Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 12-13-2010, 21:46   #1
BayouGlocker

Enlisting in USAF, Any Advice?

I know I'm a little late to the party, but at almost 23 years of age, I've decided to enlist in the AF. Going through some things trying to get a waiver, since I was diagnosed with childhood asthma. I ran track and cross country in high school, so hopefully this will be cleared up.....

I'm very interested in Security Forces, but open to other jobs as well.

Anyways, as a (hopeful) recruit, any advice?

To every man and woman who has served this great country and protected my freedom, thank you and God bless you.
BayouGlocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2010, 15:47   #2
trdvet

Congrats and you picked well. 3 years Army here.

I would pick a technical job so when it comes time to get out of the military I could have a skill that transfers to the civilian world and hopefully one that pays well.
Disclaimer: The opinions given DO NOT reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employing agency. By viewing this post you agree to indemnify myself and my employing agency and hold them harmless from all claims and damages.

Last edited by trdvet; 12-14-2010 at 15:48..
trdvet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2010, 16:36   #3
pennlineman

Quote:
Originally Posted by trdvet View Post
Congrats and you picked well. 3 years Army here.

I would pick a technical job so when it comes time to get out of the military I could have a skill that transfers to the civilian world and hopefully one that pays well.

I agree. I was combat arms. It was fun but didn't do much for me when I got out. I had no interest in being in law enforcement. There are some high tech jobs in there, let them train you and you'll be set for life.

Good luck with your pursuit.

Last edited by pennlineman; 12-14-2010 at 16:37..
pennlineman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2010, 16:57   #4
MrMurphy
Lifetime Membership

I was Security Forces. Most of you training will NOT cross over and most of the copstuff they teach you in the academy you will never (unless you make sergeant.....maybe) have a chance to do.

If you need info, PM me. I will tell you the non BS version and it's recent (I got out in Dec 2008, i have guys working in the academy now who were troops of mine who are now instructors).
"And Shepherds we shall be. For thee, my Lord for thee. Power hath descended forth from thy hand, that our feet may swiftly carry out thy command. So we shall flow a river forth to thee and teeming with souls shall it ever be. In nomine Patris, et fili, et Spiritus Sancti. Amen."
MrMurphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2010, 18:30   #5
AZ Husker

Isn't Security Forces guarding a missal silo in South Dakota at -35 degrees?

Last edited by AZ Husker; 12-14-2010 at 18:30..
AZ Husker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2010, 18:35   #6
pennlineman

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZ Husker View Post
Isn't Security Forces guarding a missal silo in South Dakota at -35 degrees?
That or a B-52, Same weather.
pennlineman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2010, 21:48   #7
Jolly_Giant

I just got out of the Air Force. I would recommend a flying job. You are enlisting so that would be: A Linguist, Loadmaster, boom operator or gunner. Take it from someone who knows. If you are going to be in the Air Force, you want to be a flyer.
Old 12-15-2010, 23:32   #8
bluelineman
Infidel كافر

Great posts above. Also remember, unless it's in writing, it's not guaranteed.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

"Why is it that on June 4th 1967 I was a Jordanian and overnight I became a Palestinian?" - Walid Shoebat, former PLO Terrorist
كافر Infidel لقد كان محمد شاذ جنسيا
bluelineman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2010, 08:36   #9
Ralff

How smart are you? If you're really nerdy you can try for 9S, but you have to like algebra, calculus, chemistry, physics and geology. Bonus points for interests in D&D and World of Warcraft.
Ralff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2010, 11:20   #10
8th SPS USAF

Usaf

I was in LE from 1971/1974 Loved it. Worked as PD officer for 3 years
after that. NRA trainer and help train local PD's. I would guess that things
have changed alot since then. But you get the best of most things,
chow, rooms,etc. Good luck

8th
8th SPS USAF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2010, 11:26   #11
JBnTX
JB in Tx

Quote:
Originally Posted by BayouGlocker View Post

....I'm very interested in Security Forces....

DON'T DO IT!!!
Not Security Forces, Hell No, No Way!!!

...And I know what I'm talking about because I spent 21 years in the USAF
as a Security Policeman (1971-1992). I retired a Master Sergeant in 1992.

Security Forces (as it's now called) is nothing more than a plain old security
guard job. The only difference between it and a civilian security guard job is
what you're guarding. Nuclear weapons versus some warehouse somewhere.

Where will your Security Forces training get you a job after you leave the AF?
You guessed it! A security guard job. Think about it!

Don't get me wrong. I loved the job, but it's not for everyone. Hell, it's not
for 95% of most people. I liked it because I have a tremendous amount of patience,
don't mind boredom, I like guns, the outdoors and I like being alone.

Does that describe you?

Unless you like standing all alone out in the freezing rain or the scorching hot sun
for hours at a time, stay away from security forces.

As previously stated, get a specific job guarantee in writing before you sign anything.
Security Foces is the largest enlisted career field and chances are that's where you'll end up
if you don't get a specific job guarantee in writing before you join.

Recruiters are always pressured to fill SF job slots because the USAF always needs them due
to the high turnover rate. They will stick your ass there in a heartbeat.

Please don't misunderstand my rant. I loved every minute of every day while
I was a Security Policeman, but I saw many, many, many unhappy people in that job.

