Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 04-21-2011, 15:14   #26
barca101

Fixed the problem

I went to shoot my Glock 19 at the range this afternoon. I replaced the OEM springs that I have not changed since 97 with the XP Wolff Springs that I purchased from Brownell. I shot approx. 150 of the department issued 147 gr. Federal JHP HST without any FTF. I shot it one handed, limp wristed, from the hip, double tap, and rapid fire without any problems. If you guys are having similar problems, it's a cheap fix and don't need to buy new followers and magazines. YMMV.
barca101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2011, 15:17   #27
barca101

I forgot to add, I shot it with the SF X300 attached to the 19. Also, I meant to write since 2007 and not 1997. Duh!
barca101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2011, 16:06   #28
LV_G26

There have definitely been reports of this problem before, especially it seems with some Gen3' s in .40 cal.

I have switched to all Gen 4's for my .40cal Glocks and have had great success with my Surefire X300 on my Gen 4 G23 and Gen 4 G22.

I have not seen any reports of these issues with weapons mounted lights on the Gen4 .40 cals.

Has anyone else heard of these issues on the Gen4's?
LV_G26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2011, 16:32   #29
Snow and Ash

I have a Gen 3 G19 and a TLR-1 and I have not yet had any problems. I've probably only put 100 rounds through it with the light attached, though.
Old 04-21-2011, 17:32   #30
Roering
Sorting nuts

Is it not staying on when fired or are you having trouble holstering it into your tactical thigh holster?
Old 04-21-2011, 17:38   #31
iofdetiger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roering View Post
Is it not staying on when fired or are you having trouble holstering it into your tactical thigh holster?
Holstering into my thigh holster is always a pain. Glad I made the tactical switch to a tactical chest rig with a tactically mounted holster.
iofdetiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2011, 08:48   #32
iofdetiger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captains1911 View Post
I had the same problem with my G23 and TLR-1s, it would frequently FTfeed, the round would be jammed nose down into the bottom of the feed ramp. I replaced all my mag springs with ISMI +power 10 coil and the problem went away. Also, I have no problem loading 13rds into the mags with these springs.

http://www.glockmeister.com/ISMI-Ext...ctinfo/ISMI10/
Thanks again. This looks like it solved the problem. Not a single issues in 200 rounds with the new mag springs.
iofdetiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2011, 22:58   #33
RayB
Retired Member

Interesting thread with a happy ending, no less!

Given the seriousness of the issue, and the timeline involved to resolve it, I'd respectfully recommend that this issue, and the fix for it, become a sticky...

Anyway, great stuff!

--Ray
RayB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2011, 21:47   #34
racer88
NRA & SAF mbr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captains1911 View Post
I had the same problem with my G23 and TLR-1s, it would frequently FTfeed, the round would be jammed nose down into the bottom of the feed ramp. I replaced all my mag springs with ISMI +power 10 coil and the problem went away. Also, I have no problem loading 13rds into the mags with these springs.

http://www.glockmeister.com/ISMI-Ext...ctinfo/ISMI10/
My G23 + TLR1 had this exact same problem. Took light off. No FTFs. And, I was disappointed (that I couldn't use the light). I will order these springs. Thanks!
racer88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2011, 08:36   #35
swinokur

Lights that mount with a latch bar instead of a screw clamp don't seem to have this problem. The Insight weapon lights and the Surefire X300 use latch bars. I had one on my G22 and never had an issue. I moved it to my G30 and later to a G29SF and never had the problem. With the 40 caliber Glocks it seems like it is either a problem for the gitgo or never.

The Surefire X400 uses a screw clamp but I have not headr of the issue with them. The issue with them is sometimes they cost more than the gun !
swinokur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2011, 18:19   #36
RayB
Retired Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by swinokur View Post
Lights that mount with a latch bar instead of a screw clamp don't seem to have this problem. The Insight weapon lights and the Surefire X300 use latch bars...

The Surefire X400 uses a screw clamp but I have not headr of the issue with them. The issue with them is sometimes they cost more than the gun !

Yeah, the LaserMax rail-mounted lasers also use a screw-clamp, and I think this is a consideration for the laser holding zero. A plus or minus variable is no big deal for a weapon light, but for collimating a laser, it matters.

Anyway, the tighter clamping with the screw-clamp setup apparently has a negative effect on the “firing harmonics” of some of the 40 S&W caliber Glocks, while somehow not affecting Glocks of other calibers.

--Ray
Old 05-01-2011, 18:24   #37
swinokur

My M6X is a light laser combo and even with a latch bar holds zero well, and I'm using it on a G29SF with very hot Swamp Fox ammo. no issues.
swinokur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2011, 08:55   #38
racer88
NRA & SAF mbr

OK... Got my springs from Glockmeister. I have four G23 mags, so I installed 2 of the new springs, leaving 2 mags with the OEM springs. Went to the range yesterday and tested the OEM vs. the Glockmeister 10-coil power springs. Ammo was WWB FMJ. TLR-1 light.

With the OEM mags, I got about 6 failures to feed per 100 rounds. With the Glockmeister springs... ZERO failures.

As far as the new springs' resistance to loading, I felt they were a little stiffer. But, I use an Uplula mag loader (LOVE IT!). So, it's simply not an issue.

I'm thankful for this forum and the collective intelligence I can access. I had removed my TLR-1 from my G23, as it is one of my HD pistols, and I don't want failures like that. I will test some more, of course. But, I'm very happy to have solved this issue! Thanks GT!!

