Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 03-05-2011, 21:47   #1
RickD
Pro-Open Curry

Send a message via AIM to RickD

TBO and the concept of "anti-authority."

The Bad One, in a "drug dog" thread in CopTalk linked below brought up the concept that those who started the "drug dog inaccuracy" threads (to include Jsandi's thread in "Civil Liberties"), countered a theory proposed by another poster suggesting that those that would post such a thought were druggies.

http://glocktalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1324988

TBO countered with:

Quote:
Some of them aren't dopers, just anti-authority, and LE just happens to be the most visible branch of it to target.
I have heard this before, and recall the recent rant of a federal agent claiming that someone was "anti-authority" or words to that effect. So I'm guessing it could be a concept more common in squad rooms than one might suspect.

So, my question is, what is "anti-authority" as it relates to an American Citizen under the Constitution?

Rick
Old 03-05-2011, 22:01   #2
TBO
CLM Number 122
Why so serious?

Rick,

You've defined that quite well yourself (posting history).

"If you have integrity, nothing else matters. If you don't have integrity, nothing else matters".

"A person who won't reason has no advantage over one who can't reason."

"Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored."

“Ignorance is a lot like alcohol: the more you have of it, the less you are able to see its effect on you.”

Originally Posted by Rooster Rugburn:
Didn't the whole sheepdog thing actually start right here on Glock Talk? A bunch of wannabees bought a bunch of T-shirts and took an oath to defend those who won't defend themselves?
TBO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2011, 22:59   #3
NorthCarolinaLiberty
MentalDefective

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickD View Post
So, my question is, what is "anti-authority" as it relates to an American Citizen under the Constitution?

It is somewhat ironic that the law-abiding have been labeled such when they object to general law enforcement sweeps. The real "anti" is often law enforcement that no longer bothers to distinguish between lawbreakers and the law-abiding.

The video below is just one example of the abuse of drug sniffing dogs. The video was made by Terry Bressi, the Arizona man who currently has a pending case.

The border patrol officers in the video are conducting a checkpoint well inside the US border. Terry's case has been pending for several years, so the BP is well aware of his identity. The BP, nevertheless, insists on harassing this man. The BP not only has blatant disregard for the Supreme Court decision that prohibits drug checkpoints, they shamelessly attempt to harass a man who won't bow to their baloney.

The video shows the drug dog circling the car. The dog's claws on the car are just another example of the unprofessional and vindictive behavior of the BP. Skip to 6:45 to view this portion.

This is only one example of the BP blurring the line between drug searches and checking immigration status. The recent court decision in favor of motorist Steven Anderson revealed the nonsense of drug sniffing dogs that miraculoulsy detect the immigration status of motorists and passengers.

It is, in fact, no longer blurring the line. We know who the antis are in this case.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VdDEBT-UoJ0
NorthCarolinaLiberty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2011, 23:13   #4
NorthCarolinaLiberty
MentalDefective

Here is another incident. Dogs are not employed this time, but listen to the border patrol agent as he says, "What do we usually, just *uck with him?"

Skip to about 4:30 to view anti-citizen behavior.

The entire 6 minute video does a good job summarizing what this case is about.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hd3eBXwBSfU

Last edited by NorthCarolinaLiberty; 03-05-2011 at 23:18..
Old 03-06-2011, 00:32   #5
Sam Spade
Lifetime Membership

Quote:
I have heard this before, and recall the recent rant of a federal agent claiming that someone was "anti-authority" or words to that effect. So I'm guessing it could be a concept more common in squad rooms than one might suspect.

Rick
Kinda a complicated question; lots of facets to the same issue, not all of which connect to each other.

In very, very broad terms, authority is what imposes order in a community. That can be parental authority in a family or legal authority in society. A segment of the community chafes under that, wholly happy to cause friction--loss of order--for others as long as they get their way. You might remember the recent WI thread: when the protesters were told, "go ahead and stay" some left. They didn't want to stay in the Capitol as much as they wanted to disrupt order and tranquility. Yet the balance between order and freedom is vital to the health of a society. (Read that last again; the whole "balance" thing is key to my views and this discussion.)

Cops see this every day. They are the visible manifestation of the state's authority and they bear the brunt of the juvenile "what about meeeee" rants. We're the ones telling you to turn down the music, the street is closed, those guys have a right to protest, you've had too much to drink---tons of stuff where you don't get it your way because society has a voice, too.

