Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Closed Thread

Old 11-11-2010, 16:19   #41
awq134

Send a message via ICQ to awq134 Send a message via AIM to awq134 Send a message via MSN to awq134 Send a message via Yahoo to awq134
Quote:
Originally Posted by -gunut- View Post
You just have to get comfortable with it. Carry without one in the pipe for a while to get used to it. Notice if the trigger is ever depressed. With any decent holster you will be fine.
this is what i did... made sure the chamber was empty with the trigger in the forward position and a full magazine. I carried it like this for 2 weeks and checked every night to see if the trigger had moved, and as i was hoping, i didnt' budge!

Old 11-11-2010, 17:05   #42
KenB22

I'll take the heat for trying to make the opposite argument. I carry in condition 3. Early on, I carried with one in the pipe since I didn't want to carry a "brick." It worked fine. As I carried more and more I changed my mind. I have to wear dress pants to work that fit and I often go to many places during a day that do not allow me to carry inside. I found myself holstering and unholstering sometimes 3-4-5 times per day. I am a criminal attorney. I have to dress for work. I go into bad neighborhoods where some people get nervous when they see guns. I meet with prosecutors who get nervous when they see people with guns. I go into office buildings (not posted) where people get nervous when they see guns. Its my reality. I have a G19 at home by the nightstand, not in a holster, that is in condition 3 because it's the only way my wife will allow it in the house. She is not comfortable any other way. I'll leave the possible argument that putting a nightstand gun in a holster or case or safe just loses precious seconds over my setup for another day.

If I carry at all, I have to carry IWB in a pair of pants that fit. My gun is covered by a shirt that must also completely cover the gun. I must tuck my shirt in. Wearing a hard covered holster made the gun print too much. Carrying in a holster that had a retention strap was just one more thing to think about when practicing drawing. I never worried about my gun going off when I sat at a desk or drove a car or anything like that. After much carrying my focus narrowed to drawing in an emergency. I can't carry OWB or with the gun exposed at all. To get at my gun, I have to first untuck my shirt. That's the reality. I found during extensive practice at an outdoor range over many sessions that I was much faster untucking and ripping the gun out of my holster and racking the slide Israeli style than I was with one in the pipe. Trying to imagine how I might feel and react in an emergency, I simply slowed down too much worrying about shooting myself with a round chambered and my shirt tucked in. That's the moment that was of concern to me when deciding which was more advantageous TO ME. With my daytime setup requirement and my nightstand setup, it made more sense TO ME to carry in condition 3. Finding I was faster when I really pushed myself drawing from a holster had the added benefit of making my training consistent for both home and outdoor scenario's.

I also try and practice situational awareness. If I'm in an area in my car that I'm not comfortable, I'll chamber a round and put my G19 in the center console. If its after work and I can wear jeans and carry OWB with a sweatshirt over it, I may chamber a round but I'd hope my training would take over and I'd still rack the slide before shooting. I haven't fired a magazine in 3 years where I didn't start the process by racking the slide unless I'm practicing shooting multiple mags in a row. I'm aware that there MAY be a circumstance where having to rack the slide is a disadvantage but FOR ME Condition 3 was the best way to go. I use snap caps and practice racking the slide using my belt or shoe in case I only have one arm free. I have tried both methods and for me, condition 3 was the way to go.
Old 11-11-2010, 17:18   #43
Melissa5

I've carried in a Stow-n-go for the past year without any mishaps. No worries.
John 3:16
Old 11-11-2010, 17:30   #44
Jim S.

I would like to say that if it makes you nervous to carry a Glock with one in the chamber then it would be silly for you to do so.
You have to be comfortable carrying a weapon. Otherwise you will stop carrying it.
Glocks are probably one of the safest guns to carry with one in the chamber.
Learn about the Glock safe action and carry it unchambered until you are confident in it.
Getting a gun with a manual safety probably won't make you feel any safer.
Glocks do not fire themselves.
people who accidently fire a Glock more than likely pulled the trigger in some way.
When you go to the range and shoot your Glock, feel how far the trigger has to travel to make it shoot.
Feel how hard you have to pull on that trigger.
Learn your gun and gain the confidence to carry it with a round in the chamber.
Until then carry it unchambered.
Just be sure you know how to rack a round in there quickly and confidently because it is an extra step that is not considered a good thing in a very bad situation.

Last edited by Jim S.; 11-11-2010 at 17:31..
Old 11-11-2010, 17:39   #45
ray glock

It is all about knowing your firearm, how to use it and self-discipline. You might call it ...Gun Control.
Old 11-11-2010, 18:34   #46
fmfdocglock

Time

For a couple of months after I got my G30 I carried without a round chambered. I was trained in the Israeli draw when I was in the service.

