GlockTalk.com
Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups



  
SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-13-2009, 17:59   #51
7.62FMJ
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Ohio
Posts: 475
Quote:
Originally Posted by G-20er View Post
Here is the data using VV 3N38 and the 200 grain XTP Bullet. Anybody ever seen a handgun load with a 4.2 on standard deviation. That is great!!! This was the most accurate powder I have used yet. All 10 rounds were in a 3 inch diameter circle from 25 yards using open sights and a rest on barrel side of gun only.

G-20 with stock length KKM barrel
Starline Brass
CCI 300 primers (do not use mag primers with this powder).
OAL 1.250

Please Note: do not try to fire these loads in a stock Glock barrel. 9.3 was max load for the stock Glock barrel. See bottom of page for further information.




9.5 grains:
GROUP #6
1) 1163.0 14.8
2) 1160.0 11.8
3) 1152.0 3.8
4) 1134.0 -14.2
5) 1131.0 -17.2 ƒ
6) 1141.0 -7.2
7) 1152.0 3.8
8) 1146.0 -2.2
9) 1149.0 0.8
10) 1154.0 5.8
High: 1163.0
Low: 1131.0
E.S.: 32.0
Ave.: 1148.2
S.D.: 10.4
95%: 8.0




10 grains:
GROUP #7
1) 1196.0 11.4 ƒ
2) 1182.0 -2.6
3) 1194.0 9.4
4) 1192.0 7.4
5) 1174.0 -10.6
6) 1182.0 -2.6
7) 1183.0 -1.6
8) 1182.0 -2.6
9) 1184.0 -0.6
10) 1178.0 -6.6
High: 1196.0
Low: 1174.0
E.S.: 22.0
Ave.: 1184.6
S.D.: 7.0
95%: 6.0





Maximum safe load with stock Glock barrel was 9.3 grains of VV 3N38 at 65 F OAT. This load produced only 1135 fps. 9.5 grains don't even try it with the stock Glock barrel. Very heavy smileys on all cases. I believe this powder was actually designed for lighter weight bullets in mind.

Maximum safe load using KKM barrel was 10.5 grains of VV 3N38 at 65 F OAT. This load produced 1221 fps with a SD of a low 4.2 I took the load as high as 10.8 but got light smileys on 75% of brass. 10.8 grains of VV 3N38 gave 1252 fps which matches DoubleTap Ammo; however, Mikes DT Ammo is running at much lower pressures and much safer.

I am learning that with the KKM aftermarket barrel with powders in this burn range, you can load 10% more powder which gives you approximately 110 fps more with same pressure signs as compared to the Glock stock barrel.


I can confirm your numbers data for VV3N38 using the 9.5gr and 10 gr using 200gr XTP. However tested the 9.5gr out of the stock barrel and 10gr out of an LWD stock length barrel.

Signs of pressure at 10gr but nothing serious.
__________________
Lost Victim of Glock Talk Forums Absolutely Rediculous Sitemap.
7.62FMJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2009, 18:33   #52
snair
Senior Member
 
snair's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Salt Lake
Posts: 792
Quote:
Originally Posted by TeamTupperware View Post
If you need any data with viht powders...email me and let me know. I've probably tried all of them by now. If you want clean, then try N320 (use hot .40 data). If you're trying to build a cannon...try N350, it has very similar characteristics to AA#7.no_minor@yahoo.com
im loading 3.7 of 310 200gswc 45s for ppc. do you know the difference between the 310 and 320? thanks
snair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2009, 20:15   #53
7.62FMJ
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Ohio
Posts: 475
Why does Vhit not post the correct data with their N105? 9gr pushing a 200gr XTP only yielded about 1050 FPS. They show 1162 with only 8.6gr. Something is not right.
__________________
Lost Victim of Glock Talk Forums Absolutely Rediculous Sitemap.
7.62FMJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2010, 14:30   #54
robert91922
Senior Member
 
robert91922's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Slovenia, Europe
Posts: 428
Quote:
Originally Posted by 7.62FMJ View Post
Why does Vhit not post the correct data with their N105? 9gr pushing a 200gr XTP only yielded about 1050 FPS. They show 1162 with only 8.6gr. Something is not right.
Maybe it's different barrel length, barrel type, primers ...
__________________
Better be judged by twelve than carried by six.

