GlockTalk.com
Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups



  
SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-03-2011, 15:59   #1
madcitycop
Senior Member
 
madcitycop's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 1,458
Milwaukee Police Chief misses the issue

http://www.officer.com/news/10279025...-carry-measure

Umm I don't think I've ever seen a documented incident anywhere that a permit holder suddenly decided that because he was legally able to have a weapon on him he was going to shoot at a cop. It seems he missed the point, I agree there should be training and a permit system to weed out the nut jobs. But not having a permit does not put an electrical field around your body so if you waistband a pistol you are rendered unconscious. I agree carrying a concealed weapon should be a felony. But 90% of the time dudes a felon anyways so he gets pinched for Felon in possession...
madcitycop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2011, 16:14   #2
IndyGunFreak
RIP My Friends
 
IndyGunFreak's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2001
Location: Indiana
Posts: 29,705
Send a message via ICQ to IndyGunFreak Send a message via AIM to IndyGunFreak Send a message via MSN to IndyGunFreak Send a message via Yahoo to IndyGunFreak Send a message via Skype™ to IndyGunFreak


Blood will run in the streets!

Just like it did in Florida and Michigan and Iowa, and Arizona, and New Mexico, and.. well, everywhere else that has introduced a CCW law... Even though it's NEVER happened.

You can't argue emotion w/ facts, because they just get more emotional.

IGF
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by GioaJack View Post
The fire is no longer my major concern since I am leaving immediately on an unexpected road trip to Indianapolis. Watch the national news over the next couple of days, I'll wave... well, only if I'm cuffed in the front.
RIP Jack
IndyGunFreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2011, 21:14   #3
ICARRY2
NRA Life Member
 
ICARRY2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 3,685
They don't need to make ccw without a permit a felony. Just make possession by a prohibited possessor a felony (if it isn't already) with a minimum mandatory sentence of five years with a maximum of 20 years to be served consecutively with any other sentence.

No need to jerk around some guy with no criminal record and make them a felon like some other states. Go after the real criminals.
ICARRY2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2011, 21:22   #4
janice6
Platinum Membership
NRA
 
janice6's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: minnesota
Posts: 17,334


Quote:
Originally Posted by IndyGunFreak View Post
Blood will run in the streets!

Just like it did in Florida and Michigan and Iowa, and Arizona, and New Mexico, and.. well, everywhere else that has introduced a CCW law... Even though it's NEVER happened.

You can't argue emotion w/ facts, because they just get more emotional.

IGF
Come on folks, you have an example of how unlocked guns cause crazy people and blood in the streets, right next door in Minnesota. Check how many cops we have killed.

Maroon.
__________________
janice6

"Peace is that brief, glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading". Anonymous

Earp: Not everyone who knows you hates you.
DOC: I know it ain't always easy bein' my friend....but I'll BE THERE when you need me.
janice6 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2011, 21:57   #5
IndyGunFreak
RIP My Friends
 
IndyGunFreak's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2001
Location: Indiana
Posts: 29,705
Send a message via ICQ to IndyGunFreak Send a message via AIM to IndyGunFreak Send a message via MSN to IndyGunFreak Send a message via Yahoo to IndyGunFreak Send a message via Skype™ to IndyGunFreak


Quote:
Originally Posted by janice6 View Post
Come on folks, you have an example of how unlocked guns cause crazy people and blood in the streets, right next door in Minnesota. Check how many cops we have killed.

Maroon.
I forgot... Blood ran in the streets in Minnesota, but nowhere else..

IGF
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by GioaJack View Post
The fire is no longer my major concern since I am leaving immediately on an unexpected road trip to Indianapolis. Watch the national news over the next couple of days, I'll wave... well, only if I'm cuffed in the front.
RIP Jack
IndyGunFreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2011, 22:05   #6
kmb
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Oakdale, MN
Posts: 97
Quote:
Originally Posted by IndyGunFreak View Post
I forgot... Blood ran in the streets in Minnesota, but nowhere else..