Remember our thread "Reason on consent searches"? The people, including you, who wanted to curtail LE authority (ability is a better word) to ask permission to search people's stuff? Classic example of what we're discussing here. Another example is the myriad of the "Don't ever talk to the police" threads: obstruction for the sake of obstruction, rationalized as exercising rights. Same thing with the dozens of posters in CI who won't respect a property owner's authority to ban guns because the sign wasn't just so, or they weren't told or concealed means concealed: pure rationalization of their disregard for authority in favor of their personal desires.

I now await the accusations of statism, sure to come from those who don't understand the two-sided nature of any contract, including social contracts. Or maybe they skipped over the part where I said how important balance is.
"To spit on your hands and lower the pike; to stand fast over the body of Leonidas the King; to be rear guard at Kunu-Ri; to stand and be still to the Birkenhead Drill; these are not rational acts. They are often merely necessary." Pournelle

Last edited by Sam Spade; 03-06-2011 at 01:01.. Reason: Stupid auto-correct
Sam Spade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2011, 08:33   #6
RickD
Pro-Open Curry

I wondered if TBO would punt thusly.

Off to a soccer game.
Old 03-06-2011, 08:40   #7
TBO
CLM Number 122
Why so serious?

Quote:
I wondered if TBO would punt thusly.

Off to a soccer game.
Rick,

Take a look at the post above yours.
Secondly, do you have a counter to what I posted, or just a quip?

"If you have integrity, nothing else matters. If you don't have integrity, nothing else matters".

“Ignorance is a lot like alcohol: the more you have of it, the less you are able to see its effect on you.”

Didn't the whole sheepdog thing actually start right here on Glock Talk? A bunch of wannabees bought a bunch of T-shirts and took an oath to defend those who won't defend themselves?
Old 03-06-2011, 10:09   #8
DWARREN123
Grumpy Old Guy

ME!
I am anti everything! Grow up, be responsible and do the right thng, I need no one to tell me what to do or believe.
Old 03-06-2011, 13:21   #9
RickD
Pro-Open Curry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Spade View Post
Kinda a complicated question;
That's why I started the thread. It seems an obtuse accusation.

Quote:
Classic example of what we're discussing here. Another example is the myriad of the "Don't ever talk to the police" threads:
"Don't ever talk to police" is standard defense attorney fare (three in my family and every defense attorney I have ever known would adhere to this utterly commonplace piece of advice). So, in this case, it is a positive thing, correct? You wouldn't chastise an attorney who's professional standards require him to take that tack -- and the laymen who practice it on their own?

Quote:
obstruction for the sake of obstruction,
The defense attorney would say that this is a commonplace exercise of basic rights. Your (or is it a common LEO assumption) position (opinion) that it is "obstruction for the sake of obstruction" isn't well supported.

Quote:
pure rationalization of their disregard for authority in favor of their personal desires.
Perhaps, (I won't argue the point at this time because sometimes those in authority are arguably evil --Jim Crow, 'Death Panels,'), but what does that have to do with linking a charge of "anti-authority" with the mere posting of a thread topic? You described and overt act (disobeying the intent of a sign) vs expressing an opinion (posting thoughts or linking a contrarian study on a forum). The acts seems to lack equivalency, and I question the over-wrought reaction to the latter.
Old 03-06-2011, 13:23   #10
RickD
Pro-Open Curry

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheeBadOne View Post
Rick, Secondly, do you have a counter to what I posted, or just a quip?
I'm not about to go chasing links to threads. If you have something to say, say it here.
Old 03-06-2011, 13:34   #11
TBO
CLM Number 122
Why so serious?

Quote:
That's why I started the thread. It seems an obtuse accusation.

"Don't ever talk to police" is standard defense attorney fare (three in my family and every defense attorney I have ever known would adhere to this utterly commonplace piece of advice). So, in this case, it is a positive thing, correct? You wouldn't chastise an attorney who's professional standards require him to take that tack -- and the laymen who practice it on their own?

The defense attorney would say that this is a commonplace exercise of basic rights. Your (or is it a common LEO assumption) position (opinion) that it is "obstruction for the sake of obstruction" isn't well supported.

