Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 05-24-2011, 06:19   #61
21Carrier
Until I Gota 29

I can't wait to see those chronograph results. I really wish someone with a chrono lived near me so I could chrono all these loads I've been testing. I'll eventually get one and test them, but that may be a few months.

Nick, I've been meaning to ask you, how do you like your Lee Turret Press? I am currently reloading with a "borrowed indefinitely" Dillon 550B. I was asking my longtime friend and neighbor about press advice, and he almost just gave it to me. He hadn't used it in years and just said go learn on it and decide if you really want to spend the money to get into reloading. It was cool as hell.

However, I don't like borrowing things from friends, well, not EXPENSIVE things, so I think it's about time for me to get my own. I was looking at the same press you have before he gave me this one. I'm really conflicted on whether to go with Lee or not. So many people say they aren't great, but most don't seem to really give good reasons. They just say stuff that's really subjective. To me, they seem pretty nice, and there are just as many people that love Lee stuff. So, how do you like yours? Do you use the Lever-Prime system, or do you prime off the press? If you do use the L-P, how is it.

I'm afraid that will be the thing I'll miss most about this Dillon, the priming action is so positive and transparent. I just would hate spending that kind of money on a press when I could get a Lee, a chronograph, and TONS of loading materials for the money.

Last edited by 21Carrier; 05-24-2011 at 06:22..
21Carrier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2011, 07:10   #62
nickE10mm
F.S.F.O.S.

Send a message via AIM to nickE10mm Send a message via MSN to nickE10mm Send a message via Yahoo to nickE10mm
Quote:
Originally Posted by 21Carrier View Post
I can't wait to see those chronograph results. I really wish someone with a chrono lived near me so I could chrono all these loads I've been testing. I'll eventually get one and test them, but that may be a few months.

Nick, I've been meaning to ask you, how do you like your Lee Turret Press? I am currently reloading with a "borrowed indefinitely" Dillon 550B. I was asking my longtime friend and neighbor about press advice, and he almost just gave it to me. He hadn't used it in years and just said go learn on it and decide if you really want to spend the money to get into reloading. It was cool as hell.

However, I don't like borrowing things from friends, well, not EXPENSIVE things, so I think it's about time for me to get my own. I was looking at the same press you have before he gave me this one. I'm really conflicted on whether to go with Lee or not. So many people say they aren't great, but most don't seem to really give good reasons. They just say stuff that's really subjective. To me, they seem pretty nice, and there are just as many people that love Lee stuff. So, how do you like yours? Do you use the Lever-Prime system, or do you prime off the press? If you do use the L-P, how is it.

I'm afraid that will be the thing I'll miss most about this Dillon, the priming action is so positive and transparent. I just would hate spending that kind of money on a press when I could get a Lee, a chronograph, and TONS of loading materials for the money.
First off, I've got the Lee DELUXE 4-Hole Turret Press. This is the aluminum version of the press. The only issue I've had with mine are related to the Lee Lever Prime pivoting arm. When happens is that, due to somewhat rough finish (which can really be fixed by some light sanding) and/or primer grit getting into the works, the lever prime pivoting arm will "pop out" of its captive bar and will fall on the floor. Not a big deal **EXCEPT** that I have concrete floors in my basement. What happens is that when the lever hits the floor, it can (and has) damaged the otherwise perfectly round, concentric circle shape of the primer cup. Once that cup is deformed in the slightest, the whole priming system falls apart. The primers will no longer fit in the cup, whether you're using the Lee Safety Prime or loading them by hand. This is a problem with their design on the Deluxe model. There is good news, however. First of all, Lee has EXCELLENT customer service. They have sent me a couple arms free of charge due to my issues. They've actually sent me several other free items (going above and beyond what I expected), all the while being very professional and courteous. VERY good people, there. Secondly, the issue that I've described doesn't even EXIST on the newer, slightly more expensive version of the same press.... I'm referring to the Lee CLASSIC Cast 4-Hole Turret Press. The CLASSIC (as opposed to my DELUXE) is a cast steel version of the same press with several new, nice features including a primer arm that is apparently captive on the press, as well as a spent primer tube and other minor tweaks. If I had it to do over, I'd spend the extra 30-40 bucks and get the CLASSIC and have been 100% perfect.