I gradually started carrying with one in the chamber, and now that is how I carry.

Getting a first rate holster like the Crossbreed Supertuck that completely covered the trigger and stayed in place definitely helped.

Still doesn't change the fact that you have to pay attention the trigger doesn't get caught on anything.
Old 11-11-2010, 18:49   #47
robbyg1

Maybe this will help you make a decision

[URL]http://www.youtube.com/user/limalife#p/u[/URL]
Old 11-11-2010, 19:18   #48
SCC
Member Me

Send a message via Skype™ to SCC
Quote:
Originally Posted by hamster View Post
I once saw a post either here or on another forum where a police officer shot himself in the leg because the drawstring from his pants or windbreaker somehow found its way into this trigger-guard upon re-holstering. It is most definitely something to look out for and do EXTRA slow.
I posted them on here

Last edited by SCC; 11-11-2010 at 19:37..
Old 11-11-2010, 19:22   #49
powder86
SHOOT SAFE!

Quote:
Originally Posted by danbaum View Post
I have been a revolver guy my whole life, and just switched to a Glock 19 after getting two days of excellent training and realizing I could shoot the Glock better (to say nothing of more copiously) than my old Detective Special. I have a CCW and am carrying the Glock in a Galco Stow-n-Go IWB holster. Here's my situation: Carrying the pistol with a round in the chamber freaks me out. I worry that my flesh pushing against the soft holster will somehow depress that little trigger safety and nudge the trigger back. I find myself walking around with my hips thrust foward, flinching away from the gun. Actually, I only did that for about ten minutes before retreating to a men's room, unchambering the round, and putting the gun back in its holster with a full mag but empty chamber. I could carry Israeli style, I suppose, and draw-and-rack if it comes to that, but I just saw a training video in which a woman carrying Israeli style would have been killed by a knife had the attack been real. I would like to carry at the ready, but doing so really gives me the heebie-jeebies. Am I being silly? Do other people carry Glocks in IWB holsters with chambered rounds? Is it just something one has to get used to? If anybody could advise me, I'd be grateful.
yes you're being silly. that trigger will not go off without you putting your finger on it and pulling it. i carry a 19 in that same holster. it's not gonna go bang without you pulling the trigger. also, most of the folks i know that cc a glock, carry IWB with one in the chamber.

Last edited by powder86; 11-11-2010 at 19:29..
Old 11-11-2010, 19:31   #50
pacountryboy

The idea of no "safety" on glocks is the reason I didn't buy one first. Started with a SR9 with the manual thumb safety. Carried it one in the chamber and safe on. I bought a LCP and to ease my mind with it, I carried the SR9 without one in the chamber and and safety off. After I realized that the trigger wasn't being pulled(by clothing or anything catching it) until I pulled it, I carried my LCP, then shortly after bought my glock. Now it's always one in the chamber. Try what people have been telling you and just watch your trigger at the end of the day. Soon that feeling of uncertainty will pass.

Country

Last edited by pacountryboy; 11-11-2010 at 23:44..
Old 11-12-2010, 09:08   #51
danbaum

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonnytoo View Post
Let's make it simpler. Do it at home. No rounds in the gun at all. Just draw the slide back to make sure it's cocked with the trigger forward. Then stick it in your holster and try to "click" the trigger.

Sonnytoo
This is what i tried, and you're right; I couldn't make the firing pin fall. I massaged the outside of the holster in every conceivable way, and never tripped the trigger. Thank you.
Old 11-12-2010, 09:21   #52
Warp
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

<--Always chambered for on my person carry.

I HIGHLY recommend Google Chrome and Adblock to all world wide web users. (I would have left GT a long time ago without these extensions!)
Old 11-12-2010, 11:25   #53
diablo_svr

I carried unchambered when I first started carrying (G19 BTW) and nothing ever caused the triggered to be accidentally pulled. Also, since it wasn't chambered, I was never cautious in any way when I holstered it or any activity that I performed while it was holstered.

Then one day I just racked that puppy and have been carrying one in the pipe ever since.

Personally I think if you have any doubts, you should just carry unchambered until you prove to yourself that it's safe. At least for me, there was no other option. There's not a person in the world that would have changed my mind into carrying chambered from day one...Lack of my experience/confidence.
Old 11-12-2010, 11:51   #54
Warp
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Quote:
Originally Posted by diablo_svr View Post
I carried unchambered when I first started carrying (G19 BTW) and nothing ever caused the triggered to be accidentally pulled. Also, since it wasn't chambered, I was never cautious in any way when I holstered it or any activity that I performed while it was holstered.

