Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 04-07-2011, 09:57   #1
James Dean

Sig P238 What do you guys think?

I saw some videos some good some bad. The new p238 seem to be better. Anyone have one?
James Dean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2011, 20:06   #2
ImpeachObama
Fuhgettaboutit

Mine was made in Oct 2010. No problems. I needed to oil it a little and found what ammo it liked. My favorite gun just because it is so cool. I have others that are much bigger, I just like the P238 as my favorite factor. I have the Equinox.
ImpeachObama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2011, 20:12   #3
Brandon G

I love mine, its an awesome gun. only complaint i have is that the finish on the black pistol isn't that tough. I carry mine every where and its starting to show signs of hoster wear only after about 6 months. but other than that its a awesome tool to have
Brandon G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2011, 13:02   #4
Scamp
Geaux Tigers!

I have one made in May 2010, and have been real happy with it.
I had a few (4 or 5) feeding problems at first, I called SIG and had them send me the new flat wire recoil spring. I also bought two of the newer (3rd gen?) mags. Since then I have about 200rds through it with not one feeding issue!
I also use the original magazine at the range, and don't have any problems with it, but I carry it with the newer mags.
Scamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2011, 17:58   #5
James Dean

Have any of you used Speer 90gr JHP's ?
Old 04-12-2011, 19:00   #6
ImpeachObama
Fuhgettaboutit

I would think the Speer's would work just fine. I use them in 9 and 40.
ImpeachObama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2011, 20:41   #7
bac1023

I never liked the P238.
bac1023 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2011, 08:48   #8
James Dean

Quote:
Originally Posted by bac1023 View Post
I never liked the P238.
Why???
Old 04-17-2011, 08:56   #9
Warhorse

Caliber wars?

9mm is the smallest pistol caliber I carry for defense, .38 Spl is the smallest revolver cartridge I carry for defense.
Sig Sauer Club #814
Rimfire Club #814
J Frame Snubbie Club #814
Warhorse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2011, 18:16   #10
IrvJr

I just bought one. It was made in March of this year. I like it a lot. I've only shot 88 rounds through it but it's been flawless so far.

It's really well made and it shoots well too, in spite of it's tiny size.

I had heard some mixed reviews with some people having very negative experiences with their guns. However, these guns seem to be very popular at my local shop. They had a bunch out on display when i first started shopping around for a P238. I came back a week later and 2 or 3 of them were already sold. The clerk said that it was a fairly popular item. I'm guessing that Sig has ironed out the bugs with these pistols. They've been in production for a while now.

It's a really cool gun. I was originally looking at a Kel Tec P32 and a Ruger LCP, but I opted for the P238. It seems like a more durable pocket pistol and it's almost the same size as the LCP. Also, it is very comfortable to shoot the all metal pistol. The recoil is really light and it's easy to rack the slide on the little P238. The sights are nice and visible, and the gun is really nicely finished.

Last edited by IrvJr; 04-19-2011 at 18:16..
IrvJr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2011, 16:05   #11
MikePapa1

I love mine. It's the second one I've owned and I've loved them both. It likes to be cleaned and lubed to fire well consistently. The only problem I hear people complaining of regularly is failure to eject, which based on my observations generally occurs because their gun is dirty. I carry mine regularly cocked and locked in an RKBA pocket holster as a BU to my Sig 220.
MikePapa1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2011, 09:35   #12
G36_Me

I bought one for my birthday this year. (wife is awesome) I got it because of the 1911 like feel and wanted the 'best' I could find.

My emotions are a bit mixed.
1. Love the feel of the gun.
2. the sights that came on it are perfect for me. Wide enough, dots show up well, accurate on target. Metal and seem very sturdy.
3. shoots like a demon!! accurate as can be, stable, recoil very good
4. size is awesome
5. holster that came with the gun is great

now to the mixed part of the evaluation
for the price of the gun... I expect perfection.
The trigger has a bit of grit to it, but I'm an old target shooter and sensitive to this. The trigger is fit for purpose, but I'd like it to be a bit smoother and a bit lighter. When it does break, it's a clean break.

