Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 05-23-2011, 06:41   #1
BamaTrooper
Almost Done

Send a message via Yahoo to BamaTrooper
Does your wife think like this?

Yesterday, I was taking a break from doing yardwork. I was sitting in the den with my wife, having a glass of water and flipping through the channels.

We here about five or six shots, from what I assumed to be a medium caliber pistol, followed by one heavier report. I opened the back door and ran to the privacy fence. I climbed up the fence to look towards a nearby movie theater parking lot and apartment complex as it appeared that was where the shots came from. I didn't see anything so after about two minutes, I came back in.

My wife told me there was something wrong with me and my instincts were "*******ed" if I ran towards the shots. I told her I was looking to 1- make sure the situation wasn't heading our way and 2- trying to see if I could see a car or person fleeing the area in case it was the offender trying to get away.

We have been together 20 years and she still doesn't get that that response is part of what I do?

ETA- this is what caused the tumult. http://blog.al.com/live/2011/05/movi..._fires_sh.html

Last edited by BamaTrooper; 05-23-2011 at 06:43..
BamaTrooper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2011, 06:56   #2
wprebeck
Got quacks?

Nah, not really. Probably because she's been working patrol for almost eleven years.
Old 05-23-2011, 07:11   #3
CJStudent
Fenced In

Send a message via AIM to CJStudent Send a message via Yahoo to CJStudent
No wife; problem solved!

Quote:
The first round is a moral decision. All of the following rounds are tactical decisions.
CJStudent is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2011, 07:17   #4
jms123

I would have done the same thing, and I am just a civilian.
I hope you at least had your side arm with you.
Hate to think you ran towards a gun fight with just
a glass of water in your hand.
Keep up the good work..and be safe.

"For it is in giving that we receive."
St Francis of Assisi
jms123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2011, 07:54   #5
A6Gator

Bama, print this off and leave it on the table...maybe after she reads this she'll figure why you did that.

http://mwkworks.com/onsheepwolvesandsheepdogs.html

Last edited by A6Gator; 05-23-2011 at 07:55..
A6Gator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2011, 09:25   #6
Ross-in-Pa
Western Pa

+1 on the " I am a civilian, and would have done the same thing."

Observing from a distance to verify the situation, and the direction of movement is a smart move. When there are gunshots close to home, you need to find out what is going on before a (bad) surprise comes to your door.
Ross-in-Pa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2011, 09:31   #7
Dragoon44
Lifetime Membership
Unfair Facist

No, if my wife had heard it and I hadn't she would come running ot me telling me I needed to go check it out.
Old 05-23-2011, 09:46   #8
MeefZah
Cover is Code 3

My wife loves the ****. She has done a few ride alongs with me and seems to enjoy mixing it up with people.

We have discussed action plans if **** goes sideways while we are out and while she has agreed to call 911, ID me and my clothing to dispatch, give a running report on what is taking place, description of perps, actions taken, etc.; it is pretty obvious she would rather be getting into the **** than reporting it.

Which, honestly, is pretty effing hot.
MeefZah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2011, 09:52   #9
JTipper.45

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragoon44 View Post
No, if my wife had heard it and I hadn't she would come running ot me telling me I needed to go check it out.
Spot on for my wife. I work a small town south of where I live but reserved in my home town for years and still go in and patrol from time to time. Something happens in the "hood" she expects me to find out what it is and if it needs to be "handled". Years ago we had an out right firefight go down a few blocks away at a dope house. It sounded like it was right next door. While I was throwing on BDUs and my gunbelt, she had done put kids in the back rooms on the floor and had my safe open asking what rifle I wanted.
Old 05-23-2011, 10:05   #10
GunHo198

Yep my wife's the same way.
Old 05-23-2011, 10:56   #11
USAFE7
Retired USAF-SP

Sadly....mine would have tripped me up so she could beat me out.
Old 05-23-2011, 11:26   #12
BamaTrooper
Almost Done

Send a message via Yahoo to BamaTrooper
Quote:
Originally Posted by JTipper.45 View Post
Spot on for my wife. I work a small town south of where I live but reserved in my home town for years and still go in and patrol from time to time. Something happens in the "hood" she expects me to find out what it is and if it needs to be "handled". Years ago we had an out right firefight go down a few blocks away at a dope house. It sounded like it was right next door. While I was throwing on BDUs and my gunbelt, she had done put kids in the back rooms on the floor and had my safe open asking what rifle I wanted.
I hope you told her the highest capacity .308 in there
Old 05-23-2011, 13:08   #13
CAcop

My wife would have wanted me to check up but when I got the rifle or shotgun out she would be asking me why I would need such a big gun. I would be telling her there's no point in going out unless you got more than enough to get the job done. Then she would say I am weird. If I just grabbed a pistol she wouldn't even flinch. Either way she would follow me out the door with cellphone in hand to call it in if needed.
I wonder if your assessment of "The Wizard of Oz" would sound something like "A teenaged orphan runs away with three psychotic AD/HD patients and a little dog. She kills the first two women she meets." --Sinecure 07/03/2006
Freakin' awsome!! Kickin it old school. Hot sheet on the dash. The report was probably only two sentences. Long live Rencko and Bobbie Hill!--WhiskeyT