Then one day I just racked that puppy and have been carrying one in the pipe ever since.

Personally I think if you have any doubts, you should just carry unchambered until you prove to yourself that it's safe. At least for me, there was no other option. There's not a person in the world that would have changed my mind into carrying chambered from day one...Lack of my experience/confidence.
This violates Rule #1.

I HIGHLY recommend Google Chrome and Adblock to all world wide web users. (I would have left GT a long time ago without these extensions!)
Old 11-12-2010, 12:06   #55
hamster
NRA Life Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoNxMeMpHiS View Post
It's called the 'Search" button.
Wow. This one went off the rails fairly quickly. The OP's question was about how safe a soft-sided holster is coupled with a Glock trigger design.

I think asking if a particular type of holster is safe enough with this particular weapon is a good question. Many folks dragging out tired old mantras of "you might as well carry a hammer" really don't add to the conversation.

The question was NOT about the merits of carrying chambered.
Carry Issues

Last edited by hamster; 11-12-2010 at 12:11..
Old 11-12-2010, 12:34   #56
mr.z28
learning...

yes...wouldnt carry any other way...
Sub Club #525

Quote:
Don't be embarassed, we all had to start somewhere.
Old 11-12-2010, 13:21   #57
David Armstrong

Quote:
Originally Posted by danbaum View Post
I have been a revolver guy my whole life, and just switched to a Glock 19 after getting two days of excellent training and realizing I could shoot the Glock better (to say nothing of more copiously) than my old Detective Special.
Wise man. Allow me to take that miserable old junk of a Dick Special off your hands. I'd even be willing to give you a little money for it, since I feel so sorry about you carrying it all these years.
Quote:
I could carry Israeli style, I suppose, and draw-and-rack if it comes to that, but I just saw a training video in which a woman carrying Israeli style would have been killed by a knife had the attack been real.
Most training videos like that are designed that way. In reality, attacks where the chamber condition would matter are so rare as to be nearly non-existent.
Quote:
I would like to carry at the ready, but doing so really gives me the heebie-jeebies. Am I being silly? Do other people carry Glocks in IWB holsters with chambered rounds? Is it just something one has to get used to? If anybody could advise me, I'd be grateful.
No, you are not being silly. If yo are uncomfortable with C1, go to C3. There really doesn't seem to be much difference between the two in real life. There are advantages and disadvantages to each, and you should decide which are important to you. I don't think you need to worry about the Glock firing in your holster, but if you are uncomfortable you really don't give up much, if anything, by going to chamber empty carry. As for who carries what, it varies. Lots of folks carry chamber loaded, lots of folks carry chamber empty.
All that nonsense about carrrying C3 means you might as well carry a club, or a brick, or you'll never be able to sue it in time, and assorted silliness plays well on the internet, but reality is that C3 was the preferred mode of carry for autoloaders for a long time in most places, and it worked out just fine. Nothing has happened to change that. If C3 makes you comfortable, carry C3 and go on about your day with the knowledge that you are just as well equipped for trouble as the next guy.

Last edited by David Armstrong; 11-12-2010 at 13:29..
Old 11-12-2010, 14:10   #58
Warp
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Armstrong View Post
but reality is that C3 was the preferred mode of carry for autoloaders for a long time in most places
And the reason for this was...?

Old 11-12-2010, 14:23   #59
David Armstrong

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warp View Post
And the reason for this was...?
Different times, different places, different reasons. Shanghai it was limited training time and resources. Israel it was commonality of training across mulltiple platforms. SAS, from what I've been told, was the safety on their Hi-Powers was tough to access. Don't know why the U.S. military did it or the Texas Rangers did it with the 1911, but I suspect it was because that was the way everybody had always done it and the didn't see any need to change what worked. I've got varying reasons myself. I'm fairly knowledgeable, but to expect me to know why each place or person reasoned a particular manner at various times all over the world is a little much, wouldn't you agree? I think the main point is that under a variety of circumstances C3 was tested, accepted, and found to work quite well over an extensive time frame.

Last edited by David Armstrong; 11-12-2010 at 14:26..
Old 11-12-2010, 18:58   #60
matt c

Quote:
Originally Posted by robbyg1 View Post
good video....unfortunately if she had her pistol under a tucked shirt she would have been dead as well. Also...this is a good reason to learn proper withdrawal and side to side footwork. Her footwork sucks(as do most folks).

Last edited by matt c; 11-12-2010 at 18:58..

Closed Thread

Tags
chambered, glock 19, israeli, iwb