Last edited by robert91922; 06-26-2010 at 14:35..
robert91922 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2010, 15:02   #55
robert91922
Senior Member
 
robert91922's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Slovenia, Europe
Posts: 428
Here's my data for N105

- Glock 20 stock barrel -- EDIT: (previously I misstyped it and stated as "Glock 21")
- primers: CCI LP
- powder: VV N105
- bullets: Winchester JHP 180gr
- brass: Starline (new)
- COAL: 1.256
- temperature: 50 F (10 C)


load (grains) average (fps)
10,0..............1128
10,2..............1144
10,4..............1189
10,6..............1193
10,8..............1213
11,0..............1227

No signs of overpressure yet.
__________________
Better be judged by twelve than carried by six.

Last edited by robert91922; 08-08-2010 at 03:26.. Reason: misstyped pistol model
robert91922 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2010, 15:49   #56
alank2
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2004
Posts: 1,898
Hi snair,

n320 is a bit slower that than n310. n320 is my "goto" powder for any sort of light load I want. I've used it in 45/70, 38 special, etc.

robert91922 - be very careful, VV doesn't show n105 loads for 45acp and n105 is very very slow.

Good luck,

Alan
__________________
PRESS MONITOR - The ULTIMATE Press Accessory
Can Prevent Squib or Double Charge . Press Action Monitoring . Loaded Round Counter . Low Powder Alarm . Press Light . Rounds Per Hour
www.pressmonitordevice.com
alank2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2010, 03:20   #57
robert91922
Senior Member
 
robert91922's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Slovenia, Europe
Posts: 428
Quote:
Originally Posted by alank2 View Post
Hi snair,

n320 is a bit slower that than n310. n320 is my "goto" powder for any sort of light load I want. I've used it in 45/70, 38 special, etc.

robert91922 - be very careful, VV doesn't show n105 loads for 45acp and n105 is very very slow.

Good luck,

Alan
ups, I misstyped it. It is a 10mm Glock 20 of course, NOT 45acp Glock21.
I even don't own anything in 45acp caliber.

alank2 - thanks for warning anyway
__________________
Better be judged by twelve than carried by six.

Last edited by robert91922; 08-08-2010 at 03:33..
robert91922 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2010, 13:02   #58
robert91922
Senior Member
 
robert91922's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Slovenia, Europe
Posts: 428
VV N105 & Winchester JHP 180gr - Part TWO

EDIT (10-22-2010): These measured data is ALL WRONG BECAUSE OF TOO SHORT DISTANCE BETWEEN CHRONO SCREENS!!! Look at my another post a little below
___________________________________
Here you are, finally I succeeded to load and measure the next generation of my 10mm babies:
- Glock 20 stock barrel
- recoil spring: DPM MS Glock20 3-spring system - http://www.dpmsystems.com/en/products/
- primers: CCI 300 LP
- powder: VV N105
- bullets: Winchester JHP 180gr
- brass: Starline (new)
- COAL: 1.260
- temperature: 54 F (12C)

Special thanks to: Mr. Jan S.M. - owner of "my" Dillon XL650 and Mr. Bostjan P. - owner of the range closest to my residence

load (grains) average (fps)
11,2..............1319
11,4..............1340
11,6..............1360
11,8..............1372
12,0..............1375
12,2..............1386

No signs of overpressure till 12,2gr, when third case out of 3 had a 10mm crack along in the middle, so I suppose 12,0gr would be maximum for this configuration. I was using 3 mags, only 1 round in each mag to prevent warming of next round in chamber while I'm writing down measured speed and taking a good look to a case just spent. I was using Acuna Brass Catcher, which caught almost all cases if I fixed it to sit properly on pistol rail after each shot -had only to pull it back 2 or 3 mm to fit.
On the lower edge of each case I found a scratch, probably caused by extractor.
And YES, I still have all my 10 fingers on

And here's some pictures:
Attached Thumbnails
10mm Reloading Forum - Click for larger version   10mm Reloading Forum - Click for larger version  
__________________
Better be judged by twelve than carried by six.

