GlockTalk.com
Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 06-19-2011, 19:52   #21
inspectorjj

This is my first post on this forum and I wanted to thank oceanbob for inviting me to this forum. From what I have read, the members seem to be very knowledgeable.

I was interested in this thread because I also just obtained a Glock 20 recently. The ammo that I plan on shooting, after a lot of research, is Buffalo Bore 10mm 180 gr. JHP. for home protection, and Double Tap 10mm 200gr WFNGC Hardcast for use as my hunting sidearm. I was on the fence about a barrel since I wasn't planning on reloading at this time. I ultimately chose the Lone Wolf Tactical 5.15 in. barrel to get above the 5 inch mark. I also added a 22 lb. guiderod spring due to the fact that I wanted to stay above 700lbs. of energy without ejecting my rounds 30 feet and the slide slamming the back of the gun.

These are the upgrades that I made based on my personal preferences as to what the gun needs to do for me. As you can see from the differing opinions on here, a Glock can be easily personalized for what you want to use it for. All will agree that is a good thing. The first question should be to yourself, asking exactly "what do you plan on using your Glock for"? Once you answer that question, the others come easy.
inspectorjj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2011, 20:32   #22
alwaysshootin

Quote:
Originally Posted by inspectorjj View Post
This is my first post on this forum and I wanted to thank oceanbob for inviting me to this forum. From what I have read, the members seem to be very knowledgeable.

I was interested in this thread because I also just obtained a Glock 20 recently. The ammo that I plan on shooting, after a lot of research, is Buffalo Bore 10mm 180 gr. JHP. for home protection, and Double Tap 10mm 200gr WFNGC Hardcast for use as my hunting sidearm. I was on the fence about a barrel since I wasn't planning on reloading at this time. I ultimately chose the Lone Wolf Tactical 5.15 in. barrel to get above the 5 inch mark. I also added a 22 lb. guiderod spring due to the fact that I wanted to stay above 700lbs. of energy without ejecting my rounds 30 feet and the slide slamming the back of the gun.

These are the upgrades that I made based on my personal preferences as to what the gun needs to do for me. As you can see from the differing opinions on here, a Glock can be easily personalized for what you want to use it for. All will agree that is a good thing. The first question should be to yourself, asking exactly "what do you plan on using your Glock for"? Once you answer that question, the others come easy.
You obviously know what you want, and, what you are talking about! Welcome to GT.
Old 06-19-2011, 22:49   #23
inspectorjj

Quote:
Originally Posted by alwaysshootin View Post
You obviously know what you want, and, what you are talking about! Welcome to GT.
Thank you very much alwaysshootin, glad to be here. I hope I can learn a few more things by being part of this group.

So as not to be entirely off topic, the only other upgrade to my Glock 20 will be to add the extended slide release. That is how this Glock will stay. Anything else will require me to have another Glock 20.
Old 06-20-2011, 07:20   #24
_The_Shadow
Ret. Fireman

InspectorJJ, Welcome to the forum!

BTW, instead of a second G-20 you might try a G-29...Listen how that sounds rolling off the tounge...try a G-29!
_The_Shadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2011, 13:41   #25
inspectorjj

Quote:
Originally Posted by _The_Shadow View Post
InspectorJJ, Welcome to the forum!

BTW, instead of a second G-20 you might try a G-29...Listen how that sounds rolling off the tounge...try a G-29!
I thought about a G29 once. Then I took an aspirin.
Old 06-20-2011, 14:24   #26
mudrush
Deceased

Quote:
Originally Posted by 21Carrier View Post
It seems the three main barrel manufacturers that people use around here are Lone Wolf, KKM, and Storm Lake. Supposedly, the Lone Wolf and Storm Lake have tighter, better supported chambers (that is from Mudrush, who owns Swamp Fox ammo). That being said, MANY people have KKMs around here, and seem very satisfied with them, and use them with some mean loads (that would be you, Kegs). Bar-Sto also makes a great barrel, but they are pretty expensive.

For ammo, turn to Swamp Fox, Buffalo Bore, or Double Tap (in that order, in my opinion). They make hot stuff. They all have stuff that's appropriate for both SD and hunting. If you don't reload, you need to. It will open a whole new world for your Glock 20.
Well, That's just my opinion based on my tests. KKM is an excellent barrel with support that is much improved over the stock Glock, but it reaches it limit earlier that LWD or Storm Lake.

My tests are nearly Identical to the results that are shown in the pics here.
http://glocktalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1332131

But LWD and ST, using the same ammo batch didn't have this bulge.

I didn't test using a Stock Glock since I have established it's limits in the past to be well below KKM, LWD or ST.
mudrush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2011, 19:12   #27
inspectorjj

Quote:
Originally Posted by mudrush View Post
Well, That's just my opinion based on my tests. KKM is an excellent barrel with support that is much improved over the stock Glock, but it reaches it limit earlier that LWD or Storm Lake.

My tests are nearly Identical to the results that are shown in the pics here.
http://glocktalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1332131

But LWD and ST, using the same ammo batch didn't have this bulge.

I didn't test using a Stock Glock since I have established it's limits in the past to be well below KKM, LWD or ST.
Very good information. Glad I got a LWD.
Old 07-07-2011, 19:14   #28
inspectorjj

I just finished upgrading my G20 to serve my purposes. See photo below.
Added:
22 lb. guiderod spring
Lone Wolf Tactical 5.15 Barrel (Non-ported)
Extended Slide Release
Slug plug
Pacmayr Grips

I did not add the extended mag release. I didn't want the extra hanging off the gun. I opted for the non ported barrel to not have flash in my eyes and to satisfy the 5 inch requirements for hunting purposes. I ordered some 180 Buffalo Bore in which two shells out of one of the boxes were too fat and would not fit into the LWD barrel or the factory barrel. Looks like I will go with the Double Tap 200gr WFNGC Hardcast for hunting and the DT 180gr. Controlled Expansion JHP for home protection.

The 10 Ring

Tags
10mm, ammo, barrel, glock 20