SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 10-22-2010, 18:25   #1
NH Trucker
Needs coffee...

Advice for my girlfriend...

I posted this over in Women's Issues and recieved a couple of responses that I'm considering. However, with your vast knowledge and expertise, I could really use your opinion.

My girlfriend is looking for advice on a handgun that accomodates the limitations of a small/weaker hand grip as well as carpal tunnel. She's concerned that the recoil forces will inflame the carpal tunnel so much she can't fire off a magazine, or can only take a shot or two in a longer period of time. She has handled my Glock 23 and says that it's grip size is a little too big for her to get a comfortable grip on. Any recommendations on pistols and caliber combinations that would help her be comfortable with shooting and provide her with something effecive enough for concealed carry?

Thank you in advance
Old 10-22-2010, 19:20   #2
Mas Ayoob
KoolAidAntidote

Trucker, if the Glock is too big for her to wrap her hand around, have her check out the slim-gripped Kahr K9 or the slightly smaller MK9. She'll be able to get more flesh and bone wrapped around the gripframe. Recoil is mild, and the trigger pull is long but relatively light.

If she's comfortable and competent with a cocked and locked single action, DEFINITELY check out the Springfield Armory EMP, a light subcompact 1911 9mm. Recoil is extremely mild. By using the heel of her support hand to cock the hammer and relieve mainspring pressure, she should find the slide easy to operate. And it fits a small hand superbly. Reliability is top notch.

I understand why you appreciate the .40 S&W round your G23 is chambered for, but with good ammo, 9mm will definitely "get you through the night."

Best of luck to you both,
Mas
Mas Ayoob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2010, 21:55   #3
NH Trucker
Needs coffee...

Thank you for your quick reply and your reccomendations. I hadn't heard too much about the Kahrs other than they being suited well for smaller hands, and I'm glad to hear that the smaller Springfield 1911's chambered for 9mm are reliable too. I've had her handle my Glock 23 because it's the smallest framed pistol that I have, as compared to my Glock 21sf that I always carry, and the 23 is kind of the "spare" that I have here at the house incase she needs it while I'm at work. I keep it loaded with 165 grain Speer Gold Dots.

I've wanted her to find something that she was comfortable with carrying and practice at the range and would be effective for SD, mostly because her job has her dealing with the severely mentally deficient and the criminally insane, and unfortunately some of these people carry grudges when they get released and I am worried about her safety at times. We also don't live in the greatest neighborhood. I'm not always by her side, so I'd like to make sure that she's able to fend for herself if the unfortunate instance occurs and it's ablsolutely needed.

She asked me about CZ earlier, but I didn't have any information about them. I think that between the Kahr and the 1911 though she'll find something that she likes. The only thing with the 1911 is that I told her that if she gets one, I get one too. I think that's fair.

Again, many thanks! I hope to one day be able to take one (or more) of your classes too!