GlockTalk.com
Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 08-12-2011, 15:56   #1
DaveG

Riot Preparadness.... What would you do?

So I live less than a few miles from one of the top ten most dangerous and "urban" areas in the country, but right on the edge between the city and country. My neighborhood borders a cotton field... If London-style riots occur... my plan is to send the wife and kids the opposite way to stay with her parents, who live about an hour away in "real" country and are well armed and stocked with supplies. My neighbor and I plan on staying with our longarms and defending our homes for as long as possible. If we get completely outnumbered, we will climb into his 4x4 and head out across the cotton field where he will drop me off with the rest of the family and continue on his way to his own safe house...

Do you live in a vulnerable area? Do you have a plan? Do you have weapons? What will you do?
DaveG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2011, 16:03   #2
Triple7

I live pretty far away from anywhere where this might happen but....
Yeah I would be on my roof with a long gun, shotgun, ect. I think I could deter 95% of the rioters and the other dead ones in my yard might scare off the rest.
The would most likely be a painted line on my property and a sign. "cross the line and I'm shooting you"

Gen 2 Glock 17
Gen 4 Glock 17
Triple7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2011, 16:12   #3
poodleshooter1

Fire extinguishers.... For when they try to burn you out. It's not always about guns alone.
poodleshooter1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2011, 17:04   #4
FerFAL

You have a gun? No rioter in this planet walks towards bullets flying their way.
You might want to get a shootgun and some less than lethal ammo. Police use it with good results to get rid of stupid crowds.
About sending your wife away. Rioters rarely break into homes, they prefer stores with lots of crap to loot. Now if some get ballsy, I assure you a couple shots sends them away (usually towards places to loot where they dont risk getting shot). If you send your wife away she might get caught in the middle of a riot, or attacked while traveling.
Traveling is MUCH more dangerous than staying home, even if the home is located right in the middle of the rioting city.
FerFAL

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
FerFAL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2011, 17:08   #5
Aceman

Yeah - I'm having trouble picturing the cotton field riot....

I was thinking more "I'm in town and flash mob occurs and goes ugly"

I head for a wall to be against immediately and exit any area of interest: store fronts, ostentatious wealth/excess, public services, and mini markets....
Aceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2011, 17:23   #6
RichJ

Better hope that field isn't too wet. I've been stuck in a wet cotton field plenty of times even with 4x4.

I'd listen to FerFAL on this one. I think he may have done this a time or two.

Last edited by RichJ; 08-12-2011 at 17:23..
RichJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2011, 19:08   #7
Bolster
Not Ready Yet!

I live in L.A. and while riots are a concern, I haven't much idea how to handle them other than avoid them. I've done a couple hours of research, finding the areas of L.A. that have the highest crime...these will be the most likely riot areas, too. So my best plan is to avoid the heck out of these areas during a riot. Unfortunately they lie between me and my work (3/4 hour freeway drive). We don't exactly get the option of toting a scattergun in the car. And neither do I have dark fantasies of shooting rioters. I would exhaust all other options first: avoidance, barricading, going grey-man, driving away, you name it.

Last edited by Bolster; 08-12-2011 at 19:09..
Bolster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2011, 19:14   #8
Dexters

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveG View Post
Do you live in a vulnerable area? Do you have a plan? Do you have weapons? What will you do?
The way you put it sounds as if you are defending your property alone and that the people around you are spread out. So I don't see any way all the properties can be defended against a roving mob - too much area and too few defenders.

If there were choke points where you and your friends could put up a defense you might have a chance. I would look into non lethal options first. Because after all is over and if deaths occur you will need to justify your actions.

But I seriously you would find a mob roaming to where you live. A mob such as that in London expends a lot of energy quickly and then dissipates. They are not organized enough to handle the logistics of transportation, food etc.

The people in London are looting first and burning stores second. So why do you think they would go out of the city to the country to go to your house anyway?

Last edited by Dexters; 08-12-2011 at 19:24..
Dexters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2011, 19:44   #9
fire65

I don't in an area where I worry about it. I do think you need 3 or more people for a real defense. BUT, I plan to use my pump 12 gauge with my G23 as my last resort. My wife has a .20 pump and her .380 auto.
I am friends with all my neighbors and we should be OK. I feel for the people in cities where this is happening.
Do not do out in the area, do not go out at night, go in groups. I feel for the people that are not allowed to have weapons.
fire65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2011, 19:48   #10
UneasyRider
C.D.B.

I would go with FerFal's advice on this one. An AR or AK would certainly keep a couple of guys safe with enough magazines and ammunition wouldn't it? There is nothing like force equalization from a large magazine in your rifle to protect your home.

"Both oligarch and tyrant mistrust the people, and therefore deprive them of arms." - Aristotle,
UneasyRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2011, 19:54   #11
Javelin
Silver Membership
Got Glock?

If you can't beat em'....

Disclaimer: This writer is not a lawyer. This product is meant for entertainment and fan or political fiction purposes only and writer accepts no liability. All material should be considered as infotainment only. Writer does not own any characters, topics or subject matter in this story. Any resemblance to real persons, living or dead is for entertainment only. If rash, irritation, redness, or swelling develops, discontinue reading immediately and consult your physician.
Javelin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2011, 21:07   #12
quake

I'm just kind of simple. My reflexive response was, "shoot them".

