you are prepared within maybe 5-10 minutes to go grab everything out of the box fine, but who says you'll have that long?

Personally, I think having a good secure vault at home is much safer so long as you layer your security (steel/concrete, security system, dog, guns, motion lighting, etc.). But to each his/her own.

-Emt1581
emt1581 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2010, 21:12   #54
SilverCity
Senior Member
 
SilverCity's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: The Old West
Posts: 505
Quote:
Originally Posted by emt1581 View Post
So what stops them from deleting the word American in a future bill?? And at that point is the average American even following what the gov. says anymore and just handing over their life savings??

-Emt1581
When they come for it, give them your copper and lead.


SC
__________________
Instructor, Armorer, Firearms Enthusiast for over 55 years.

Last edited by SilverCity; 10-15-2010 at 21:14..
SilverCity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2010, 21:22   #55
emt1581
Curious Member
 
emt1581's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Penn's Woods
Posts: 28,140
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverCity View Post
When they come for it, give them your copper and lead.


SC
Well yeah, but that's cutting to the chase. He threw out the whole idea of things being written on paper...

-Emt1581
emt1581 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2010, 21:56   #56
SilverCity
Senior Member
 
SilverCity's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: The Old West
Posts: 505
Quote:
Originally Posted by emt1581 View Post
Well yeah, but that's cutting to the chase. He threw out the whole idea of things being written on paper...

-Emt1581
1933 was a whole different ballgame. Gold was actually money ($20 Eagle) and the bankers could not inflate the money supply as long as the dollar was tied to something in limited supply. Much cheaper to cut the dollar loose...

BTW, few actually complied then, and I am sure Americans would never comply today.Very few (maybe 1-2%) hold bullion inside the country. Most hold it in paper form with the GLD or SLV.

The goonies are WAY more interested in approximately 3-5 TRILLION dollars currently held in IRA, 401Ks, and pension funds. In fact, we will probably see legislation enacted this year or next to confiscate ALL of the money and force people to take "govt. guaranteed" annuities in the form of U.S. treasuries in exchange. Maybe voluntary at first, then mandatory. The idea has been floated around in govt meetings for the past 2 years.

Get your money "off the grid" and out of their hands.



SC
__________________
Instructor, Armorer, Firearms Enthusiast for over 55 years.

Last edited by SilverCity; 10-15-2010 at 21:58..
SilverCity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2010, 21:58   #57
emt1581
Curious Member
 
emt1581's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Penn's Woods
Posts: 28,140
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverCity View Post
1933 was a whole different ballgame. Gold was actually money ($20 Eagle) and the bankers could not inflate the money supply as long as the dollar was tied to something in limited supply. Much cheaper to cut the dollar loose...

BTW, few actually complied then, and I am sure Americans would never comply today.Very few (maybe 1-2%) hold bullion inside the country. Most hold it in paper form with the GLD or SLV.

The goonies are WAY more interested in approximately 3-5 TRILLION dollars currently held in IRA, 401Ks, and pension funds. In fact, we will probably see legislation enacted this year or next to confiscate ALL of the money and force people to take "govt. guaranteed" annuities in the form of U.S. treasuries in exchange. Maybe voluntary at first, then mandatory.

The idea has been floated around in govt meetings for the past 2 years. Get your money "off the grid" and out of their hands.



SC
This is why I put most of my money into guns/ammo. It's a LOT harder to confiscate something that can kill you.

-Emt1581
emt1581 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2010, 22:07   #58
JK-linux
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 3,655
Quote:
Originally Posted by emt1581 View Post
I'll be honest, up until about a month or two ago, I was confused as well...and I figured usable/consumable goods would be far more desired than PM's. But really, PM's have been an agreed upon hold of value for thousands of years. So yes, I believe they will be a good currency compared to paper which just symbolizes value.

What still confuses me is how someone will establish an agreed upon value of the PM. The typical response is "supply and demand". But someone who's in a jam and about to die without water might pay 20oz. of gold for one bottle of water....is that even remotely a fair deal? Wouldn't the person about to die be better off just plugging the guy over charging? And wouldn't the gouger deserve what he gets? These are questions and suggestions that are often frowned upon and scoffed at by a lot of PM holders...but no one can really offer an intelligent solution around gouging.

But aside from the gouging issue PM's really are an intelligent way to do business. Think about it...it's an element. No exchange rates, no currencies to worry about losing/gaining "value", etc. It's universal.

Think about life now though...is money all you need? Hell no!! You need food/water, shelter, some money, guns/ammo, medical supplies, etc...you'll need the exact same supplies should the SHTF.

Back to your view of the future let me ask this. If something has had value for thousands of years, is valuable now, why would it be worthless in the future?

-Emt1581
Thanks for the info. I think I'll stick with stocking up on other things. I can't see myself selling extra food, wood or ammunition for pieces of metal, especially if there is no intrinsic use for it other than dentistry. Leads to the question of how to find a good dentist after the big one, and whether we'll just go back to pulling teeth instead of filling them. Not saying it would be worthless, just that I don't see it's worth personally. Good luck all.
JK-linux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2010, 22:14   #59
emt1581
Curious Member
 
emt1581's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Penn's Woods
Posts: 28,140
Quote:
Originally Posted by JK-linux View Post
Thanks for the info. I think I'll stick with stocking up on other things. I can't see myself selling extra food, wood or ammunition for pieces of metal, especially if there is no intrinsic use for it other than dentistry. Leads to the question of how to find a good dentist after the big one, and whether we'll just go back to pulling teeth instead of filling them. Not saying it would be worthless, just that I don't see it's worth personally. Good luck all.
You should really search my threads. Seems like you have the same questions I have/had. Just last month I did one on the dentist issue...

-Emt1581
emt1581 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2010, 22:23   #60
SilverCity
Senior Member
 
SilverCity's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: The Old West
Posts: 505
My dentist will accept gold and silver for dental work. Now if I could just find a doctor, a veterinarian, a car mechanic, grocer, etc.
__________________
Instructor, Armorer, Firearms Enthusiast for over 55 years.
SilverCity is offline   Reply With Quote

 
  
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump




All times are GMT -6. The time now is 06:53.




Homepage
FAQ
Forums
Calendar
Advertise
Gallery
GT Wiki
GT Blogs
Social Groups
Classifieds


Users Currently Online: 709
189 Members
520 Guests

Most users ever online: 2,672
Aug 11, 2014 at 2:31