SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 07-30-2011, 01:24   #361
gary newport

Quote:
Originally Posted by AustinTx View Post
I'm not quite sure what to make of this. It's a pretty poor excuse for Glock's shoddy design. You are entirely correct about the 45 ACP being a low pressure round and being the only reason they didn't have KBs, with all the Glock 45s.

The 10mm that you refer to, is actually a European design, by Norma.

The 45 ACP is over 100 years old. It shouldn't be a surprise to the Europeans, about straight wall pistol cases. The Glock 21 is the new kid on the block. Glock is the only gun that I've ever seen a bulged 45 ACP case from.
"Glock's shoddy design" for .45 ACP? "...the 45 ACP being a low pressure round..." is what the .45 ACP Glocks were designed to shoot. "The Glock 21 is the only gun that I've ever seen a bulged 45 ACP case from." After 20,000 rounds, give or take a few thousand, I've never seen a "bulged" case emerge from my .45 Glocks--ACP or GAP!

G17, G17RTF2, G19, G21, G21SF (2), G26, G30, G30SF, G34 (2), G37 (2), G38, G39
gary newport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2011, 16:34   #362
10mmLover

In all honesty, I have had 0 issues with case bulges in my 10mm, 40S&W, or the 357sig. run'em through my Lee dies and shoot'em. my S&W 1006 bulges cases worse than my Glocks!
10mmLover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2011, 23:16   #363
AustinTx

Quote:
Originally Posted by gary newport View Post
"Glock's shoddy design" for .45 ACP? "...the 45 ACP being a low pressure round..." is what the .45 ACP Glocks were designed to shoot. "The Glock 21 is the only gun that I've ever seen a bulged 45 ACP case from." After 20,000 rounds, give or take a few thousand, I've never seen a "bulged" case emerge from my .45 Glocks--ACP or GAP!
I didn't refer to any of your 20,000 rounds, give or take. The Glock 21 is still the only .45 ACP pistol that I have seen a bulged .45 ACP case from. It was a Remington 230gr FMJ. The bulge was so bad, it wouldn't go into a re-sizing die.

Ammo from that same box was fired in a Colt 1911A1 and the case was still shaped the same as before it was fired.
AustinTx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 14:47   #364
hunter 111

Quote:
Originally Posted by ;3015202
My own experience with a G22 and my early .40 reloads - I was loading 180 FMJ over AA5 powder (I forget the charge weight now). My wife was shooting my G22, and out of the corner of my eye I saw a flash larger than normal, not coming from the muzzle, but from the middle of the pistol, right behind the breech area.

As I got to her and checked her for damage (none!), I saw that the mag & backstrap plug had been ejected, slide stop sheared off and the slide was locked up tight (had to bang it against an I beam to break it loose!).

Chamber area had cracks on both sides with the case head blown out at the 6:00 (the dreaded unsupported area) and no primer in the case. Did not get the 'classic' barrel peel, though ;f

I believe what happened was bullet set-back creating a pressure spike. At first, I though kB (actually, more like OC ;f ), but gradually moved away from that explanation and have settled on set-back.

I have long since changed my reloading habits and no longer use 180gr bullets or that fast a powder in 40. I still carry that same G22 (obviously fixed since then), and have shot many hundreds, if not thousands of my reloads through it (with an aftermarket barrel) and my G35 with factory barrel. Not as many of my reloads thru a G27 & G23 with factory barrels with no ill effects.

I firmly believe, but have no real desire to test that belief, that even with a "fully supported chamber", the same thing would have happened, though maybe not the blow-out at 6.
things I have noticed through the years most K BOOMS are 40 cal

least amount of K BOOMS 9mm
hunter 111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 15:16   #365
SHOOTER629
CLM Number HBK
Let's Roll !

