Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 05-19-2011, 05:51   #1
macsimizer26

.38spl ammo that works well in S&W 442

can anyone point me in a good direction for ammo that has worked well in the S&W 442? looking for both target rounds(until i get a reloader) and also defense rounds. thanks
macsimizer26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2011, 07:22   #2
Messer

Like many things when it comes to guns/ammo/self defense, it will start a Holy War of opinions.

Here is my $.02 worth...

If you are looking for the most accurate ammo, Federal 148 gr., Hollow Base, Full Wadcutter ammo is about as good as you can get. BUT, your 442 has neither the sights or the trigger to gain from that type of ammo.

If you are looking for range/practice ammo, any of the bulk 130 gr. Full Metal Jacket ammo available at most gun shops & WalMarts is good for that purpose.

As for carry ammo, I'd have to say the Speer 135 gr. Gold Dot for Short Barrels is the way to go...

http://www.ammunitiontogo.com/produc...low-point-ammo

Buffalo Bore makes a good self defense round for the 38, but it's loaded HOT, and isn't fun to shoot in a small/light gun.

Take care,
Bob S.
Old 05-19-2011, 12:59   #3
macsimizer26

thanks bud
Old 05-19-2011, 13:07   #4
Dalton Wayne
CLM Number 239
Epic mustache

Send a message via MSN to Dalton Wayne Send a message via Skype™ to Dalton Wayne
I carry Winchester bonded PDX1 38 special +P 130gr JHP in my 442

Good people sleep peaceable in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf
Regards
DW
Dalton Wayne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2011, 15:06   #5
SuperSleuth

I carry 125gr Federal Nyclads in my 642 (same as your 442 but in stainless steel/silver color) and practice with 130gr FMJ ammo (I shoot the cheapest I can find...right now it's PMC brand). They're pretty close ballistically so I think it's a good combo.

I carry 135gr Speer Short-Barrel GDHP +P for reloads in strips, so I practice with those periodically when doing reloading drills.
SuperSleuth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2011, 20:36   #6
the perfesser

I have control problems with any +P carry ammo in my 442, so I stick with standard pressure Federal Nyclads and Hornady Critical Defense.
the perfesser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2011, 21:53   #7
macsimizer26

now when u carry backup ammo, is it in a speedloader? haven't seen much on ammo prices for this caliber, are they comparable to 9, 40, 45? thanks, trying to get a heads up on what works well with this pistol as it will most likely become my carry/nightstand gun, after much much practice of course
Old 05-20-2011, 06:24   #8
Daryl in Az
Enjoying life!

I carry the above mentionede 135 gr Gold Dot ammo in my J-frame. Shoots good, but it's sort of expensive for targets.

I haven't bought a box of factory .38 special ammo in many, many years. Maybe 20 or so? A friend gave me three boxes of WWB stuff recently that's loaded with lead round nose bullets, and it shoots well enough for the purpose.

But I mostly shoot handloads. Some years back, I bought a few 500 cnt boxes of Speer 148 gr HBWC's (bullets for reloading) from midwayusa, and they shoot good. Over the years, I've "aquired" a pretty good selection of bullets to use in .38 special loads, so I have all sorts of ammo on hand for it. Just have to keep them labeled so I know what's what.

My advice is to shoot what's cheap, save the brass, and start reloading. I seriously doubt you'll ever regret it.

Daryl

Molon Labe!
Daryl in Az is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2011, 08:25   #9
HotRoderX
Gen4 BETATester

I carry a 637 which is a 442 with a hammer personally I pefer one of the following.

Them are extremely easy on the hand and have pretty good expansion results from the test I have seen on youtube.

Other SD ammo I like is

Nice expansion low flash only drawback is they have a kick.... which can make follow up shots a bit tough.

As far as range ammo goes. what ever cheapest. I do pefer PMC or Independence if I can find it cheap enough. which ever range ammo you go with I suggest a 130gr because it will be lighter shooting out of a snubnose.

