SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 03-21-2011, 12:29   #1
DaBigBR
No Infidels!

Another Jumpsuit Thread...

Since I'm having trouble finding the old jumpsuit threads, I'll have to start a new one.

My current issue of uniforms are on their last legs. They have made it approximately 27 months, which is all the more I ever expected out of them. Right now they are serviceable, but within a couple of months, they're going to fall apart. BTDT.

I got permission (gasp!) to go the Bratwear jumpsuit route. I have emailed Bratwear a handful of questions but wanted to get some non-corporate opinions:

1) How long do these things last? I can get two jumpsuits for about $100 more than three standard sets of uniforms. They would be worn for one twelve hour shift and washed. I will NOT do more than one day without washing. Period.

2) What kind of lead times should I expect? Threads on other forums seem to indicate between a few weeks and a few months.

3) Any tips, tricks, hints, or suggestions for placing an order?

-David Simon in "Homicide"
DaBigBR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2011, 13:30   #2
Mayhem like Me
Semper Paratus

You K9?

and have you ever worn a jumpsuit for duty?

We had custom nomex/lycra jumpsuits made for us years ago.. mine sits in a closet so does everyone elses...
Old 03-21-2011, 13:49   #3
DaBigBR
No Infidels!

Not K9. Never worn a jumpsuit for duty. Never read a bad review of Bratwear.

Old 03-21-2011, 14:01   #4
Mayhem like Me
Semper Paratus

The problem is if you are athletic built or nonstandard, tall/short ....

If having cameltoe and other issues in the groinal region are not a problem for you when running jumping or climbing .. then go for it.

For me they just did not work. gunbelt issues as well with keeping it where you want it.
Old 03-21-2011, 14:05   #5
CAcop

Quote:
Originally Posted by swatbwana View Post
The problem is if you are athletic built or nonstandard, tall/short ....

If having cameltoe and other issues in the groinal region are not a problem for you when running jumping or climbing .. then go for it.

For me they just did not work. gunbelt issues as well with keeping it where you want it.
Before I got to my department jumpsuits were the crowd control uniform. Mantoe was a significant problem for many. Knowing me with my long torso and short legs for my height I would be hurting.
I wonder if your assessment of "The Wizard of Oz" would sound something like "A teenaged orphan runs away with three psychotic AD/HD patients and a little dog. She kills the first two women she meets." --Sinecure 07/03/2006
Freakin' awsome!! Kickin it old school. Hot sheet on the dash. The report was probably only two sentences. Long live Rencko and Bobbie Hill!--WhiskeyT
CAcop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2011, 14:19   #6
Cochese
CLM Number 209
Most mackinest

Bratwear has about 13 measurements to prevent man-toe. Sundown sent me his 5 year old BW jumpsuit to test/evaluate with my last agency. It still looked new and was worn often or the preferring 5 years.

Did I mention I am jealous?
Old 03-21-2011, 14:33   #7
Mayhem like Me
Semper Paratus

Mine was Bratwear.. yup they work for some but in tactical situations, like SWAT or K9 get into the mantoe issue can be problematic...

I noticed it in Climbing running situations more than anything else, at least with BDU's you have the torso separation that allows more freedom of movement.
Old 03-21-2011, 14:36   #8
Morris
CLM Number
Charter Lifetime Member

I wear Bratwear and have done so for nearly 7 years, full-time.

1) Your jumpsuits, with normal wear and tear, will easily last you three years. I rotate mine every two year (buying a new one, that is) due to summer sweats, blackberry snags, etc. I've had shoulder patches wear out before the jumpsuit did.

2) Jumpsuits are about 2-5 months right now, depending on order volumes, the extras you want, etc. My last suit, ordered last fall, was to me in about one month. And that was with the rep driving up to remeasure (ahem! coughfatsocough) again. New vest, yeah, that's it! Order with a longer crotch area. Helps out immensely when you are doing some dynamic movements, climbing, etc.

3) You can literally customize the jumpsuit anyway you want. For example, My jumpsuit has a "mandarin style" (ala ACU shirt collar) throat, zippered underarms, TASER pocket, dual pen pockets, pockets at the knees for my gloves and VPOK, etc. The additions add to the cost but some are definitely worth it. The zip off sleeves are standard but worth it.

4) In my environment up here, I find the summer weight to be just fine. If colder, I can layer underneath. The winter weight is great for Alaska and the high winter Rockies, bit much for everywhere else.

5) Bratwear is an outstanding company. They really stand behind their product. I sent in a jumpsuit to have a tab added to the front for the new body worn camera. Tab added and sent back at no cost and within a week (pays to be about 45 mins away, though).

If you have any other questions, PM me I can send you some other information or photos.

Certified Glock Armorer
Certified M&P Armorer

Say NO! to Washington I-594

Last edited by Morris; 03-21-2011 at 14:37..
Morris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2011, 15:15   #9
DaBigBR
No Infidels!