I've had a few no primer strikes and a few light primer strikes. I talked to Sig and of course they gave me the, "what kind of ammo are you using crap". I'd buy that in the light primer strike world, but not in the no primer strike world. I'm sure there is something that is at issue in the firing pin channel with the firing pin block/safety that is not as clean. They said they'd fix it any time if the issue continued, so I'm continuing to shoot it and hope it smooths out and becomes reliable.

In summary, I'm madly in love with the looks, feel and shootability (is that a word?) of the gun. I don't have the confidence to carry it yet. This is my first Sig.
Glock Professional Instructor
NRA Certified Pistol Instructor

Last edited by G36_Me; 04-29-2011 at 09:37..
G36_Me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2011, 20:22   #13
Snak3

I had a 238 Rosewood, recent production, that I was very happy with. Zero malfunctions after 200 rounds. It was going to be my primary CCW piece, but I opted for the Kahr PM9 simply because of .380 ammo cost and because I reload 9mm.

Great little gun though IMO.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
Snak3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2011, 12:00   #14
Lester R. Britton

I've had one now for about a year and it's great. No problems whatsoever. It slips right into my pocet (in a pocket holster from El Paso Saddelry) and you'd never know it was there. The only thing that bothers me lately is that the .380 just isn't a stopper. It's fine for carrying with summer clothing and all but in the winter I wonder if it would penetrate heavy clothing. I hope never to find out, but I carry my S&W J frame in the winter. But, the Sig feels great, shoots great and I like it.
Old 04-30-2011, 13:37   #15
IrvJr

I put another 200 rounds through my little P238 again yesterday. I really like this gun. I've ordered a pocket holster from Woolfe holsters for this little gun. It's surprisingly accurate for such a tiny gun. It takes some getting used to the small grip, but i was able to shoot the gun rapidfire and still keep the shots on a 4" target at 25 feet.
Old 05-20-2011, 11:42   #16
jbone84

I bought a P238 about two months ago, probably have 150 rds through it to date. No FTFs, FTEs, light or no primer strikes. Carries comfortably in my Desantis Nemesis, but would like to try some IWB/OWB options. Any suggestions for IWB in particular?

Also, I only have the one factory magazine. Anyone have luck with aftermarket magazines? I have heard some not so great FTF stories from aftermarket mags with this one, but am a bit hesitant to start to shell out $45 a magazine for the Sig ones if there are other options out there.

TIA.
jbone84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2011, 12:56   #17
IrvJr

jbone84 - i haven't tried any aftermarket mags in my P238, but I bought some Sig mags from Top Gun Supply for a cheaper price than Sig. Also, for an IWB holster, I got a Desantis Cozy Partner for the P238 (Cozy Partner 028). It's a really comfortable, well-made, conceable holster. The P238 is so thin and light and a breeze to carry.

I just put over 250 rounds through my P238 again this past week. What a great little pistol!
Old 05-20-2011, 20:08   #18
jbone84

Quote:
Originally Posted by IrvJr View Post
jbone84 - i haven't tried any aftermarket mags in my P238, but I bought some Sig mags from Top Gun Supply for a cheaper price than Sig. Also, for an IWB holster, I got a Desantis Cozy Partner for the P238 (Cozy Partner 028). It's a really comfortable, well-made, conceable holster. The P238 is so thin and light and a breeze to carry.

I just put over 250 rounds through my P238 again this past week. What a great little pistol!
I appreciate the advice - I will check out Top Gun Supply and also the Cozy Partner from Desantis.

I look forward to putting another couple hundred rounds through mine as well.
Old 05-20-2011, 20:29   #19
jbone84

Quote:
Originally Posted by bac1023 View Post
I never liked the P238.
Quote:
Originally Posted by James Dean View Post
Why???
I would also like to know why.

Next up: Glock 19, Glock 17
Old 05-22-2011, 18:55   #20
xaman

I love mine. It had some issues early on, but a trip back to Sig on their dime fixed it. It's been flawless since returning.

It's a blast to shoot, and it's SO easy to carry IWB, and decent in a pocket.

Last edited by xaman; 05-22-2011 at 18:57..
xaman is offline   Reply With Quote