Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups



  
SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

 
  
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-25-2011, 20:56   #21
WiskyT
Malcontent
 
WiskyT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: North Carolina
Posts: 11,764
Quote:
Originally Posted by MinervaDoe View Post
Thanks. Good logic.
IMHO, I won't use 147 grain XTP's in my G26 and MK9 because they seem to require higher velocities.
But, can I buy reloading components for the 147 grain Rangers?
If not, I'm left wondering what 147 grain JHP I can load myself?
Silvertips and Golden Sabers come to mind.
Any suggestions?

Yes, I can buy a box of the ammo I choose to carry, but I'd like to put a lot of my own reloads through the gun to make sure my gun feeds that bullet perfectly.
You can get the standard Win 147JHP which is either identicle, or nearly identicle, depending on who you ask, to the 147STHP. The GD that Colo mentioned, Golden Sabres, probably Remington standard 147's, and a few I've overlooked. I got the XTP's because I had a BassPro gift card and they had them on the shelf.
__________________
Drugs are bad because if you do drugs you're a hippie and hippies suck.
Eric Cartman


"If you kill enough of them, they stop fighting."-General Curtis E. LeMay
WiskyT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2011, 21:06   #22
MinervaDoe
Senior Member
 
MinervaDoe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Way out in left field
Posts: 7,085
Blog Entries: 5
I like the XTPs. They are affordible and they feed well. If you shoot them into anything to test expansion with a short barrel load, I'd be interested.
So, you think any of the bulk Remington or Winchester hollow points are good quality. Based on appearance, they are light years ahead of the stuff I was loading 15 years ago.

GREAT THREAD! THANKS!
__________________

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

Last edited by MinervaDoe; 05-25-2011 at 21:07.. Reason: ADDED ACCOLADES
MinervaDoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2011, 21:17   #23
WiskyT
Malcontent
 
WiskyT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: North Carolina
Posts: 11,764
Quote:
Originally Posted by MinervaDoe View Post
I like the XTPs. They are affordible and they feed well. If you shoot them into anything to test expansion with a short barrel load, I'd be interested.
So, you think any of the bulk Remington or Winchester hollow points are good quality. Based on appearance, they are light years ahead of the stuff I was loading 15 years ago.

GREAT THREAD! THANKS!
http://www.firearmstactical.com/ammo_data/9mm.htm

This is old test data. Some of the bullets have been changed a bit like the Ranger SXT's. But, I don't think they have changed the standard bullets like the Win JHP.
__________________
Drugs are bad because if you do drugs you're a hippie and hippies suck.
Eric Cartman


"If you kill enough of them, they stop fighting."-General Curtis E. LeMay
WiskyT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2011, 08:07   #24
MinervaDoe
Senior Member
 
MinervaDoe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Way out in left field
Posts: 7,085
Blog Entries: 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by WiskyT View Post
http://www.firearmstactical.com/ammo_data/9mm.htm

This is old test data. Some of the bullets have been changed a bit like the Ranger SXT's. But, I don't think they have changed the standard bullets like the Win JHP.
Nice data. Are you relying on an optimal penetration number? I'm under the impression that most law enforcement agencies use some ideal penetration number as their selection criteria (like 13 inches or something).

I'm not sure what to conclude since some of the lighter bullets penetrate nearly the same as the 147 grain.

The Gold Dots do seem to consistantly have the best expansion numbers.
__________________

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

Last edited by MinervaDoe; 05-26-2011 at 08:15..
MinervaDoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2011, 05:52   #25
WiskyT
Malcontent
 
WiskyT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: North Carolina
Posts: 11,764
Quote:
Originally Posted by MinervaDoe View Post
Nice data. Are you relying on an optimal penetration number? I'm under the impression that most law enforcement agencies use some ideal penetration number as their selection criteria (like 13 inches or something).

I'm not sure what to conclude since some of the lighter bullets penetrate nearly the same as the 147 grain.