Last edited by racer88; 05-14-2011 at 08:56..
Old 05-14-2011, 09:11   #39
barstoolguru
texas proud

Send a message via ICQ to barstoolguru Send a message via Yahoo to barstoolguru
get rid of the light........ why would you want to hold a light on someone with the gun pionted at them at the same time. we just had a shooting by a police dept here in ft worth where the cop was trying to turn on the light on and shot the person by
accident
barstoolguru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2011, 09:56   #40
racer88
NRA & SAF mbr

Quote:
Originally Posted by barstoolguru View Post
get rid of the light........ why would you want to hold a light on someone with the gun pionted at them at the same time. we just had a shooting by a police dept here in ft worth where the cop was trying to turn on the light on and shot the person by
accident
I fully understand the pros and cons of gun-mounted lights. I've weighed them... and decided to keep it. Everything has pros and cons. There is no perfect set-up. Just got through 'splainin' this to a friend who is considering his first gun. No such thing as the perfect set-up.

If an intruder is in my house, the first thing he'll see is my light. The next thing he'll see is another "white light." Actually, the inside of my home is dimly lit at night. So, I may not need the light at all. But, I like having it there if needed for any reason.

If a cop confused the trigger with the light switch... well... does that even need any further commentary?? Seriously. How does one confuse the two? Kinda like confusing the brake and the gas in a car. If you can't figure that out, it's long past time you gave it up.
Sights, Optics and Lasers

Last edited by racer88; 05-14-2011 at 10:10..
Old 05-14-2011, 10:35   #41
barstoolguru
texas proud

Send a message via ICQ to barstoolguru Send a message via Yahoo to barstoolguru
quote: If an intruder is in my house, the first thing he'll see is my light. The next thing he'll see is another "white light." Actually, the inside of my home is dimly lit at night. So, I may not need the light at all. But, I like having it there if needed for any reason.

that sounds fine but what if you are out looking around the house and one of your kids pop up. you might have to point the gun at them to ID them and thats a bad thing. lots of LE train with a flashlight and gun to avoid this problem. a laser is in my opion better for low light Situations like getting out of bed fuzzy headed. Not only will it aid in aiming but when used proper it will not give away you position and hopefully avoid a stray bullet hitting some one that it was not intended for. Crimson trace puts out a FREE cd on lasers. Get one and it might change your mind

Last edited by barstoolguru; 05-14-2011 at 10:36..
barstoolguru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2011, 10:56   #42
Joshhtn
Rastaman!

Quote:
Originally Posted by racer88 View Post
OK... Got my springs from Glockmeister. I have four G23 mags, so I installed 2 of the new springs, leaving 2 mags with the OEM springs. Went to the range yesterday and tested the OEM vs. the Glockmeister 10-coil power springs. Ammo was WWB FMJ. TLR-1 light.

With the OEM mags, I got about 6 failures to feed per 100 rounds. With the Glockmeister springs... ZERO failures.

As far as the new springs' resistance to loading, I felt they were a little stiffer. But, I use an Uplula mag loader (LOVE IT!). So, it's simply not an issue.

I'm thankful for this forum and the collective intelligence I can access. I had removed my TLR-1 from my G23, as it is one of my HD pistols, and I don't want failures like that. I will test some more, of course. But, I'm very happy to have solved this issue! Thanks GT!!

Glad you got it all figured out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric View Post
Dude, you are ****ing banned.
Joshhtn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2011, 10:59   #43
racer88
NRA & SAF mbr

Quote:
a laser is in my opion better for low light Situations like getting out of bed fuzzy headed. Not only will it aid in aiming but when used proper it will not give away you position and hopefully avoid a stray bullet hitting some one that it was not intended for. Crimson trace puts out a FREE cd on lasers. Get one and it might change your mind
haha.... look at my photo (above) again. Laser, too.
Old 05-14-2011, 11:10   #44
hoffy

I have heard of the problems, and am sure they exist, but have been lucky myself. I have a SureFire 200, and the Glock light/laser, and have had zero issues with either on a G-35, G-20, G-29, XD 357, HK P-2000SK (the Glock only fits that IIRC) .

A friends kid got hired by a local LEO and he needed a brush-up to qualify and he had a G 22 with a TLR, and he ran a few hundred WWB and hundreds more of my hand loads with zero issues, that gun was a gen 3. Hope you get it worked out.
Old 05-14-2011, 15:28   #45
Captains1911

Quote:
accident
Completely irrelevant to the topic of discussion.

To the people here whose problems have been solved by my suggestion, always glad to help. Just keep an eye on those springs and you should be GTG.

Last edited by Captains1911; 05-14-2011 at 15:30..
Captains1911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2011, 21:42   #46
RayB
Retired Member

Quote:
accident

I wouldn't dismiss a well-proven concept and device on account of one dumb cop!

As racer88 so aptly put it, "If a cop confused the trigger with the light switch... well... does that even need any further commentary?? Seriously. How does one confuse the two? Kinda like confusing the brake and the gas in a car. If you can't figure that out, it's long past time you gave it up."

Attached are two pics of my G21 with weapon lights and lasers...

How in the hell would a trained professional confuse those three activators--laser, light, and trigger?

That's one cop that should be flying a desk, since today's cops are next to impossible to fire! **

There (probably) goes the next Chief of Police...

--Ray

** Forgive me--I'm from Wisconsin!

Last edited by RayB; 05-22-2011 at 12:09..
Old 05-29-2011, 12:33   #47
racer88
NRA & SAF mbr

Put another 150 rounds through my G23 with light attached (and new Glockmeister mag springs). Not a single hiccup! Problem solved! Thanks again!