Perhaps, (I won't argue the point at this time because sometimes those in authority are arguably evil --Jim Crow, 'Death Panels,'),
but what does that have to do with linking a charge of "anti-authority" with the mere posting of a thread topic? You described and overt act (disobeying the intent of a sign) vs expressing an opinion (posting thoughts or linking a contrarian study on a forum). The acts seems to lack equivalency, and I question the over-wrought reaction to the latter.
Everything, when the context has been well established by the posters long consistent history.

I believe even the most genuinely obtuse poster understands that concept.

Old 03-06-2011, 13:42   #12
Sam Spade
Lifetime Membership

Rick, you need to look at the bigger picture. While some people filed ethics complaints out of honest concern, there's no doubt whatsoever that other filed on Palin purely as an attack. Pointing to people who're concerned doesn't negate the attacks.

Likewise, just because not talking to cops is often wise exercise of one's rights the instances of obstruction based on dislike of authority can't be wished away.

And many posters bring up stuff that is troubling, looking to exchange ideas or learn something. Others are simply anti-authority, playing "gotchya" even as they play with the truth.

Nowhere did TBO lump all posters into the anti-authority mememe crowd. That doesn't mean that those who fall there need to be given a pass on their bias.
"To spit on your hands and lower the pike; to stand fast over the body of Leonidas the King; to be rear guard at Kunu-Ri; to stand and be still to the Birkenhead Drill; these are not rational acts. They are often merely necessary." Pournelle
Old 03-06-2011, 14:14   #13
RickD
Pro-Open Curry

I have no problem with "bias," if they can back it up. Chris Matthews is biased one way -- if he can back it up, fine. Hannity the other, same applies.
Old 03-06-2011, 14:45   #14
Sam Spade
Lifetime Membership

So is it your assertion that there isn't a streak of anti-authoritarianism to be found on these boards? Or are you just asking what constitutes that streak?
Old 03-06-2011, 15:56   #15
RickD
Pro-Open Curry

Wrong on both.

I want to know that "anti-authoriatism" is.
Old 03-06-2011, 17:31   #16
RussP

Quote:
Wrong on both.

What holds society together, Rick?

"Comment is free, but facts are sacred." C.P. Scott, 1921
RussP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2011, 17:52   #17
RickD
Pro-Open Curry

That's an interesting question... should I start a new thread for you?

I'd just like an answer to my original question, though.
Old 03-06-2011, 17:56   #18
RickD
Pro-Open Curry

Here ya go, Russ.

http://glocktalk.com/forums/showthre...5#post16997415
Old 03-06-2011, 18:31   #19
Sam Spade
Lifetime Membership

Quote:
Wrong on both.

Post 5.
Old 03-06-2011, 19:01   #20
NorthCarolinaLiberty
MentalDefective

I look at the definition of anti-authority in a larger historical context. I believe that it once stood for a liberalism (totally different from today’s liberalism) grounded in valued qualities like individualism. It almost disappeared as quickly as we wrested it from Britain, as some of the founding fathers had to fight for basics like the Bill of Rights. Leaders like Jefferson and Jackson could even be described as anti-authority, even while serving as president.

This liberalism slowly degenerated into an insidious statism that enveloped the country with each passing decade. It became so entrenched that people’s criticisms are now often described as fringe. Anyone who describes the complexities of the Civil War beyond the popular slavery explanation must be a moon shining rebel. Those who criticize social security retirement benefits must be uncaring towards our seniors. Anyone who ever invokes the fourth amendment must be a criminal loving hippy from the 1960s.

It is unfortunate that some view anti-authority as people who question the actions, or even existence, of organizations like the TSA. If someone questions the existence of checkpoints, then they must be for drunks and illegals. Questioning zero tolerance, of course, must mean that you’re a rule breaker with something to hide.

It’s also too bad that things like TV and pop culture notions of balance have become the benchmark for evaluating the health of a society. Today’s world means that the person questioning anything might have an attitude and is probably due for some re-educating. Certainly the CSI watching audience on GlockTalk has accurately pegged the sociopathic GT members.

Time will tell if the U.S. has reached its peak and is on its way out. If that happens, it won’t be because of popular explanations regarding crime and antisocial behavior. Crime rises and falls over time, and its overall impact on contemporary society is insignificant. The OP mentioned the US Constitution. If we continue to ignore amendments like the 4th, 8th, and 10th, then we’ll certainly be on our way out.