IGF
Hmmm...I must have been gone that day..
kmb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2011, 22:14   #7
IndyGunFreak
RIP My Friends
 
IndyGunFreak's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2001
Location: Indiana
Posts: 29,705
Send a message via ICQ to IndyGunFreak Send a message via AIM to IndyGunFreak Send a message via MSN to IndyGunFreak Send a message via Yahoo to IndyGunFreak Send a message via Skype™ to IndyGunFreak


Quote:
Originally Posted by kmb View Post
Hmmm...I must have been gone that day..
Dude, don't you ever read Violence Policy Center or Brady Campaign press releases?

They laid it all out for you..
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by GioaJack View Post
The fire is no longer my major concern since I am leaving immediately on an unexpected road trip to Indianapolis. Watch the national news over the next couple of days, I'll wave... well, only if I'm cuffed in the front.
RIP Jack
IndyGunFreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2011, 07:04   #8
IndyGunFreak
RIP My Friends
 
IndyGunFreak's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2001
Location: Indiana
Posts: 29,705
Send a message via ICQ to IndyGunFreak Send a message via AIM to IndyGunFreak Send a message via MSN to IndyGunFreak Send a message via Yahoo to IndyGunFreak Send a message via Skype™ to IndyGunFreak


Quote:
Originally Posted by ICARRY2 View Post
They don't need to make ccw without a permit a felony. Just make possession by a prohibited possessor a felony (if it isn't already) with a minimum mandatory sentence of five years with a maximum of 20 years to be served consecutively with any other sentence.
That would certainly do it... the problem is though.. this would be feel good legislation (like most "get tough on crime" legislation). Yeah, they could charge them, then as the plea bargain process went along, the charge would be dropped from "illegal possession" to some other minor felony/misdemeanor, and the point would be lost...

Then, you give them a 5yr sentence, typically they serve anywhere from 25-65 percent of the sentence they were given. So by the time it's over, you've probably barely added 1-2yrs in their sentence. If you stack that on top of a 5-10yr sentence for armed robbery, it's point gets lost.

Then you go to the other end of the spectrum, you make minimum mandatory sentences, no plea bargains, "zero tolerance" type laws... Then you get people getting caught up in a mess when they had no intention of really doing anything wrong (ie, a girl being charged as a drug dealer at school, because she had tylenol in her purse).

I wish I had an easy answer.

IGF
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by GioaJack View Post
The fire is no longer my major concern since I am leaving immediately on an unexpected road trip to Indianapolis. Watch the national news over the next couple of days, I'll wave... well, only if I'm cuffed in the front.
RIP Jack

Last edited by IndyGunFreak; 06-06-2011 at 11:12..
IndyGunFreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2011, 12:03   #9
Gunnut 45/454
Senior Member
 
Gunnut 45/454's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Posts: 14,040
WI -we are talking about the state that jacks you up for actually carrying a firearm OC just because your within a 1000' of a school! Can't even step outside your door with one if your within 1000' of a school! And if you live in Madison there is no place you can carrry that your are not within 1000' of a school! And you actually expect them to get CC law passed! Good luck!
__________________
Gunnut45/454-One shot one kill!

Last edited by Gunnut 45/454; 06-06-2011 at 12:27..
Gunnut 45/454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2011, 19:32   #10
Schrag4
Senior Member
 
Schrag4's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Wichita, KS
Posts: 832
I must have missed something. In the article the chief cites 2 recent shootouts between police and "armed, reckless assailants" as a reason to restrict conceal carry permits. Isn't it reasonable to assume that they probably wouldn't have been able to obtain such permits anyway? IMO he definitely "misses the issue" as you say.
Schrag4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2011, 20:36   #11
rfb45colt
safe-cracker
 
rfb45colt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: WI's Northwoods
Posts: 4,666
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunnut 45/454 View Post
WI -we are talking about the state that jacks you up for actually carrying a firearm OC just because your within a 1000' of a school! Can't even step outside your door with one if your within 1000' of a school! And if you live in Madison there is no place you can carrry that your are not within 1000' of a school! And you actually expect them to get CC law passed! Good luck!
https://www.facebook.com/notes/vicki...50212623123150

This will be announced tomorrow at a WI legislature's joint committee meeting scheduled for 12 noon, according to Darren LaSorte of the NRA, the NRA lobbyist who's been working to get CC in WI since 2001. It details a "compromise" CC bill that will have bi-partisan support and will easily pass the legislature. The votes just are not there for permitless "constitutionnal" carry at this time, but there's plenty of support for this.