Last edited by robert91922; 07-06-2011 at 13:03.. Reason: attaching pics, replacing link to DPM
robert91922 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2010, 00:26   #59
robert91922
Senior Member
 
robert91922's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Slovenia, Europe
Posts: 428
Quote:
Originally Posted by robert91922 View Post
Here you are, finally I succeeded to load and measure the next generation of my 10mm babies:
- Glock 20 stock barrel
- recoil spring: DPM MS Glock20 3-spring system - http://www.dpmsystems.com/en/products/
- primers: CCI 300 LP
- powder: VV N105
- bullets: Winchester JHP 180gr
- brass: Starline (new)
- COAL: 1.260
- temperature: 54 F (12C)

Special thanks to: Mr. Jan S.M. - owner of "my" Dillon XL650 and Mr. Bostjan P. - owner of the range closest to my residence

load (grains) average (fps)
11,2..............1319
11,4..............1340
11,6..............1360
11,8..............1372
12,0..............1375
12,2..............1386

No signs of overpressure till 12,2gr, when third case out of 3 had a 10mm crack along in the middle, so I suppose 12,0gr would be maximum for this configuration. I was using 3 mags, only 1 round in each mag to prevent warming of next round in chamber while I'm writing down measured speed and taking a good look to a case just spent. I was using Acuna Brass Catcher, which caught almost all cases if I fixed it to sit properly on pistol rail after each shot -had only to pull it back 2 or 3 mm to fit.
On the lower edge of each case I found a scratch, probably caused by extractor.
And YES, I still have all my 10 fingers on

And here's some pictures:
Well, comparing this data with other similar loads from other reloaders (180gr/N105)... I am not sure anymore that these mine are correct. I will repeat measuring these loads with another chronograph and post it
__________________
Better be judged by twelve than carried by six.

Last edited by robert91922; 07-06-2011 at 13:03.. Reason: deleted link to DPM (not working anymore)
robert91922 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2010, 13:47   #60
old wanderer
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 234
Quote:
Originally Posted by robert91922 View Post
Well, comparing this data with other similar loads from other reloaders (180gr/N105)... I am not sure anymore that these mine are correct. I will repeat measuring these loads with another chronograph and post it
I would do exactly that....2 things I notice:

1. Your primers are not what I would call "great". The flowing of the firing pin hole is not not normal.

2. The splitting of the cases indicates high pressure..

a. check your powder calibration again. (How did you weigh and meter your powder?)

b. check the distance between screens on the crono.

In looking at the 1st page of the reloading date here:

180 Remington FMJFP
New Winchester Brass
Rem 2 1/2 primers
COL 1.265"
~ 55F
9 or 10 shot strings on all barrels

12.5 N105
Gun/barrel Lo Hi ES Avg SD
G29 1249 1282 33 1266 9
G20 1330 1355 25 1339 7
1911 5" 1342 1380 38 1358 12
G20 Jarvis 6" 1388 1430 42 1412 16

It indicates in 4 different guns a load of 12.5 was working normal. Only difference is the Rem 2 1/2 primer vs a CCI 300. If you had been using CCI 350 it would explain the difference.

Since I have 200 rounds sitting here ready to load with VV 105, I am very interested in your conclusions.
old wanderer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2010, 12:54   #61
robert91922
Senior Member
 
robert91922's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Slovenia, Europe
Posts: 428
Today I reloaded the same stuff again (Winchester JHP 180gr & VV N105 from 11,2gr to 12,2gr).
I hope I will succeed to go to the range this week and chrono them. This time I will take more care about Chrony, because I'm almost sure that last time I didn't extend it enough - to the end, so distance between screens was too short.

