Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 10-04-2010, 22:27   #1
Folsom_Prison
Brew Crew

I carry a G19c, would you carry a compinsated model???

I carry a G19c. I was browsing google and ran into some other forums. They didnt reccomend carrying the compensated model due to the flash of the muzzle and slide. I really don't feel it's a issue IMO. What do you guys think??
Old 10-04-2010, 22:30   #2
AZ Husker

I carry a G32C. The stories about blinding flash and burned flesh are hugely overblown.
Old 10-04-2010, 22:34   #3
Folsom_Prison
Brew Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZ Husker View Post
I carry a G32C. The stories about blinding flash and burned flesh are hugely overblown.
I agree!! IMO the flash only lasts for a second!! It's not like it sticks around for minutes and you can't re sight and shoot your next round.
Old 10-04-2010, 22:42   #4
Doc Holliday
CLM Number 24
Charter Lifetime Member

No I would not carry a compensated model.

I want everything going out the front of the gun, not out the top and possibly bounced back towards me. (bullet shavings, hot gases and gunpowder)

"As for me and my house, we will continue to use the 2nd Gen Glocks"

This invisible text is also brought to you by SKYY Vodka.
Old 10-04-2010, 23:04   #5
Folsom_Prison
Brew Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc Holliday View Post
No I would not carry a compensated model.

I want everything going out the front of the gun, not out the top and possibly bounced back towards me. (bullet shavings, hot gases and gunpowder)

Really, huh. I shot my G19c yesterday and didn't have any issues with bullet shavings, hot gases or gunpowder!!
Old 10-05-2010, 00:17   #6
RON in PA

While I don't currently own a G19C, when I did I compared it to a 38 special revolver in low lighting conditions. Guess what, the revolver had more flash coming from the barrel-cylinder gap than the flash coming from the G19's port. This is highly over-rated IMHO.
Old 10-05-2010, 00:38   #7
DJ Niner

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZ Husker View Post
This. ^

The flash can be completely neutralized by careful ammo selection (most premium defensive loads flash very little, if any). Training can minimize the remote possibility of injury problems caused by the ports, just as knowledgeable defensive revolver shooters have dealt with magnum barrel/cylinder gap blast effects for decades.

I own a G17C and G19C, and have carried both at various times.

Old 10-05-2010, 00:57   #8
sigchaser723

The difference is that a revovolver has flash comming from the cylinder gap while the c models have it comming from the top of your weapon along the same plane as your sights. Under low light this could potentially deminish your night vision and lead to a problem aquiring a proper sights picture after the first round. I don't want to carry a c model for that reason and one other which is I don't see the point esspecially with a 9mm it just seems pointless but if it works for you then go for it.
Old 10-05-2010, 02:40   #9
old wanderer

I heard nothing but doom and gloom about tanking my 20c to Front Sight for a 4 day class that included night shooting.

Other than a few students that tried to go through the class with foam ear plugs and got next to me, the gun ran through almost 700 rounds without a hicup, and was really fast on follow up double taps. My next in line students with the foam plugs complained about the noise. but they could move away.

I could see the little fire jets coming up an inch or so during the night shoot, but running the AcroAir Ghost Ring tritium sights, I had no problem picking up my front sight for a 2 or 3 shot.

Don;'t have a 9mm so cannot comment on shooting the compensated model, but have shot a lot of 10mm and 40Sw in the compensated barrel and especially with the 10mm my 2nd shot is less than .3 seconds after the 1st with the compensator. With the non-compensated barrel it is over .5 seconds so almost twice as long.
Old 10-05-2010, 02:57   #10
JohnHoliday

Quote:
Originally Posted by sigchaser723 View Post
The difference is that a revovolver has flash comming from the cylinder gap while the c models have it comming from the top of your weapon along the same plane as your sights. Under low light this could potentially deminish your night vision and lead to a problem aquiring a proper sights picture after the first round. I don't want to carry a c model for that reason and one other which is I don't see the point esspecially with a 9mm it just seems pointless but if it works for you then go for it.

another person that hasn't shot a C model before, just regurgitating info he/she heard on the internet.

I've shot a C model in the night, is it no worse then shooting a regular model.

99% of the people that talk bad about the C models on here have never shot one, so take what you hear for what its worth.
Old 10-05-2010, 03:21   #11
ede
Bama's Friend

no i wouldn't carry one. i don't like them. my worry would be more about dirt and debris getting in the openings than flash or noise.
PM Black Diamond 538 F&AM
Bamatrooper taught Chuck Norris how to shoot.
Old 10-05-2010, 04:22   #12
Larry V

Send a message via Yahoo to Larry V
Theirs no need for a compensated model 19!
Old 10-05-2010, 04:57   #13
D.S.Brown

Yes! At some point I will own a G23C. I've shot them before in lowlight, and amazingly was not blinded the "flash." The only time I noticed it was when I was actively concentrating on looking for it, as opposed to focussing on my front sight.

