SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 05-22-2011, 15:14   #76
pipedreams

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeerPredator View Post
The dog in my avatar picture is a full blooded pitbull and is one of the sweetest animals on this planet. I am a dog lover, and esp. Love pitbulls. However, I would shoot any dog dead where it stood if it attacked me, my loved ones, or my dog.

This story demonstrates very poor pet ownership responsibility. Pits are a breed that need to have a very strong pack leader and need to be exercised daily. I do both of those things for Ruger. I also believe NO dog should ever be let off leash in a public area, period. I do honestly think pitbulls get a very bad rep, but the ones in this story absolutely need to be put down.
Well said, the owner demonstrated poor judgement and should never had the three dogs in a public park unleashed. Even if the dogs had been on leash it may have been difficult to control three of that size. Many communities it is against the law to have a dog off leash in public.

Never look down on anybody, unless you're helping them up.
pipedreams is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2011, 15:17   #77
Sheepdog Scout
Behind you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeerPredator View Post
The dog in my avatar picture is a full blooded pitbull and is one of the sweetest animals on this planet. I am a dog lover, and esp. Love pitbulls. However, I would shoot any dog dead where it stood if it attacked me, my loved ones, or my dog.

This story demonstrates very poor pet ownership responsibility. Pits are a breed that need to have a very strong pack leader and need to be exercised daily. I do both of those things for Ruger. I also believe NO dog should ever be let off leash in a public area, period. I do honestly think pitbulls get a very bad rep, but the ones in this story absolutely need to be put down.
100% agree. Their owner is a dumbass. I love dogs, pits as well. I think pits can be very good dogs. All dogs require that their owners not be complete idiots. Especially Pit Bulls. A lot of times, bad dogs highlight the defects (or in this case complete reject) of it's owner. Pit Bulls are probably more so the case. Having three large dogs (a pack) unleashed in a public area is a bad idea.

Last edited by Sheepdog Scout; 05-22-2011 at 15:20..
Sheepdog Scout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2011, 15:22   #78
Wooderson76

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheeBadOne View Post
Was the dog shooter in any way affiliated with Law Enforcement?
yes this does sound like the work of the swine
Wooderson76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2011, 16:19   #79
tongix

Always have a concealed gun when strolling , you might encounter a dogowner with a pit. Never take chances with these beasts, dont take your eyes away if you get an encounter.

Last edited by tongix; 05-22-2011 at 16:20..
tongix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2011, 16:30   #80
NMG26

Owner had no respect for his dogs. Sad.

Seems like shooting one is usually enough in these cases.
NMG26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2011, 16:37   #81
coastal4974

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheeBadOne View Post
Was the dog shooter in any way affiliated with Law Enforcement?
Are you thinking of the DOJ officer that shot the dog in the Baltimore park for no reason?
Old 05-22-2011, 16:39   #82
BC Dan

This is an interesting read

http://www.dogsbite.org/dangerous-do...bull-myths.htm
Old 05-22-2011, 17:02   #83
Fastbear

Some people use their pets to lash out at the world for life's difficulties. Having employment which creates the light bar to flash or deliver civil papers to people, you meet many dog owners. The vast majority of people and their animals are a joy to meet and I try to leave them both feeling comfortable about the unexpected visit. However, a few people want a large agressivess dog in their presence which also forces me to feel empathy for the animal having to live in the mud hole of life with only death to release them from their misery. Most dogs want desperately to give friendship to you. Have been almost licked and slobbered to death at times-that's fine. Resent people who will not train or care for their pets. The old saying is "Once an idiot, always and idiot." A few people prove it every day. Sitting here typing with one hand while the other is playing tug a war with the monster laying on my feet wanting to play with his toy. Love and care for the little ones and chances are they will assume most people also like kindness.

Retractable leashes work well for dog walks and control other peoples comfort when approaching your pet-use them.
Fastbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2011, 17:24   #84
Deanster
CLM Number 250
Cheese?

I'm a big believer that there are no bad dogs, only bad owners.

That said, dogs are bred for a wide variety of characteristics, and popular breeds tend to be 'brittle'... as they get overbred. Cocker spaniels are a great example - a wonderful sporting dog, wildly overbred, and what was once a dog with a generally excellent temperament is now very often snappish, high-strung, and prone to a variety of illnesses.

IMHO, pit bull terriers are not inherently a bad breed. However, they are bred for strength, aggressiveness, and size. They are a popular breed, and often overbred or poorly bred. They are popular with owners who don't train them well, or train them to be aggressive. I think anyone who approaches any large, powerful, unknown dog is crazy, but I also think there's a large difference between doing so with a pit bull and, say, a Bernese.

I'm very cautious with Pits and other large, powerful dogs in person, and at the dog park. More than one off leash that's anything but obviously very well-trained and well-behaved is probably a sign that it's time for me and my (very large, but ludicrously passive) dog to be somewhere else.
Deanster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2011, 17:51   #85
eracer
Where's my EBT?

Pit bulls? Unpossible.
eracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2011, 18:02   #86
glockski

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bren View Post
If you have no experience, how does your gut tell you that?

Pit bulls are just dogs, unfortunately they are strong tough dogs with a reputation, which means they are often owned by dumbasses who try to make them into anything from fighting dogs to homemade attack dogs, "because dey pitbulls, dawg."

