Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 12-08-2011, 18:58   #861
Numismatist
5-Stand!

The whole Connecticut home invasion, rape, and burning murder thing of the Doctor and his family really affected me. I have an 11 year old girl who looks remarkeably like that poor child in that incident.
Remington 1100 LT Sporting 20 shotgun
Numismatist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2011, 07:55   #862
45 Cal

My story is not nearly as moving, but it makes sense non the less. I have read the Constitution and understand the events that transpired before this country was formed, but never really believed that the times we live in are dangerously similar to the way things were then.

About 5 years ago, I was working for a solid conservative Congressman in Washington DC. During my time there, I was able to see first hand how terribly mixed up our country is and how quickly our rights (particularly the 2nd Amendment) can be taken away from us. We are never more than 4 years away from being prohibited to live the way we do today. I once saw a signature line from a poster on this forum that showed a picture of a man holding a sign at a DC rally, it stated "We've come unarmed.......this time". Firearms are the ultimate check and balance...and they are worthless unless they are readily available.

Thats why I carry......because our freedoms are eroding, the world is becoming increasingly unstable and I'm not going to rely on someone else to protect my family.
45 Cal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2011, 20:02   #863
931shooter

Quote:
Originally Posted by 45 Cal View Post

Thats why I carry......because our freedoms are eroding, the world is becoming increasingly unstable and I'm not going to rely on someone else to protect my family.

One of the most well put and true statements i have read on here.
I had thought about getting my ccw for a while and never did it. Well one day i was in a convenience store and while waiting in line a guy got mad because someone behind skipped in front of and he threatened to go to his truck and get his gun. That night i called and set up my ccw class.
931shooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2011, 12:46   #864
RRrider

I purchased my first handgun for home defense and sport shooting. Took my CPL class in July of 2011. Never went down and applied for the permit.

An angry customer calls me in September of 2011, mad because I removed his vehicle off of his auto insurance policy per HIS REQUEST, later that day his daughter was in an accident with the vehicle, and he is being held responsible for 100% of the damages. He threatened to come up and bust out my business windows. I ran an internet search on him, found out he has had and STILL has a PPO for stalking active against him. Fast forward to that night, I am sitting out on my front porch when guess who drives by my house, TWICE...

the next day I went downtown and filed for my license, been carrying everyday since.
RRrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2012, 21:49   #865
Rugar Fan

Alday Family Massacre

This horrible family massacre occurred on May 14, 1973 in Donalsonville, Georgia. I remember hearing about it in the news while in high school, and it happened over 100 miles from my hometown. I never really paid much attention to the incident at that time, but for whatever reason the sad story stuck in my memory.

Two unrelated personal events not associated with the Alday massacre had a lasting impact on me. I've had a part-time job in high school working in a small mom & pop grocery store. After the owner was nearly killed by two punks using an axe, I began thinking about personal safety. The two young men thought they had killed the owner and threw him in the meat locker. The good news is that he lived through the ordeal as he was only knocked unconscious. Worked as a bank teller during summer break back in 1976, and it got robbed after I had left to go back to college. The two robbers threatened to kill all of the bank personnel during the holdup. Fortunately no one was hurt. That left a negative impression on me about how easy someone else can take your life.

Whenever I'm in a hurry leaving my house and don't feel like carrying, I simply recall the Alday Family Massacre. It then becomes an easy decision to go back and pick up some type of protection.

If you are not familar with the story, one can google the Alday Family Massacre for the details. Several books have been written about the unfortunate incident. It is really sad that most Georgia residents are not even aware that the killings took place. May 14, 1973 is certainly one of the dark stains in Georgia history, and it should not be forgotten. Those that do remember the Alday deaths have lost faith in the Georgia judicial system to a degree. I certainly have and that's why I carry.
Rugar Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2012, 11:47   #866
Doc Mark

Greetings,

The horrible massacre at McDonald's, in San Diego. I've never gotten over my horror of that unthinkable tragedy. I made the commitment to learn what was needed, learn the laws, practice until I felt comfortable and capable, and then did the deed. I've never needed to respond, and I hope I NEVER do! But, just being prepared to defend myself, my family, and other innocents, makes all that effort more than worthwhile, both then, and now. For what it's worth..... Take care, and God Bless!

