Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 01-22-2012, 13:00   #1
Civilian sheep Dog

DPMS Sportical VS. S&W Sport Rifle

Hey guys, I have a few extra dollars coming back to me this year, went all of 2011 with no major purchases. Now I'm in the market for a AR. the two I have in mind are the DPMS Sportical rifle (223/5.56) or the S&W M&P Sport which is the same caliber AR. I'm kinda leaning towards the M&P curious if anyone out there has any experience with either of these rifles or would recommend either of them
Thanks
Civilian sheep Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2012, 14:58   #2
Bimmer1

The M&P 15 Sport model get lots of great reviews!!! If you want a bare bones AR the M&P 15 Sport isn't a bad way to go.
Bimmer1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2012, 16:00   #3
Reswob

Most would say both are crap, and you could find a much better AR for the money...
Reswob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2012, 16:11   #4
Javelin
Silver Membership
Got Glock?

Yeah I wouldn't choose either to be honest. I have better things to spend $600 bones on.
Disclaimer: This writer is not a lawyer. This product is meant for entertainment and fan or political fiction purposes only and writer accepts no liability. All material should be considered as infotainment only. Writer does not own any characters, topics or subject matter in this story. Any resemblance to real persons, living or dead is for entertainment only. If rash, irritation, redness, or swelling develops, discontinue reading immediately and consult your physician.
Javelin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2012, 16:20   #5
wrx04

I recently did all the research for my first AR, and it can get kinda overwhelming for a newbie. My conclusion was the Colt 6920 is the best bang for the buck out there. I got one for $957 shipped from dsgarms.com, which is pretty damn good (no tax either). Save up a couple hundred extra bucks.

The general consensus was colt, DD, or BCM is the only way to go if you plan on putting anything more than a couple hundred rounds through it. Buy once, cry once.

Good luck.
wrx04 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2012, 17:04   #6
zhix

Out of those twoI think pretty much everyone will favor the S&W hands down.

But yes, Colt 6920 for sure.
zhix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2012, 17:09   #7
Delcorbett

I got to handle a m&p 15 sport the other day and was impressed. It had a heavy barrel, and a magpul 30rnd mag, it was 629.99, cannot go wrong for the price.

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine
Delcorbett is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2012, 17:14   #8
bug

Quote:
Originally Posted by Civilian sheep Dog View Post
Hey guys, I have a few extra dollars coming back to me this year, went all of 2011 with no major purchases. Now I'm in the market for a AR. the two I have in mind are the DPMS Sportical rifle (223/5.56) or the S&W M&P Sport which is the same caliber AR. I'm kinda leaning towards the M&P curious if anyone out there has any experience with either of these rifles or would recommend either of them
Thanks
I do not Have either, so I don't really KNOW for sure but I have seen a lot of positive stuff about the M&P.

Also my understanding is that S&W is going to be offering a $100 rebate on M&P rifles so that should bring the price if you shop around to about $550 with tax out the door...
Old 01-22-2012, 17:20   #9
collim1
Shower Time!

I have zero experience with the DPMS, but the M&P sport is hard to beat for the money. I consider it a "range only" gun, but it is a great shooter.

Reliable and accurate.

Its a great choice for someone who doesn't need a rifle fit for the battlefield or patrol.

Last edited by collim1; 01-22-2012 at 17:45..
collim1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2012, 17:41   #10
Civilian sheep Dog

Cool thanks for the input
Old 01-22-2012, 21:58   #11
Civilian sheep Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by bug View Post
I do not Have either, so I don't really KNOW for sure but I have seen a lot of positive stuff about the M&P.

Also my understanding is that S&W is going to be offering a $100 rebate on M&P rifles so that should bring the price if you shop around to about $550 with tax out the door...
If it's the Jan-June promo it excludes the AR 15 sport. But non the less still a great deal for a reliable AR.
Old 01-22-2012, 22:32   #12
bigcountry31987

i am in the market for a ar-15 as well and the s&w sport looked good to me too but it doesn't have forward assist no dust cover...not saying u really need all that but cant hurt right ....from what a lot of guys told me go with either a stag or rock river ...u can get a nicer rifle for only a little more $$$$ ....also hear great things about palmetto state armory and their prices are awesome
Old 01-22-2012, 22:46   #13
emopunker2004
Da Jaila'

Send a message via AIM to emopunker2004
I say build your own. Buy an upper. Buy a stripped lower and lower parts kit.
PSA has good prices right now.

It doesn't work and you can't fire it.