Thanks for the replies so far.

I am inclined to order with standard cargo pocket (like some of the cargo pocket uniform pants) and sap pocket on each leg. Not sure about the torso side and not sure about anything beyond that.

I'm 5'8" and about 170-175, so I'm not "unusual" sized other than being on the short side. Still waiting to hear back from Bratwear. I'll probably have a couple different people take the measurements independtly and compare since I'm not going to be able to stop in and place an order.

Old 03-21-2011, 17:17   #10
lndshark

BR,

What justification did the higher-up's ask for when you approached them? I'm thinking about taking the leap, piss-ant reserve that I am, but I know the management types will be asking the "why's" and "what for's." I work in a small town but we're surrounded by farms, woods and a river that has plenty of thorny, thatch to snag, rip and tear uniforms.

Morris, Bratwear is just down in Fife, aren't they? I may have to take a ride down there this summer and get fitted, pending approval, of course....

I guess my question is, do these have regular belt loops to thread an under belt through, or to they utilize a different system of using keepers for your duty belt?
lndshark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2011, 17:49   #11
Morris
CLM Number
Charter Lifetime Member

Yep, in Fife and Sally and her folks will take care of you. They will size you all ways. They prefer a vest but if you need to borrow something, give me a buzz when you are up.

I have a total of four loops large enough for the inner belt to slip through. I should take some photos and post them here.

Certified Glock Armorer
Certified M&P Armorer

Last edited by Morris; 03-21-2011 at 17:49..
Old 03-21-2011, 18:06   #12
Cochese
CLM Number 209
Most mackinest

Morris, if you can post an s-load of decent quality pictures to help my proposal, I would be forever greatful.

Last edited by Cochese; 03-21-2011 at 18:06..
Cochese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2011, 18:28   #13
CGMK

bigBR, I have a black Ackerman jumpsuit that is almost new; I've never used it for duty because I already had one that I was using. A deputy that came out of detectives found that it shrank during his assignment away from patrol.

If your around 5'8" and UNDER 150lbs I'll let you have it for keeps. The back retractable panel is marked SHERIFF. You have first dibs, then it's going to the sticky pass along gear thread.
CGMK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2011, 20:35   #14
DaBigBR
No Infidels!

Quote:
Originally Posted by lndshark View Post
What justification did the higher-up's ask for when you approached them?
I just asked and was told to go ahead. It's more of a curse than a blessing, because such an approach does not apply just to uniforms.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CGMK View Post
bigBR, I have a black Ackerman jumpsuit that is almost new; I've never used it for duty because I already had one that I was using. A deputy that came out of detectives found that it shrank during his assignment away from patrol.

If your around 5'8" and UNDER 150lbs I'll let you have it for keeps. The back retractable panel is marked SHERIFF. You have first dibs, then it's going to the sticky pass along gear thread.
I haven't been under one-fitty since I was in junior high school. I appreciate the offer, though.

Old 03-22-2011, 15:57   #15
Morris
CLM Number
Charter Lifetime Member

Tomorrow for ya . . . will be my "retired" suits

Certified Glock Armorer
Certified M&P Armorer

Old 03-22-2011, 16:00   #16
Cochese
CLM Number 209
Most mackinest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morris View Post
Tomorrow for ya . . . will be my "retired" suits
Old 03-22-2011, 17:11   #17
lndshark

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morris View Post
Yep, in Fife and Sally and her folks will take care of you. They will size you all ways. They prefer a vest but if you need to borrow something, give me a buzz when you are up.

I have a total of four loops large enough for the inner belt to slip through. I should take some photos and post them here.
Thank you, sir. I'll be phoning you sometime in July.
Old 03-22-2011, 17:12   #18
lndshark

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cochese View Post
Morris, if you can post an s-load of decent quality pictures to help my proposal, I would be forever greatful.

Yeah, what he said!
Old 03-22-2011, 17:16   #19
lndshark

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaBigBR View Post
I just asked and was told to go ahead. It's more of a curse than a blessing, because such an approach does not apply just to uniforms.
I'm going to try this. I've never flown in a lead balloon before, though.

We do have a Sgt. whom I rarely see but when I do, he's ALWAYS sporting some type of jumpsuit with our muted patches and sewn-on name tag and badge. It's DEFINATELY NOT a Bratwear or Blumenthal so I'll have to start being a pest and see what the deal is...

Thanks BR.
Old 03-22-2011, 17:40   #20
Goldendog Redux
Shut your mouth

I have a winter jumpsuit rolled up in the rafters of my garage. I hate the thing. Some genius Sgt. looked at me the other day as the rest of my shift, looking like smashed blueberries in their sweet nylon jumpsuits and said to me "You know it's snowing outside." I advised him I was aware of the current weather.]

The Blauer street gear I wear is only marginally better. Man, I am just never happy.

MF