Every Good Wish,
Doc
Old 01-26-2012, 06:33   #867
99redgtp

I have heard rumors that the gun control people want to eliminate pistols and CCW in NY for years. So I figured get it now, before its to late. I live in a pretty crime free area, way out in the country. I used to carry my ar15 when out in the woods cutting wood or whatever, but its usually in the truck or on the 4wheeler and that doesnt do much good there, so having my glock 20 on my side in case of a wild animal attack is the better option. You never know, the one time you might need that glock and dont have it you might not live to tell a bout it. So since its my right living in the USA I carry my glock 27. I hope I never ever have to pull it and use it on a person, but if I do, I will do it without hesitation, because I can carry it, I do carry it and I train alot with it. I shoot almost every day. Im not a doomsdayer or anything, but you just never know when it might come in handy.
99redgtp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2012, 07:19   #868
Toetag
Wannabe

A wife and daughter are all the reasons I need.

Carry Issues
Toetag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2012, 07:38   #869
Six4Sure

I never had a defining moment, more of a natural progression. Most of my family are LEOs, lawyers or something in between, and on top of that my grandfather is a hunter. Guns, and their safe use, has been instilled in me since I was a small child.

When if came to picking my major in college, I choose criminal justice. The combination of my fathers police work, two shootings, and the information I acquired in school, led me to realize you can have the best police force in the world, but that doesn't matter much if you are sitting at a stop light and are getting car jacked. The response time will never be quick enough to help you. I choose not to be at the mercy of someone elses protection.

This has been further reenforced by recently becoming an uncle. I dont even have kids of my own, but I know I would do anything to protect my nephew.
Six4Sure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 12:13   #870
larson1122

Last edited by larson1122; 12-08-2013 at 00:04..
larson1122 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2012, 16:12   #871
Roverboy

When Wisconsin FINALLY passed the CCL bill I immediately applied for mine.
Roverboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 21:14   #872
Putzy90

I absolutely obliterated my right knee back in late 2010. 2 surgeries and almost a year of therapy and im still at it trying to get it back to a level where it should be. one swift strike to that knee and i will be incapacitated for some time. so with one more sufficent blow to my knee im looking at a requirment for a complete knee replacment. so for me peice of mind i carry. i will most likley never need to resort to my glock but if i have to i like knowing its there. my knee injury seriously affects my ability to get out of a sticky situation. atleast an unarmed situation.
Putzy90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 09:29   #873
ZO6Vettever

Way back in 1974 I got my first concealed carry permit. My job required I have a weapon. I wasn't carrying all the time until 2008 when I was in a very uncomfortable position with 8 young "gangsta" types. I managed to keep it from becoming violent and at that point I realized I was a fat old man who couldn't run or fight his way outta a paper bag. Next day to the Sherrifs Dept, filed a report of the incident and picked up the carry permit pack. Joined the modern world, retired the 6 shooter and got me a high cap 9mm. About a year later my wife decided she wouldn't be an easy target and got her permit too. My EDC is a G30 and wife's EDC is a G26.

Remember, we're all on the same side!

Army Vet Dec 1965 - Dec 1971
ZO6Vettever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 15:38   #874
rahrah12

I realized that it wasn't just the criminals and gang members that carried...
rahrah12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 13:58   #875
mdsn969

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roverboy View Post
When Wisconsin FINALLY passed the CCL bill I immediately applied for mine.
Me also, I applied 1st day...
mdsn969 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 17:43   #876
Veedubklown

I do PC repair in home. I went to this 1 guy's house, waaay out in the boonies. Meth head, standing over me the whole time I was working. Felt like he was sizing me up and kept eyeing my equipment (laptop, tools, etc.). I carry a knife, but I didn't feel adequate with just my 3" blade. Usually my worst concern is getting stiffed. This guy felt like I was going to get burried in the back yard. I left quickly.
Old 02-24-2012, 17:56   #877
mdsn969