Better late then never

Quote:
Originally Posted by rottglocken View Post
What does that picture of a FiveseveN have to do with the 45 kB?
Just to show any gun can KB!
Niner's 629
Cert Glock,Sig,H&K,Colt Armorer
Instructor,Basic / Advance / tactical / Dominate shooting skills
SHOOTER629 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 21:18   #366
gary newport

Quote:
Originally Posted by AustinTx View Post
I didn't refer to any of your 20,000 rounds, give or take. The Glock 21 is still the only .45 ACP pistol that I have seen a bulged .45 ACP case from. It was a Remington 230gr FMJ. The bulge was so bad, it wouldn't go into a re-sizing die.

Ammo from that same box was fired in a Colt 1911A1 and the case was still shaped the same as before it was fired.
I don't know what to tell you, other than you may have gotten a defective piece of brass.

I have had .45 ACP brass not go into a .45 ACP case gauge, but the brass was mixed and some had most certainly been fired in 1911s I used to shoot 1911s.). Some of the brass was much used, so excessive expansion is certainly a possibility. Just about all of those cases failing the check chambered and fired just fine in a G21. Still, none were visibly bulged.

As an aside, I've never had a problem with .45 GAP brass fired in one of my Glocks--or the once-fired GAP brass a GT member helped me score. All fit easily after resizing.

G17, G17RTF2, G19, G21, G21SF (2), G26, G30, G30SF, G34 (2), G37 (2), G38, G39
gary newport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2012, 13:54   #367
hooyah1964

Boy this has been an interesting read even tho it's looong. Feb 2012 my G30SF only 1 mo old, "kaboomed" with split frame, blown mag (hit and killed my rt shoe sole" destroyed trigger etc. No damage to upper...slide, barrel, extractor or other. Using Lawman factory ammo blown case at 6 o'clock. Slight damage to my rt hand scratches on my face and arms..Yeah boy that was fun...All the forensic examination says bad load, Glock replaced gun with only $47.00 charge...Happy w/ Glock pissed at "Lawman/Speer" said it could not have been their problem as no other reported failures...Don't believe in lawsuits but a good ol fashion butt kicking might be needed foe those who don't make mistakes..Gun back ran 300 rds last Monday..alls good
hooyah1964 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2012, 14:03   #368
Arc Angel
Deus Vult!

Quote:
Originally Posted by hooyah1964 View Post
Boy this has been an interesting read even tho it's looong. Feb 2012 my G30SF only 1 mo old, "kaboomed" with split frame, blown mag (hit and killed my rt shoe sole" destroyed trigger etc. No damage to upper...slide, barrel, extractor or other. Using Lawman factory ammo blown case at 6 o'clock. Slight damage to my rt hand scratches on my face and arms..Yeah boy that was fun...All the forensic examination says bad load, Glock replaced gun with only $47.00 charge...Happy w/ Glock pissed at "Lawman/Speer" said it could not have been their problem as no other reported failures...Don't believe in lawsuits but a good ol fashion butt kicking might be needed foe those who don't make mistakes..Gun back ran 300 rds last Monday..alls good
Actually I'm very glad you weren't more seriously injured! I've been trying to remain silent; but, THIS I can't resist:

Quote:
All the forensic examination says bad load, Glock replaced gun with only $47.00 charge...Happy w/ Glock pissed at "Lawman/Speer" said it could not have been their problem as no other reported failures ....
Do you ever get the feeling that, 'You're back in high school. It's prom night; and you're, still, a virgin.'
Arc Angel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2012, 14:18   #369
hooyah1964

Yeah, but....
Old 03-30-2012, 14:23   #370
hooyah1964

Ever noticed how little kids will say when asked Who did that/" "I dunno" That dude is known worldwide Responsibility and integrity is doing the right thing even if noone is watching.
Old 04-01-2012, 23:18   #371
AustinTx

Quote:
Originally Posted by gary newport View Post
I don't know what to tell you, other than you may have gotten a defective piece of brass.

