Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 07-02-2011, 02:55   #1
dwalker84

Need help - cheap 9mm - friend was raped

My fiance's friend from work has an abusive ex that's been stalking/harrassing her for months. Yesterday he came to her house, and beat her senseless, raped her, and threatened to kill her. The police arrested him and he is currently locked up, but no telling when/how quickly he will get out.

She's been asking us to take her to the range and teach her about guns and how to shoot - she knows absolutely nothing about firearms, but after speaking to her, she has made up her mind to carry and take this seriously. I'm taking her tomorrow first thing - but she needs to get a handgun. Her main problem is money - I told her the best bet would to be to pawn whatever she can, and get a new/used glock26 - I have a feeling she won't be able to get the money required to afford a glock.

My question is: What are a few affordable but RELIABLE pistols, that are smaller or around the size of a g26 - 9mm is preferred but 380 is as low as I think she should go. Her ex is 300+lb's, I'm concerned about a 380's ability to penetrate reliably.

Any suggestions?
dwalker84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2011, 03:01   #2
captdreifus
aSun666

J frame. 360 shipped from buds or jet guns.
Old 07-02-2011, 03:03   #3
tehama

Quote:
Originally Posted by captdreifus View Post
J frame. 360 shipped from buds or jet guns.
Will that J frame have too much bite for her though?
tehama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2011, 03:30   #4
Foxtrotx1

J frame seems to be the default answer. I challenge that suggestion. Good luck getting her to enjoy shooting a J frame enough to be proficient.

A gun that fits her hand and makes her want to shoot would be my suggestion. If she loves a j frame, thats great.

Eagle Scout.
Foxtrotx1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2011, 03:33   #5
3rdgen40
.45 fanatic

If this was a friend of mine,I would go find her ex when he gets out and have a "talk" with him...
Old 07-02-2011, 03:42   #6
voyager4520
-----

Ruger SR9C, Ruger LC9

Less concealable but still reliable: S&W Sigma(HEAVY trigger), Ruger P-series, police trade-in S&W 3rd Gen.

Taurus revolvers are actually good quality. The only downsides to a revolver are a little heavier trigger pull, less capacity, and how long it takes to reload even with speed loaders.

Last edited by voyager4520; 07-02-2011 at 03:45..
voyager4520 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2011, 04:36   #7
datnvan

if u have an extra one, teach her with it and then let her borrow it until she can afford the same one or something similar. but it seems the first thing that should be done is get a restraining order. of course that wont stop him from coming near her but does give her more legal "backing" if he shows up again and she needs to defend herself.

Last edited by datnvan; 07-02-2011 at 04:39..
datnvan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2011, 05:28   #8
debbert

I know that this will probably sound ridiculous, especially here at GT but since her budget is so limited, why not start off with a Hi Point?

I know, I know... don't flame me!

I've heard that they're reliable and they're definitely affordable, even if it's just a temporary thing until she can upgrade to something a bit nicer.

Here's a link to their 9mm with a suggested retail of $165.

http://www.hi-pointfirearms.com/hand...dguns_9mm.html
debbert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2011, 05:40   #9
BuckyP
Lifetime Membership

She should shoot a few different guns and get a feel for how they are. Depending on how much she is going to practice, a revolver is not a bad option. How will she carry? If recoil is problem, an all steel revolver could be the answer.

Don't discount the used market either.
BuckyP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2011, 05:51   #10
Just1More

Don't get a semi-automatic for someone who doesn't know anything about guns. Get a revolver.
Just1More is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2011, 05:59   #11
debbert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Just1More View Post
Don't get a semi-automatic for someone who doesn't know anything about guns. Get a revolver.
I assumed, from the OP's original post, that she would become familiarized with firearms, especially semi-automatics.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwalker84 View Post
...She's been asking us to take her to the range and teach her about guns and how to shoot...
debbert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2011, 06:05   #12
sdsnet
CLM Number 43
NRA Member

Find a nice used CZ 75. Have her rent a few guns including a revolver with some length of barrel beyond snubbie. A few different types so she can tell you what she prefers and can shoot well first.
Ham Shack Club # 1995
Walther Club # 1995

-My username has nothing to do with Students for Democratic Society-

Last edited by sdsnet; 07-02-2011 at 06:10..
sdsnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2011, 06:12   #13
BuckyP
Lifetime Membership

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdsnet View Post
Find a nice used CZ 75. Have her rent a few guns including a revolver with some length of barrel beyond snubbie. A few different types so she can tell you what she prefers and can shoot well first.
Odd recommendation for a new shooter. Either carry cocked and locked, or manually lower the hammer? Unless you meant one of the decock models?
BuckyP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2011, 06:27   #14
woodrowNC

and a good folder from walmart with at least 5in of blade.
woodrowNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2011, 06:39   #15
Aahzz
Who?

The trigger is heavier, but for a small affordable 9 the Kel-Tec P11 gets generally good reviews. A used S&W 3913 is a good manageable size, but they're getting harder to find and are going up in price. Ruger SR9c or LC9, as mentioned above, could be good, but I'd worry about the LC9 recoil for a new shooter.

For .380, a Bersa Thunder is affordable and a sweet shooter, but ammo cost is high and you have concerns against a large attacker.
Old 07-02-2011, 06:45   #16
dwhite53

Get a J-frame and load it up with some factory target rounds. Won't recoil as bad as standard 38 Special loads. It will be pretty controllable.

After getting raped she's not going to mind the recoil.

Wheelguns are simple, easy to operate.

All the Best,
D. White
dwhite53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2011, 06:48   #17
CBennett

Quote:
^ This is 100% the RIGHT answer if your not willing to train and learn you have no business with a semi auto..That said it seems from the OP statement she wants to learn and go to the range..so if she is willing to learn and train(failure type drills in case it jams up for some reason) if go with a smaller 9m ..how about a LC9 or a PPS they have a slim profile and decent(smaller) size grips for a bit smaller hands id really look at those 2.

If she thinks she wont be able to clear a malfunction in quick order stick with the Revolver the one id look at is the Ruger LCR very manageable with a great trigger. IMO right now out of the box the best SD Revolver on the market.

Last edited by CBennett; 07-02-2011 at 06:50..
CBennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2011, 06:52   #18
CBennett

Quote:
^ This is 100% the RIGHT answer if your not willing to train and learn you have no business with a semi auto..That said it seems from the OP statement she wants to learn and go to the range..so if she is willing to learn and train(failure type drills in case it jams up for some reason) if go with a smaller 9m ..how about a LC9 or a PPS they have a slim profile and decent(smaller) size grips for a bit smaller hands id really look at those 2.

the LC9 is $389 give or take

The LCR about the same I think maybe $10 more so both less than $400

If money is real tight the Kel Tec PF9 is also a decent deal at around $250

Last edited by CBennett; 07-02-2011 at 06:55..
CBennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2011, 07:01   #19
bug

If this was my friend and she was in the same position as your friend is, the wife and I would be taking her gun shopping.
I would make up the difference from what ever money she had and buy her the gun that fits her Hand/body-type.

find out if she can rack the slide, hold the gun properly, work all the controls.

Help her find A CCW class.
Help her find a self defense class.
Help her find someone to help deal with being raped.

Last edited by bug; 07-02-2011 at 07:09..
bug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2011, 07:06   #20
bug

Quote:
If she is interested in gaining proficiency in shooting because of what happened she will be fine.
A lot of women make better shooters because many have no preconceived notions on how to shoot and how to hold a firearm. + they listen!! men not as much.
I see it every week in our CCW class.