SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 04-17-2010, 22:59   #1
bac1023

Top of the line range pistol comparison - LONG READ

While a thread like this takes a great deal of time and energy, I thought I'd share my opinions on some higher end range/target pistols, in case somebody is in the market for one. The PMs I gotten over time suggest that there are quite a few people here who appreciate guns like the models in this thread.

Some of these are strictly target/competition pistols, but some others are/were not actually intended for that purpose. However, I feel their overall quality and capabilities make them superb range guns.

While most of these are no longer produced, most are also readily available on the used market. A few of these are still built today, in an age where heavy metal, high quality pistols are fewer and farther between.

I'll also state the obvious and say the following is merely one man's opinion, not fact. I'm going to state some useful facts, such as composition, weight, and action type, but this body of work is based solely on my experience and preferences. Its also limited to my collection, so if your favorite pistol isn't listed, I either don't own it or don't feel it performs in the same class as the others in my hands. Fair enough?

The last thing to mention before starting, is that there are absolutely no 1911s in this test. Many of you know I'm an avid 1911 collector and I've said many times that its my favorite pistol. However, I post plenty about them already. For the sake of this work, they are watching from the sidelines.

The players here are as follows, and I'm going to group them a couple different ways:

First by caliber.

9mm:

Sig X-Five L1
Sig P210-6
Pardini GT-9
S&W PC952
Sphinx Competitor
HK P7M8
Benelli B76
MAB PA-15
Walther P88
Browning HP Competition

40S&W:

HK P7M10
CZ 75 Champion
Beretta 96 Steel I

45ACP:

HK Mark 23
S&W PC945

38 Special:

S&W 52

38 Super:

Tanfoglio Limited

Now by intended purpose.

Race/Competition/Target:

Sig Sauer X-Five L1
Pardini GT-9
Sphinx Competitor
Browning HP Competition
Tanfoglio Limited
S&W 52
CZ 75 Champion

Military/Service:

HK P7M8
Benelli B76
MAB PA-15
Walther P88
HK P7M10
HK Mark 23

Somewhere between:

Sig P210-6
S&W PC952
Beretta 96 Steel I
S&W PC945

Since I'm rating these as range guns, obviously some have a distinct advantage, but I'll get started. All ratings use a 1 to 10 scale, with 10 being the best.

I'll start with 9mms, which is my favorite range caliber.