SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 05-24-2011, 23:00   #1
Morris
CLM Number
Charter Lifetime Member

What's next, a hug and a glass of warm milk?

http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/htm...fanity25m.html

Now I understand why the retirement rate took off.

Certified Glock Armorer
Certified M&P Armorer

Working overtime to pay for Obamacare
Morris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2011, 23:18   #2
Pepper45

As part of CALEA, we got a new policy manual last year. Originally, there was a policy in there about profanity, and the city manager wanted it to stay. Our chief pulled it, stating that she couldn't "get my Tourette's on" if it was deleted. Excessive profanity at the wrong times is covered under unprofessional conduct. Swearing at bangers is not unprofessional. They don't understand anything if half of the words don't have four letters, and start with "F".

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
Pepper45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2011, 23:23   #3
Morris
CLM Number
Charter Lifetime Member

Quote:
The driver, who was arrested, and the passenger, who was released, were identified by police as MS-13 gang members, under supervision by the state Department of Corrections.

During the stop, the two men used profanity while talking of hurting and fighting with the officers, saying they deserved to be killed, according to the records.
Never mind this Chief Diaz . . .

Certified Glock Armorer
Certified M&P Armorer

Old 05-25-2011, 00:26   #4
dano1427

20 days off for language? I bet moral is at its highest point, ever....
dano1427 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2011, 02:30   #5
Newcop761
CLM Number 145
Charter Lifetime Member

Wow. How much money did Seattle waste searching for this guy?

How about Lt. Kuehn? Was he ever a cop? More gerbil voodoo coming during the next training day.
Old 05-25-2011, 06:50   #6
txleapd
Hook 'Em Up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pepper45 View Post
As part of CALEA, we got a new policy manual last year. Originally, there was a policy in there about profanity, and the city manager wanted it to stay. Our chief pulled it, stating that she couldn't "get my Tourette's on" if it was deleted. Excessive profanity at the wrong times is covered under unprofessional conduct. Swearing at bangers is not unprofessional. They don't understand anything if half of the words don't have four letters, and start with "F".
We dumped CALEA 2 years ago... Colossal waste of taxpayer money.

On profanity.... About 10 years ago (different chief, different city leadership) we had an officer get complained on because he told a non-cooperative subject to "sit his ass down.". The chief at the time gave the officer a written reprimand. The officer refused to sign it, and demanded a suspension instead, so he could arbitrate the punishment. Everyone rallied to the officer's side, including the staff psychiatrist and lead DT instructor. It was argued that sometimes harsh language has to be used to get someone's full attention, and let them know you're serious.... He ultimately wasn't punished.

The current chief has said more than once that sometimes you have to cuss, when appropriate. He gets it.

Harsh language is sometimes a part of the job, and you speak to people as they speak to you. Some people can only comprehend profanity. It's not about being rude, it's about people comprehending what you're saying. Dropping F bombs while interviewing a little old lady (who's a victim) isn't appropriate. Strongly ordering a gang banger suspect (who keeps walking toward you in a dark alley) to "get the 'F' back" is appropriate.
1911 Club #75
Kahr Club #286
Lone Star Glockers #919

"A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity” Sigmund Freud
txleapd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2011, 06:51   #7
Hack
Gold Membership
Crazy CO

Send a message via AIM to Hack Send a message via Yahoo to Hack
Quote:
Originally Posted by dano1427 View Post
20 days off for language? I bet moral is at its highest point, ever....
A lot of institutions in my agency have this policy. Freaken nuts!!
Bureau of Prisons or the Department of Justice."
In God we trust, all others we monitor.
Hack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2011, 06:54   #8
x_out86

I will agree...There is a time and place to get down and dirty and talk with people on their level. Every once in a while you have to tell people in no uncertain terms to sit down and be quiet using other more colorful words. Just last week I told a guy involved in a minor bar fight to "get his S*** and go the ******* home". He knew I was serious and did just that. It was the right place and time to use such language, and I am sure my chief would agree.

I wont armchair quarterback since there is no audio or direct quotes. One can only assume that the choice of words and their plentiful use was probably a little over the top.

However, 20 days w/o pay? I would think a letter in the file and MAYBE at best a day or two would have been much more appropriate. However, I know that Seattle Police Bureau is looking to play the political game any chance they get for some good PR for once. Or at least what they perceive as good PR.
I long to accomplish a great and noble tasks, but it is my chief duty to accomplish humble tasks as though they were great and noble. The world is moved along, not only by the mighty shoves of its heroes, but also by the aggregate of the tiny pushes of each honest worker.

