Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 01-02-2011, 07:32   #1
ampdog

Long Range with Bullpup

If you have a 20" -24" barrel Bullpup can you expect the same accuracy as with a comparable 20" - 24" barreled rifle?

Is there a different technique associated with long range Bullpup shooting?
ampdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 01:04   #2
Zak Smith
3Gunner

It really depends on the rifles in question. The bullpup aspect itself does not mechanically change the accuracy potential.

My experience with "good" bullpup LR rifles is limited to a couple dozen rounds through a DTA SRS.

Bullpup rifles tend to be more rear heavy which can make them balance differently off a bipod. FWIW, the "top 308" shooter at the 2010 Steel Safari shot a 20" .308 DTA SRS (but it did have a big .338 suppressor on the end).

-z

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
Zak Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2011, 05:31   #3
ampdog

When I first started looking at Bullpups my thought was that the shorter overalll length is a plus and the full length rifle barrel will give me comparable accuracy (another plus). How can I go wrong?

When I first got the bullpup (M17S) I practiced with it like a close range tactical rifle. No problem, excellent accuracy everything was fine. Then I put a scope and a bi-pod on it and gave it a try at 100 yards and out. Not only did I see a difference in results here, but I could feel it too. Thats why I feel like it is a bullpup design thing and not a rifle accuracy issue. It was very different to shoot.

It seems like the overall length of a standard rifle is an extension of the barrel allowing you better accuracy (it seems easier to steady). With the bullpup it seems like a small error at my hand or shoulder will equal a much bigger variance at the target. Bigger than with a standard rifle and much more difficult to steady.

Just wondering if anyone has a similar experience or tips to help.
ampdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2011, 13:59   #4
Zak Smith
3Gunner

A few problems here. First, a longer barrel does not help mechanical accuracy (it does not necessarily harm it either). Second, the M17S isn't a precision rifle.

Quote:
It seems like the overall length of a standard rifle is an extension of the barrel allowing you better accuracy (it seems easier to steady).
This is the rear-heavy balance issue I referred to.

Quote:
With the bullpup it seems like a small error at my hand or shoulder will equal a much bigger variance at the target
This goes along with the prior point, but it is more likely a difference in the bipod position. The further the bipod is from your shoulder, the less POA movement you'll see when the rear of the gun moves (ie at your shoulder).

Zak Smith is offline   Reply With Quote