Last edited by emopunker2004; 01-22-2012 at 22:47..
emopunker2004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2012, 22:51   #14
JaPes
Rimfire 1010101

I always love these types of replies. They're just so darn useful aren't they?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reswob View Post
Most would say both are crap, and you could find a much better AR for the money...
"Most would say..." Really? If "most" people think it's crap it's got to be true!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Javelin View Post
Yeah I wouldn't choose either to be honest. I have better things to spend $600 bones on.
No elaboration on why you wouldn't choose either? That's helpful.

Several others have asked the OP's question recently. I'll combine the posts I've written as replies:

I'll be honest. I was in the same position as you when deciding what AR to buy on a budget. Do I buy a complete rifle? Do I build a lower & top it off with an upper? When I started doing my initial research, I was overwhelmed with the myriad of AR build options & details.

Even though I'm mechanically inclined & a tinkerer, I erred on the side of caution. I purchased my S&W M&P 15-Sport. I don't delude myself into believing that I'm a "tactical operator". When I put my skills & use into context, the S&W M&P 15-Sport fulfills my needs at the right price.

While I understand the need for a dust cover, the omission of it wouldn't be an issue for my use. I'm at a range. I'm not running & gunning nor competing in any three gun competitions.

While I understand the purpose & function of a forward assist, the omission of it isn't an issue given my skill level. If a round does not fully chamber, I can gently push on the scallop on the bolt to get it into full battery. If the bolt does not go into battery, my inexperience with the AR platform combined with a forward assist could cause a bigger problem. I'd rather eject the round that won't properly chamber & inspect it, than be an idiot jamming on the forward assist making things worse.

While I understand the benefits of chrome lined barrels, the fact is that I'm obsessive about cleaning my firearms after every range visit. A chrome lined barrel isn't a priority for the way I will use an AR.

My lack of knowledge also gave me pause. If it breaks, will I have the tools, resources, & knowledge to fix it on my own? The S&W's limited lifetime factory warranty is a security blanket for this newbie AR owner.

General Firearms Forum

Is it the best? Is it the most tactical? Probably not. The S&W M&P 15-Sport is a good practical, all-round rifle. For this AR newb, it is serving as a great gateway to the AR addiction.

It's barrel is chambered for 5.56, so I can shoot .223 or 5.56. The 1:8 5R rifling is the "Goldilocks" rifling. I can shoot ammo with projectile weights in the middle of the range. I don't shoot projectile weights nearing either end of the range. The Melonite treatment makes cleaning easy.

As others have advised, you can assemble your own lower & top it off with a complete upper for about the same price. This advice & then post purchase reaction was always given with a good-hearted ribbing.

Being mechanically inclined & a tinkerer, I the thought of building a lower stuck with me. Having the S&W M&P 15-Sport allowed me to really look at the lower to see how it's all put together. I decided to give it a try.

General Firearms Forum

+

General Firearms Forum

+

General Firearms Forum

=

General Firearms Forum

I was a bit apprehensive to build my own lower. I shouldn't have been. If you follow directions step-by-step, assembling a lower is not difficult. I found it to be easy to do. The parts are as plug & play as they get.

Even though I built a budget lower, using standard parts, I take a measure of pride in assembling it. Assembling my own was also a learning experience. I know how a basic AR lower functions.

IMO, you can't go wrong either buying a complete rifle like a S&W M&P 15-Sport, or taking the plunge & assembling a lower + topping it off with a complete upper.

Either way, you'll end up with a good rifle within your budget.

As for me the more I learn about the AR, the more I realize that there's so much more I don't know. I'm always learning something new.

Good luck with your decision, & let us know how it turns out for you.

Cheers!
JaPes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2012, 23:18   #15
Javelin
Silver Membership
Got Glock?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JaPes View Post
I always love these types of replies. They're just so darn useful aren't they?

"Most would say..." Really? If "most" people think it's crap it's got to be true!

No elaboration on why you wouldn't choose either? That's helpful.

Several others have asked the OP's question recently. I'll combine the posts I've written as replies:

I'll be honest. I was in the same position as you when deciding what AR to buy on a budget. Do I buy a complete rifle? Do I build a lower & top it off with an upper? When I started doing my initial research, I was overwhelmed with the myriad of AR build options & details.

Even though I'm mechanically inclined & a tinkerer, I erred on the side of caution. I purchased my S&W M&P 15-Sport. I don't delude myself into believing that I'm a "tactical operator". When I put my skills & use into context, the S&W M&P 15-Sport fulfills my needs at the right price.

While I understand the need for a dust cover, the omission of it wouldn't be an issue for my use. I'm at a range. I'm not running & gunning nor competing in any three gun competitions.