Pitbulls are like minivans, they are good, practical and would be great to own, but they have a reputation because they attract a really bad class of owner.
Well said
glockski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2011, 18:09   #87
Flared_Nostrils
Mutant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Berto View Post
Yeah, it's who I thought it was.
I doubt he'll be in any trouble.
I live very close to where this happened as well and have talked to the shooter at a local gun shop before...
(He seems like someone who knows his way around firearm logistics)

The park where this happened is not an off leash park, but it is common for people to play fetch with their dog's off leash there.
It's assumed that people are in control of the dogs when off leash.
Having said that... The Pit Bull owner was just a typical idiot with dogs that shouldn't be off leash at a park like that at all.
No way... No how.
There's no reason in the world that he should have let his dogs out his vehicle at this park without leashes.
And yes, any locals here would say the "shooter" playing fetch with his dog was fine... Judegment call, but most wouldn't bat an eye...
3 pit bulls running off leash there?
That would have people asking the owner why he isn't at the big off leash park close by.
The pit bull owner was asking for trouble.
Just a typical young fool with pit bulls right out of "central casting"...
The reason so many good dog owners get a bad rap.
Scary to think of bullets flying around at a place like that...
Hope the shooter was fully aware of what was behind the dog at the time.
Lot's of traffic and people there.
Old 05-22-2011, 21:09   #88
Berto
woo woo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flared_Nostrils View Post
I live very close to where this happened as well and have talked to the shooter at a local gun shop before...
(He seems like someone who knows his way around firearm logistics)

The park where this happened is not an off leash park, but it is common for people to play fetch with their dog's off leash there.
It's assumed that people are in control of the dogs when off leash.
Having said that... The Pit Bull owner was just a typical idiot with dogs that shouldn't be off leash at a park like that at all.
No way... No how.
There's no reason in the world that he should have let his dogs out his vehicle at this park without leashes.
And yes, any locals here would say the "shooter" playing fetch with his dog was fine... Judegment call, but most wouldn't bat an eye...
3 pit bulls running off leash there?
That would have people asking the owner why he isn't at the big off leash park close by.
The pit bull owner was asking for trouble.
Just a typical young fool with pit bulls right out of "central casting"...
The reason so many good dog owners get a bad rap.
Scary to think of bullets flying around at a place like that...
Hope the shooter was fully aware of what was behind the dog at the time.
Lot's of traffic and people there.
I agree totally.
I used to frequent the gym he lifts at, he's a strong and knowledgable guy...both firearms and empty hand.
I defend pits pretty frequently, can't defend the owner though.
Owning any large dog is a chore, owning three (likely unfixed) and letting them roam free at Juanita bay is plain asnine.
Berto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2011, 04:07   #89
VinnieD

Pit or poodle. If a DOG attacks you shoot it. End of story.
Old 05-29-2011, 20:32   #90
Brucev

Good for the man who shot. Now, he needs to sue the negligent owner of the pit bulls. They need to be killed. And the owner needs to be required to pay a judgment to the man who was attacked.
Brucev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2011, 18:07   #91
dcycleman

Quote:
Originally Posted by tongix View Post
I wish he also shot the other two pits. These dogs have DNAs that will kill their victims. i dont know why people still rearing these beasts.
You are ignorant
dcycleman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2011, 07:05   #92
badge315

For those who support 'banning' pit bulls, what exactly would that entail?

Rounding up all pit bulls and exterminating them? Door-to-door searches looking for pit bulls? How would a determination be made whether a dog was actually a pit bull or not? Would "it looks like a pit bull" be sufficient? Would pit bull owners be offered any compensation for the loss of their property?

Would those in favor of exterminating pit bulls also support exterminating all species of dangerous animals such as bears, alligators, sharks, etc.?

Saying "we oughta ban 'em" is one thing, but I suspect that the logistics involved in implementing a ban would be somewhat problematic.

- The Loc-Nar
badge315 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2011, 11:37   #93
93GT
The Ogre

These threads always end up entertaining to say the least. Anyone know what kind of handgun he was carrying?
93GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2011, 13:11   #94
stlguntrader

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevelyn View Post
Half the dogs I've whacked have been pits.
your so full of it, everyone on here that has comment negatively about pitbulls are probably racist against certain ethnicity groups as well, I dont know whats scarier a pack of pitbulls or a black man with a gun is what you want to say...My 5 yr old C.H.A.M.P Missouri certified therapy dog, visits children hospitals and spreads love to kids on their death bed, one kids dying wish was to see my pepper one last time...
Attached Thumbnails
The Furball Forum - Click for larger version  

Last edited by stlguntrader; 06-11-2011 at 13:14.. Reason: picture
stlguntrader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2011, 13:39   #95
hoven88
Wannabe

Quote:
Originally Posted by stlguntrader View Post
your so full of it, everyone on here that has comment negatively about pitbulls are probably racist against certain ethnicity groups as well, I dont know whats scarier a pack of pitbulls or a black man with a gun is what you want to say...My 5 yr old C.H.A.M.P Missouri certified therapy dog, visits children hospitals and spreads love to kids on their death bed, one kids dying wish was to see my pepper one last time...
Cool story bro
hoven88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2011, 14:28   #96
93GT
The Ogre

Then I found a 20 dollar bill...
93GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2012, 08:15   #97
Peace Officer

A good pit bull is a dead pit bull.
Peace Officer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2012, 21:06   #98