SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 01-12-2011, 15:58   #1
Eric
Big Giant Head

The GT Time Capsule - Will Close In 20 Years

OK folks. Seeing the link to that Methuselan thread in GT's 10mm club, I have decided to start this thread.

I want everyone to post a little about yourself and then pop in periodically to post your thoughts. Talk about current trends, fashions, issues (DO NOT turn this into a political pissing match!). Let's create some future history for our site.

If the site is still around in 20 years, and I hope it is, and this thread has not met an apathetic end, I hope it doesn't, we will close it and archive it.

I think it would be pretty incredible to log into this thread in twenty years and see twenty years' worth of our thoughts and jokes and lives looking back at me. What do you guys think? Eric
Old 01-12-2011, 16:07   #2
NeverMore1701
Platinum Membership
Fear no evil.

I think I'll be 45

But seriously, I think it's a cool idea.
For the last time
NeverMore1701 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2011, 16:07   #3
Z1232K
CLM Number 260
Heavy Hauler

Sounds like a great idea!
Z1232K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2011, 16:10   #4
seanmac45
CLM Number 38
Charter Lifetime Member

"The past is a foreign country: they do things differently there" written by Leslie Poles Hartley. At the age of 49 I look back 20 years ago and really do view my neighborhood as a foreign country. We are so busy rushing through our lives that we don't take the time to enjoy what we have RIGHT HERE, RIGHT NOW.

That is what I would like to add to your time capsule. The knowledge that we should enjoy the present before it becomes our past.

Forgive the maudlin rambling.
Old 01-12-2011, 16:15   #5
Lone_Wolfe
CLM Number 226
Sandbox Refugee

I doubt we'll still be fighting the war in Iraq. At least I won't be.

To those who have made the ultimate sacrifice while defending American freedom, you will not be forgotten.

RIP my friends Greg and Florence, see you again on the other side.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

RIP Jeff (23Skidoo) - 1962-2012 and Gloria (Silent_Runner) - 1964-2013
FREEDOM IS NOT FREE
Lone_Wolfe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2011, 16:20   #6
Angry Fist
Lifetime Membership
The Originalģ

In 20 years, will we have a 20mm club?

Eric, you need to post in 8:40 for once...
I want rustlers, cut throats, murderers, bounty hunters, desperados, mugs, pugs, thugs, nitwits, halfwits, dimwits, vipers, snipers, con men, Indian agents, Mexican bandits, muggers, buggerers, bushwhackers, hornswogglers, horse thieves, bull dykes, train robbers, bank robbers, ass-kickers, s**t-kickers, Methodists, and the GTDS.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

Last edited by Angry Fist; 01-12-2011 at 16:29..
Angry Fist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2011, 16:22   #7
Dinky
aka the Dik

Am 63 now, don't think I will be here in 20 years but I hope this site will be.

Independent voter

Agnostic

OAF'er

And I like guns....
Dinky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2011, 16:29   #8
Gallium
CLM Number 182
Charter Lifetime Member

NYC Drew's log; Tuesday January 12th, 2010.

It is fitting that on the 12th day of the year, we were shoveling 12" of snow.

Both of our mothers (me and the missus) are in their 7th decades. In 20 years they may not be cognizant enough of their surroundings to be aware of what the goings ons are.

Hopefully by then we have found a retardant for cancer, Alzheimers and diabetes.

A little more far fetched, but I hope that by then an enzyme, program, sequence or burst of knowledge makes it feasible to begin understanding women.

NYC Drew, out.

Edit to add: 6:26pm EDT
NYC Drew
CLM Number 182
NRA life member

Last edited by Gallium; 01-12-2011 at 17:26..
Gallium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2011, 16:37   #9
Kith

20 years is a long time.

In 20 years i'll be almost 50.

It seems like the overall sense of morale well being displayed by people of my age group is not what it should be.

I generally get along with people that are 50 better then people that are 20.

Hopefully, when I am 50, i'll have the same outlook and get along swell with people that are 20.

That would be a great future, to have the sense of "what's right is right" come full circle back to what I believe it should be, and what my elders are nostalgic for.

Quote:
That's what I like about the Internet. It's safe to be among idiots.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabbi
Indignation leads to itself. Education leads to solutions.
Kith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2011, 16:42   #10
Happy Hunting

It will be Pulse Cannon Talk in 2031. I don't care what it's called, as long as it isn't called Banned Talk.
Happy Hunting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2011, 16:42   #11
Lone_Wolfe
CLM Number 226
Sandbox Refugee

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYC Drew View Post
A little more far fetched, but I hope that by then an enzyme, program, sequence or burst of knowledge makes it feasible to begin understanding women.

NYC Drew, out.
Even more far-fetched is the thought of us ever understanding men.

In 20 years I hope the USA and the Constitution is still standing tall, and the welfare and nanny states haven't destroyed our country from within. I'm not quite 50, so there's a chance I'll be alive to see it although I really doubt it because of health problems.

