Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 02-21-2011, 13:27   #1
mdt62

5.7 x 28mm usage

I'm a little new to this caliber and looking to learn from those who have actully fired it. I know many LEO around the world are using this, which should be testimate enough, but how does 5.7 stack up as a defensive caliber? Where does it rank among the more common calibers? School me.
mdt62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 16:35   #2
mdt62

bump?
mdt62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2011, 20:49   #3
STLGLK

One of the most accurate with lack of recoil rounds you'll ever fire! Love my PS90 and Five-seveN. You may want to check out a couple of the FN or Five-seveN forums for more info.
Old 03-16-2011, 09:33   #4
TN.Frank
Mad Hatter

Seems like it fills the roll where the 9x19mm isn't quite enough but the 5.56x45mm is a bit too much. I'd love to have a PS90 and Five-seveN set, think that'd be the peak of the "cool" factor for modern guns.
Old 03-24-2011, 23:20   #5
NG VI

I don't think that many law enforcement agencies are using it, but it's pretty cool. Good for someone who needs a little more point-blank range than your typical pistol caliber but doesn't want the size, weight, or blast of a full-on .223.
Sub Club #180
NG VI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2014, 08:11   #6
hunter won

The newer MKII 5.7 x 28 mm is used by the Secret Service President detail. The Five Seven is used by many LE agencies around the world. The FNH MKII has replaced the original USG model. The pistol is selling new for over $1200 at gun shops now.
The Five Seven is a fun gun to shoot. It makes a great self defense pistol for the recoil sensitive people.
hunter won is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2014, 06:35   #7
JuneyBooney

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdt62 View Post
I'm a little new to this caliber and looking to learn from those who have actully fired it. I know many LEO around the world are using this, which should be testimate enough, but how does 5.7 stack up as a defensive caliber? Where does it rank among the more common calibers? School me.
The rifle shooting this caliber is far superior to the pistol. The round has low recoil and is similar to a 22 magnum. I have two and love them but other than their velocity I would say they are not as good as a 357 magnum round for defensive purposes. In a rifle though they are much less challenged as a round.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

Cool songs:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

Cool car:
JuneyBooney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2014, 10:23   #8
tenforme

OP I think you may struggle to get many meaningful responses to your question. On this forum weapons from the 1980's are only begrudgingly viewed as acceptable alternatives to relics from the end of the 1800's.

You are correct though, many non-US police forces have or are switching to the platform. Its also widely accepted by agencies (Us and non-US) that need the ability to defeat body armor. For the civilian shooter that last point is completely moot though, as the armor piecing versions are both unavailable and illegal for civilian use. The non-armor piercing stuff is going to struggle when compared to what's available in the civilian market.
tenforme is offline   Reply With Quote