"old wanderer": I changed a firing pin spring from standard to "Red - 28 Newton"
http://www.glock.com/english/options...gpinspring.htm
so firing pin holes are a bit deeper.
Powder was weighed on Dillon electronic scale, I load on Dillon XL650.
Yes, I noticed some case bulging at unsupported area but I use my *-----* brass only once for such hot loads. After this "torture" it will be still ok for mild target loads.
3 days ago I received another package of 10mm brass from Luxemburg, I paid 253 EUR for 1k. (1EUR = 1.4USD$) Too bad that Starline does not send it anymore outside US directly to customers.
__________________
Better be judged by twelve than carried by six.

Last edited by robert91922; 10-18-2010 at 15:03..
robert91922 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2010, 23:00   #62
robert91922
Senior Member
 
robert91922's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Slovenia, Europe
Posts: 428
Another chrono data of same loads N105/Win180JHP

3 days ago I have loaded another batch of Win JHP 180gr and VV N105 11,2gr-12,2gr. Yesterday I made also 12,4 - 12,8gr and today's sunny afternoon I had a lot of 10mm pleasure on range:

load (grains) average (fps)
11,2..............1223
11,4..............1238
11,6..............1245
11,8..............1255
12,0..............1265
12,2..............1286
12,4..............1291
12,6..............1300
12,8..............1302

- Glock 20 stock barrel
- recoil spring: DPM MS Glock20 3-spring system - http://www.dpmsystems.com/en/products/
- primers: CCI 300 LP
- powder: VV N105
- bullets: Winchester JHP 180gr
- brass: Starline (new) and Winchester (new)
- COAL: 1.260 - 1.263
- temperature: 54 F (12C)

I noticed some case bulging at unsupported area but no glock smileys yet. Almost all brass (except 2) could be reused for some mild target loads.
Anyway if I want to go further with some hotter loads I have to wait for IGB full supported barrel.
Pictures of brass to be followed in this same post, probably tomorrow.
__________________
Better be judged by twelve than carried by six.

Last edited by robert91922; 07-06-2011 at 13:04.. Reason: replaced link to DPM
robert91922 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2010, 13:49   #63
robert91922
Senior Member
 
robert91922's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Slovenia, Europe
Posts: 428
Quote:
Originally Posted by robert91922 View Post
3 days ago I have loaded another batch of Win JHP 180gr and VV N105 11,2gr-12,2gr. Yesterday I made also 12,4 - 12,8gr and today's sunny afternoon I had a lot of 10mm pleasure on range:

load (grains) average (fps)
11,2..............1223
11,4..............1238
11,6..............1245
11,8..............1255
12,0..............1265
12,2..............1286
12,4..............1291
12,6..............1300
12,8..............1302

- Glock 20 stock barrel
- recoil spring: DPM MS Glock20 3-spring system http://www.dpmsystems.com/en/products/
- primers: CCI 300 LP
- powder: VV N105
- bullets: Winchester JHP 180gr
- brass: Starline (new) and Winchester (new)
- COAL: 1.260 - 1.263
- temperature: 54 F (12C)

I noticed some case bulging at unsupported area but no glock smileys yet. Almost all brass (except 3) could be reused for some mild target loads.
Anyway if I want to go further with some hotter loads I have to wait for IGB full supported barrel.
Pictures of brass to be followed in this same post, probably tomorrow.
Finally I took a photo of 24 cases used, sorry for such delay. 3 cases are damaged at the edge, I don't know what happened nor why. Details about these 3 cases will be posted separately.
Attached Thumbnails
10mm Reloading Forum - Click for larger version  
__________________
Better be judged by twelve than carried by six.

Last edited by robert91922; 07-06-2011 at 13:05.. Reason: attaching pics, replaced link to DPM
robert91922 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2010, 17:10   #64
robert91922
Senior Member
 
robert91922's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Slovenia, Europe
Posts: 428
N105 & Hornady XTP 200 gr

Last few weeks I was working on my 10mm hunting load or better said my SD load for/when stirring out an angry wounded wild boar from bushes.
This week new full supported IGB barrel has finally arrived and today I was testing my 200gr babies:

