GlockTalk.com
Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 06-24-2011, 23:45   #21
furioso2112

Not only the individual child's level of understanding, but prevailing abilities by age. Kids cannot reason before a certain age; while rules can be rules, I'd rather my child be able to make more connections before being turned on to guns. Also, I have great hope that my enthusiasm for the sport does not drive my children away from it - many kids shy from the things their parents involved in; others emulate them.

I plan to always keep an open dialogue about safety and firearms (my kids are both too young now for any realization of any of this), once my kids are involved with any kind of firearms.
Old 06-29-2011, 22:14   #22
flatblack5_0

i got my first .22 Marlin at 10, shot my dads 9mm same year, and got comfortable with my moms .380 by 12. at 16 i was shooting my dads 9mm better than him.
not 9x19, 9mm makarov.

but i too wonder about this as i have a little girl that is just about 2.
-FL #158

Last edited by flatblack5_0; 06-29-2011 at 22:15..
flatblack5_0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2011, 15:54   #23
Bogey
CLM Number 242
The Mouth®

Send a message via Yahoo to Bogey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glockin21 View Post
Now i dont want kids.Too expensive,but i will say that this video im about to show you makes me say somewhere around day 1. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=irykjLjuKo8

That brought a mixture of tears to my eyes, and a big grin on my face.

OP....Never too early. The earlier you start training them (from birth on) on all of life's issues, the better off they will be as an adult.
Bogey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2011, 05:27   #24
DOrth

+1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uzi4U View Post
It depends on the maturity level of the child. I started my kids on basic gun safety when they were around 5 yrs old.
A call to my son's Pediatrician for a recommendation for hearing protection (he recommended putting a small cotton ball in each ear and coating them with Vaseline - worked great!) I let my 4 y/o son pull the trigger of my Ruger MkII .22 while I held it pointed down range. I did that to let him see that shooting could be fun.

Before leaving I blasted a gallon jug full of red colored water from 15' with my 12 gauge to graphically show him what I'd already told him - Guns are not toys, they must be respected, they can be fun to shoot but can kill so never point one at anything you aren't willing to destroy.

I got him a Daisy Red Rider for his 5th b'day (they don't make them like they used to), a .22/.410 combo for his 7th and a 20 gauge for his 10th. He loves to shoot and has always been safe. We regularly shoot Airsoft guns in our yard using paper plates and empty 20 oz. drink bottles for targets.

I highly recommend a book Mas Ayoob wrote on this topic, "Gun Proof Your Kids". I totally agree with him that it is impossible to "child proof" your guns. Proper training and education is the key.
DOrth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2011, 10:33   #25
SAG

Quote:
Originally Posted by DOrth View Post
...I totally agree with him that it is impossible to "child proof" your guns. Proper training and education is the key.
+1 x 1000

Nothing is childPROOF.
The ONLY real safety in the one between your ears.
Training and respect for firearms is the only way to keep our children safe.

We started our children shooting at 4-6 depending on their maturity level.

A year without a safety violation of the 4 rules meant my children could ask for their own rifle for Christmas. It was a right of passage for my kids, and they took great pride in the accomplishment of attaining their first rifle. It was still locked in the safe with the others when not in use, but it was theirs and when they left to begin their adult lives that rifle went with them.

They all still have that first rifle, always well cleaned and maintained and safely stored. It's almost like a trophy from Dad, a sign of Dad's respect and admiration. They're still meticulous about firearms handling, and though we do quite a lot of shooting, have never had a ND in the family, although we've seen others who've had NDs and have used those to discuss what was done wrong.

Proper education and training, with children, can mean a lifetime of safe and enjoyable shooting sport. Parenting is an awesome responsibility, it's up to us to ensure the safety of our families and the continuation of the sport and the spirit of gun ownership.

Last edited by SAG; 08-04-2011 at 10:35.. Reason: typos
SAG is offline   Reply With Quote