I've shot 4" .357 magnum revolvers with quality ammo during daylight hours. The FIREBALL that emanated from the cylinder gap, and the front of the barrel was HUGE and quite noticeable! No I wasn't blinded then either, but I have to wonder what it may have been like in a lowlight scenario.

Best,

Dave
Old 10-05-2010, 05:14   #14
Jr.
CLM Number 280
Charter Lifetime Member

I shot my ruger 2 1/4" .357mag and my 19c, both loaded with federal sd ammo. The .357 looked more like a flame thrower and the 19c looked like a BIC on crack. I feel very confident in using it for HD.

And as to Larry V, I dont need a 9mm "C" but my wife sure does and thats why the 19C exists because some people do need it.
Old 10-05-2010, 05:24   #15
Bill Lumberg
BTF Inventor

On the internet, compensated models are unsuitable for carry, or on the other end of the spectrum, police duty. In the real world, they are quite suitable for both.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tactical_aj88 View Post
I carry a G19c. I was browsing google and ran into some other forums. They didnt reccomend carrying the compensated model due to the flash of the muzzle and slide. I really don't feel it's a issue IMO. What do you guys think??
Old 10-05-2010, 05:29   #16
DannyR

I would not hesitate to carry a "C" model Glock.
Bull Dawg #1
www.gssfonline.com
https://sites.google.com/site/dannyvickieryan
Old 10-05-2010, 05:38   #17
Bruce M

My limited understanding is that firing a ported gun from a "hip - retention" type position might increase a possibility of stuff getting into one's eyes. I am curious if there are any people or departments who regularly fire from that position who do use a ported gun.
I never talked to anyone who had to fire their gun who said "I wished I had the smaller gun and fewer rounds with me" Just because you find a hundred people who agree with you on the internet does not mean you're right.
Old 10-05-2010, 05:58   #18
cubbyjg

if you are confident in your skills and can handle the extra muzzle flash, then I say go for it. carry what you are confident with. ive never shot one before so I can't comment on the muzzle flash, etc. all I say is practice, practice, practice.
Old 10-05-2010, 07:13   #19
Bill Lumberg
BTF Inventor

Zero issues from the hip, from CAR, or from retention in general.
Old 10-05-2010, 07:13   #20
Doc Holliday
CLM Number 24
Charter Lifetime Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tactical_aj88 View Post
Really, huh. I shot my G19c yesterday and didn't have any issues with bullet shavings, hot gases or gunpowder!!
Well, good for you.

I don't even want the CHANCE of that happening, if I have to use the gun in a SD situation.

As I said, I prefer everything go out the front, away from me and towards the bad guy.

"As for me and my house, we will continue to use the 2nd Gen Glocks"

This invisible text is also brought to you by SKYY Vodka.
Old 10-05-2010, 07:18   #21
adaman04

Have you ever shot from retention, having your pistol indexed at your rib cage? It’s not bad at arms length but who said you’ll be shooting the pistol at arms length?

I don’t care for the C models because I’ve found the open slide allows more lint, etc to get in to the gun than the standard models. I wouldn’t trade it because of this or anything, but just food for thought.
Old 10-05-2010, 08:07   #22
Cambo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry V View Post
Theirs no need for a compensated model 19!
Spoken by someone who doesn't understand the physics of porting/compensation and who has never fired one. Compensated models remove muzzle flip, sending recoil straight back into the hand, giving you a faster, more accurate second shot. They make compensators for .22 pistols. Why? Because EVERY caliber fired will generate muzzle flip to some degree.
Old 10-05-2010, 08:53   #23
TedG
Infidel USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc Holliday View Post
Well, good for you.

I don't even want the CHANCE of that happening, if I have to use the gun in a SD situation.

As I said, I prefer everything go out the front, away from me and towards the bad guy.

Become an Organ Donor today: http://donatelife.net/register-now/ Save as many as 50 lives. Thanks.
Old 10-05-2010, 11:05   #24
JTMarlonINC
.40S&W .45ACP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cambo View Post
Spoken by someone who doesn't understand the physics of porting/compensation and who has never fired one. Compensated models remove muzzle flip, sending recoil straight back into the hand, giving you a faster, more accurate second shot. They make compensators for .22 pistols. Why? Because EVERY caliber fired will generate muzzle flip to some degree.
Spoken by someone who owns a compensated (standard size) 9mm....
Old 10-05-2010, 11:44   #25
GunFighter45ACP

I'd have no issues carrying a compensated pistol; provided of course, that it's a reliable, & proven in my hands, quality pistol that I can accurately hit what I'm aiming at with.

To me though, the real question about compensated pistols is not whether or not a real or perceived muzzle flash would cause temporary blindness, is debris blasted up into my eyes/line of sight, etc., the real question to me is, why? If a "C" model is all you've got, or is the one you train the most with, or are the most accurate with, then I'd say sure, go ahead & carry it. But, if the reason why one wants to carry a "C" model is to throw more caliber down range, 'assuming' that a compensated .40 or .45 cal, etc. will recoil like a softer shooting caliber, then I'd say "no": Save your $ or leave the "C" model at home & carry the gun that you're more proficient with".
Lone Star Glockers #85