Equipment/conditions:
- Glock 20
- IGB custom barrel 4.6" with full supported chamber
- primers: CCI LP 300
- recoil spring: DPM MS 3-spring system for Glock 20/21
- powder: Vihtavuori N105
- bullets: Hornady XTP 200gr
- brass: Winchester (new)
- OAL: 1.260 to 1.275 (depending on load)
- temperature: 52 oF (11 oC)
- 1 string: 3 shots only
- distance from 1st Chrony screen: 3m (approx. 10 feet)
- I cleaned barrel quickly with brass-brush and hard-plastic brush after every third string (after 9 shots)


load (grains)~~~~~average (fps)
9,6.................1072
10,0.................1108
10,3.................1113
10,6.................1147
10,8.................1153
11,0.................1172
11,2.................1191
11,4.................1199
11,6.................1212
11,8.................1220
12,0.................1232
12,2.................1256
12,4.................1255 ??? - strange but true
12,6.................1264
12,8.................1269 2 primers flat
13,0.................1284 all 3 primers flat
13,2.................1301 2 primers flat, 1 primer fell out!

I made only 3 rounds for 1 string because these bullets are expensive in Europe (0.27€ = 0,37$) and I dare to use only new brass (0,25€ = 0,35$) for such hot mule-like kicking loads.
Beside good military glasses for eye protection I was wearing also kevlar-leather gloves, not for just in case of KB, my G20 was hard-kicker this time, my wrist was thankful for that.
N105 powder is not much friendly to compress, more likely hollows become damaged a bit if I try to seat bullets some deeper.
But anyway I found N105 to be a great powder for pushing heavy 200 grainers. Maybe some day I will try with CCI 350 Magnum primers, starting 1 or 1.5 grains lower.
I noticed that rounds with AOL 1.275 or more stuck in the mag and decided to make 12,4gr rounds with AOL 1.272. This length makes no stucking in mag and at 1255 fps primers were still acceptable.

WARNING: Don't try such hot loads in Glock stock unsupported barrel and of course, don't even try to shoot them on hot summer day.
__________________
Better be judged by twelve than carried by six.

Last edited by robert91922; 11-21-2010 at 07:22..
robert91922 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2010, 08:38   #65
g20addicted
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: ITALY
Posts: 85
Quote:
Originally Posted by robert91922 View Post
Last few weeks I was working on my 10mm hunting load or better said my SD load for/when stirring out an angry wounded wild boar from bushes.
This week new full supported IGB barrel has finally arrived and today I was testing my 200gr babies:

Equipment/conditions:
- Glock 20
- IGB custom barrel 4.6" with full supported chamber
- primers: CCI LP 300
- recoil spring: DPM MS 3-spring system for Glock 20/21
- powder: Vihtavuori N105
- bullets: Hornady XTP 200gr
- brass: Winchester (new)
- OAL: 1.260 to 1.275 (depending on load)
- temperature: 52 oF (11 oC)
- 1 string: 3 shots only
- distance from 1st Chrony screen: 3m (approx. 10 feet)
- I cleaned barrel quickly with brass-brush and hard-plastic brush after every third string (after 9 shots)


load (grains)~~~~~average (fps)
9,6.................1072
10,0.................1108
10,3.................1113
10,6.................1147
10,8.................1153
11,0.................1172
11,2.................1191
11,4.................1199
11,6.................1212
11,8.................1220
12,0.................1232
12,2.................1256
12,4.................1255 ??? - strange but true
12,6.................1264
12,8.................1269 2 primers flat
13,0.................1284 all 3 primers flat
13,2.................1301 2 primers flat, 1 primer fell out!

I made only 3 rounds for 1 string because these bullets are expensive in Europe (0.27€ = 0,37$) and I dare to use only new brass (0,25€ = 0,35$) for such hot mule-like kicking loads.
Beside good military glasses for eye protection I was wearing also kevlar-leather gloves, not for just in case of KB, my G20 was hard-kicker this time, my wrist was thankful for that.
N105 powder is not much friendly to compress, more likely hollows become damaged a bit if I try to seat bullets some deeper.
But anyway I found N105 to be a great powder for pushing heavy 200 grainers. Maybe some day I will try with CCI 350 Magnum primers, starting 1 or 1.5 grains lower.
I noticed that rounds with AOL 1.275 or more stuck in the mag and decided to make 12,4gr rounds with AOL 1.272. This length makes no stucking in mag and at 1255 fps primers were still acceptable.