"Only problem with women my own age, is they're so damn old." - my dad at 89...
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
quake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2011, 21:30   #13
Misty02

Quote:
Originally Posted by FerFAL View Post
You have a gun? No rioter in this planet walks towards bullets flying their way.
You might want to get a shootgun and some less than lethal ammo. Police use it with good results to get rid of stupid crowds.
About sending your wife away. Rioters rarely break into homes, they prefer stores with lots of crap to loot. Now if some get ballsy, I assure you a couple shots sends them away (usually towards places to loot where they dont risk getting shot). If you send your wife away she might get caught in the middle of a riot, or attacked while traveling.
Traveling is MUCH more dangerous than staying home, even if the home is located right in the middle of the rioting city.
FerFAL
I agree with you. Normal traffic (as well as side streets) would likely be bumper to bumper. The odds of being stranded and out of gas are almost greater than safely making it to your destination. Without even taking the additional dangers you mention into consideration.<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p></o:p>
<o:p> </o:p>
We live in hurricane central, unless our home is destroyed the plan is always to stay put and do the best we can while remaining together. Protecting our belonging is second to protecting one another, it is more effective with the group as a whole and in territory we know well.<o:p></o:p>

"In making tactical dispositions, the highest pitch you can attain is to conceal them." - Sun Tzu

Outpost Member #69
Misty02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2011, 21:36   #14
Bolster
Not Ready Yet!

Quote:
Originally Posted by quake View Post
I'm just kind of simple. My reflexive response was, "shoot them".
But are you prepared to deplete your bank accounts defending yourself in the inevitable trial, and to go to jail for it? Regardless of how justified? Shooting somebody in our society isn't the end of anything, it's just the beginning of a long, unpleasant process. Even the dictates of narrow self-interest and survival mean shooting is the last resort, not the first.

Last edited by Bolster; 08-12-2011 at 21:38..
Bolster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2011, 22:42   #15
LongGun1
StraightShooter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bolster View Post
But are you prepared to deplete your bank accounts defending yourself in the inevitable trial, and to go to jail for it? Regardless of how justified? Shooting somebody in our society isn't the end of anything, it's just the beginning of a long, unpleasant process. Even the dictates of narrow self-interest and survival mean shooting is the last resort, not the first.

The tolerance for thugs wantonly destroying property..

.. & violently threatening life/limb/liberty of fine upstanding citizens in our AO..

.. is a polar opposite of those more disadvantaged areas with a grossly dysfunctional (liberal) frame of mind!

An "Old Timer" related an incident during the late 60's Watts Riots where a "large group of coloreds" massed & started towards the center of town in a farming community I used to service. They were met by a sizable group of armed citizens & were told in no uncertain terms "we are not having any of that California nonsense here"!
The "riot" was over before it started!

During the 92 Riots...I carried a special "riot package" just in case it spread here....so did others I know!

Personally...the way society is heading..

..I think it will be "Shoot, Shovel & Shut-up" before it is all over!

Just hope your backhoe is in good order..

..& you are well stocked with lime!

I know of one story that happened following Katrina..

..that involved rural folk, gang-bangers, swamps & gators...

..and a problem solved!

Quote:
Edmund Burke said all that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing. Do not allow evil to triumph. Do not do sit by and do nothing.

YMMV

"Accuracy first, Speed second.....Speed first, Accuracy never"

Last edited by LongGun1; 08-12-2011 at 22:58..
LongGun1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2011, 00:54   #16
Warp
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

I say if it's truly dangerous enough at your location to want to send wife/kids away then you had better be with them for the trip. Even if you believe they are very, very safe at the destination there is a lot between here and there.

And if it is truly dangerous enough at your location to want them somewhere else, should YOU really be there?

For most people I think staying put, as FerFal first stated, is probably best.

Fortunately for us there aren't any businesses very close to our home and we are towards the end of a dead end with some woods behind us.

I HIGHLY recommend Google Chrome and Adblock to all world wide web users. (I would have left GT a long time ago without these extensions!)

Last edited by Warp; 08-13-2011 at 00:56..
Warp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2011, 01:00   #17
WorrGlock

Send a message via Yahoo to WorrGlock
Honestly...

Move

10mm because you care enough to send the very best.
WorrGlock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2011, 01:05   #18
lawman800
Juris Glocktor

Starting put is preferred unless you know you will be overrun or put in more danger if you stay. Make your house low key bu not having fancy cars outside, shut windows up to hide the view into it, keep quiet, etc.
lawman800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2011, 01:47   #19
blackbmw

my vote for this post is 2 different items.....One, Mr. remington 870, glock 31, and sporterized to the max enfield .303(beyond fast shooter, no recoil, 10rd mag, very accurate) and the winny 94. The second part is.....lexus gs400 with 3:92 rear, stock supra posi rear pumpin, apexi cat-back, srt cold air and piggy back, 3000 stall, and nitto tires on gs300 rims. Goes 13.3 in the quarter with a crappy transmission, which retards timing between gears. Thats a fast way to exit a riot area with 4-doors and a baby seat in the back!!!
blackbmw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2011, 06:03   #20
TangoFoxtrot
OIF 04-05

[QUOTE=DaveG;17767205]So I live less than a few miles from one of the top ten most dangerous and "urban" areas in the country, but right on the edge between the city and country. My neighborhood borders a cotton field... If London-style riots occur... my plan is to send the wife and kids the opposite way to stay with her parents, who live about an hour away in "real" country and are well armed and stocked with supplies. My neighbor and I plan on staying with our longarms and defending our homes for as long as possible. If we get completely outnumbered, we will climb into his 4x4 and head out across the cotton field where he will drop me off with the rest of the family and continue on his way to his own safe house...

Do you live in a vulnerable area? Do you have a plan? Do you have weapons?

What will you do?

I live outside a small city myself Dave. My plan is similar to ours. My home is well stocked and I'll lock and load to defend my home. I do have a bug out plan for the mountains a few miles away, but if it came down to a bug out due to a riot there would be a large pile of bodies piled between myself and my crazy well armed neighbors.
TangoFoxtrot is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
london, riots