Some details are:

there will be permits required with same background check with WI DOJ as required to buy handgun ($13)

must be WI resident and 21 or older (no non-res permits issued)

there will be training required, but just like in FL. No specific course or time-length required. Prior training is good, hunter safety is good, ex military is good, LE training is good... any "certified" firearm safety training will suffice.

NO effect on open carry, but to carry in 1,000' school zone, permit is required, either OC or CC, per federal law (WI cannot change fed law).

OC in vehicle WITHOUT permit (handguns only... laws remain the same for long guns) but permit is still required in 1,000' school zones.

No fingerprints.

Permit cost about $50 for 5 years (less upon renewal).

Database of permit holders available to LE ONLY, NO public access.

nothing on reciprocity mentioned here, but current shall-issue bill has reciprocity provisions, I assume they'll stay the same, which was WI will accept permit from any State (both res or non-res permits) that requires background check, except that will likely now require a minimum training standard also, just like WI residents must have.

Current bill also states WI residents must have WI permit.

Current bill also does not require photo on permit, but just like MN, permit must be accompanied by another "official" ID with a photo, like a DL, to be valid.

I assume the above items in current shall-issue bill will go unchanged because they were not specifically mentioned in "compromise". We'll know for sure tomorrow.

I started a new thread on this.
__________________
Average response time to a 911 call is 23 minutes.
Average response time of a 1911 in .45acp is 850 fps.

Last edited by rfb45colt; 06-08-2011 at 21:27..
rfb45colt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2011, 09:27   #12
sourdough44
Senior Member
 
sourdough44's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: WI
Posts: 2,324
That will do for now, let's get it signed into law.
sourdough44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2011, 10:56   #13
Darkangel1846
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Oregon
Posts: 3,683
I'm sorry but that cop has a leftist agenda, and his remarks are just plain stupid!
__________________
Peter 5:8
"Be sober, be vigilant; Because your adversary the Devil walks about like a roaring lion, seeking who he may devour."
Darkangel1846 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2011, 15:32   #14
vafish
Senior Member
 
vafish's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Commonwealth of Virginia
Posts: 23,746
Quote:
Originally Posted by IndyGunFreak View Post
I forgot... Blood ran in the streets in Minnesota, but nowhere else..

IGF
Blood can't run in the streets of Minnesota, it would freeze first.
__________________
"If your plan is for one year, plant rice.
If your plan is for ten years, plant trees.
If your plan is for one hundred years,
educate children." -- Confucius
vafish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2011, 17:30   #15
Deaf Smith
Senior Member
 
Deaf Smith's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2000
Location: Texican in Texas (where else?)
Posts: 8,997
Vermont has NO CCW statute. You can pack openly or concealed with no stink'en permit. Same goes for Alaska.

And no 'blood in the streats'.

That Milwaukee Police Chief is just a wannabe tyrant.

Deaf
__________________
“We can evade reality, but we cannot evade the consequences of evading reality” Ayn Rand
Deaf Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2011, 18:02   #16
IndyGunFreak
RIP My Friends
 
IndyGunFreak's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2001
Location: Indiana
Posts: 29,705
Send a message via ICQ to IndyGunFreak Send a message via AIM to IndyGunFreak Send a message via MSN to IndyGunFreak Send a message via Yahoo to IndyGunFreak Send a message via Skype™ to IndyGunFreak


Quote:
Originally Posted by Deaf Smith View Post
Vermont has NO CCW statute. You can pack openly or concealed with no stink'en permit. Same goes for Alaska.

And no 'blood in the streats'.

That Milwaukee Police Chief is just a wannabe tyrant.

Deaf
and Arizona, and in less than a month, Wyoming.

