Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 05-07-2011, 18:51   #1
mervstump

National Right-to-Carry Reciprocity Act of 2011

This bill (HR 822) was introduced by Cliff Stearns in February of this year. It essentially requires that any state which allows concealed carry recognize concealed carry permits from all other states. There may be a few issues with it but on the whole it sounds good. I just checked the status of the bill and it currently has 200 co-sponsors so it just may have a chance. Write your congressman. BTW you can check the status of the bill (and find out if your congressman is a sponsor at: http://thomas.loc.gov/cgi-bin/bdquer...112HR.lst:@@@X

Merv
mervstump is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2011, 04:53   #2
TangoFoxtrot
OIF 04-05

Already did! But I don't think it stands a chance in hell.
TangoFoxtrot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2011, 04:57   #3
firefighter4215

I'd like to see it pass, but hasn't this been introduced and failed several times in the past?
firefighter4215 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2011, 05:50   #4
RussP

Quote:
Originally Posted by mervstump View Post
This bill (HR 822) was introduced by Cliff Stearns in February of this year. It essentially requires that any state which allows concealed carry recognize concealed carry permits from all other states. There may be a few issues with it but on the whole it sounds good. I just checked the status of the bill and it currently has 200 co-sponsors so it just may have a chance. Write your congressman. BTW you can check the status of the bill (and find out if your congressman is a sponsor at: http://thomas.loc.gov/cgi-bin/bdquer...112HR.lst:@@@X

Merv
What do you see as the issues with it?

"Comment is free, but facts are sacred." C.P. Scott, 1921
RussP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2011, 06:08   #5
RussP

H.R.822 -- National Right-to-Carry Reciprocity Act of 2011 (Introduced in House - IH)

HR 822 IH

112th CONGRESS
1st Session

H. R. 822
To amend title 18, United States Code, to provide a national standard in accordance with which nonresidents of a State may carry concealed firearms in the State.

IN THE HOUSE OF REPRESENTATIVES
February 18, 2011

Mr. STEARNS (for himself and Mr. SHULER) introduced the following bill; which was referred to the Committee on the Judiciary

A BILL
To amend title 18, United States Code, to provide a national standard in accordance with which nonresidents of a State may carry concealed firearms in the State.

Be it enacted by the Senate and House of Representatives of the United States of America in Congress assembled,

SECTION 1. SHORT TITLE.

This Act may be cited as the `National Right-to-Carry Reciprocity Act of 2011'.

SEC. 2. FINDINGS.

The Congress finds the following:

(1) The Second Amendment to the Constitution of the United States protects the fundamental right of an individual to keep and bear arms, including for purposes of individual self-defense.

(2) The Supreme Court of the United States has recognized this right in the case of District of Columbia v. Heller, and in the case of McDonald v. City of Chicago, has recognized that the right is protected against State infringement by the Fourteenth Amendment to the Constitution of the United States.

(3) The Congress has the power to pass legislation to protect against infringement of all rights protected under the Fourteenth Amendment to the Constitution of the United States.

(4) The right to bear arms includes the right to carry arms for self-defense and the defense of others.

(5) The Congress has enacted legislation of national scope authorizing the carrying of concealed firearms by qualified active and retired law enforcement officers.

(6) Forty-eight States provide by statute for the issuance to individuals of permits to carry concealed firearms, or allow the carrying of concealed firearms for lawful purposes without the need for a permit.

(7) The overwhelming majority of individuals who exercise the right to carry firearms in their own States and other States have proven to be law-abiding, and such carrying has been demonstrated to provide crime prevention or crime resistance benefits for the licensees and for others.

(8) The Congress finds that preventing the lawful carrying of firearms by individuals who are traveling outside their home State interferes with the constitutional right of interstate travel, and harms interstate commerce.

(9) Among the purposes of this Act is the protection of the rights, privileges, and immunities guaranteed to a citizen of the United States by the Fourteenth Amendment to the Constitution of the United States.

(10) The Congress, therefore, should provide for national recognition, in States that issue to their own citizens licenses or permits to carry concealed handguns, of other State permits or licenses to carry concealed handguns.

SEC. 3. RECIPROCITY FOR THE CARRYING OF CERTAIN CONCEALED FIREARMS.

