Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.
Closed Thread

Old 10-05-2010, 10:52   #26
MarkCO
CLM Number 245
Charter Lifetime Member

SIG C3 review

I had been looking for a "non-Kimber" 4" 1911 for about a year and tried several, finally settling on the SIG C3. I already have a Kimber Tactical Ultra, which, with thin grips, I really like, so thus no Kimber. I wanted match quality, but total reliability. Night sights did not matter but I wanted a light weight. Why a 4", because I wanted one.

Here is the SIG link: http://www.sigsauer.com/Products/Sho...&productid=165

Here we go.

I've seen it billed as a 6+1 and a 7+1 pistol, mine came with 2 magazines which each held 7 rounds. The overall fit and finish was pretty good. There are a few gaps on the rear at the slide rail interface, but I have to realize this is not a hand fit pistol. I got the Nitron frame finish and the coating was very high quality, we will have to see what the durability is into the future. Overall, the pistol looks excellent. The lines, while not classic, are distinctive and sleek. They have slightly narrowed the slide making this the thinnest overall 1911 I now own.

The trigger was better than I expected and I don't plan to do anything to it, and I am a trigger snob. It broke clean with very little creep or overtravel. Almost perfect for a carry piece.

The grip, for me was decent. IMHO, this should have come with thin grips from the factory. The grips are rosewood pebble texture and provided a good purchase. The MSH was checkered and looks just like my FS Kimber and DW. The front strap was, for me, checkered a little too sharply, especially for the edge meeting the middle finger. 10 magazines or so would not be an issue, but 500 rounds would probably make you bleed. The slide release was larger than need be IMHO and I might change that out but the safety was thin and about perfect. I'll likely go with a set of Ergo's for carry, or maybe VZ, thin in either case. While I would like to subdue the front strap checkering, I probably wont.

Take-down was simple and I could do it with no tools. The barrel busing was not overly tight and all of the internals did appear to be the touted match quaility tool steel parts. As compared to the Kimber Ultras and Pros, WAY easier to take-down, clean and reassemble. The slide release pops in and out of the detent very nicely (avoiding those frame scratches). Internal machining and fit was very good.

The sights are Novak 3 dot night sights. To me, the rear spread of the dots, and the notch itself, are too thin. I will likely change out the rear for something with a wider notch and no illumination. I'll also have to figure out if I need a lower rear due to the next sentence...

First magazine out of the box, 25 yards, shot into a 3" group, but about 5" above the POA. I was not about adjusting sights this time out, but that seems a tad high to me. This was repeated through with 6 types of HP ammo and 3 types of ball, 200 grain and 230 grain. Running some of my low power 200 grain ball at 700 fps, I had about 25% fail to go into battery after firing. When I used normal velocity 200 and 230 grain ball, it ran 100%. The same with 200 and 230 grain JHPs. Yep, it fed HS, Nosler, Speer and Remington JHPs with not a single malfunction. I fired right at 200 rounds total. One magazine for full power 230 JHPS with 0.2 second splits on a 25 yard target printed into 7", but still about 5" above POA. I used Wilson, Metalform, CMC and SIG facotry magazines.

All in all, I am very impressed. Fortunately, my three gripes are all easily fixed. However, I think with a little careful consideration, they would have seen the benefit of a wider rear sight notch and thinner grips. When you spend $1k, you want it right, and overall, they did.

2nd image is field stripped, D & A takes like 2 minutes! 3rd image is the top of the front strap where it cut into my middle finger. 5th image is the Sig in the middle, full size custom on the left and the Kimber Ultra Tactical on the right.
.40 S&W Club #1, 1911 Club #1067
NRA Life Member and Certified Instructor
www.CarbonArms.us

Last edited by MarkCO; 01-14-2011 at 09:54..
Old 10-15-2010, 12:23   #27
Quack
Rent this space

TGO-1 vs. Trophy Match vs. Loaded pics.

Disclaimer: I'm not a professional, just a guy with a camera and guns. I reserve the right to be wrong.

Well i had the day off today (actually worked all day yesterday until 4am today) and decided to finally take some pics of the 3 different level's of guns Springfield sells. i guess i could've borrowed knedrgr's mil-spec to add to this too, but i didn't, so

I used the TGO-1 form the Custom Shop, the Trophy Match and the Loaded for this comparison. They are visually similar guns (target & FO sights, magwells, and flat triggers) but are different levels of guns that Springfield produces. This thread is just to show the differences that one is getting for the money that they are paying. I frequently post the Springfield vs. Springfield article when someone wants to know the difference between the Trophy Match, Loaded and mil-spec. I'm a visual type of guy, which also shows that i grew up in Missouri (the "Show Me" state) and thought pictures can show the details better than words.

