Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 10-02-2011, 14:28   #1
Zero.Zero

1988 glock 17 worth?

After I took the armorer class my father in law gave me a 17 he bought years ago. So when I took the advanced armorer school I took it to class. The instructors eyes grew wide. He told me to call glock and they told me it was made in February of 1988 and there were only 35,000 imported that year. Now my father on law is a little anal. He had everthing that came in the Tupperware box including the receipt for the gun which is mint and has adjustable sights. Im not a big 9mm fan even though I have a 26. I like my .40's.

I have a 27 but am really looking for a 23. Any idea on how much it might be worth. The instructor told me I could get 2 23's but I'm not too sure about that. I have pics of it but I'm still trying to figure out how to post them.

Thanks

Ok here ae some pics
Attached Thumbnails
Glock Collector's Club - Click for larger version   Glock Collector's Club - Click for larger version   Glock Collector's Club - Click for larger version  

Last edited by Zero.Zero; 10-05-2011 at 06:20..
Zero.Zero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2011, 14:41   #2
Glockdude1
CLM Number 185
Federal Member

Keep it. I would.

Old 10-02-2011, 14:49   #3
Zero.Zero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glockdude1 View Post
Keep it. I would.

I would but I need a 23 for work. I want to get rid of my stainless beretta 96 anchor. Getting to old to carry that much weight.

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine
Old 10-02-2011, 14:54   #4
stk10767

In the end, its just a gun. Unless you have an extensive collection of handguns and this particular one is sentimental, I say sell it for what you need now. You will be happy and the collector you sold it to will be happy. Win-win.

Old 10-02-2011, 15:44   #5
Zero.Zero

Quote:
Originally Posted by stk10767 View Post
In the end, its just a gun. Unless you have an extensive collection of handguns and this particular one is sentimental, I say sell it for what you need now. You will be happy and the collector you sold it to will be happy. Win-win.

That's my thought too. I have 30 handguns. Everything from a 1911 colt .38 super to a kahr p380. only 3 of them I can use at work. I'm not buying a bigger safe. I'm still saving up for a Mac-10 smg.

I was invited to Glocks instructors course and I can't wait to go just to play with a G18!!!

Old 10-02-2011, 16:08   #6
jwhite75
Gubmint Worker

That 17 is a nice gun. no clue what its worth.
Old 10-03-2011, 14:47   #7
patcrad
Great White Box

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zero.Zero View Post
I would but I need a 23 for work. I want to get rid of my stainless beretta 96 anchor. Getting to old to carry that much weight.

Old gen 1 Glock collector here. I have a 23 for trade, or I can pay you outright. Pictures would give a better range of what it may be worth.

Last edited by patcrad; 10-03-2011 at 14:47.. Reason: spelling
patcrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2011, 06:21   #8
Zero.Zero

Quote:
Originally Posted by patcrad View Post
Old gen 1 Glock collector here. I have a 23 for trade, or I can pay you outright. Pictures would give a better range of what it may be worth.

I posted some pics on the original post
Old 10-06-2011, 11:01   #9
prism
more ammo

good pics.

I noticed the label has check boxes for more recent models.
Explosives were used because officials believed the whale was too large to shoot. /// "that's celebratory gunfire." /// It began, as it so often does, with a drum circle. /// "The Land that Caturday Forgot"
prism is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2011, 11:26   #10
Zero.Zero

Quote:
Originally Posted by prism View Post
good pics.

Maybe he sent it to the factory and put the newer sticker on it. I'll have to check if there is another sticker under it. I didn't think they had those models in 1988. I just updated everything last month.
Old 10-06-2011, 11:42   #11
whiskey rebel1

Quote:
I have a G17 I bought in 1988 or 89. With XS med. night sights and had it stippled. Did I lose any value with the upgrades? Thanks!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

whiskey rebel1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2011, 09:15   #12
Zero.Zero

Quote:
Originally Posted by prism View Post
good pics.

I went home and took it out of the safe an I could see another lable under the green one. I could not get it off but when I looked at the stack of paperwork he had for the gun I found the original paperwork, manuals, product registration and all the stuuf that came with it. There was also a 1991 owners manual where he wrote down that it was sent back to glock for an update. That explains the updated label on the box. The receipt says he paid $499.99 back in 1988. Im going to take better pictures tonight.
Old 10-07-2011, 15:11   #13
patcrad
Great White Box

Quote:
I went home and took it out of the safe an I could see another lable under the green one. I could not get it off but when I looked at the stack of paperwork he had for the gun I found the original paperwork, manuals, product registration and all the stuuf that came with it. There was also a 1991 owners manual where he wrote down that it was sent back to glock for an update. That explains the updated label on the box. The receipt says he paid $499.99 back in 1988. Im going to take better pictures tonight.
Look at the internal parts: trigger bar, plunger, etc., if they are a gold or silver color then they were most likely replaced by Glock when it was sent back. The original parts would have been black. They would have affixed the new label at that time.