Last edited by CAcop; 05-23-2011 at 13:09..
CAcop is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2011, 13:14   #14
Hack
Gold Membership
Crazy CO

Send a message via AIM to Hack Send a message via Yahoo to Hack
I was a soldier when I married. The funny part of it is that she still has to get used to the idea occasionally.
Bureau of Prisons or the Department of Justice."
In God we trust, all others we monitor.
Hack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2011, 13:43   #15
volsbear
Lifetime Membership
IWannaBeSedated

Words from beyond the grave, as told by the friend of a LEO who was a LODD...

"There's so much evil in the world. Why would you want to run from it when you can go find it and destroy it."

"He'd look better with lividity" - BlueIron

Black Rifle Club - RRA-PSG
S&W Club - 22227
volsbear is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2011, 14:11   #16
NyGlockcop

Some dont realize that us in Law Enforcement arent like normal people. Normal people go "away" from shots fired, but we are of a different breed, we gravitate towards trouble. Several years ago on Valentine's Day my wife had to bring the church copier machine(very large) to a repair shop about 30 minutes away so I was off and said I'd go along for the ride and take her out to lunch, since it was Valentine's day. Well we picked up the copier in her new Toyota Sienna(V6 266 hp), seatbelt the copier in it. We're driving through a local city and we're stopped at a traffic light when 2 cars in front of us I see a passenger side door open the Yukon SUV starts to go forward and a female jumps out of the moving vehicle screaming,"help, help, call the police, help, she falls and hits her head. My wife says, " Are you gonna do something?" LOL, I start to get out to assist when the female jumps up and jumps into another vehicle with a bewildered driver ,lol. The Yukon takes off, the female takes off, I dont know what we got here, whether it was a domestic, an abduction or maybe an assault but something just isn't right. I get back into the Sienna and tell my wife who is driving,"Follow that Yukon!" While she is following it I immediately have the local PD on the phone, identify myself, tell them what occurred and our direction of travel. Dispatcher tells me to stay with the suspect vehicle. Ok, my wife is listening pretty good and is following the Yukon, the Yukon is going through parking lots, avoiding traffic lights, running traffic lights and we are safely behind it. Then the dispatcher wanted the plate #, so with my cop humor, "Honey, can you speed it up a bit so I can see the plate?" Now the Yukon finally realizes that we are following him and starts accelerating( but there was no way he was going to outrun that damn mini van,LOL), I'm still on the phone with the PD, we actually drove right past their HQ, still no marked units. Finally what seemed like eternity I can see the first unit coming up behind us, tell the dispatcher that we are just in front of it, we pull to the shoulder and let it by. PD unit does the stop, I assist the Sgt with the stop. Turns out it was a domestic, the BF had smacked the GF, the GF had jumped out, BF panicked because he was on probation and took off. 2nd unit arrived, I'm good to go, as I am walking back to the Sienna, my wife is on her cell phone talking to a co worker, practically hyper ventilating,lol, I hear her say, "And- he- told- me- to -go- faster!"lmao. Needless to say, she admitted that she doesnt know how I can do things like this, be calm like they are "normal" incidents. I explained they are normal things to a police officer, we help those who need help. Needless to say, it was a Valentine's Day that she will never forget. And the copier machine made it to the repair shop in one piece. lol
NyGlockcop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2011, 14:45   #17
furioso2112

my wife would bulldoze the house while I was outside, then say we needed to move because the crimes was getting so bad.
Old 05-23-2011, 19:53   #18
msu_grad_121
BOOSH

I'm with CJSTudent on the no wife thing, but by ex fiancee used to look at me all KINDS of cross eyed when something like this would go down. She never understood, which is fine, but it got to me when she'd tell me what an idiot I was being for running towards the problems while she stood there frozen. Never a clearer case for "you're either born with it or your not."

Then again, it could just have been because she's Canadian.
Old 05-23-2011, 21:26   #19
Hack
Gold Membership
Crazy CO

Send a message via AIM to Hack Send a message via Yahoo to Hack
Quote:
Originally Posted by msu_grad_121 View Post
I'm with CJSTudent on the no wife thing, but by ex fiancee used to look at me all KINDS of cross eyed when something like this would go down. She never understood, which is fine, but it got to me when she'd tell me what an idiot I was being for running towards the problems while she stood there frozen. Never a clearer case for "you're either born with it or your not."

Then again, it could just have been because she's Canadian.
You pick on the Canadians I am going to start picking on the Yankees.

Fuhgeddaboudit!
Bureau of Prisons or the Department of Justice."
In God we trust, all others we monitor.
Hack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2011, 02:13   #20
Pepper45

My wife would follow me, carrying more ammo. She understands me.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
Pepper45 is offline   Reply With Quote