Anyways, all in all, my recommendation would be a resounding YES, I love my Lee turret press. SAVE YOUR MONEY AND GET THE LEE.... When you buy the whole "press KIT", there are a few items that I would just go ahead and buy right away to save you the time in the long run, one of them being the Safety Prime and another being the Pro Powder hopper. (Safety Prime wasn't included in the kit I don't think. The Pro hopper will prevent powder leakage due to a rubber "wiper" in the system.. and, as well, will allow you to change out powders much easier than the included hopper... just trust me...) Also, the Auto-Disk Riser should be purchased... trust me. Cheap and effective. If you get the LEE, as you said, you will have money left over for other goodies. That's my recommendation.

** If you are wanting to get your own setup, the Lee Classic 4-Hole Turret Press kit, the riser attachment, Safety Prime and Pro Powder Hopper will suit your needs quite well, I would say. And you will be needing a 10mm 4-die carbide die set. **

Oh, and another thing... unrelated to the press advice... I just found an old box of Winchester Supreme Bonded 180gr SXT .40sw rounds in my old ammo pile. I'm gonna pull a few of them after my daughter wakes up (noisy, lol) and load a few up to maybe shoot at some water jugs over the weekend. BONDED 180gr RANGERS (minus the "talons")... should be cool!
10 Ring #1033 - Longslide #1045 - 10mm Loader #1066

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

Why do I carry a 10mm?
“Because a 9mm only kills your body… the 10mm kills your soul.”
nickE10mm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2011, 13:37   #63
nickE10mm
F.S.F.O.S.

Send a message via AIM to nickE10mm Send a message via MSN to nickE10mm Send a message via Yahoo to nickE10mm
See these? These are five (5) 10mm 180gr BONDED SXT's sitting atop 9.3gr of IMR-800X in new Winchester cases, CCI-300 primers, OAL 1.257.

I'm expecting these to be running at over 1300fps out of a 6" barrel.

Should be interesting!

10mm Reloading Forum

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

Why do I carry a 10mm?

Last edited by nickE10mm; 05-24-2011 at 13:37..
Old 05-24-2011, 17:33   #64
21Carrier
Until I Gota 29

Thanks for the advice, Nick. After looking at presses all night, I'm 99% sure I'll get the Lee. The others are just so much more expensive. Those Ranger SXTs should be awesome. I wonder how fast my 180gr bullets have been going. I've been loading them to 10.3gr in the tests, but they only have 3.78" of barrel length to use. I was thinking about 1250fps, but if you can hit 1300 with a whole grain less powder, maybe they are going a little faster.
Old 05-24-2011, 17:50   #65
nickE10mm
F.S.F.O.S.

Quote:
Thanks for the advice, Nick. After looking at presses all night, I'm 99% sure I'll get the Lee. The others are just so much more expensive. Those Ranger SXTs should be awesome. I wonder how fast my 180gr bullets have been going. I've been loading them to 10.3gr in the tests, but they only have 3.78" of barrel length to use. I was thinking about 1250fps, but if you can hit 1300 with a whole grain less powder, maybe they are going a little faster.
Lee is not only much less expensive, but they have a really nice, clean, simple design. The Lee Classic Turret press is what you want. Not the deluxe (although even that press would be fine)...

You've been loading the 180's with 800X, right? If so, then 1250 fps from a G29 sounds about right... maybe a bit faster. The heavier bullets don't gain quite as much as the lighter ones do from a 6" tube. Either way, I'll let ya know when I return from vacation. Whooohoo!

Why do I carry a 10mm?
Old 05-24-2011, 17:55   #66
21Carrier
Until I Gota 29

Yeah, that data was for 800-X. I went as far as 10.8gr, with a STOCK gun. I'm not sure exactly what I was thinking. Maybe I was subconsciously TRYING to blow my fingers off. Anyway, those rounds hurt. My hand was tingling after working up to 10.8gr.
Old 05-24-2011, 17:58   #67
nickE10mm
F.S.F.O.S.

Quote:
Yeah, that data was for 800-X. I went as far as 10.8gr, with a STOCK gun. I'm not sure exactly what I was thinking. Maybe I was subconsciously TRYING to blow my fingers off. Anyway, those rounds hurt. My hand was tingling after working up to 10.8gr.
I'm probably not gonna go any higher over 10g with the 180's since I'm expecting close to 1400fps. I have heard of several people taking it up to 10.5g or so, but with supported barrels.

I might take my 200gr XTP load up to 9.5gr, though. We'll see.

For now, I'm messing around with the WFNGC bullets I got. I've got a couple loads that will probably hit the 1350fps mark.... lookin forward to seeing how accurate they are.