While I understand the purpose & function of a forward assist, the omission of it isn't an issue given my skill level. If a round does not fully chamber, I can gently push on the scallop on the bolt to get it into full battery. If the bolt does not go into battery, my inexperience with the AR platform combined with a forward assist could cause a bigger problem. I'd rather eject the round that won't properly chamber & inspect it, than be an idiot jamming on the forward assist making things worse.

While I understand the benefits of chrome lined barrels, the fact is that I'm obsessive about cleaning my firearms after every range visit. A chrome lined barrel isn't a priority for the way I will use an AR.

My lack of knowledge also gave me pause. If it breaks, will I have the tools, resources, & knowledge to fix it on my own? The S&W's limited lifetime factory warranty is a security blanket for this newbie AR owner.

General Firearms Forum

Is it the best? Is it the most tactical? Probably not. The S&W M&P 15-Sport is a good practical, all-round rifle. For this AR newb, it is serving as a great gateway to the AR addiction.

It's barrel is chambered for 5.56, so I can shoot .223 or 5.56. The 1:8 5R rifling is the "Goldilocks" rifling. I can shoot ammo with projectile weights in the middle of the range. I don't shoot projectile weights nearing either end of the range. The Melonite treatment makes cleaning easy.

As others have advised, you can assemble your own lower & top it off with a complete upper for about the same price. This advice & then post purchase reaction was always given with a good-hearted ribbing.

Being mechanically inclined & a tinkerer, I the thought of building a lower stuck with me. Having the S&W M&P 15-Sport allowed me to really look at the lower to see how it's all put together. I decided to give it a try.

General Firearms Forum

+

General Firearms Forum

+

General Firearms Forum

=

General Firearms Forum

I was a bit apprehensive to build my own lower. I shouldn't have been. If you follow directions step-by-step, assembling a lower is not difficult. I found it to be easy to do. The parts are as plug & play as they get.

Even though I built a budget lower, using standard parts, I take a measure of pride in assembling it. Assembling my own was also a learning experience. I know how a basic AR lower functions.

IMO, you can't go wrong either buying a complete rifle like a S&W M&P 15-Sport, or taking the plunge & assembling a lower + topping it off with a complete upper.

Either way, you'll end up with a good rifle within your budget.

As for me the more I learn about the AR, the more I realize that there's so much more I don't know. I'm always learning something new.

Good luck with your decision, & let us know how it turns out for you.

Cheers!
Defend your purchase & methods all you want. Most of us have and have owned the brands. I wouldn't waste my $600 on either of those rifles.

Why even bother saying more?
Disclaimer: This writer is not a lawyer. This product is meant for entertainment and fan or political fiction purposes only and writer accepts no liability. All material should be considered as infotainment only. Writer does not own any characters, topics or subject matter in this story. Any resemblance to real persons, living or dead is for entertainment only. If rash, irritation, redness, or swelling develops, discontinue reading immediately and consult your physician.
Old 01-22-2012, 23:27   #16
JaPes
Rimfire 1010101

Quote:
Defend your purchase & methods all you want. Most of us have and have owned the brands. I wouldn't waste my $600 on either of those rifles.

I was relating why, as a new AR owner, I made my choice. Maybe the OP can find something useful in it, and put it into the context of his choice.

I'll reiterate that the S&W M&P Sport may not be the best rifle, but it is a good gateway to the AR addiction.

Why bother saying more? Because the information/experience you have can possibly help those of us that don't have the same level of experience as you.

Last edited by JaPes; 01-22-2012 at 23:30..
Old 01-22-2012, 23:33   #17
Javelin
Silver Membership
Got Glock?

Quote:
I was relating why, as a new AR owner, I made my choice. Maybe the OP can find something useful in it, and put it into the context of his choice.

I'll reiterate that the S&W M&P Sport may not be the best rifle, but it is a good gateway to the AR addiction.

Why bother saying more? Because the information/experience you have can possibly help those of us that don't have the same level of experience as you.
There is a search button if the OP is really looking into serious ARs.
Old 01-22-2012, 23:36   #18
Tim151515
iHeartGuns

Quote:

I know right. an ar rifle is only good if it is ready to go to battle in the mountains of afghanistan right now. those people who just want one to have fun with at the range without all the extra features that is the price of a handgun or less are just wasting their money
Tim151515 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2012, 23:41   #19
JaPes
Rimfire 1010101

Quote:
Quote:
There is a search button if the OP is really looking into serious ARs.
Ok then.
Old 01-22-2012, 23:47   #20
JaPes
Rimfire 1010101

I took a look at a picture of the DPMS Sportical. The exterior difference, other than the front sights, that stood out is that the DPMS Sportical does not have a brass deflector by the ejection port whereas the M&P Sport does.

If you're a left-handed shooter, it could be an important difference.