Last edited by HotRoderX; 05-20-2011 at 08:29..
HotRoderX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2011, 09:58   #10
macsimizer26

Yea i plan on saving my brass to reload, been doing so with my 40, 45 and 223, now how hard is this little sucker? becuz consensus seems to be the 442 has a very nasty kick and can wear out the wrist fairly quickly. Does bullet weight/jhp/fmj/swc have a major affect? I like pmc in my other calibers so ill def try that, havent shot any speer or gold dot, are they loaded "hot", and how does reg ol WWB work with this model?
Old 05-20-2011, 10:24   #11
HotRoderX
Gen4 BETATester

Quote:
Originally Posted by macsimizer26 View Post
Yea i plan on saving my brass to reload, been doing so with my 40, 45 and 223, now how hard is this little sucker? becuz consensus seems to be the 442 has a very nasty kick and can wear out the wrist fairly quickly. Does bullet weight/jhp/fmj/swc have a major affect? I like pmc in my other calibers so ill def try that, havent shot any speer or gold dot, are they loaded "hot", and how does reg ol WWB work with this model?
bullet weight does make a difference the 130gr rounds I can shoot all day with almost no discomfort. I can even shoot 100-150 158gr ammo not as much fun or enjoyable but still can. +P I don't find enjoyable at all 50rounds and I am ready to put it up. I have no problem shooting my 686 357mag all day but man them +P 38's in a snubby buck harder in my opinion.
HotRoderX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2011, 19:43   #12
the perfesser

Quote:
Originally Posted by macsimizer26 View Post
now when u carry backup ammo, is it in a speedloader?
I carry my snubbie infrequently (work in a gun-free zone), but when I do, it's in my strong side front pocket. I also carry a speedstrip; they fit more easily in my off pocket. Speedloaders are fine for off-body carry (glove compartment) or jacket pocket or for use at the range.
the perfesser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2011, 02:21   #13
LarryNC

I believe that there are already lots of good ideas about good SD loads and they have been mentioned already. I jusy wanted to agree with Daryl in Az, he gave you some excellent advice (in my opinion). I am a reloader. It is a great hobby, you can save a huge amount of money, too. The only calibers I have ever reloaded for are .45 ACP and 9mm. I need to buy a conversion kit for my reloading machine and some dies in .38. I have a new model 442 and somehow got lucky enough to get a brand new one without one of those danged locks. If you really want to be a really good shot, you have to shoot a lot. That is just my opinion, but to shoot a lot these days you have to either have a trust fund or be a reloader Good luck with your 442.
Old 05-23-2011, 05:21   #14
macsimizer26

Lol no trust fund, dont have a reloader but did manage to get a 2nd job to support my habits and build the ol bank account up a good bit
Old 10-19-2011, 22:07   #15
den888

130 FMJ, 158 gr SWC/RN for practice and 125 gr Nyclad (non +P) for SD/HD use
den888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2011, 06:37   #16
tenntornado

I am old school and still keep my snubbies loaded with 158 gr. LSWCHP+Ps
tenntornado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2011, 20:46   #17
jeb_ingram

Ive recently replaced my CorBon 110 gr DPX for Nyclad 125 gr. I keep two speed strips with 158 gr +P FMJ in my pocket and a Galco 2x2x2 with Nyclads on my belt.
jeb_ingram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2011, 01:05   #18
BossGodfrey

Nyclad or hornady critical defense, gold dot SB is really good but don't like the +P thing.
Old 11-29-2011, 02:26   #19
Novocaine

I use two loads: 158 gr LSWC HP+P (Federal in my case) and Speer Short Barrel. I trust LSWCHP+P and Speer glides easier from the speedloader.

In standard velocity (for older 3" J-frame) I use Nyclads.

I see little reason in target rounds for the 2" revolver.
Novocaine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2011, 17:27   #20
captcurly

For carry in alloy J frames I use Speer Gold Dot 135gr HP for Short Barrels. For the range and practice I use any 130gr ball ammo. Never got into reloading because I am a lazy guy.

It is all about shot placement.
captcurly is offline   Reply With Quote