(a) In General- Chapter 44 of title 18, United States Code, is amended by inserting after section 926C the following:

`Sec. 926D. Reciprocity for the carrying of certain concealed firearms

`(a) Notwithstanding any provision of the law of any State or political subdivision thereof, related to the carrying or transportation of firearms, a person who is not prohibited by Federal law from possessing, transporting, shipping, or receiving a firearm, and who is carrying a government-issued photographic identification document and a valid license or permit which is issued pursuant to the law of a State and which permits the person to carry a concealed firearm, may carry a concealed handgun (other than a machinegun or destructive device) that has been shipped or transported in interstate or foreign commerce, in any State, other than the State of residence of the person, that--

`(1) has a statute that allows residents of the State to obtain licenses or permits to carry concealed firearms; or

`(2) does not prohibit the carrying of concealed firearms by residents of the State for lawful purposes.

`(b) A person carrying a concealed handgun under this section shall be permitted to carry a handgun subject to the same conditions or limitations that apply to residents of the State who have permits issued by the State or are otherwise lawfully allowed to do so by the State.

`(c) In a State that allows the issuing authority for licenses or permits to carry concealed firearms to impose restrictions on the carrying of firearms by individual holders of such licenses or permits, a firearm shall be carried according to the same terms authorized by an unrestricted license or permit issued to a resident of the State.

`(d) Nothing in this section shall be construed to preempt any provision of State law with respect to the issuance of licenses or permits to carry concealed firearms.'.

(b) Clerical Amendment- The table of sections for such chapter is amended by inserting after the item relating to section 926C the following:

`926D. Reciprocity for the carrying of certain concealed firearms.'.

(c) Severability- Notwithstanding any other provision of this Act, if any provision of this section, or any amendment made by this section, or the application of such provision or amendment to any person or circumstance is held to be unconstitutional, this section and amendments made by this section and the application of such provision or amendment to other persons or circumstances shall not be affected thereby.

(d) Effective Date- The amendments made by this section shall take effect 90 days after the date of the enactment of this Act.

Old 05-08-2011, 06:09   #6
glock30user

Quote:
Originally Posted by RussP View Post
What do you see as the issues with it?
As much as I would enjoy being to carry anywhere…it is a violation of states rights.
No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms. The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government.
Thomas Jefferson
glock30user is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2011, 06:32   #7
Darqnezz
Alive

I like it.
SEMPER FI
Darqnezz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2011, 06:38   #8
firemedic1343
Not an Expert!

Quote:
Originally Posted by glock30user View Post
As much as I would enjoy being to carry anywhere…it is a violation of states rights.
Yeah, and blanket refusal of a persons right to bear arms is a violation of ones constitutional right.
Old 05-08-2011, 06:41   #9
snubfan
Giant Member

This is a horrible thing and we do not want it to happen! Be careful what you wish for...let the states handle this.

Last edited by snubfan; 05-08-2011 at 06:41..
snubfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2011, 06:44   #10
HexHead

Quote:
How do you figure? State's have to recognize other state's drivers and marriage licenses.

Last edited by HexHead; 05-08-2011 at 06:45..
HexHead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2011, 06:47   #11
joker42179

Quote:
Originally Posted by HexHead View Post
How do you figure? State's have to recognize other state's drivers and marriage licenses.

this.....
Sig Sauer Club Member #553
Tactical Shotgun Club Member #1014

Quote:
Originally Posted by TylerDurden View Post
I don't have any out of the way places big enough for my ego.
joker42179 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2011, 07:15   #12
snubfan
Giant Member

What about when the .gov starts throwing in a few "common sense" requirements or blanket restrictions. How would you like a national ten round mag limit or no carry of those "cop killer" hollow points? No church carry?(Which is a restiction in my state but not in all.) National age requirement of 23 to get a permit.(like Missouri, I believe) Just a few here to start but I'm sure we could come up with more.

If you want to push for something at the national level, push for National Constitutional Carry.

Last edited by snubfan; 05-08-2011 at 07:18..
Old 05-08-2011, 07:55   #13
RussP

Quote:
Originally Posted by snubfan View Post
What about when the .gov starts throwing in a few "common sense" requirements or blanket restrictions. How would you like a national ten round mag limit or no carry of those "cop killer" hollow points? No church carry?(Which is a restiction in my state but not in all.) National age requirement of 23 to get a permit.(like Missouri, I believe) Just a few here to start but I'm sure we could come up with more.
It would not be if that would happen, but how soon.
Quote:
Originally Posted by snubfan View Post
If you want to push for something at the national level, push for National Constitutional Carry.
Anything legislated can be amended. And, for certain, the Judicial Branch would be working overtime "interpreting" the law.