The Gold Dots do seem to consistantly have the best expansion numbers.
Yeah, for all the "scientific" testing, they sure get results that don't have any real conclusion. I think a bullet has to penetrate. In this case, the 147's and 115's are almost going the same speed, so I might just as well use the 147's and get deeper penetration.
__________________
Drugs are bad because if you do drugs you're a hippie and hippies suck.
Eric Cartman


"If you kill enough of them, they stop fighting."-General Curtis E. LeMay
WiskyT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2011, 04:13   #26
ricklee4570
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 1,809
I would like to see some chronograph data with the LC9 and some more popular available modern factory ammo such as WWB 115 grain, Speer Gold Dot 124 +P short barrel, etc.
ricklee4570 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2011, 15:22   #27
WiskyT
Malcontent
 
WiskyT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: North Carolina
Posts: 11,764
Quote:
Originally Posted by ricklee4570 View Post
I would like to see some chronograph data with the LC9 and some more popular available modern factory ammo such as WWB 115 grain, Speer Gold Dot 124 +P short barrel, etc.
I don't think the WinUSA 115's would be enough different than the Win 115 STHP and the Fed 115 JHP to be worth testing. I do have some and it is possible that I would have them and the RemUMC 115's and my LCP and chrono at the outdoor range at the same time. Don't hold your breath, but I will try to get it done.

The 124+P GDHP are a long shot since I don't have any and likely won't buy any.
__________________
Drugs are bad because if you do drugs you're a hippie and hippies suck.
Eric Cartman


"If you kill enough of them, they stop fighting."-General Curtis E. LeMay
WiskyT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2011, 16:13   #28
ricklee4570
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 1,809
Quote:
Originally Posted by WiskyT View Post
I don't think the WinUSA 115's would be enough different than the Win 115 STHP and the Fed 115 JHP to be worth testing. I do have some and it is possible that I would have them and the RemUMC 115's and my LCP and chrono at the outdoor range at the same time. Don't hold your breath, but I will try to get it done.

The 124+P GDHP are a long shot since I don't have any and likely won't buy any.
We certainly appreciate you sharing the results you have and any future chronograph results posted are appreciated as well.
ricklee4570 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2011, 19:00   #29
ursoboostd
Senior Member
 
ursoboostd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Florence, Ky
Posts: 533
Did a little chrony with my LC9 yesterday. These are Avg. of 5 shots

147gr Xtreme Plated
4.0gr of Unique
OAL 1.115"

A: 845
A: 850
A: 846

147gr Xtreme Plated
4.5gr of Unique
OAL 1.115"

A: 884
A: 884
A: 892
__________________
Blue Kool-Aid Drinker
ursoboostd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2011, 19:34   #30
WiskyT
Malcontent
 
WiskyT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: North Carolina
Posts: 11,764
Quote:
Originally Posted by ursoboostd View Post
Did a little chrony with my LC9 yesterday. These are Avg. of 5 shots

147gr Xtreme Plated
4.0gr of Unique
OAL 1.115"

A: 845
A: 850
A: 846

147gr Xtreme Plated
4.5gr of Unique
OAL 1.115"

A: 884
A: 884
A: 892
Good deal. 4.5 is over the old Hercules booklet I have.
__________________
Drugs are bad because if you do drugs you're a hippie and hippies suck.
Eric Cartman


"If you kill enough of them, they stop fighting."-General Curtis E. LeMay
WiskyT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2011, 20:13   #31
G26S239
NRA Patron
 
G26S239's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: PRK
Posts: 10,512
Quote:
Originally Posted by ursoboostd View Post
Did a little chrony with my LC9 yesterday. These are Avg. of 5 shots

147gr Xtreme Plated
4.0gr of Unique
OAL 1.115"

A: 845
A: 850
A: 846

147gr Xtreme Plated
4.5gr of Unique
OAL 1.115"

A: 884
A: 884
A: 892
Looks like going from 4.0 grains to 4.5 grains of Unique is getting to the point of diminishing returns in the short barrel.
__________________
Glock 17, 19, 21, 26 X 2, 32 and 36.
Proud member of the PigPen. Embrace the Pignose.
G26S239 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2011, 19:39   #32
ursoboostd
Senior Member
 
ursoboostd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Florence, Ky
Posts: 533
Quote:
Originally Posted by WiskyT View Post
Good deal. 4.5 is over the old Hercules booklet I have.
4.5 is the very top of the load in the 49th Lyman manual.
Quote:
Originally Posted by G26S239 View Post
Looks like going from 4.0 grains to 4.5 grains of Unique is getting to the point of diminishing returns in the short barrel.
I agree. I'll probably load somewhere around 4.2gr when I get all my stuff to load 9mm on the 650. We'll see what that nets me.
__________________
Blue Kool-Aid Drinker
ursoboostd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2011, 19:52   #33
WiskyT
Malcontent
 
WiskyT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: North Carolina
Posts: 11,764
Quote:
Originally Posted by ursoboostd View Post
4.5 is the very top of the load in the 49th Lyman manual.
Yeah, I wasn't knocking it or warning you, I just wanted to let you know you were in the "max" zone.
__________________
Drugs are bad because if you do drugs you're a hippie and hippies suck.
Eric Cartman


"If you kill enough of them, they stop fighting."-General Curtis E. LeMay
WiskyT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2011, 22:04   #34
fredj338
Senior Member
 
fredj338's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: so.cal.
Posts: 21,975
Blog Entries: 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by MinervaDoe View Post
I like the XTPs. They are affordible and they feed well. If you shoot them into anything to test expansion with a short barrel load, I'd be interested.
So, you think any of the bulk Remington or Winchester hollow points are good quality. Based on appearance, they are light years ahead of the stuff I was loading 15 years ago.