WARNING: Don't try such hot loads in Glock stock unsupported barrel and of course, don't even try to shoot them on hot summer day.

What is the strenght (lbs) of the DPM spring you used? 19, 20, 22 lbs??

Have you tried the same loads with the Glock 20 stock 17lbs spring?

thanks!

Last edited by g20addicted; 11-21-2010 at 10:29..
g20addicted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2010, 14:46   #66
robert91922
Senior Member
 
robert91922's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Slovenia, Europe
Posts: 428
DPM 3-spring recoil system for Glock 20

It is not a single spring on guide rod, it's a 3-spring kit combined with magnets inside. I can't find explicit data of it's strength, but here's some description and also Jeff Quinn's revision:
http://www.gunblast.com/DPM.htm
http://www.dpmsystems.com/en/home/

I decided to switch from factory recoil spring when I found my G20 to be uncontrolable with loads quite weaker than these 200-grainers. The difference was significant, really as advertised. Reduced recoil, faster sighting back on target and cases started flying "only" 5 yards away, not 15 like before.
I remember I had 180gr/1200 fps ammo that day and after that I had never put back stock recoil spring in my G20 neither I will.

Only switching to be done is changing main spring in DPM: silver for heavy bullets (180 - 200gr) and gold (yellow) for fast ammo (1400 fps) with light bullets (155gr). If I try to shoot 155gr/1400fps with silver main spring sometimes spent case is smashed or stucked at the edge of frame and destroyed. Well, maybe if I would shorten it a few it would be good for .40SW but IMO I will never buy that caliber.

Although meant in first place for hot ammo this DPM works OK also with weak factory Remington 180gr/1060fps FMJ's.
__________________
Better be judged by twelve than carried by six.

Last edited by robert91922; 11-21-2010 at 15:00..
robert91922 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2010, 03:38   #67
g20addicted
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: ITALY
Posts: 85
Quote:
Originally Posted by robert91922 View Post
Only switching to be done is changing main spring in DPM: silver for heavy bullets (180 - 200gr) and gold (yellow) for fast ammo (1400 fps) with light bullets (155gr). If I try to shoot 155gr/1400fps with silver main spring sometimes spent case is smashed or stucked at the edge of frame and destroyed. Well, maybe if I would shorten it a few it would be good for .40SW but IMO I will never buy that caliber.

Although meant in first place for hot ammo this DPM works OK also with weak factory Remington 180gr/1060fps FMJ's.

In the case you are using a 180/200gr bullet running at more than 1350 fps (180gr) or 1200 fps (200gr), so a combination of "Heavy and Fast", like in your tests, you used the silver or yellow?
g20addicted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2010, 09:47   #68
robert91922
Senior Member
 
robert91922's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Slovenia, Europe
Posts: 428
Silver (stronger) spring for heavy bullets 180gr and up. The yellow one seems to be recommendable only for lighter 155 bullets because when I switched from silver to yellow 155gr worked fine, no damaged/stucked cases anymore.
I have also 165gr/1411fps loads w. Speer Gold Dot, those functioned fine with silver spring so far. This week I'm planing to go to my beloved place (guess where is it ) and compare silver vs. yellow spring with 165gr/1411 loads.
I also plan to chrono 155gr Speer GDHP/13.0-13.6gr Rex Magnum loads and compare them with same bullet/VV 3N38 loads.
__________________
Better be judged by twelve than carried by six.

Last edited by robert91922; 11-22-2010 at 09:51..
robert91922 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2010, 14:06   #69
g20addicted
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: ITALY
Posts: 85
To all who may know... :)

Question to all of you who have tried:

1) Using 180gr plated bullets and N105 powder, what is the "maximum safest" load? I mean, a load that, even if it may exceed the official limits shown in the VV tables, can still make you go on safely with one brass for 5-6 times?
I was thinking about 10,7 grains of N105 and 180gr... is it OK? I know that the limit is 9,9 in the latest tables, and it used to be 10,5 in the tables of some year ago... but since I saw that some of you went up to 12 grs, I thought that 10,7 would be fair enough safe.