Why do I carry a 10mm?
Old 05-24-2011, 18:15   #68
21Carrier
Until I Gota 29

The only reason I went to 10.8gr with the 180gr XTP, was Mike McNett had posted that load in his STOCK G29 in the IMR data thread. It hit 1263fps. That's pretty impressive out of a stock G29. I didn't see any bad pressure signs, absolutely no Glocksmiles, and max case expansion was .4335" (.435" being my max).

Actually the ONLY load I've ever stopped myself on was 12.0gr of 800-X with a 155gr XTP. I had some 12.2gr loads mixed up, but didn't shoot them. Slide velocity was so extreme on the 12.0gr loads that the slide was coming back so fast it would catch and crush the brass before it could ever leave the gun. I also saw one TINY Glocksmile with that load. That was actually the only Glocksmile I've ever produced with handloads.

I'm fairly certain you could go to 9.5gr or higher with the 200gr XTP (not that you really need to). McNett posted 38,500psi for 10.0gr 800-X under the 200gr XTP, and I believe all of his loads were with MAGNUM primers. I would guess pressure would be a little lower with standard primers.
Old 05-24-2011, 18:26   #69
nickE10mm
F.S.F.O.S.

Hey, as long as it worked in YOUR gun and you were keeping tabs on everything, it doesnt sound that unreasonable.

As for my 200gr load, yes, I've read of people going higher but I don't know if I wanna do that just yet... If at all. 200gr XTP at 1325-1350 is plenty enough.

Why do I carry a 10mm?
Old 05-24-2011, 18:43   #70
21Carrier
Until I Gota 29

Wow, if you're hitting 1300+fps already, then you don't need to go any further. That would be a devastating bullet.
Old 05-24-2011, 18:53   #71
nickE10mm
F.S.F.O.S.

Quote:
Wow, if you're hitting 1300+fps already, then you don't need to go any further. That would be a devastating bullet.
I hit 1320 max with 9.3gr 800X in the longslide. Average was less than that but I think I can easily hit 1325 average, safely.

Why do I carry a 10mm?
Old 05-26-2011, 20:28   #72
21Carrier
Until I Gota 29

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickE10mm View Post
I hit 1320 max with 9.3gr 800X in the longslide. Average was less than that but I think I can easily hit 1325 average, safely.
Man, that's a SERIOUS load. You're making almost 800ft-lbs of energy with a 200gr XTP. For a deer, or other similarly sized animal, I would love to see how one of my modified 200gr XTPs would work. I've dove/duck hunted before, but never been deer/hog hunting. My friend and I are gonna start this season, and I'm planning on using a 10mm. I should have a G20 by then (and maybe a Colt Delta Elite, too), but my G29 might have to do (it won't be ideal, but should work). I'll likely take my first animal or two with factory XTPs, but you can bet I'll try out a drilled XTP. Its results in the wax tube were just too good not to try out on live game.

I might actually use a lighter bullet like a 155/180gr XTP. I know most people like the heavier ones, but both of the lighter bullets have shown over 12+" of penetration in the wax tube. Even being conservative, that should translate into 18+" in tissue. I think that would be plenty, plus the extra velocity/energy of the lighter bullets should help. Damn, I'm excited! This is like waiting for football season.
Old 05-27-2011, 05:45   #73
nickE10mm
F.S.F.O.S.

Quote:
Man, that's a SERIOUS load. You're making almost 800ft-lbs of energy with a 200gr XTP. For a deer, or other similarly sized animal, I would love to see how one of my modified 200gr XTPs would work. I've dove/duck hunted before, but never been deer/hog hunting. My friend and I are gonna start this season, and I'm planning on using a 10mm. I should have a G20 by then (and maybe a Colt Delta Elite, too), but my G29 might have to do (it won't be ideal, but should work). I'll likely take my first animal or two with factory XTPs, but you can bet I'll try out a drilled XTP. Its results in the wax tube were just too good not to try out on live game.

I might actually use a lighter bullet like a 155/180gr XTP. I know most people like the heavier ones, but both of the lighter bullets have shown over 12+" of penetration in the wax tube. Even being conservative, that should translate into 18+" in tissue. I think that would be plenty, plus the extra velocity/energy of the lighter bullets should help. Damn, I'm excited! This is like waiting for football season.

HA! It IS tough to wait for seasons ... I hear ya. It seems like about April every year I get the "fever" really bad and I'm not even CLOSE to season.