GREAT THREAD! THANKS!
IME,the 147grXTP expands for crap @ anything much below 900fps impact vel. You would probably have better luck w/ the Win bullet, but I haven't tried it.
__________________
"Given adequate penetration, a larger diameter bullet will have an edge in wounding effectiveness. It will damage a blood vessel the smaller projectile barely misses. The larger permanent cavity may lead to faster blood loss. Although such an edge clearly exists, its significance cannot be quantified".
fredj338 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2011, 16:38   #35
ursoboostd
Senior Member
 
ursoboostd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Florence, Ky
Posts: 533
Quote:
Originally Posted by WiskyT View Post
Yeah, I wasn't knocking it or warning you, I just wanted to let you know you were in the "max" zone.
No Problem. I appreciate the heads up.
__________________
Blue Kool-Aid Drinker
ursoboostd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2011, 19:23   #36
WiskyT
Malcontent
 
WiskyT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: North Carolina
Posts: 11,764
Here is a good review of the LC9 with some useful chrono data. The data jibes with mine in that similar ammo is giving similar velocities and the GDHP 124 +P is going a little faster than the non+P 124 GDHP I clocked.

http://gunsgunsguns.net/ruger-lc9/
__________________
Drugs are bad because if you do drugs you're a hippie and hippies suck.
Eric Cartman


"If you kill enough of them, they stop fighting."-General Curtis E. LeMay
WiskyT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2011, 09:15   #37
WiskyT
Malcontent
 
WiskyT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: North Carolina
Posts: 11,764
Reloading

Reloading

More to come after we get Shrek toys at McDonald's.
__________________
Drugs are bad because if you do drugs you're a hippie and hippies suck.
Eric Cartman


"If you kill enough of them, they stop fighting."-General Curtis E. LeMay
WiskyT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2011, 11:03   #38
MinervaDoe
Senior Member
 
MinervaDoe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Way out in left field
Posts: 7,085
Blog Entries: 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by ursoboostd View Post
5.8gr of Unique in 9mm. That must be a pretty full shell. Is this load compressed?
My Nosler manual has a column for load density.
For their 115 grain JHP, they list a maximum load of 6.1 grains of Unique as 100% load density. i.e., they say it is not compressed.

Their maximum Blue Dot and SR4756 loads are listed at 109%, so these loads are compressed.
(My apologies for reposting this. I just purchased an LC9 and now I'm looking at all the old LC9 posts).
__________________

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

Last edited by MinervaDoe; 10-29-2011 at 11:47..
MinervaDoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2011, 12:46   #39
WiskyT
Malcontent
 
WiskyT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: North Carolina
Posts: 11,764
125 Zero JHP
6.0 Unique

LC9 G17
Low 1084 1213
High 1131 1279
Average 1109 1251
Extreme Spread 46.95 65.43
Standard Deviation 19.59 24.14
__________________
Drugs are bad because if you do drugs you're a hippie and hippies suck.
Eric Cartman


"If you kill enough of them, they stop fighting."-General Curtis E. LeMay
WiskyT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2011, 12:55   #40
WiskyT
Malcontent
 
WiskyT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: North Carolina
Posts: 11,764
125 Zero JHP

6.5 SR4756

LC9
L: 1050
H: 1123
A: 1096
ES: 72.87
SD: 22.73

G17
L: 1204
H: 1266
A: 1223
ES: 62.10
SD: 17.97
__________________
Drugs are bad because if you do drugs you're a hippie and hippies suck.
Eric Cartman


"If you kill enough of them, they stop fighting."-General Curtis E. LeMay
WiskyT is offline   Reply With Quote

 
  
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump




All times are GMT -6. The time now is 13:31.




Homepage
FAQ
Forums
Calendar
Advertise
Gallery
GT Wiki
GT Blogs
Social Groups
Classifieds


Users Currently Online: 883
261 Members
622 Guests

Most users ever online: 2,672
Aug 11, 2014 at 2:31