Old 05-08-2011, 07:58   #14
The Machinist
No Compromise

Quote:
That was my immediate thought, but then again, states don't have a right to strip the lawful among us of our right to carry concealed.
Old 05-08-2011, 08:05   #15
BailRecoveryAgent
Rude Member

As much as I like the idea of national reciprocity, I'd also like the federal government to have less control over matters of the state. Like snubfan said, magazine and ammo restrictions and such would also likely be implimented by the govt again, and we all remember 1994-2004.

If there was language in the legislation that prevented the govt from implementing such nationwide restrictions, and just made the carriers abide by each individual states laws of which wording for is already in it, then I think it would be much better.

I like my Washington State gun laws and don't want to be forced to abide by California/Massachusets/NY/NJ type laws in my home state 51 weeks out of the year so that I can carry on vacation for one.
BailRecoveryAgent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2011, 09:08   #16
Dragoon44
Lifetime Membership
Unfair Facist

Quote:
States do not have to recognize drivers licenses from other states. They do so through a voluntary interstate compact not because of any federal law.

Though how "voluntary" it was is questionable since The federal Govt. threatened to withhold highway funds from any state that did not "voluntarily" join into the compact.
Old 05-08-2011, 09:10   #17
Dragoon44
Lifetime Membership
Unfair Facist

Issues like this reveal who really believes in rights and who just wants to get their way regardless of the cost.

The same people that bemoan an overreaching federal Govt. when that Govt. does something they don't like suddenly become ardent Federalists when that same govt. will give them what they want.
Old 05-08-2011, 09:52   #18
snubfan
Giant Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RussP View Post
It would not be if that would happen, but how soon.Anything legislated can be amended. And, for certain, the Judicial Branch would be working overtime "interpreting" the law.
I should have explained myself better on my Constitutional carry comment. My understanding of the states that have it is that they basicly acknowledge the second amendment for what it is. It would be nice if every state and the fed could do the same but until then each state doing their own thing is working. A lot of good progress has been made at the state level with ccw in the last 15-20 years. Any involvement by the fed at this point would only screw that progress up IMHO.

Last edited by snubfan; 05-08-2011 at 10:18..
Old 05-08-2011, 11:53   #19
kensteele

Quote:
I believe that states got together and all decided to recognise each other's DL, so they did it on their own without have been told to by the Federal gvt.

If the states would all come together on the CCW permit, that would be great.
kensteele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2011, 11:58   #20
kensteele

Currently I'm on the fence with this one, need to think about it a bit more. If I were selfish, I would say I get to carry exactly the way I want 95% of the time. If I were thinking about the gun community, way too many people under too many restrictions with the present system.
kensteele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2011, 12:00   #21
IndyGunFreak
RIP My Friends

Send a message via ICQ to IndyGunFreak Send a message via AIM to IndyGunFreak Send a message via MSN to IndyGunFreak Send a message via Yahoo to IndyGunFreak Send a message via Skype™ to IndyGunFreak

This matter is best left to the states to handle.

IGF
The fire is no longer my major concern since I am leaving immediately on an unexpected road trip to Indianapolis. Watch the national news over the next couple of days, I'll wave... well, only if I'm cuffed in the front.
RIP Jack
IndyGunFreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2011, 12:02   #22
A6Gator

Quote:
Kinda like Obama-care?

While driver's licenses and marriages are privileges, this would provide an interesting 2A question. Are states not doing this "infringing?"

Last edited by A6Gator; 05-08-2011 at 12:20..
A6Gator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2011, 12:18   #23
BlackDobe

Would I love it if all 50 states reciprocated by recognizing CFL from any state? Absolutely! We are not too far from that already.

My big concern is if this were mandated by the federal government then how long before the license itself becomes issued by the same federal government?

If/when that happens, what other restrictions will be made part of that license?

Do we really need the leftwing nut states putting immense pressure on the feds to make changes (additional restrictions) that accommodate their anti-gun sentiments that will have an impact on CFL holders in all other states?

It's just too much of a risk, IMHO.

Certain powers just need to remain in the hands of the states.

I also believe that abortion laws belong in the hands of the states rather than the feds. <--- had to throw that in.

NRA Life Member
Certified GLOCK Armorer

Put the fed. govt. in charge of the Sahara Desert and in five years there'd be a shortage of sand.
BlackDobe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2011, 11:05   #24
David Armstrong

If the Feds can mandate that all states must recognize the CCW permits from other states as valid then the Fed also has the power to prohibit a CCW permit from one state being recognized as in any other state. Remember the ancient Chinese curse of "May you get what you wish for."
David Armstrong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2011, 11:36   #25
Sippo

Quote:
Did you ever wonder why that doesn't apply to your driver's license?

You're right, Mr President. Central PA does love their guns and religion.
Sippo is offline   Reply With Quote