The TGO-1 is a Custom Shop gun which less than 200 have been produced. The last one i've seen for sale was made 6/25/2010 and was number 150. It's a really tight gun and is the tightest gun that i own.
1911 Forums

The Trophy Match is "high-end" production gun. what's this mean? It receive's more attention to fitting, but not as much as a semi-custom.
1911 Forums

The Loaded is a production gun. Most people buy guns in this category. The parts are mass produced and has less attention to fitting than the other 2 groups.
1911 Forums

Last edited by Quack; 10-15-2010 at 13:02..
Old 10-15-2010, 12:30   #28
Quack
Rent this space

The outward appearance of the guns is pretty much the same at first glance.
The main difference is the TGO-1's finish and lack of FCS.

1911 Forums

from the shooter's perspective the look similar as well.
1911 Forums

1911 Forums

the TM's slide is serrated on top
1911 Forums
Old 10-15-2010, 12:37   #29
Quack
Rent this space

taking a closer look, you can see the difference in fit. you can see that the Loaded's extractor isn't flush with the back of the slide (and slightly clocked) and the slides to frame fit also vary. I should note that the Loaded was tighter when it was new, but after thousands of rounds it has loosened up a little. The Trophy Match was bought used (don't know the round count) and is slightly loose as well.

1911 Forums

1911 Forums

TGO-1
1911 Forums

Trophy Match
1911 Forums

Loaded
1911 Forums

Last edited by Quack; 10-15-2010 at 13:03..
Old 10-15-2010, 12:42   #30
Quack
Rent this space

The beavertail fitting is nice, and they are similar, but you can see that a little more care was taken with the TGO-1 with the blending at the top. These photo's where taken with the GS depressed. you can also see how the GS (where the web of your hand goes) is blended with the frame.

TGO-1
1911 Forums

Trophy Match
1911 Forums

Loaded
1911 Forums

I added a magwell to the Loaded, but the TGO-1 and Trophy Match had them as standard parts. You can see the difference in the blending and what a drop-in magwell would look like.

1911 Forums

1911 Forums

1911 Forums

Last edited by Quack; 10-15-2010 at 13:40..
Old 10-15-2010, 12:53   #31
Quack
Rent this space

Pulling the slides off, you can see the different detail's taken between each one.
I have the most rounds through the Loaded, and the wear shows.

Loaded, Trophy Match, TGO-1
1911 Forums

1911 Forums

1911 Forums

1911 Forums
Old 10-15-2010, 12:55   #32
Quack
Rent this space

An interesting note is that the Loaded didn't have the last 3 digits scribed into the barrel. I'm not sure if this is true on all the Loaded's or if it was because it was a ramped barrel.

1911 Forums

There are other little details that were on the TGO-1 such as the digits on the slide stop, bushing and even the barrel link pin.

1911 Forums

1911 Forums

The TGO-1 has a "hidden leaf cut" for the rear sight, while the other 2 didn't.

1911 Forums

1911 Forums

1911 Forums

Last edited by Quack; 10-15-2010 at 13:08..
Old 10-15-2010, 13:01   #33
Quack
Rent this space

Lastly is barrel fit. It should be no surprise that the TGO-1 locks up tight, while the TM & Loaded both have slight side to side movement when locked up.

1911 Forums

1911 Forums

1911 Forums

1911 Forums

I didn't take pics of the internals because the Loaded has been swapped and the Trophy Match has been worked on. I hope to make it to the range this weekend, but since the TM and Loaded aren't stock guns anymore it won't be a good indication of how they came from the factory.
Old 10-15-2010, 13:20   #34
Quack
Rent this space

oops... i forgot the Slide by Slide pics.

Trophy Match
Loaded

1911 Forums

1911 Forums

Trophy Match
TGO-1

1911 Forums

1911 Forums

Loaded
TGO-1

1911 Forums

1911 Forums

Hi-Res photo's can be found HERE

Last edited by Quack; 10-15-2010 at 13:22..
Old 10-16-2010, 14:25   #35
Quack
Rent this space

someone on TOS asked for pics of the "bow tie" area.

Loaded
1911 Forums

Trophy Match
1911 Forums

TGO-1
1911 Forums
Closed Thread