Last edited by x_out86; 05-25-2011 at 06:58..
x_out86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2011, 09:23   #9
Morris
CLM Number
Charter Lifetime Member

I might use "gutter language" if I had some gang bangers threatening to kill me and my partners.

Seattle city proper is insane. I feel for the rank and file.

Certified Glock Armorer
Certified M&P Armorer

Last edited by Morris; 05-25-2011 at 09:24..
Old 05-25-2011, 09:41   #10
Newcop761
CLM Number 145
Charter Lifetime Member

Left Seattle and King County in the rear view mirror.

This asinine decision will discourage pro-active officers from sticking their necks out to make good arrests.

Last edited by Newcop761; 05-28-2011 at 00:28..
Newcop761 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2011, 10:54   #11
MarcDW
MDW Guns

20 days without pay for bad language?
I would call this excessive and unreasonable!!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
for current inventory
MarcDW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2011, 11:40   #12
pgg00

Morris. Do you know if their guild is going to fight it?

I'm sure glad I didn't look at Seattle when I came up here

WiskyT :whistling:
There's nothing like the fact that you can take educated professionals with everything on the line and add a little booze and they act like juniors in HS.
pgg00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2011, 11:56   #13
Morris
CLM Number
Charter Lifetime Member

My understanding is that two of the officers will and the guild president is identified as being not as vocal as in the past but makes clear statements. That tells me something is brewing.

I thought I'd never see the day when officers were looking to lateral AWAY from SPD but I'm hearing of a few looking for more reasonable pastures, even if it means a pay cut.

Certified Glock Armorer
Certified M&P Armorer

Old 05-25-2011, 12:02   #14
pgg00

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morris View Post
My understanding is that two of the officers will and the guild president is identified as being not as vocal as in the past but makes clear statements. That tells me something is brewing.

I thought I'd never see the day when officers were looking to lateral AWAY from SPD but I'm hearing of a few looking for more reasonable pastures, even if it means a pay cut.
We may have one lateral spot opening up soon if we get the funding approved.

WiskyT :whistling:
There's nothing like the fact that you can take educated professionals with everything on the line and add a little booze and they act like juniors in HS.
pgg00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2011, 13:06   #15
msu_grad_121
BOOSH

Yeah, that's pretty ridiculous no matter how you cut it. Should the officers have remained professional and not resorted to profanity? Debateable.

However, what this shows is that Diaz was never a working cop, and knows nothing about how gang members are. You can't communicate with the dregs of society using "sirs" and "ma'ams". 1) they won't know what you're saying and 2) they see it as a sign of weakness. If it was over the top, it was over the top, but especially with scumbags like MS-13, I don't see how it COULD be over the top.

On a related note, back in 04 I got my leg broken making an arrest during a huge donnybrook. When I went to see the boss the next day, he handed me 14 complaints about the string of profanity that flew from my mouth immediately following the kick that broke my leg. To prove what a cool guy he was, he let me read each one, and then took the whole stack and put them thru the shredder. Now THAT'S a boss that gets it...
Old 05-27-2011, 17:24   #16
lawman800
Juris Glocktor

Quote:
Originally Posted by txleapd View Post
Harsh language is sometimes a part of the job, and you speak to people as they speak to you. Some people can only comprehend profanity. It's not about being rude, it's about people comprehending what you're saying. Dropping F bombs while interviewing a little old lady (who's a victim) isn't appropriate. Strongly ordering a gang banger suspect (who keeps walking toward you in a dark alley) to "get the 'F' back" is appropriate.
Exactly. Sometimes you have to say what you have to say and it could very well be a matter of life and death.

Would I use that kind of language in 99% of my encounters? Probably not very likely. However, when it comes time to get down to business and that is what it took to get it done, then I will say it.

One time, my partner was busy holding a suspect down to cuff him. He was okay but busy. In the meantime, 3 huge dudes came walking down the street toward us, yelling and cussing at us about us messing with their cousin. These guys might as well be walking tanks because they were huge!

I tell them to stay back. Nothing. Yell, "STAY BACK!" Nothing. Out comes the pistol to the side of my leg, "STAY THE ***** BACK!" Compliance.

It could very well be the gun... but I think the F-bomb may have accentuated the seriousness of the situation.
lawman800 is offline   Reply With Quote