Last edited by JBnTX; 12-16-2010 at 13:55..
JBnTX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2010, 13:37   #12
MrMurphy
Lifetime Membership

Exactly.

If you know what you're getting into, not a problem. Believe the recruiter BS that you'll be rolling in a Crown Vic with an M9 chasing parked cars? Yeah..........sure.

I spent my time sitting in a Humvee with a machine gun waiting for the worst to happen. It never quite did, though we had many interesting times. Nowdays, SF=deployment. Whatever other job you have is irrelevant, you WILL deploy. Repeatedly. Since that was what i was after i had no problem with it, except they only sent me to Al Udeid (vacation spot)......whatever, it was better than no deployment.

If you know how to play the system you can get what you want. Go in blind? Yeah, you'll be guarding silos in the northern tier.
"And Shepherds we shall be. For thee, my Lord for thee. Power hath descended forth from thy hand, that our feet may swiftly carry out thy command. So we shall flow a river forth to thee and teeming with souls shall it ever be. In nomine Patris, et fili, et Spiritus Sancti. Amen."
Old 12-18-2010, 12:48   #13
bluelineman
Infidel كافر

Funny you guys should mention security forces. Back in the day when I was in 7 level school, out class leader was a MSgt cross-trainee. He knew exactly how many steps it took to go around a B-52. BTW, I forget the number, but it was a lot.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

"Why is it that on June 4th 1967 I was a Jordanian and overnight I became a Palestinian?" - Walid Shoebat, former PLO Terrorist
Old 12-21-2010, 18:53   #14
Mwildt

23? I went through basic at 27, it wasn't bad.

I'm 2T2X1 - air transportation, in the reserves. Mindless job and there really isn't much of a future outside of UPS, FedEx or working for an airline. I joined for the GI Bill mainly, so that's not a concern for me.

We had a guy that F'd up and told a doctor he had asthma as a child when he went to sick call in basic. A few days later he was packing his bags and heading home. Hope you can get your waiver.

I wish I would have gone active out of high school, but that's long since passed. Listen to what others have said here. I've met several former load masters and a handful of linguists. All of them spoke highly of their former career. The former security force members I've met echo what has been said here as well. A few loved it while most could not wait to cross train.

If you have any questions about basic let me know. It's still fairly fresh in my mind and I went through the 8.5 weeks opposed to the 6.5 weeks.
Mwildt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2010, 23:30   #15
Rocknropes

Considering where you are located, have you been in Barksdale yet?
Rocknropes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2010, 23:30   #16
bluelineman
Infidel كافر

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mwildt View Post
23? I went through basic at 27, it wasn't bad.

I'm 2T2X1 - air transportation, in the reserves. Mindless job and there really isn't much of a future outside of UPS, FedEx or working for an airline. I joined for the GI Bill mainly, so that's not a concern for me.

We had a guy that F'd up and told a doctor he had asthma as a child when he went to sick call in basic. A few days later he was packing his bags and heading home. Hope you can get your waiver.

I wish I would have gone active out of high school, but that's long since passed. Listen to what others have said here. I've met several former load masters and a handful of linguists. All of them spoke highly of their former career. The former security force members I've met echo what has been said here as well. A few loved it while most could not wait to cross train.

If you have any questions about basic let me know. It's still fairly fresh in my mind and I went through the 8.5 weeks opposed to the 6.5 weeks.
PM sent re: 2T2X1.

Old 12-22-2010, 00:33   #17
Mwildt

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluelineman View Post
PM sent re: 2T2X1.
Back at you.
Mwildt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2010, 01:12   #18
Edmo01

Quote:
Originally Posted by BayouGlocker View Post
I know I'm a little late to the party, but at almost 23 years of age, I've decided to enlist in the AF. Going through some things trying to get a waiver, since I was diagnosed with childhood asthma. I ran track and cross country in high school, so hopefully this will be cleared up.....

I'm very interested in Security Forces, but open to other jobs as well.

Anyways, as a (hopeful) recruit, any advice?
Don't try to hide an illness when you fill out the forms. If they need a waiver, they'll get one. Otherwise you risk being discharged if the find out at a later date that you were less than honest.

Get in shape prior to basic... Running, situps, pushups, pullups, etc. USAF Basic Training is more physical than it used to be and you'll be challenged physically and mentally. The training will go easier if you are already in shape. Don't wait for them to get you into shape.

Pick a job you think you'll enjoy. Every job has a suck side, but most are rewarding. There is always the "needs of the Air Force" with regards to job placement, so you might not get what you want. Flying jobs mean long hours, time from home, and lot of study and challenge. However, they can be very rewarding. I flew most of my 21 years and enjoyed it.

Good luck if you decide to go in.

Edmo
Edmo01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2010, 18:31   #19
Sigluvr

Go Combat Arms. I didn't know that was an option until I was allready in. BTW Guaranteed Electrical translated into Boiler Tech. Not a bad job, but I never did figure out how that worked. I tried to re-train but the waiting list was to long for CATM, so I just got out. I don't regret a minute of it though (OK maybee a few.)

Good Luck.
Sigluvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2010, 22:13   #20
MrMurphy
Lifetime Membership

You can't enlist straight into CATM.