Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 10-16-2010, 23:46   #1
Glocknload 19

No Use For The 380?

Mas, Just wondering, do you own a 380 ? I was just curious. I know that you don't particularily care for the cartrige, but I wanted to know if you would even consider it for a possible third gun or pocket gun as a back up. Was thinking of picking up a Ruger LCP for this purpose but I don't want to just look for an excuse to buy another gun. In your experience can the S&W 340 M&P hide just about as easily as the LCP? I currently use the 340 as a back up. I know you have done reviews on the LCP but would you actually carry one even as a back up? Thanks
Glocknload 19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2010, 04:20   #2
Mas Ayoob
KoolAidAntidote

I can't do magic, and will never be able to get a J-frame as flat as an LCP. My first centerfire pistol was a .380 Beretta 1934 when I was 11, still have it along with Walther PPK, SIG P230, LCP, a couple of modern Berettas...I just don't personally trust the .380 power level. You accumulate information as you get older and keep studying and researching, and your opinions and comfort levels evolve accordingly.

A .380 beats heck out of nothing at all, and certainly .380s have saved the lives of people who likely would have died if unarmed. There are people who for various reasons have determined that a micro-size .380 is simply all they can carry and keep discreetly concealed: dress codes at work, situations where it's occupationally disastrous for them to be discovered to be armed, etc. I don't judge on this, I just share collected research and offer recommendations.

Each of us has a different balance of needs. Having found I can comfortably and effectively hide a J-frame for backup even when wearing tailored suits, I draw my own line there. We all have to find our personal balance, and "something is better than nothing."

best,
Mas
Mas Ayoob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2010, 15:28   #3
Glocknload 19

Thank you for your reply. I think I'll save the money for practice ammo for my new 340. I need to work on that "crush grip" that you frequently refer to when shooting a lightweight J frame I just have to practice with it since I have to qualify with it for carry. I'll probably just add a set of CT LG 405 grips on it. I don't understand why LEO policy is getting away from the j frame to be on the approved list of many agencies. A least that's what I have heard. Our Sherriff's department in Pinellas County, Fl. allows 380's but not 38's. Don't understand this.
Glocknload 19 is offline   Reply With Quote