SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 07-01-2011, 06:41   #21
AA#5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Smoke Trail View Post
On second thought you have a good point there. Apparently you think that anyone who does not meet your expectations or standards of humanity should be executed. Very efficient and effective.

This line of logic and superior thinking has been employed by very famous and effective leaders throughout history. Pol Pot, Mao Tse Tung, Adolf Hitler, and Joeseph Stalin just to name a few. .

Superior thinking such as that must not allow minor details like due process, natural born rights, and Constitutional freedoms to get in the way. These concepts and value are wasted on lowly minions like Oscar Grant. Right?

I am sure Mehserle will go on to perfect the cold fusion process and move on to solving global warming.
Well said.
AA#5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2011, 06:49   #22
AA#5

Quote:
Originally Posted by chivvalry View Post
Did you watch the video and see the officer's expression and reaction when his "taser" went "bang"? Murder requires malice aforethought of which there was obviously none here. This was manslaughter and a tragic mistake and completely different than your example of a criminal executing an officer.
The officer's expression & reaction were not visible on the video. If the suspect was in fact handcuffed, there was NO justification to tase him. That, alone makes his sentence a travesty.
AA#5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2011, 07:36   #23
chivvalry

Quote:
Originally Posted by AA#5 View Post
The officer's expression & reaction were not visible on the video. If the suspect was in fact handcuffed, there was NO justification to tase him. That, alone makes his sentence a travesty.
You're right. The little snippet they showed within that posted video isn't sufficient to see the reaction. I was recalling the more complete video from when this first occurred. His reaction was one of obvious shock. It also seems a little out there to suggest that he deliberately executed the man in front of dozens of witnesses though, doesn't it?

Are you familiar with the current rules for use of a taser? I'm not saying that the use of a taser was or was not appropriate in that circumstance... I'm curious to know why you think it wasn't justified and why that alone makes his sentence a travesty.
Old 07-02-2011, 05:34   #24
Natty

So the people coming to the officers defense here are saying that he could not tell the difference between his own handgun and his own taser.

Stupid is not illegal. Stupid is not criminal. But you cant fix stupid. And stupid has no place in Law Enforcement.
Natty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2011, 10:45   #25
Sam Spade
Lifetime Membership

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natty View Post
So the people coming to the officers defense here are saying that he could not tell the difference between his own handgun and his own taser.

Stupid is not illegal. Stupid is not criminal. But you cant fix stupid. And stupid has no place in Law Enforcement.
Yes. The two-year rookie with a taser for two days, policing a subway where his exposure to calls was minimal, vaporlocked. He went with muscle memory and repeated the draw he was most familiar with, thinking he was doing the right thing to employ another tool, carried in an unfamiliar place on his belt.

His act was criminal, it was a negligent action that caused the death of another. That's the textbook definition of manslaughter. His agency also carries a heavy burden for equipping him and training him as they did. Whether he's actually stupid or simply the forseeable result of the training provided, I don't know.

BTW, this has happened at least two other times---confusing the taser draw with the gundraw--- but neither of those guys died.
"To spit on your hands and lower the pike; to stand fast over the body of Leonidas the King; to be rear guard at Kunu-Ri; to stand and be still to the Birkenhead Drill; these are not rational acts. They are often merely necessary." Pournelle
Sam Spade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2011, 16:31   #26
CAcop

If you are going to rant get your facts straight or you look ignorant. Show me where it says Grant was handcuffed.

I guess the jury was smart enough to listen to the people on the stand.
I wonder if your assessment of "The Wizard of Oz" would sound something like "A teenaged orphan runs away with three psychotic AD/HD patients and a little dog. She kills the first two women she meets." --Sinecure 07/03/2006
Freakin' awsome!! Kickin it old school. Hot sheet on the dash. The report was probably only two sentences. Long live Rencko and Bobbie Hill!--WhiskeyT
CAcop is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2011, 17:41   #27
Black Smoke Trail

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAcop View Post
If you are going to rant get your facts straight or you look ignorant. Show me where it says Grant was handcuffed.

I guess the jury was smart enough to listen to the people on the stand.

If you are going to attempt to drag up a thread that was started over 2 months ago and hasn't been replied to in over a month you should pay more attention or you look ignorant.
Old 08-24-2011, 17:47   #28
CAcop

It was still on the first page and yhou are still wrong.
I wonder if your assessment of "The Wizard of Oz" would sound something like "A teenaged orphan runs away with three psychotic AD/HD patients and a little dog. She kills the first two women she meets." --Sinecure 07/03/2006
Freakin' awsome!! Kickin it old school. Hot sheet on the dash. The report was probably only two sentences. Long live Rencko and Bobbie Hill!--WhiskeyT
CAcop is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2011, 14:01   #29
jwagess

Law . the killing of another human being under conditions specifically covered in law. In the U.S., special statutory definitions include murder committed with malice aforethought, characterized by deliberation or premeditation or occurring during the commission of another serious crime, as robbery or arson (first-degree murder), and murder by intent but without deliberation or premeditation (second-degree murder).