Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 06-02-2010, 17:33   #1
DRG20

Hard chrome refinishing?

If you have your slide refinished with hard chrome, will you still get holster wear?
DRG20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2010, 14:51   #2
RobarGuns
GT Sponsor

Hard chrome (as the name implies) is very hard. As such, it will hold up quite well to holster wear but will show some shiney spots on the edges, etc., over time.
RobarGuns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2010, 23:39   #3
Glock 17L
*GLOCKAHOLIC*

I like the looks of your NP3 Plus finish on that Model 36 S&W on your website..
If/When I even stray to a S&W Snubbie that has the sprayed on finish It'll be coming to you for the NP3 Plus Finish..
How well does this finish hold up on Aluminum?? Airweight S&W Revolver.. Stainless?
I saw a Beretta on your Site & It looks very good.. Even WET!!

What different surface preparations can be done to the metal before the plating??
Glass Bead, Brushed, Polished etc..
Thanks for posting here too!!
Gary/Hk
Glock 17L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2010, 10:50   #4
RobarGuns
GT Sponsor

Gary,

It's our pleasure to help out and share some knowledge with the Glocktalk community! That 3" model 36 actually belongs to the brother of one of our employees, I thought it would make for a good picture after we plated it

NP3 works great on aluminum and stainless, and the S&W AirWeight J frames in particular really benefit from the protection & lubricity it provides. Metal being prepared for NP3 will get a sand and/or bead blast depending on the material, and NP3 always comes out the same dark silver satin appearance.

If you want to send one in soon we are running a special for the month of June on NP3, NP3 PLUS & Roguard refinishing - details are on our web site: http://www.robarguns.com/specials.htm
Old 06-11-2010, 15:04   #5
RMTactical
CLM Number
www.AR15pro.net

Electroless nickle and hard chrome.

Due to inflation, my $.02 no longer matters.
RMTactical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2010, 08:22   #6
waltosha

Hi I have a glock 19 that i would like to have the slide done in a stainless steel type finish but i dont know where to send it and on some of the sights i have seen they what you to strip the slide well my problem is 1 i dont know what there talking about for sure on stripping the slide and 2nd im afraid that if i do it myself ill mess something up. what i would like to do is take the barrel out of the slide then send the slide to you and have you put on a stainless or a dull stainless finish and then send it back to me put together and ready to go back together i know that it will cost extra and i dont mind paying it i just dont wont to pay alot please help tell me how much it will cost anb where to send it thanks
waltosha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2010, 15:42   #7
RobarGuns
GT Sponsor

waltosha,

First, just so we're all on the same page, stainless steel is an alloy, not a coating so it is not possible to refinish your Glock slide with stainless. Now, a plating that looks similar to stainless is a different story. Our NP3 is similar in appearance to stainless steel, a shade or two darker but similar.

We do all the preparation work, disassembly and reassembly. Just take the slide off the frame and send it in, we can plate it with NP3 for $120.00. The address, etc., is on our website: www.robarguns.com
Old 06-18-2010, 18:25   #8
Out West

Robar,

You ever apply NP3 to a PA 63? I know, it's not an expensive gun. On the other hand, mine shoots great: terrifically accurate and reliable. Currently it's sporting a very nice blue finish, but the more I holster it, the more the blue is wearing. I carry this gun a lot and even though it's not an expensive piece, when I send the slide for refinishing I want to know that the company has experience with this model. Thanks,

Out
West
Old 06-19-2010, 08:35   #9
AZ_Rebel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Out West
NP3 to a PA 63... when I send the slide for refinishing
I suggest you get the entire gun done in NP3... not just the slide. I saw an FEG done like that and it looked terrific.
AZ_Rebel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2010, 23:22   #10
glockmutt

Send a message via AIM to glockmutt Send a message via Yahoo to glockmutt
Had my G23 done by Lone Wolf a few years ago. Not sure if they still offer the service. Work was good, price and turnaround time were exceptional. No complaints at all. I got the gun used and it had some wear so this was a great way to clean it up as my primary concealed carry piece.
GATE Gun Refinishing Forum
14 yrs Deputy Sheriff
8 yrs Bartender
glockmutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2010, 16:26   #11
leatherman

the 23 looks good,i sent my 27 to ryg to have it hardchromed. if it looks like that i will be pleased
leatherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2010, 15:11   #12
Fellix369

Quote:
Originally Posted by waltosha View Post
Hi I have a glock 19 that i would like to have the slide done in a stainless steel type finish but i dont know where to send it and on some of the sights i have seen they what you to strip the slide well my problem is 1 i dont know what there talking about for sure on stripping the slide and 2nd im afraid that if i do it myself ill mess something up. what i would like to do is take the barrel out of the slide then send the slide to you and have you put on a stainless or a dull stainless finish and then send it back to me put together and ready to go back together i know that it will cost extra and i dont mind paying it i just dont wont to pay alot please help tell me how much it will cost anb where to send it thanks

Here is my G23 with Metalife(hard chrome) finish on the slide. The job was done in 3 weeks and I'm very pleased with the result.

Last edited by Fellix369; 01-15-2011 at 11:55..
Fellix369 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2010, 18:52   #13
.45 Combat

Np3

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZ_Rebel View Post
I suggest you get the entire gun done in NP3... not just the slide. I saw an FEG done like that and it looked terrific.
I am wanting to re-do my Les Baer Super Tac. It has a 1st generation Baer coat. I'm thinking about hardchrome, and going with a two tone look, maybe.

Now, I also would like trying something in NP3, how would either finish compare. The one thing I've heard about NP3 it's very slick, versus going with Hardchrome.

I'm thinking the 1911 maybe harder to grip with NP3, instead of with Hardchrome. Is this true or not?
.45 Combat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2010, 16:32   #14
fla2760

Would it be possible to hard chrome the cylinder on my SW 442?