Last edited by patcrad; 12-10-2011 at 11:14..
Old 10-08-2011, 05:46   #14
Leathernecker
More Glocks!

I've got a very early G23 that I'd trade even for that. But I'm not trying to snake the sale from patcrad. An early G17 like that in that condition might actually be worth pushing my own early G17 out since I'm always looking for the earliest one of every mode. An older one trumps the current one, ya know?

EDIT...after checking my photobucket account and getting a reminder of what serial number prefix I have, it turns out that mine is actually older than that one. But I do not have the older style box with the bullet supports. Mine does however have the magazine support which always annoyed me because there is clearly room in the box for a second spare magazine but the supports molded into the floor of the box made that impossible. And even back in 88 when I bought my first Glock, I knew better than to cut up any part of that polymer box and thereby potentially ruin its value.
G17 Gen 1, G17 Gen 2, G17 Gen 3, G17 Gen 4 FDE, G19 Gen 2, G20 Gen 2, G21 Gen 2, G22 Gen 2, G22 Gen 3, G23 Gen 2 (x2), G24 Gen 2, G26 Gen 2.5 (no, really!), G27 Gen 3, G31 Gen 3, G37 Gen 3 and the One Ring to Rule Them All...the FN FiveseveN.

Last edited by Leathernecker; 10-08-2011 at 05:57..
Leathernecker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2011, 06:33   #15
Goodspeed(TPF)

$250.00 - $300.00 would seem fair depending on overall condition. -Goodspeed
Goodspeed(TPF) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2011, 11:29   #16
em2b96p

Quote:
Look at the internal parts: trigger bar, plunger, etc., if they are a gold or silver color then they were most likely replaced by Glock when it was sent back. The original parts would have been black. They would have affixed the new label at that time.
patcrad: Is it possible to contact an Glock/Armorer and have them ship the parts to me? I rather not deal with the expense and time to ship out the pistol.
em2b96p is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2011, 13:18   #17
fnfalman
Chicks Dig It

Quote:
There was also a 1991 owners manual where he wrote down that it was sent back to glock for an update. That explains the updated label on the box. The receipt says he paid $499.99 back in 1988. Im going to take better pictures tonight.
I bought mine in either March or April of 1988 for $450 plus tax. I sent mine back for the upgrade/improvement to the trigger mechanism sometimes in the early 1990s as well, either 1992 or 1993.

Quote:
I didn't pay attention to a new label. I was pissed because I shipped the G17 back to Glock in my original container and it came back with the new non-cartridges-slotted box.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodspeed(TPF) View Post
$250.00 - $300.00 would seem fair depending on overall condition. -Goodspeed
Try again. I wouldn't sell my G17 Original Perfection for twice that price. Or even triple that price. Can't find another one so easily to replace it. Y'all can keep your fingergrooved, upgraded, stippled Glocks. I'll stick to the real deal.
Old 11-21-2011, 15:50   #18
patcrad
Great White Box

Quote:
Originally Posted by em2b96p View Post
patcrad: Is it possible to contact an Glock/Armorer and have them ship the parts to me? I rather not deal with the expense and time to ship out the pistol.
I have heard someone say that Glock did send them the parts before, but I don't think this is a normal practice by Glock. I believe they want some control and accountability when making such changes.
Old 11-21-2011, 17:49   #19
fnfalman
Chicks Dig It

Quote:
I have heard someone say that Glock did send them the parts before, but I don't think this is a normal practice by Glock. I believe they want some control and accountability when making such changes.
Glock used to do this at the GSSF matches, but as far as sending parts to any joe schmoe Glock armorer? I doubt it. I'm sure that Glock would want to keep track of which pistol was upgraded and refurbished.
Old 11-25-2011, 18:27   #20
pureform1278

Gen1 are hard to get now and barely any stores or online has them so dont price it low... Us Gen1 owners need to show the appreciation of the Gen1 and price them at a minimum of $600... Why do OD glocks have a premium and The rare almost nowhere to find Gen1 shouldnt have a premium... START RAISING THE PRICE.... If colt shows appreciation to there nostalgia we should too... Point blank...
pureform1278 is offline   Reply With Quote