FWIW about the bullet.... just keep this in mind: its not the TISSUE of the animal you're worried about, its the BONES. A nuclear 10mm 155gr, or even a 135gr load would probably be just fine for deer **IF** you could guarantee that no bones would stop it during its traversal of the animal's body... but you can NEVER guarantee that. Even on a smallish deer, you will probably hit a (small) bone or two. You do NOT want that bullet hitting a bone and exploding and not penetrating. You want FULL PENETRATION on any angle shot you might have to take. I'm dead serious. I would honestly stick with 180grain loads and up. Not saying that less won't "work" but you're opening yourself up to a situation where you could be sitting outside in 10 hours in the cold .... for many days.... and FINALLY get ONE SHOT at a deer ... and then take the shot and never find the deer..... only to find out it died a slow death because a bullet didn't do its job.

My recommendation, as I mentioned, is to stick with heavier bullets for deer and hog.

Why do I carry a 10mm?

Last edited by nickE10mm; 05-27-2011 at 13:59..
Old 05-27-2011, 13:54   #74
21Carrier
Until I Gota 29

You're right, I don't want to cause the thing to suffer needlessly (or myself, waiting around in the cold). Although, Alabama winters aren't exactly as bad as your winters. Was that tornado in MO anywhere close to you? It sounds like it was awful. I guess the world is really gonna end soon.
Old 05-27-2011, 13:57   #75
nickE10mm
F.S.F.O.S.

Quote:
You're right, I don't want to cause the thing to suffer needlessly (or myself, waiting around in the cold). Although, Alabama winters aren't exactly as bad as your winters. Was that tornado in MO anywhere close to you? It sounds like it was awful. I guess the world is really gonna end soon.
Yep ... there were actually two that went through St Louis ... and one of them I drive directly UNDER on the way home from work ... scary stuff, since we were all in gridlock on the interstate, trapped.

10mm Reloading Forum

The one that actually touched down later that night was about 5-6 miles away from my house...

Why do I carry a 10mm?

Last edited by nickE10mm; 05-27-2011 at 13:58..
Old 05-27-2011, 14:42   #76
21Carrier
Until I Gota 29

That's crazy. We are so used to the weathermen saying "Get to cover, tornado's coming" that we usually ignore it down here. I think that will change. If you didn't see the special on Discovery channel this past Sunday, you should watch it. Jesus. They got some amazing video footage. I wasn't within a mile of any of the 200+ tornadoes, but it was still pretty crazy. They were all around us, hitting friends, relatives, work, it was wild. When we saw live footage of that massive EF-5 eating a mile-wide path through Tuscaloosa (on the way to where I live), we knew it was on.
Old 05-27-2011, 14:51   #77
nickE10mm
F.S.F.O.S.

Quote:
That's crazy. We are so used to the weathermen saying "Get to cover, tornado's coming" that we usually ignore it down here. I think that will change. If you didn't see the special on Discovery channel this past Sunday, you should watch it. Jesus. They got some amazing video footage. I wasn't within a mile of any of the 200+ tornadoes, but it was still pretty crazy. They were all around us, hitting friends, relatives, work, it was wild. When we saw live footage of that massive EF-5 eating a mile-wide path through Tuscaloosa (on the way to where I live), we knew it was on.
Yep... here in MO its the same way... tornado sirens going off and people walking out to their car, "going to the bar!" or whatever... Nobody seemed to care. Just in the last few days, its seems that the fear has been put back into the people's minds.

Why do I carry a 10mm?
Old 05-27-2011, 15:00   #78
_The_Shadow
Ret. Fireman

There was an F-3 yesterday here in southeast LA, 25 miles north of me the did quite a bit of damage about 200+ yards wide and 12 miles long. There was one which started to touch down about a mile west of my location, we had hail 1/2" to 1" during the event. I had just finished putting tar paper down on my re-roofing of my shop!

God's blessings to those affected by these storms to get their lives back on track!
_The_Shadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2011, 17:47   #79
21Carrier
Until I Gota 29

Man, that sucks, Shadow. Hopefully all of your hard work was not ruined. I have lots of family in New Orleans, and I used to live there and Baton Rouge. Somehow I just now realized that's about the same region that you live in. Good luck, man, I have a feeling this hurricane season is gonna be trouble. The Gulf is already way above normal temperature from what I hear, and higher temps in the water mean more energy in the storms.
Old 05-27-2011, 21:04   #80
_The_Shadow
Ret. Fireman

Famly in the NOLA and BR town, sounds good...Bet you miss the food! Yes the temps in the Gulf are coming up! Maybe the water coming down the Mississippi river will stabilize it some for a little while. My roof is OK for now, was going to start some shingles today...I've needing to redo this since Katrina.

Spoke with my brother a little while ago, he said they had 65 mph winds yesterday in Phenix City, AL. I see you are a ways from him.
_The_Shadow is offline   Reply With Quote