Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 01-15-2012, 23:09   #1
gatorglockman

Sig 556 Classic: Feedback needed

I am an AR guy for 5.56 at heart because I trust the design, like the accuracy and love the price of building my own. I also carried one in the service.

I have to admit the Sig 556 Classic has always caught my eye with it's look, different design and folding stock option. There are 3 things that have dissuaded me from buying one so far: price, thinner barrel contour and front end weight. Still...I keep going back to wanting one.

Does anyone have objective feedback on this weapon and or opinions based on ownership, range time and experience?

THX

"If you seek peace, prepare for war"
And that is why it is called 9mm parabellum
gatorglockman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012, 08:15   #2
redcat11

I have a sig 556 and I love it. The sig 550 series where considered and still to some as one of the best assualt rifles in the world. I love the trigger on the weapon, crisp and clean. Cant get that on a standard AR. So my groupings on paper are pretty tight. Also cant beat the reliabiltiy due to its piston system. Another thing is that it will clean easily due to piston system. You may hear alot of negativity on the Sig but no complaints here and it is one of my favorite rifles I bring to the range, besides my AR's.
redcat11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012, 08:33   #3
Gdirty5

Mine isn't nearly as accurate as my other ar15s. My other ones are noveske's though. It's heavy but then again mine is the swat version. Find someone and shoot theirs before you buy.
Old 01-16-2012, 10:24   #4
fnfalman
Chicks Dig It

My 556 was bought used for $800 and I think that I overpaid. The quality of fit and finish are terrible with finish coating peeling off everywhere and feel rattly. I won't be buying another SIG rifle unless it's Swiss or German made.
Old 01-16-2012, 10:42   #5
gatorglockman

THX gents. After reading a long/interesting thread on this at sigarms556.com and another site...I think I will just build another AR or go the HK way/clone way. I can't see paying $1k for something with avg accuracy, poss QC issues (lottery system I guess) and other things I have heard.

It is a real shame as if they put a heavy barrel in it and tightened the design slightly, I bet it would be a gem of a rifle. I do get all of the pro's on the weapon that are out there and the looks are just kewl.

I am an AR/GLOCK/HK man primarily with 1 Sig to my name. I want to luv me some Sig but every time I try, that little voice in the back of my head keeps warning me..."You'll be sorry dude!"

Last edited by gatorglockman; 01-16-2012 at 10:43..
Old 01-16-2012, 10:46   #6
MakeMineA10mm
Lifetime Membership
300AAC brass

With the competition in the 5.56 assault rifle arena, combined with the down economy, right now is a great time to buy a Sig556. I bought one early on, but not early enough to score the Swiss-made parts (only assembled in USA). Therefore, mine is one of the "bad" ones that were early US-made parts. I must admit, I had some functioning issues with cheap ammo, but using M-193 or M-855 quality ammo, it's 100% reliable. I bought a real peep sight that mounts to the rail, and my buddy refinished his and mine in the "Sig Grey" cerakote, and I think it looks as good as it shoots now:

General Firearms Forum

My buddy was doing the refinish, because he decided he wanted a real Sig550-like rear sight set up. He bought a de-wat Sig receiver chunk with the original sight, cut if off, cut off his gun's picatinny rail so it butts up against the sight now, and welded the 550 sight onto his receiver and refinished both our guns. Here's his:
General Firearms Forum

General Firearms Forum

General Firearms Forum

General Firearms Forum

As far as the qualities of the weapon, I think you already have a good handle on the differences. I'd add that the trigger is amazing, and the accuracy is top-notch for a battle rifle. It may not beat Noveske's but that's apples and oranges, I think, because the Noveske's are custom and much more expensive. Put that kind of money into a Sig 556, and it would shoot right with the Noveske's I'm sure. (Really the only thing to do would be free-float a heavy barrel, which would probably cost less than a Noveske.)

With the iron sights on mine and M193 ammo, I was getting 4-5" groups at 200 yards, which is better than I thought I could shoot with these spectacles...

As far as a field-gun, it is a little heavy, but so was the Garand... I got a Giles Tactical Sling, and really like it as a carrying system.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
Looking for: FBI 100yr, Bell Helo, FOP Lodge1, Kiowa Warrior, SCI, and any new/unknown-to-me commemoratives.
MakeMineA10mm is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012, 16:52   #7
gatorglockman

MMA10, nice post, pics and custom job bro!

Yeah...went to the range today for some trigger time with the wife. This thing is still digging at me. I am slightly OCD..so I tend to be a fan boy of brand vs mix and match..collections need order, ha. If I do get the Sig, then I know what is next...more Sigs.

Old 03-04-2012, 16:23   #8
Pa.Bill

Sig 556 swat patrol

I have a SWAT PATROL 2, 3 years how.
The only CON I can give you is - not much in "AfterMarket"
shopping.

But the rifle is outstanding. I had one stove pipe and that was a reload.
Cleaning is easy but it don't get all that dirty.

Last edited by Pa.Bill; 03-06-2012 at 03:50..
Pa.Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 20:18   #9
Deployment Solu
Kydex Crafter

I had one last year. A friend of mine talked me out of it. It was the classic with Sig red dot sight. He still has it. great shooter and trigger was great!! I have too mny ARs to justify buying another. I like my ACR!!!!

The world needs less victims and more victors!!!!!
Deployment Solu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 20:27   #10
Foxtrotx1

Quote:
Originally Posted by redcat11 View Post
I have a sig 556 and I love it. The sig 550 series where considered and still to some as one of the best assualt rifles in the world. I love the trigger on the weapon, crisp and clean. Cant get that on a standard AR. So my groupings on paper are pretty tight. Also cant beat the reliabiltiy due to its piston system. Another thing is that it will clean easily due to piston system. You may hear alot of negativity on the Sig but no complaints here and it is one of my favorite rifles I bring to the range, besides my AR's.
What are you smoking? The SIG 556 is a different animal than the 550. Quality and materials wise.

Eagle Scout.
Foxtrotx1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 20:58   #11
Gdirty5

General Firearms Forum

it's been a while since I shot the pig...
Old 03-05-2012, 19:04   #12
azdave

I have two....one is a true "classic"....the other is one of the older versions with "classic" handguards added and a Magpul collapsible replacing the original.
Both have diopter sghts, and have never seen optics.
With irons, they do as well as my AR's and Daewoo's, also with irons......but I feel if you put optics on all the above, the Sig would fall last in the accuracy dept.
I do love that big ole piston...nothing fragile about that design.
azdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 19:15   #13
CMG

The heavy front, odd fore-end and poor sights were the main reasons I sold my 556. Never had any functional issues with it though. If you like the design, you'll be happy!

General Firearms Forum

Last edited by CMG; 03-05-2012 at 19:16..
CMG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 17:38   #14
captcurly

I have had two ARs and loved them. This past Oct. I switched to the Sig 556 Classic. I am very glad to have made the switch and the Sig is a great weapon. The piston system is easier to clean and maintain. My Sig also has an emergency sight system if your electronic sight systems fails. All in all I love the Sig and I am very happy with it. Again, less parts and easier to maintain. The adjustable folding stock is great. I am glad I made the switch and I am really enjoying the Sig.

It is all about shot placement.
captcurly is offline   Reply With Quote