Quote:
Originally Posted by ragsflh View Post
beeen robbed twice and was shot at riding down highway on my hog.
Riding is one of the reasons that I got my license. We tour quite a bit and with WI, AZ, & UT I am in pretty good shape. My biggest problem is IL, you nearly have to cross it to get anywhere :(
mdsn969 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 09:46   #878
VegasGlock

For me the deciding factor was two things, one being I was previously robbed at gun point so that opened my eyes. Two, I spend a lot of time in the worst neighborhoods of Vegas (foreclosed property). The looks I get from the neighbors are like I was the one who took their friends home away from them, lets just say the neighbors don't like me.
VegasGlock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2012, 03:28   #879
saxconnection
Run 'n' Gunner

Wow. 40 pages. That was a lot of GOOD reading.

My progression toward carrying started with an ND. I was twelve, had no safety classes, no one to teach me the first thing about guns. My mother's boyfriend had decided to take up residence at our house, and hid two guns in a cardboard box, fully loaded. A 9MM semi-auto (S&W?), and a SS Taurus .38 snub with pearl handles. Needless to say, they were quickly discovered ("Who leaves a blender on a bookshelf?", I thought). I played with those guns for about 2 weeks straight. I was a "gangsta", an "undercover detective", and just a straight up "bad ass". Ridiculous I know, but hey, young uneducated (firearm wise) kids will be, well, young uneducated kids. I was showing one of my best friends at the time the weapons, doing some VERY unsafe stuff and when showing off, trying to decock the hammer on the Taurus, the hammer slipped off of my thumb from my hands being wet from rain. Not two minutes before I tried to decock the gun, I had it pointed at my friend. Thankfully, I had the common sense to point it at the ground when I went to decock it. The bullet stopped 1/4" from my second toe on my bare right foot, and got stuck between the carpet and the cement floor of the basement. It remains there to this day.

After that, I became quietly obsessed with guns, but generally put them into a category of one of those things that will have to wait. They were quickly removed from the house instead of explained and demystified.

Fast forward ten years, and I have this urge to go to the range. I took my mom and we rented a S&W 642 hammerless, airweight revolver. My first time out, I made a 3-leaf clover at 10 yards with that little gun. I thought; "this is for me". I started doing some research, and bought my Dad's unfired Kimber Ultra CDP II for $700.

I was also drag racing at the time, and started hearing about people who had been beat waiting at the local gas station for the people who had won to get gas, so they could have their revenge.

My defining moment came shortly after turning my long-time girlfriend into a fiancee, and thinking about starting a family, I just decided that it was better to have it and not need it than to need it and not have it. This world is a much more dangerous place than it used to be. I got Mom to go and we both took the class and got our CPLs. I started shooting in competition and helping others learn to safely handle a firearm along the way.

Then I got a job in one of the less nice places in Detroit (when I say less nice, I mean there are worse places, but you can still hear the "target shooting" at night). I have never looked back, and my children will not have the same firearm experience I had when I was young.

Adam

Last edited by saxconnection; 03-14-2012 at 03:29..
saxconnection is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2012, 03:45   #880
series1811
CLM Number
Enforcerator.

I didn't start carrying a defensive gun all the time until I got into law enforcement, but I heard a story from a fellow agent one day that I have never been able to forget.

When he was 18, he and a friend were driving down the road and saw two guys broke down on the side of the road and decided to stop and help them. They were then kidnapped at gunpoint and driven down a dirt road and made to kneel down in front of the headlights, while the two kidnappers argued about whether they should kill them or not.

He told me that he has never been as scared, and so sure he was about to die as that moment, and that when the two kidnappers finally decided to let them live, and just took their car, he made a decision that night. That he would never be on his knees in the dirt, letting somebody else decide whether he lived or died, again. He told me even if it is ten guys with shotguns, I will shoot it out with them and die before I kneel in the dirt again.

You never see him without a gun, and I never forget the way I felt when I first heard him tell that story.

Last edited by series1811; 03-14-2012 at 03:48..
series1811 is offline   Reply With Quote