2) Considering normal loads of N105 with a 180gr bullet (that means something around 9,5 - 10 grains of powder), can I still safely use the stock glock plastic spring? Or is it too weak and the slide will cycle super-fast (dangerously fast)? Considering that, theoretically, all the official VV data has been done with stock guns, it should be ok, but I'd like to hear from you.

Thanks!
g20addicted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2010, 15:04   #70
robert91922
Senior Member
 
robert91922's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Slovenia, Europe
Posts: 428
N105 & 180gr bullet

My data:

VV N105, Winchester JHP 180gr, Glock stock barrel

10,0 gr~~~~~~~~1128fps
10,2 gr~~~~~~~~1144fps
10,4 gr~~~~~~~~1189fps
10,6 gr~~~~~~~~1193fps
10,8 gr~~~~~~~~1213fps
11,0 gr~~~~~~~~1227fps

IMO you go safe with 10,7gr n105 and 180gr plated bullet, your brass will last some cycles and you will still feel like shooting 10mm auto, not some watered down factory stuff e.g. Remington UMC 180 FMJ / 1050 fps (my chrono data).
Just make it sure your barrel is clean when starting and DON'T mess with casted bullets on the same day at the range. When I shoot casted bullets I clean my IGB barrel after every 2 or 3 mags w. softer brass brush and then w. stock plastic brush (the one you get with new Glock)

I don't recommend stock spring for these loads, go buy something little stronger w. steel rod. Your gun will be thankful and your wrist too. Not to mention controllability and accuracy.
__________________
Better be judged by twelve than carried by six.

Last edited by robert91922; 11-26-2010 at 15:15..
robert91922 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2010, 14:40   #71
g20addicted
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: ITALY
Posts: 85
Thank you again!

Is there any special consideration/attention to be done if I want to use CCI350 primers? Do I need to lower the powder charge?

thanks!
g20addicted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2010, 12:47   #72
robert91922
Senior Member
 
robert91922's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Slovenia, Europe
Posts: 428
Magnum primers

Quote:
Originally Posted by g20addicted View Post
Thank you again!

Is there any special consideration/attention to be done if I want to use CCI350 primers? Do I need to lower the powder charge?

thanks!
I don't have any experience with magnum primers yet, but I read many times here on GT that you should start 10% lower than minimum and go up very slowly & observe very carefully every case spent for any sign of overpressure.
I am planing to try CCI 350 / 180 & 200gr bullets considering these warnings. The last time I was chronoing various bullets & N105/CCI300 I found quite much unburnt powder on the ground around chrono. Looked like some tiny yellow flakes. Maybe w. Magnum primers I could load less powder for same speed and all of it will burn inside the barrel.
__________________
Better be judged by twelve than carried by six.

Last edited by robert91922; 12-03-2010 at 15:20.. Reason: grammar
robert91922 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2010, 13:10   #73
robert91922
Senior Member
 
robert91922's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Slovenia, Europe
Posts: 428
CCI LP Magnum primers / N105 / Winchester 180gr JHP

Equipment/conditions:
- Glock 20
- IGB custom barrel 4.6" with full supported chamber
- primers: CCI 350 LP Magnum
- recoil spring: DPM MS 3-spring system for Glock 20/21
- firing pin spring changed from standard to "Red - 28 Newton"
http://www.glock.com/english/options...gpinspring.htm
- powder: Vihtavuori N105
- bullets: Winchester JHP 180gr
- brass: Starline (new)
- OAL: 1.268
- temperature: 25 oF (-4 oC)
- 1 string: 3 shots only
- distance from 1st Chrony screen: 3m (approx. 10 feet)
- I cleaned barrel quickly with brass-brush and hard-plastic brush after every third string (after 9 shots)

load (grains)~~~~~average (fps)

11,4.................1284
11,7.................1302
12,0.................1326
12,2.................1328
12,4.................1340
12,6.................1342 primers flattened a bit

I found out at my previous tests w. CCI 300 primers that quite much of N105 remains unburnt, especially at lower winter temperatures, so tried with magnum primers, starting a bit lower. No overpressure signs until 12,6gr when primers looked flattened. My goal was also lower volume of powder to avoid much compression, so working load will be 12,0 grains. This time some unburnt powder found on chrono and on blanket below, but much less than last time with CCI 300 LP primers.
IMO magnum primers are useful at low winter temperatures in combination with slow burning powder like N105.