I have had .45 ACP brass not go into a .45 ACP case gauge, but the brass was mixed and some had most certainly been fired in 1911s I used to shoot 1911s.). Some of the brass was much used, so excessive expansion is certainly a possibility. Just about all of those cases failing the check chambered and fired just fine in a G21. Still, none were visibly bulged.

As an aside, I've never had a problem with .45 GAP brass fired in one of my Glocks--or the once-fired GAP brass a GT member helped me score. All fit easily after resizing.
What I got, defective, was a Glock 21 with a Glock barrel in it. I shoot reloaded 45 ACP, in a 1911 until the case mouth splits.

The fact that your 45 brass would not go, in the 45 case gauge and then ran perfectly, in your Glock pistol should prove that your Glock chamber is too large,.

Never mind about your case gauge, my 45 brass wouldn't go in a resizing die. What took so long to get here? I thought this was dead, last year.
Old 11-09-2012, 11:29   #372
ROGER4314

I waas observing a CHL class in Texas and noticed a lady who was single firing a Glock .40 cal. My curiosity got the best of me so I checked her gun out. She had been firing (10-12 rounds) 9mm in her .40 S&W Glock. I'll try to upload some pics of the brass. No harm was done to the gun or any shooter

Flash
Attached Thumbnails
Valuable Info - Click for larger version  

Loving the Harley idle....potato, potato, potato.

Last edited by ROGER4314; 11-09-2012 at 11:42..
ROGER4314 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 11:57   #373
Arc Angel
Deus Vult!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ROGER4314 View Post
....... I checked her gun out. She had been firing (10-12 rounds) 9mm in her .40 S&W Glock. .......
Gasp!

And she didn't have a clue? I've heard of ghetto convenience store bandits doing things like this; but, personally, I've never witnessed anything even close to such incredibly naive behavior.

(Although I do have a friend who consistently loads semi-auto pistol magazines backwards before handing them to me. THAT can really slow the gun down!)

Last edited by Arc Angel; 11-12-2012 at 06:38..
Arc Angel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 23:11   #374
AustinTx

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arc Angel View Post
Gasp!

And she didn't have a clue? I've heard of ghetto convenience store bandits doing things like this; but, personally, I've never witnessed anything even close to such incredibly naive behavior.

(Although I do have a friend who consistently loads semi-auto pistol magazines backwards before handing them to me. THAT can really slow the gun down!)
The economy has really gotten bad. People are having to cut expenses everywhere. 9mm, in a 40 S&W gun is a pretty bad money saver. It's not dangerous, just not much velocity and accuracy.
Old 12-10-2013, 11:02   #375
benatwhodotnet

I'm 56 and have been a shooter most of my life and a reloader for over 20 years. I also work in a technical profession full of acronyms. KB is Kilobyte, Keyboard, Knowledge Base, Kick Back, and a lot of other things. When I was in school I was taught not to use any abbreviation or acronym until AFTER you have defined the term. This is not the place to exhibit your secret handshakes. A forum is for information sharing. Unless you say what you're talking about it's just so much jibberish!
benatwhodotnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2013, 11:07   #376
benatwhodotnet

Seriously?!? KB is KABOOM? I found it in post #367 of this thread...
benatwhodotnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2013, 11:56   #377
nraman

Quote:
Originally Posted by benatwhodotnet View Post
Unless you say what you're talking about it's just so much jibberish!
Does this help?

Old 08-19-2014, 18:51   #378
Colt6920

I had one today in a 23. It was the 4th round and I was shooting Federal Hydra-shocks ammo. Can't get it field stripped. It's a Gen 3 and hasn't been shot very much. Blew out the mag and I got some residue on the inside of my trigger finger and on the bottom edge of my support hand. I'm not sure yet what the extent of the damage is.

UPDATE: got the case out and the pistol appears undamaged! Seems to be just an over blown case. Whew...

Last edited by Colt6920; 08-20-2014 at 20:37.. Reason: Update
Colt6920 is offline   Reply With Quote