Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 11-06-2010, 15:27   #141
emt1581
Curious Member

Personally, I keep kicking myself for stocking up on a tons of guns/ammo instead of bullion. But then again, I'm pretty confident that guns/ammo/food/meds/and other essentials will be worth close to their weight in when the economy collapses and parts of society turn on the rest of us.

-Emt1581
emt1581 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2010, 16:06   #142
SHOOTR13
G30SF Owner

My 2 cents...

When the SHTF, the people who own gold / silver / diamonds / Paste your Favorite here...will just have lumps of refined ore / shiny trickets.

Put your money into Water, Food, Guns and Ammo, and Shelter...you will be able to survive, protect what you have and or take what you need.

Just think, after the dust settles and you want to trade, barter, or even buy something you absolutely need, whadda ya gonna do with that gold bar, silver coin, diamond, whatever current currency when the item you're buying is not worth one hundreth or even a tenth of whatever you have to pay with...got change for a diamond ring, gold bar ? Come on...!!
SHOOTR13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2010, 16:07   #143
emt1581
Curious Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GUNNUTZ13 View Post
When the SHTF, the people who own gold / silver / diamonds / Paste your Favorite here...will just have lumps of refined ore / shiny trickets.

Put your money into Water, Food, Guns and Ammo, and Shelter...you will be able to survive, protect what you have and or take what you need.

Just think, after the dust settles and you want to trade, barter, or even buy something you absolutely need, whadda ya gonna do with that gold bar, silver coin, diamond, whatever current currency when the item you're buying is not worth one hundreth or even a tenth of whatever you have to pay with...got change for a diamond ring, gold bar ? Come on...!!
You might want to edit out that "take what you need part"...or put on a flame suit.

-Emt1581
Old 11-06-2010, 16:21   #144
1 old 0311

Quote:

THIS is the thinking of someone who wasn't smart enough to jump on the band wagon LONG ago. Oh well. Someone ALWAYS has to be left behind.
1 old 0311 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2010, 16:52   #145
SilverCity

Quote:

What if you already have LOADS of that essential stuff and need someplace to put the rest of your wealth? What will you use once the SHTF has subsided and things return to relative calm, but all fiat currencies are wiped out? Ignore 5,000 years of history? Good luck.

SC

Last edited by SilverCity; 11-06-2010 at 18:58..
SilverCity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2010, 17:48   #146
UneasyRider
C.D.B.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverCity View Post
What if you already have LOADS of that essential stuff already and need someplace to put the rest of your wealth. What will you use once the SHTF has subsided and things return relative calm, but all fiat currencies are wiped out? Ignore 5,000 years of history? Good luck.
I agree with you. Balance is always important. My wife and I were just talking about how lucky we are with a good pension for when we retire, a good savings in IRA's etc, and good jobs to provide for us.

At the same time we have prepared for the future with preps and PM's. We also have an exercise program, diet and have been seeing to our medical needs in advance. Balance.

We are not wealthy by anyones definition but we feel that we have hedged our bets in life by keeping a good balance. Some PM's make really good sense, especially lately, and I have food, water, shelter and defense covered so why not? It's just one more prep.

"Both oligarch and tyrant mistrust the people, and therefore deprive them of arms." - Aristotle,
UneasyRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2010, 17:58   #147
1 old 0311

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverCity View Post
What if you already have LOADS of that essential stuff already and need someplace to put the rest of your wealth. What will you use once the SHTF has subsided and things return relative calm, but all fiat currencies are wiped out? Ignore 5,000 years of history? Good luck.

E-X-A-C-T-L-Y There are also different degrees of SHTF. We won't go from the most powerful country with the strongest dollar to Mad Max overnight. With gold/silver you can opt out anytime and sell for a profit as needed.
Old 11-06-2010, 18:29   #148
BORNGEARHEAD

Let's say that the world goes to a "global currency". What will gold and silver be worth? Think that balloon will pop?
BORNGEARHEAD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2010, 18:34   #149
Warp
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Quote:
Originally Posted by BORNGEARHEAD View Post
Let's say that the world goes to a "global currency". What will gold and silver be worth? Think that balloon will pop?
That's, uh, a pretty big "let's say". lol

And it will probably be worth what it is worth now, more or less, in terms of buying power.

I HIGHLY recommend Google Chrome and Adblock to all world wide web users. (I would have left GT a long time ago without these extensions!)

Last edited by Warp; 11-06-2010 at 18:34..
Warp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2010, 18:39   #150
1 old 0311

Quote:
Originally Posted by BORNGEARHEAD View Post
Well since gold is more popular in China, India, and most of the Third World than it is here it MAY rise further. The Euro was a testing ground for a Global Currency and more than a few Countries are having second thought about that decision.
Old 11-08-2010, 11:54   #151
Don H

Gold $1403.60

Silver $27.46

Don H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2010, 13:30   #152
SilverCity

Freakin' runaway freight train...

Silver will hit $30 by Friday at this rate

And how's that gold short working for ya?

SC

Last edited by SilverCity; 11-08-2010 at 13:33..
SilverCity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2010, 13:34   #153
1 old 0311

Hear that? I don't either. What happened to the 'experts' who said gold/silver was a FOOLISH investment? Pretty quiet lately ain't they?
Old 11-08-2010, 14:25   #154
b18turboef

$27.68 as of now..
Old 11-08-2010, 14:38   #155
cowboy1964

While cleaning up the house last night I came across a receipt from Oct 2009 for 10 1964 Kennedy halves for $52. Those would go for about $100 today.

AT $27.64 one Kennedy half is worth exactly $10.

Last edited by cowboy1964; 11-08-2010 at 14:40..
cowboy1964 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2010, 14:47   #156
APD
Trunk Monkey

I keep hearing the price of silver will fall.....as I watch it rise over the last 5 months.

I bought some at 15-16 bucks and thought THAT was pretty high. Guess I was wrong.

"Hope is not a strategy"
-John C. Maxwell
APD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2010, 16:32   #157
emt1581
Curious Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by blown03' View Post
Gold $1403.60

Silver $27.46

Don't make the mistake of being happy about this!! This is NOT a good thing!

It's an indication of the crisis which will be getting MUCH worse.

-Emt1581
Old 11-08-2010, 16:59   #158
Don H

Quote:
Originally Posted by emt1581 View Post
Don't make the mistake of being happy about this!! This is NOT a good thing!

It's an indication of the crisis which will be getting MUCH worse.

-Emt1581

Do I want the economy to melt down, (no) of course I don't! I do however live on a little planet called reality, saw this coming years ago and I've been preparing for it. Those who have not prepared are going to get hosed in the end.

I purchased most of my silver when it was around $6 an ounce, and gold when it was around $400 and ounce. Am I happy where the prices currently are and where they'll be in the future? Damn right I am!!!!
Old 11-08-2010, 17:08   #159
emt1581
Curious Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by blown03' View Post
Do I want the economy to melt down, (no) of course I don't! I do however live on a little planet called reality, saw this coming years ago and I've been preparing for it. Those who have not prepared are going to get hosed in the end.

I purchased most of my silver when it was around $6 an ounce, and gold when it was around $400 and ounce. Am I happy where the prices currently are and where they'll be in the future? Damn right I am!!!!
So you are 100% off the grid then?

-Emt1581
Old 11-08-2010, 17:12   #160
Don H

Quote:
Originally Posted by emt1581 View Post
So you are 100% off the grid then?

-Emt1581
My cabin is, can get there in little over an hour if need be.