Warning: Do not try such loads with unsupported barrel or at higher spring/summer temperatures. I always use kevlar gloves and best eye protection glasses as well - find out what military use.
__________________
Better be judged by twelve than carried by six.

Last edited by robert91922; 12-12-2010 at 13:34..
robert91922 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2010, 13:27   #74
robert91922
Senior Member
 
robert91922's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Slovenia, Europe
Posts: 428
CCI LP 350 Magnum / N105 / Hornady XTP 200gr

- Glock 20
- IGB custom barrel 4.6" w. full supported chamber
- primers: CCI 350 LP Magnum
- recoil spring: DPM MS 3-spring system for Glock 20/21
- firing pin spring changed from standard to "Red - 28 Newton"
http://www.glock.com/english/options...gpinspring.htm
- powder: Vihtavuori N105
- bullets: HORNADY XTP 200gr
- brass: Starline (new)
- OAL: 1.272
- temperature: 25 oF (-4 oC)
- 1 string: 3 shots only
- distance from 1st Chrony screen: 3m (approx. 10 feet)
- I cleaned barrel quickly with brass-brush and hard-plastic brush after every second string (after 6 shots)

load (grains)~~~~~average (fps)

11,0.................1215
11,3.................1227
11,7.................1261
12,0.................1276 primers flattened a bit
12,2.................1283 primers flattened
12,4.................1294 primers flattened

I found out at my previous tests that quite much of N105 remains unburnt, especialy at lower winter temperatures, so tried with magnum primers, starting a bit lower. Overpressure signs started at 12,0gr - primers flattened a bit. My goal was also lower volume of powder to avoid much compression and bullet hollow squeezing, so working load will be 11,7 or 11,8 grains.

Warning: Do not try such loads with unsupported barrel or at higher spring/summer temperatures. I always use kevlar gloves and best eye protection glasses as well - find out what military use. I use Revision Sawfly.
__________________
Better be judged by twelve than carried by six.

Last edited by robert91922; 12-12-2010 at 13:33..
robert91922 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2010, 14:00   #75
robert91922
Senior Member
 
robert91922's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Slovenia, Europe
Posts: 428
VV N350 / Speer 155gr GDHP / CCI 300 LP

- Glock 20
- IGB custom barrel 4.6" w. full supported chamber
- primers: CCI 300 Large Pistol
- recoil spring: DPM MS 3-spring system for Glock 20/21 (yellow main spring)
- firing pin spring changed from standard to "Red - 28 Newton"
http://www.glock.com/english/options...gpinspring.htm
- powder: Vihtavuori N350
- bullets: Speer GDHP 155gr
- brass: Starline (new)
- OAL: 1.262
- temperature: 25 oF (-4 oC)
- 1 string: 3 shots only
- distance from 1st Chrony screen: 3m (approx. 10 feet)
- I cleaned barrel quickly with brass-brush and hard-plastic brush after fourth string (after 12 shots)

load (grains)~~~~~average (fps)

11.0.................1417
11.2.................1434
11.4.................1455
11.6.................1465
11.8.................1493 primers flattened
12.0.................1512 primers very flattened, 1 primer fell out

IMO 11.2 load would be max if I'm gonna make SD loads with these components for winter carry. For hot summer days should drop down to 10.4 (or lower) or use slower powder e.g. 3N38.
__________________
Better be judged by twelve than carried by six.
robert91922 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump




All times are GMT -6. The time now is 13:49.



Homepage
FAQ
Forums
Calendar
Advertise
Gallery
GT Wiki
GT Blogs
Social Groups
Classifieds


Users Currently Online: 1,353
408 Members
945 Guests

Most users ever online: 2,244
Nov 11, 2013 at 11:42