Lone_Wolfe
CLM Number 226
Sandbox Refugee
The Okie Corral

To those who have made the ultimate sacrifice in Operation Enduring Freedom, you will not be forgotten.
RIP my friends Greg and Florence, see you again on the other side.

FREEDOM IS NOT FREE

Last edited by Lone_Wolfe; 01-14-2011 at 02:55..
Lone_Wolfe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2011, 16:47   #12
HavinaPretzel
Go Hokies!

Today, I'm reading online about some guns I might start shopping for - 9mm Sub 2000 that takes Glock mags, 2nd gen Glock (haven't handled one yet and I'm curious), possibly another J-Frame. I also just poured a beer from the first batch a fellow GTer and I brewed back in December.

In 20 years, when I'm 50(!), I hope I'll own all the guns I have now plus a whole lot more. I'd also like to do some more intense training between now and then, and move out into the sticks so I can shoot on my own property (and have a bigger brewing setup!).
Old 01-12-2011, 16:49   #13
captdreifus
aSun666

Current Glock's: 1st generation to 4th. Some recoil spring problems with the new generation 4 Glock's. Several spring "upgrades" available.

Trends:

IWB (miltsparks, cb, mtac, etc) are very popular. A lot of people use pancake style holsters from several custom leather makers.

Pocket guns are in. (J-frames, Ruger LCP, KelTec, etc)

"Tactical" and "Operator" is a common word in the firearms world.

Will add more later.

capt
Old 01-12-2011, 16:59   #14
Rabbi
Lifetime Membership
The Bombdiggity

I find myself, this day, at this time, at a peaceful place in my life. I have mountains I have scaled behind me and mountains ahead to climb.

Whenever you get mad as hell about it all, grab your rifle and head outside. If you are the only one there...it's not time yet

"Few men desire liberty; most men wish only for a just master." - Sallust
Rabbi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2011, 17:00   #15
Rabbi
Lifetime Membership
The Bombdiggity

At this time, most think the sky is falling. I say we still have good days ahead.

Whenever you get mad as hell about it all, grab your rifle and head outside. If you are the only one there...it's not time yet

"Few men desire liberty; most men wish only for a just master." - Sallust
Rabbi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2011, 17:10   #16
M1 SUPER 90
OIF 06-07

I had to make at least one post in the cardboard box thread so I better hit this one....
Old 01-12-2011, 17:40   #17
BailRecoveryAgent
Rude Member

A little bit about me at this stage in my life.
I'm a proud father of two little girls, the husband to a great wife, the son of the best parents you could ever hope for, proud conservative, Christian, supporter of freedom and the American way, small very small business owner, working in the fields of Bail Enforcement, Process Server, Investigator, and a little private security once in a while. My music taste is Metal, my fashion choices have been the same for years, jeans, tshirts, shorts, and sneakers.

Interesting People I've Met
I met Mark Fuhrman in Idaho in 1999. I met Carl Weathers about 15 or 16 years ago, while he was on "In The Heat Of The Night". I used the urinal right beside Billy Corgan of the Smashing Pumpkins about 11 years ago in Seattle. He's taller than he looks in music videos. I also recently met Warren Moon at Walmart. No I'm not joking, he was there doing a meet and greet. He's lookin old, but still in great shape. I met "The Million Dollar Man" Ted Debiase at a church where he was the guest speaker. I met Tony Orlando, and I didn't even know who he was.

Hopefully in 20 years, I'm still as happy as I am now, even though we've had a hard couple years, better things are yet to come.
BailRecoveryAgent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2011, 17:52   #18
Joshhtn
The eBay Guy

Great idea Eric!!

Well... In 20 years I will be 48 (still young!!). I am getting married on June 26th this year and I know that my Fiancee will be looking at this thread with me 20 years from now.

Last edited by Joshhtn; 01-12-2011 at 17:53..
Joshhtn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2011, 17:53   #19
Kuroineko

Some thoughts regarding my career.

Now at 39, I have been in my chosen field of employment for 10 years. I was a rookie when September 11 happened. I thought I'd make a difference, and was ready to get out there and do the job.
Now, I just want to keep my job and make it to retirement. Avoiding the scrutiny of administration and my supervisors because I realize now what a fickle ***** they can be.
I can still look myself in the mirror and don't have to force myself to go to work, but I don't quite have the bounce in my step I once did.
I started out carrying a SIG, went to a Glock, and now carry a 1911. I'll carry that until I'm forced to carry my issue Glock 22, but if forced to carry a Glock, I'd rather have my 35.
Kuroineko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2011, 17:56   #20
Rob62
XL Member

In 20 years the world will have changed a lot more than in the previous 20.

There will be fewer currencies and several countries will have gone through "Revolutions" - some peaceful some not. There will have been wars and rumors of wars. Arabs will be killing Jews, and Jews will be killing Arabs. Religion in general will either be gone the way of the DoDo bird, or a larger part of everyday life like it was in the early 19th and 20th century. (I canít decide which way it will go, but it will go one way or the other).
There will have been more gun restrictions in the USA. However I donít think that gun ownership will be totally banned. But possibly as restrictive as the UK, Australia, or Canada.

Rob