Indiana had a constitutional carry bill that was put out there, but it didn't get much traction. I guess w/ a lifetime CCW.. it really doesn't matter to me.

IGF
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by GioaJack View Post
The fire is no longer my major concern since I am leaving immediately on an unexpected road trip to Indianapolis. Watch the national news over the next couple of days, I'll wave... well, only if I'm cuffed in the front.
RIP Jack
IndyGunFreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2011, 20:26   #17
madcitycop
Senior Member
 
madcitycop's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 1,458
Quote:
Originally Posted by IndyGunFreak View Post
That would certainly do it... the problem is though.. this would be feel good legislation (like most "get tough on crime" legislation). Yeah, they could charge them, then as the plea bargain process went along, the charge would be dropped from "illegal possession" to some other minor felony/misdemeanor, and the point would be lost...

Then, you give them a 5yr sentence, typically they serve anywhere from 25-65 percent of the sentence they were given. So by the time it's over, you've probably barely added 1-2yrs in their sentence. If you stack that on top of a 5-10yr sentence for armed robbery, it's point gets lost.

Then you go to the other end of the spectrum, you make minimum mandatory sentences, no plea bargains, "zero tolerance" type laws... Then you get people getting caught up in a mess when they had no intention of really doing anything wrong (ie, a girl being charged as a drug dealer at school, because she had tylenol in her purse).

I wish I had an easy answer.

IGF
It already exists. In WI a felon in possession is normally pushed up to the US Attorneys Office and they will take and run with it and trust me they dont mess around. Put a guy away for 17 years for it.
madcitycop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2011, 20:58   #18
rfb45colt
safe-cracker
 
rfb45colt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: WI's Northwoods
Posts: 4,666
Quote:
Originally Posted by madcitycop View Post
It already exists. In WI a felon in possession is normally pushed up to the US Attorneys Office and they will take and run with it and trust me they dont mess around. Put a guy away for 17 years for it.
I testified before a fed grand jury on such a case. Felon had a loaded .44mag revolver (stolen gun too). He got 2 yrs for the gun, and 1yr for each round of ammo = 8 yrs. Prosecutor was our current A.G., Van Hollen.
__________________
Average response time to a 911 call is 23 minutes.
Average response time of a 1911 in .45acp is 850 fps.
rfb45colt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2011, 11:43   #19
John Rambo
Raven
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Tampa, Fl.
Posts: 8,074
Why is it always some high ranking cop who speaks out against our second amendment. Don't they remember the days when they actually did things besides pushed paper and had to respect the constitution?
John Rambo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2011, 16:31   #20
Deaf Smith
Senior Member
 
Deaf Smith's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2000
Location: Texican in Texas (where else?)
Posts: 8,997
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vip18971 View Post
Why is it always some high ranking cop who speaks out against our second amendment. Don't they remember the days when they actually did things besides pushed paper and had to respect the constitution?
Most chiefs are appointed by the mayors. So they toe the line as to how the mayor views it least they get canned.

Deaf
__________________
“We can evade reality, but we cannot evade the consequences of evading reality” Ayn Rand
Deaf Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2011, 20:24   #21
JW1178
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 1,985
He is drawing for straws because he has nothing. He doesn't like CCW and so he will say and do anything to be against it.
JW1178 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2011, 13:55   #22
Lockback
Polymerlicious!
 
Lockback's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Ohio
Posts: 1,325
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deaf Smith View Post
Most chiefs are appointed by the mayors. So they toe the line as to how the mayor views it least they get canned.

Deaf
Precisely.
Most police chiefs are political hacks appointed by political hacks.
Talk to the cop in the street or county sheriffs if you want to know what's really going out there. And the vast majority are huge backers of Concealed Carry.
Lockback is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump




All times are GMT -6. The time now is 12:55.



Homepage
FAQ
Forums
Calendar
Advertise
Gallery
GT Wiki
GT Blogs
Social Groups
Classifieds


Users Currently Online: 1,318
356 Members
962 Guests

Most users ever online: 2,244
Nov 11, 2013 at 11:42